g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Antony image 21

Antony Brazil flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He needs to improve on his weaker foot and he's young enough to improve in that regard. But apart from that he was probably our most threatening player imo and our lack of midfield control in possession makes like very difficult for the forwards. And when you have a lack of technical security in central areas of the pitch, then problems will arise.

Abraxas

I'm not bothered about the one footedness. One great foot is better than two mediocre ones. He's got a lovely touch and ability to him.

What bothers me more is him and Sancho together, and the dynamic with our fullbacks playing central. They always cut inside and recycle possession with no forward momentum. Between them they probably run into the box without the ball twice a game. There's not enough drive at the business end of the pitch at the moment, especially without Rashford.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I'm not bothered about the one footedness. One great foot is better than two mediocre ones. He's got a lovely touch and ability to him.

What bothers me more is him and Sancho together, and the dynamic with our fullbacks playing central. They always cut inside and recycle possession with no forward momentum. Between them they probably run into the box without the ball twice a game. There's not enough drive at the business end of the pitch at the moment, especially without Rashford.
its a pretty stupid system. the most skillfull players play further away from the danger areas than Dalot and Shaw who are defenders

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When Ronaldo is on the pitch this kid sees no other option. Ronaldo could be marked by 10, he'd still try and play him in. His fanboyism murdered many a counter today.

Marwood

Its not that he's just very one footed.

It's his entire body. Everthing about the way he shapes himself is to come inside.

Even when he was round Burn you could see him itching to stop, let Burn back and cut inside.

Has to sort that out.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Plenty of great players have been one-footed. The best player of all time barely uses his right foot.
The comparison isn't fair since players like Messi or Robben were great enough to create more space (through their technical abilites or speed/power) so they actually have the time to use their left foot in pretty much any occasion.

Di Maria would be a more reasonable target since he's almost totally one footed (and it would already be great for Antony to reach Di Maria's level bar his United period).

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
End product wasn't there for him today, but showed a lot more pace and directness.

Absolutely murdered Burn on the outside a few times which was great to see, hopefully this is a sign his confidence and fitness is building.

Agreed with the others though, he's looking for Ronaldo too often.

Catalandevil

He played quite good and was probably our best attacker. Dalot needs to do what Shaw was doing in the other side of the pitch.

georgipep

He needs to improve on his weaker foot and he's young enough to improve in that regard. But apart from that he was probably our most threatening player imo and our lack of midfield control in possession makes like very difficult for the forwards. And when you have a lack of technical security in central areas of the pitch, then problems will arise.
Lack of midfield control in possession? What do you mean? In my opinion, we completely controlled the midfield battle and, especially in the second half, controlled possession very well today.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Doesn't look like an 84m player to me. His final ball is absolutely awful.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His lack of pace is worrying, he won't be a world beater with no real pace and no right foot. Merge him with Valencia and you will have a wonderful player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was fine. Probably our best non defensive player on the day. I just wish we had a fullback who could overlap or ETH would instruct Dalot too. Makes no sense for him to be inside given he isn't much of a passer or dribbler (Dalot)

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Decent game, he was very involved and that means you can't quite make everything right but the fee will automatically put a lot of pressure on him with a stupid fanbase and sensationalist "journalists"..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought he did pretty well, took the ball up the pitch well for us despite lacking support. It’s early days but he’s a good prospect.
He wasn't terrible (as many are saying). More okay in a terrible team performance.

flappyjay

Doesn't look like an 84m player to me. His final ball is absolutely awful.
And his left foot seems useful only when given the space to cut in. If he is so one footed he has to get very good at cutting in. Robben levels of cutting in.

Red-17

I think we need to make more use of either a under or overlapping runs to open up things onto his left foot. If the second defender has to track a player running to the goal line, he will be able to cut in and beat his first man almost every time. Right now though, we have too many times where Dalot is sitting off or in midfield and the striker is not in the picture occupying a defender which means he becomes predictable. He doesn't have to be a player who dribbles to the byline to put a right footed cross in to be successful. We have seen he has top quality passing to be able to pick out players who can in turn make those cut backs/crosses. City do this all the time with Foden and Silva also being incredibly one footed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Playing with inverted wingers making us look worse. It's all well and good doing it if you have top fullbacks but we don't.

Red-17

Our fullbacks don’t even attempt to go on the outside.
It would be nice if any of the journalists actually had a thought to ask him his ideas on this rather than 20 inevitable questions that will be asked about Ronaldo shaking his head or some other pointless drama.

Dorris

Playing with inverted wingers making us look worse. It's all well and good doing it if you have top fullbacks but we don't.
We don’t play with inverted wingers? Clearly our full backs tuck in and our wingers hold the width. That’s a fairly obvious trait of Ten Hag’s United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lack of midfield control in possession? What do you mean? In my opinion, we completely controlled the midfield battle and, especially in the second half, controlled possession very well today.
We had possession without actually doing much with it. And the biggest culprits were Fred and Bruno imo. We don't have a central midfielder who has the ability to quicken the tempo by opening up passing angles via evading pressure or carrying the ball centrally. And hence it puts alot of pressure on the wide players to deliver. Eriksen will alleviate some of those problems but unfortunately the central midfield combinations today were just not good enough.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
His determination to try and find Ronaldo with every ball, regardless of probability, was infuriating. Our players' hero worship of the man needs to stop.

Skills

Snitch
The comparison isn't fair since players like Messi or Robben were great enough to create more space (through their technical abilites or speed/power) so they actually have the time to use their left foot in pretty much any occasion.

Di Maria would be a more reasonable target since he's almost totally one footed (and it would already be great for Antony to reach Di Maria's level bar his United period).
Di Maria was blisteringly quick though, and at times a creative genius

georgipep

We had possession without actually doing much with it. And the biggest culprits were Fred and Bruno imo. We don't have a central midfielder who has the ability to quicken the tempo by opening up passing angles via evading pressure or carrying the ball centrally. And hence it puts alot of pressure on the wide players to deliver. Eriksen will alleviate some of those problems but unfortunately the central midfield combinations today were just not good enough.
I think the problem was the lack of movement in Ronaldo and to a certain extent Sancho. To make an incisive pass through the lines, someone has to make themselves available. Bruno is very good at that when receiving on the edge of the penalty box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the problem was the lack of movement in Ronaldo and to a certain extent Sancho. To make an incisive pass through the lines, someone has to make themselves available. Bruno is very good at that when receiving on the edge of the penalty box.
I agree mate, that was also a problem.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Di Maria was blisteringly quick though, and at times a creative genius
True, but Antony will have to find something, either a useable right foot, or an extra spark of creativity/pace, otherwise he'll be a very predictable winger with a nice touch and that's not enough.

flameinthesun

They're all at it when he plays
Part of the reason I want Ronnie gone, this team just needs a fresh start without so much baggage.

As far as Antony goes, he has the desire and work ethic, was actually happy to see him go on the outside more than he has done in previous games. So hopefully he keeps improving. He's still new to the league though so so far so good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mixed bag from him. Showed some good directness at times, always keeps it well, final ball was horrible though. Young winger, it happens is basically what this is. Needs to learn to use his right foot a bit more though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We don’t play with inverted wingers? Clearly our full backs tuck in and our wingers hold the width. That’s a fairly obvious trait of Ten Hag’s United.
Yeah we do. Rashford/Sancho are right footed who play on the left and Antony is all left foot playing on the right.

Matt851

It seems to me we have paid about double what he is worth because ETH was insistent on signing someone he worked with or because he wanted a left footed right winger and we couldn't find any others. Either it's not a great look for us given how many issues we have across the team

Bobski

Nani had countless shocking performances far worse than Antony was today. Literally his biggest critique from fans was his inconsistency.
True, but Nani was a huge talent, more talented that Antony I would say though it doesn't mean he will not be better.

Red-17

Can’t take on a man
Can’t cross properly
Decides to play every ball to cr7 despite having better choices

He has to improve a lot
His opposing fullback got subbed off on a yellow card because his manager thought he would get sent off. Antony dribbled by him a handful of times and was generally very good in posession. Yeah his final ball wasn't great today, but to say he can't cross properly is just wrong. Even on Thursday he put the ball on a plate for Fred who should have scored from one of his crosses.

Yeah he needs to improve, but you cannot deny that he is already a very good player who is contributing a lot to our team in all phases of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.