5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

He’s been very good but we overpaid and maybe we should have prioritized other positions.
Nobody is going to agree with you on this. Martinez has helped our defense keep so many clean sheets this season. I don't know why he's included in this Antony criticism.

BarryWinks

I think the fact that he's Brazilian has deceive a lot of people. That and the fact that he cost what he did.

If you think of him as a defensive winger that should soften the blow. His main job is to give us balance and support the fullback down his side. Will obviously pop up with the occasional goal, but don't expect fecking Denilson.

CloneMC16

This man isn't it. His lack of right foot is the most frustrating thing for me. It forces him to constantly have to cut back and use his left. I understand why Bruno was having a go at him in the 1st half for doing it. He did go outside once today, which was extremely surprising. He made a good run and won us a corner. Most of the time, he slows our attack down like crazy, and is way too predictable.

He's going to have to massively improve to look like a good player.

Kostov

Nobody is going to agree with you on this. Martinez has helped our defense keep so many clean sheets this season. I don't know why he's included in this Antony criticism.
I think Casemiro helped us more and transformed the team. Martinez has been a good addition, my point being we have two international CBs on the bench while having to resort to loaning Weghorst from
a championship side for our attack to have a striker.

Bwuk

I like Antony, but it does feel at times like he’s an aggressive Sancho.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Jeez, of course we over paid, but people need to chill out.

He's only 22, he's coming from the eredivise and he's still got 5 goals for us this season.

Does he have areas to improve on? of course he does. He's not going to stay at this level physically, technically or mentally for his whole career though.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
I like Antony, but it does feel at times like he’s an aggressive Sancho.
Sancho is twice the player, if/when he gets his mojo back. People really forget just how good he was at Dortmund and how young he still is.

Antony fits ten Hags system well but for the money paid.. yikes. He isn't a bad player but there is nothing really standout in him, Garnacho on the other hand looks like you might hit the jackpot with that kid.

BlueHaze

What the hell Bruno done to rile him up so much that he called bruno a son of a wh#re about ten times!!! How can you say that to your own teammate. He was poor today. He needs to become more creative. Stats showed he was on the top charts worldwide in terms of dribbling at Ajax.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's a project for sure. He might turn out to be an excellent player one day, and he is very talented and has raw attributes... But he is getting bullied in the Prem so far.
It's a massive issue if we're spending 80m+ even in today's market on players that are projects.

I worry he's a dud. He's like a tik-tok footballer.

Orion.

I think Casemiro helped us more and transformed the team. Martinez has been a good addition, my point being we have two international CBs on the bench while having to resort to loaning Weghorst from
a championship side for our attack to have a striker.
Factor in Shaw too, who I think would be Varane’s ideal partner moving forwards. There are rumours Real want Martinez, and I’d be compelled to move him on quickly if there’s profit to be had and reinvested, because the lack of legitimate forward options and midfield depth will hinder United over the next 18 months.

Antony is an absolute dud by anybody’s standards. Will be hard to shift him on for anywhere near that price too - he’s a Lyon level player at best.

justboy68

The days of torching full backs for pace are largely gone now in the PL imo. Even Rashford couldn't do his man for pace tonight. These days full backs are probably the most rapid players on the park on average. A lot of your fullbacks now are absolute athletes who couldn't quite cut it technically as wingers, rather than centre back converts. You have to be able to be unpredictable, weaving in and out, this is the main worry with Antony imo. Too one footed and too predictable at the moment.

Marwood

He's more tenacious in working off the ball, but on the ball, they have the same flaws and weaknesses.
Disagree.

Antony's big problem right now is decision making. Right now he's going through entire games struggling to make the right move at the right time.

That's not the case with Sancho. He's generally a smart player. He's just not physically in shape. Nothing more to it really.

FriedClams

His first touch is spectacular, and the ball is glued to his feet. Strikes me as having a skill set to play the #10 role.

Eddy_JukeZ

Disagree.

Antony's big problem right now is decision making. Right now he's going through entire games struggling to make the right move at the right time.

That's not the case with Sancho. He's generally a smart player. He's just not physically in shape. Nothing more to it really.
They both lack top end pace, their passing at times can both be erratic(Sancho is generally better here, but hasn't showed it at the club) and they both seem to lose confidence easily(arguably subjective from my end).

They're not that dissimilar imo.

NK86

What the hell Bruno done to rile him up so much that he called bruno a son of a wh#re about ten times!!! How can you say that to your own teammate. He was poor today. He needs to become more creative. Stats showed he was on the top charts worldwide in terms of dribbling at Ajax.
Yeah, could clearly see him mouthing "puta" to Bruno multiple times. Bruno moans a lot at his teammates and I guess that just riled Antony up. Doubt there's anything more to it.

However people who have faith that Antony will come good soon - I wish I had the same faith as you lot. He just does not seem to have the arsenal in his locker to be a top winger. Too one-footed, one-trick pony and his passing isn't too incisive and his crossing is almost non-existent as he does not like to use his right foot, is not blistering fast either.

I just don't see it with him yet. Seems like someone who will be decent for us but won't really set the world alight. Really sad how our attacking options look considering how much we have spent on that part of the team over the last few years.

mav_9me

Big worry for me. Right now we have 2 attackers performing, Rashford and Garnacho. That's it.

Our RW is cursed.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm trying to be calm and give him the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see it with him, does the manager have a blind spot with this player
He did push for the move I'm pretty sure.

We can only hope Antony improves, because I think the match-going fans might turn on him soon.

He's a very frustrating player to watch.

Marwood

They both lack top end pace, their passing at times can both be erratic(Sancho is generally better here, but hasn't showed it at the club) and they both seem to lose confidence easily(arguably subjective from my end).

They're not that dissimilar imo.
I mean we can say there's a lack of pace and erratic passing about a few of our players. I don't think that makes them all similar.

They're both wide players so yeah there'll always be some similarities but outside of that their big problems are really quite different.

Antony needs time. If he sorts his decision making, does things a bit quicker, he'd look twice the player.

The Purley King

Big worry for me. Right now we have 2 attackers performing, Rashford and Garnacho. That's it.

Our RW is cursed.
So start garnacho……..
Maybe not problem solved as he has his off games too but when he has the ball defenders are immediately shitting themselves. I don’t see that ever with Antony

Skills

Snitch
He's more tenacious in working off the ball, but on the ball, they have the same flaws and weaknesses.
You don't get the sort of productivity Sancho had at Dortmund by accident. We've been it with Haaland, that it's not just cause it was a poor league - because if that's the reason, the Dutch League is far, far poorer than the Bundesliga.

mav_9me

So start garnacho……..
Maybe not problem solved as he has his off games too but when he has the ball defenders are immediately shitting themselves. I don’t see that ever with Antony
Well ETH probably knows better.

But I am honestly desperate to see Pellestri at least get 30 mins here and there. And start some games. Honestly don't want to see Antony or Bruno on RW.

The Purley King

Well ETH probably knows better.

But I am honestly desperate to see Pellestri at least get 30 mins here and there. And start some games. Honestly don't want to see Antony or Bruno on RW.
It’s not a huge leap from coming on with 20 to go , to starting the game.
I hope ETH has the balls to go for it on Sunday.
pellestri I rate highly and he could easily be in the picture too

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a massive issue if we're spending 80m+ even in today's market on players that are projects.

I worry he's a dud. He's like a tik-tok footballer.
Yeah the money for sure was an example of the previous bad spend. We did need a left footed right winger and it's true there aren't many of them around. But Antony is someone who should have been half the cost and then hope he comes good.

Eddy_JukeZ

You don't get the sort of productivity Sancho had at Dortmund by accident. We've been it with Haaland, that it's not just cause it was a poor league - because if that's the reason, the Dutch League is far, far poorer than the Bundesliga.
Sancho definitely has a higher floor/ceiling than Antony.

Issue is that I think he's best from the left and Rashford is just a better player than him.

Skills

Snitch
Sancho definitely has a higher floor/ceiling than Antony.

Issue is that I think he's best from the left and Rashford is just a better player than him.
I don't think this is necessarily true though. I think in his best season at Dortmund he mainly started on the right IIRC.

I actually think he's worse on the left - doesn't have the right passing angles for the way he plays.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think this is necessarily true though. I think in his best season at Dortmund he mainly started on the right IIRC.

I actually think he's worse on the left - doesn't have the right passing angles for the way he plays.
Interestingly, I think for how he plays stylistically, he is better on the left.

But I hope when he comes back, he finds some form, because all our attackers are misfiring besides Rashford/Garnacho.

RaulitoElCrack

Annoying thing is even when he does get past a full back which is very rare, he will always be giving the full back an oppurtunity to get a foot in or make a tackle without the full back having to go through him and foul him. On the right wing as a left footed player who has probably never touched the ball with his right foot in his career, if he goes around the outside he cannot get his body between the full back and the ball and be dribbling since he only has 1 foot that works, this makes him easy to dispossess.

Hence every single time he cuts in on his left foot and has no confidence to go on the outside.
Nowhere near a €100 million player, too easy to defend against.

ZainCRse7en

Really dont get why our expensive 100m wingers in sancho and anthony are so underwhelming when you have so many inexpensive wingers in the league such as Mitoma, Almiron, Saka, Martinelli, just to name a few…skinning fullbacks inside out game after game. Gosh i really miss those days when we had proper intense wingers.

Long Time Red

Jeez, of course we over paid, but people need to chill out.

He's only 22, he's coming from the eredivise and he's still got 5 goals for us this season.

Does he have areas to improve on? of course he does. He's not going to stay at this level physically, technically or mentally for his whole career though.
Yep, I think defenders have now figured him and have seen what he likes to do so it's now up to him to adapt and improve.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Annoying thing is even when he does get past a full back which is very rare, he will always be giving the full back an oppurtunity to get a foot in or make a tackle without the full back having to go through him and foul him. On the right wing as a left footed player who has probably never touched the ball with his right foot in his career, if he goes around the outside he cannot get his body between the full back and the ball and be dribbling since he only has 1 foot that works, this makes him easy to dispossess.

Hence every single time he cuts in on his left foot and has no confidence to go on the outside.
Nowhere near a €100 million player, too easy to defend against.
He'll get there eventually, Luke Shaw's right foot used to be for standing on, now he's even scoring with it

MUFC OK

Is it crazy to say that long term, I’m more worried about Anthony than Sancho?

His lack of pace and right foot makes him very one dimensional.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do people think building up his upper body strength will help? Like with Sancho is a fear of being brushed off the ball not Antony to take on his man?

Suv666

Not good enough. I'll be surprised if he manages to turn it around. Hasn't had a single impressive performance so far, even in games he's scored he's been largely anonymous.
Big fecking mistake this.

Status
Not open for further replies.