5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyRoc

There was space to drive at the opposition tonight due to Wan Bisaka literally locking the right hand side down and he just couldn’t do it. I’ve been wrong about players before but I’ll be astounded if he’s ever more than a decent rotation option.

Irwin99

I never feel like he's making chances for other forwards. His play in terms of retaining the ball and getting out of tight situations is very good but he just doesn't seem to create any chances.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s weird he looks like he’s absolutely rapid when he knocks the ball down the line but then the defender is almost always in control.

kundalini

Had one run down the touch-line that resulted in us winning a corner. Came as shock to me as normally he'll slow down, let the opposing defender catch up with him, then pass the ball backwards. One of his shots looked to have taken a slight deflection which wasn't noticed by the officials. Another very tame shot, easy save. And then his lob that went wide, that perhaps was a better chance than it first seemed, after Palace's defenders had left Casemiro's pass to each other.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Was he like this at Ajax?

He just doesn’t do anything, apart from the quick short pass.
I recently watched some vids / compilations and I'd we got what we payed for. His compilations are mostly tricks, dribles outside od dangerous area and some goals (mostly exactly what he's been scoring for us).

He very rarely creates a chance on those videos as well.

Bizarre transfer, honestly I think the club was in panic mode when we decided that spending 80m for Antony was a good idea (and someone approved it).

El Jefe

I said it earlier we paid £84m for Erik Lamela, the spurs version.

Some posters actually tried convincing themselves that he would magically be able to cross a ball now that Weghorst is in the side. There's far more potential in Sancho and Amad and I'm hoping EtH doesn't get too attached to the idea of Antony and recognises we have better options at the club already.

BlueHaze

Don't bitch about spending the money. This was 100% ETH signing. He taken players from former clubs wherever he went. He let them know the moment the window opened he wanted Antony and they signed him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will say it again, Pellistri is a better winger than him.

justboy68

He's looking very poor at the moment, but it's still early days got to have patience. However I would strongly consider dropping him at the weekend and playing him in the cup games instead.

saivet

I recently watched some vids / compilations and I'd we got what we payed for. His compilations are mostly tricks, dribles outside od dangerous area and some goals (mostly exactly what he's been scoring for us).

He very rarely creates a chance on those videos as well.

Bizarre transfer, honestly I think the club was in panic mode when we decided that spending 80m for Antony was a good idea (and someone approved it).
Agreed about his compilations videos, which weren't that impressive and that's always a worry with an attacker as these are there best moments.

Different type of player but I got the same impression from Depay's comps in Holland, just a bit underwhelmed.

He's still young and has time to improve so hopefully he can up the levels.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a project for sure. He might turn out to be an excellent player one day, and he is very talented and has raw attributes... But he is getting bullied in the Prem so far.

PoTMS

The thing is, I don't even see the potential. He's bang average.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think he plays / played better with Dalot behind him.

Paul778

Will say it again, Pellistri is a better winger than him.
If we are just picking Anthony for his contribution to the system then that's really crap. It says something that AWB is now the dominant threat from the RW (not that I'm underplaying his improvement)

Agreed. Would have had Pellistri on at half time

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It’s weird he looks like he’s absolutely rapid when he knocks the ball down the line but then the defender is almost always in control.
It's because he doesn't have the ability to change direction quickly at full speed. His ball handling his bang average and his steps are deceptively light. A good winger would either beat his defender with sheer speed and power, or he would throw him off balance with quick left/right steps so the defender can't run in line. Antony can't do any of those things.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He really has not been very good for us. Quite incredible how we spent £155m on two wingers and both of them seem to be completely incapable of going past a single defender.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Genuinely thought that we had messed up big time with Sancho but this guy is next level. There’s hardly been one moment so far when I have thought that wow we got ourselves a special player

Newtonius

Ajax laughing all the way to the bank this is ETH's Maguire why the feck was he so desperate for him, he literally plays like a one footed Sancho that runs about a bit more.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He really has not been very good for us. Quite incredible how we spent £155m on two wingers and both of them seem to be completely incapable of going past a single defender.
We should call Brighton up for tips on how to scout wingers, they absolutely stole Mitoma.

Antony was terrible tonight mainly because he not only was mediocre creatively, but he lost the ball so much more than normal

The Irish Connection

Reminds me of the fella Arsenal paid similar money for unfortunately. Pepe was it? He’s probably our best option at the moment but I wouldn’t be against giving Pellistri chances.

Rossa

His passing under pressure is extremely underrated. Does not give up the ball easily.

IMO good finisher, passer, works hard, has trickery but no pace is my evaluation. I think that's more than enough to succeed here.

He could've been a Robben regen with a bit more pace but I think he has other stuff in his locker to compensate.
To be fair a fair few did and a lot others said he was rapid. He has a spurt that weakens after a few yards and then he is easily caught up.
He did more in a foot race against that defender than Rashford managed later on in the game. Could very well be that the other guy was just fast, and even then Antony looked a little bit quicker even with the ball, but had to try and get around him. CP is a very physical side with plenty of fast players.

He’s fast. Not young Giggs fast, but he’s fast enough. Quicker than anything City have on their wings.

speed wasn’t an issue tonight. He was just rubbish.

el3mel

Sancho was bad but at least you can point out his problems is the lack of physical abilities or inability to influence the game consistently. However he still had some sparks here and there that showed he still had some talent down there.

I see nothing special in this game. He looks really bang average in his runs and dribbling.

Don't know how he performed with Ajax for us to pay just crazy amount of money.

Frank Grimes

He did more in a foot race against that defender than Rashford managed later on in the game. Could very well be that the other guy was just fast, and even then Antony looked a little bit quicker even with the ball, but had to try and get around him. CP is a very physical side with plenty of fast players.

He’s fast. Not young Giggs fast, but he’s fast enough. Quicker than anything City have on their wings.

speed wasn’t an issue tonight. He was just rubbish.
You said he was rapid. He's not, accelerates for a few seconds, gives it the road runner legs but ultimate rarely gets away. Reminds me of Januzaj in that respect. He lacks true pace.
City are hardly pulling up trees since they lost their speediest winger in Sterling. True pace is important for a ball carrying wide player.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Do you remember when United wingers could beat a full back?
I mean we have a 18-year-old kid on the other wing who can beat a full-back regularly. Which makes Antony's inability to do that slightly more annoying. Still, Antony could make up for it if his crossing and passing was excellent, but he showed nothing in that regard as well.

The team looks in better shape with him on that right wing, but that's about it.

VanBasten

Supports
Ajax
It pains me to say this but he just isn't good enough for United and the Premier League.

Many of us here at Ajax already questioned his ability to play at a higher level before United made its move.

fallengt

I dont care about his pricetag but with this decision making he shouldn't play for any top club.
This why i dont trust attackers from Dutch league.

BarryWinks

Yeah couldn’t stand the number of stupid cnuts wanting us to splash that on him ffs. There’s a reason why no one from the Dutch league has gone for that amount before and this fraud defo shouldn’t have been the first.
I consider myself someone who hates the money thrown about in football nowadays, and can honestly not wait for the bubble to burst. Even so I could understand paying ridiculous money for proven world class players, I'd pay 100M for a Kane, Mbappe, frigging Haaland, maybe even the likes of Pedri, but the absolute state of football now when players like Anthony, Nunez, Murdyrk are costing €100M a bob.

Back to thread, even forgetting what he cost, there is just a reluctance to take players on unfortunately, which would be so important for us seeing how Rashford is our biggest source of goals on the other wing and even he is not a very strong dribbler. Imagine what this team would do with a Dortmund Sancho on the right, or a Hazard, or a frigging Dembele.

The crazy thing for us is we could have gotten the likes of Eze, Moussa Diaby and maybe even a wild punt on some other winger for about (or less than €80M) and they'd have given us similar, if not the same level of effectiveness as him. I guess we just have to hope he turns it around somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.