Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
His shooting is so infuriatingly stupid.

Why does he not realise that keepers always cheat with him by taking a step to their right when he cuts in for a shot. They know precisely what he is going to do. So try to catch them out and whip it into the near post sometimes.

Abhinav

He is very raw. Needs to use his team mates more and stop shooting at every opportunity, use his body to go past and stay ahead of people. He showed great skill to bring down an aerial ball, got in front of the defender, and then stopped and allowed the defender to catch-up. Needs a lot of coaching if he has to create impact.

edgecutter

His shooting is becoming annoying and as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. Still very raw.

HookedOnAPhelan

That bit of defending around the 72 minute mark was unreal. They were progressing the ball towards our corner flag, Antony and Varane dispossessed them and Antony managed to work the ball out and it started an attack. It was great.
If that was the situation after Bruno misplaced the pass in midfield then yeah, it was fantastic. But he won't get any credit for that with some people, because he didn't dribble someone. Or something.

Rustyspider13

People need to manage their expectations for Antony. No, he's not worth the fee we paid for him and that's not his fault. He won't go outside the defender, he'll rarely beat his man and he will almost always try the curler. He might add to his game as he develops but for now he is a player with obvious weaknesses.

But his strengths are obvious too. He is great at retaining possession, has fantastic workrate and most importantly, can pick out a precise, well weighted pass into the box-something that a lot of our players lack. He, like Sancho, will only look dangerous when he has players he can link up with because atm he doesn't have the physical gifts to make it happen all on his own, except the rare times when he puts in the top corner.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't rate him at all as an attacker but today he played well. Weird pass for Sabitzer as he I've never seen him doing that kind of attempt but somehow this worked today. Hopefully this gives him confidence to keep doing other stuff than shooting whenever he gets an opportunity.

In a game where he sees a lot of ball around the box he can contribute offensively, to a little extent but still better than usual. He is ok against this level of opponent.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People say he has one trick... But I feel like that trick is the equivalent of me grabbing a deck of cards and proclaiming "I know where the queen of hearts is" and then just randomly drawing cards until I find it.

Other then that... He was okay? worked hard for the team.

El Presidente

Imagine James dealing with the balls that get fired into Antony, silly comment.
Imagine Antony beting a man. Obviously Dan James was also shocking, so let's just say that both were not and will hardly ever be good enough. At least in Antony's case I can say it with certainty because you'll hardly see a winger with such overwhelming deficiencies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People say he has one trick... But I feel like that trick is the equivalent of me grabbing a deck of cards and proclaiming "I know where the queen of hearts is" and then just randomly drawing cards until I find it.

Yeah, his one trick was particularly bad tonight. He did work hard and I’m always loathe to criticise players who put a shift in but still… he needs to start offering more in attack. A lot more.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Imagine Antony beting a man. Obviously Dan James was also shocking, so let's just say that both were not and will hardly ever be good enough. At least in Antony's case I can say it with certainty because you'll hardly see a winger with such overwhelming deficiencies.
I mean Antony does beat men (one for the posts that feel sexual thread), he doesn't do it enough I agree, but his technique is very good, I feel like he makes us better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

He's desperate for a goal, and it will only get worse IMO as he isn't even hitting a target, let alone scoring.
We're better off when he's actually trying to do anything else than to shoot.

Tiber

He worked his ass off today, but he is an incredibly frustrating player

Matt851

People need to manage their expectations for Antony. No, he's not worth the fee we paid for him and that's not his fault. He won't go outside the defender, he'll rarely beat his man and he will almost always try the curler. He might add to his game as he develops but for now he is a player with obvious weaknesses.

But his strengths are obvious too. He is great at retaining possession, has fantastic workrate and most importantly, can pick out a precise, well weighted pass into the box-something that a lot of our players lack. He, like Sancho, will only look dangerous when he has players he can link up with because atm he doesn't have the physical gifts to make it happen all on his own, except the rare times when he puts in the top corner.
I keep reading he is great at retaining possession but how does that tally with him taking 10 shit shots a game?

wangyu

Why all the complaining, we won a hard fought game, the opponent was generally nowhere, everybody did their duty. This Brentford team are no mugs… Don’t forget we’re missing some key players, this is as good as its gonna get for now…
Get behind the players, they need all support, we can still win 2 cups!

As for Antony, he was our most lively player first half, maybe you rather have him don’t take shots on goal?

Dominos

He is so infuriating. Has 10 shots per game all miles wide or tame shots that the keeper easily handles. Every so often one will find the top corner but it's not worth it.

Nice pass to Sabitzer for the goal.

Matt851

Why all the complaining, we won a hard fought game, the opponent was generally nowhere, everybody did their duty. This Brentford team are no mugs… Don’t forget we’re missing some key players, this is as good as its gonna get for now…
Get behind the players, they need all support, we can still win 2 cups!

As for Antony, he was our most lively player first half, maybe you rather have him don’t take shots on goal?
I would actually rather he didn't take shots at the moment

El Jefe

Just like the last game, I feel we actually got a good Antony game today, but a good Antony game is still pretty insignificant. He used the ball well and helped progress the ball but we can't kid ourselves and think this is enough.

His curled shots might be the new version of Rooney's chips. Great when they go in but horribly inefficient and a lot of the time not damgerous at all. They either go well wide or tamely into the keepers hands.

I think his ceiling here is a squad player. Don't see a scenario where we have a functioning and dangerous attack and Antony is a key part of it. Far too limited and quite frankly just not that good.

Rustyspider13

I keep reading he is great at retaining possession but how does that tally with him taking 10 shit shots a game?
People say he is good at retaining the ball because his dribbling and close control helps us in our half after we've stopped an attack. He reliably bails us out of trouble by winning freekicks or by doing a full turn under pressure and passing it to a teammate, which allows us to reset. He is still wasteful in his shooting, no arguments there.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The goal was all him. Superb performance today.
Superb? He had 8 shots and didn't get a single one on target.

Nice clipped ball into the box for the goal tbf to him but if you think that was superb performance you would have bleeding fainted from excitement watching David Beckham play for us. Hahaha

wangyu

He is here now and he is working hard each game, he is very involved and he doesn’t shy away from the ball. You can pass him in every circumstance. This here is just typical internet criticism, keyboard warriors. Antony got a good round of applause after his substitution because people in the stadium saw he gave his all. It is very important to show passion when playing in our colors, he wants to get better so we should support him.

Chief123

So many shots. So so many shots.

When he dinked it into the box we scored. Hopefully Ten Hag points it out.
Despite so many shots he’s never once shot to the near post by lacing it. Far post every time.

His shooting makes me appreciate how incredible Greenwood’s striking ability was. With both feet too.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Irritating player to watch, but I still think he did okay. Not worth the money paid, but you see some occasional bits of real quality when he goes 1/2 touch. I think with more technical midfielders around him and a more compact shape he’ll improve. He’s not good when the game opens up, and with Bruno/McTominay is midfield games are generally a bit loose.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
If the Glazers do indeed sell then they’re going to make sure they milk every last penny out of whoever does buy the club. So it makes sense for them to drag this out in the hope someone betters the best bid that goes in today.
Summer Signings:
Arjen Robben
as 1-1 Tuition for Anthony
He can already cut inside and shoot with his left. He needs a Tony Valencia masterclass.
Step by step. @Tapori 's suggestion to get the cut -in and get the 1 in 20 shots on target ratio lower is first, then perhaps learn other facets of the game?

IFC 1905

He is here now and he is working hard each game, he is very involved and he doesn’t shy away from the ball. You can pass him in every circumstance. This here is just typical internet criticism, keyboard warriors. Antony got a good round of applause after his substitution because people in the stadium saw he gave his all. It is very important to show passion when playing in our colors, he wants to get better so we should support him.

It's interesting that I've seen you critizicing other players, sometimes being too harsh, yet here you're almost his agent.

Having paid the amount of money United paid for Antony, he's far, far away from fullfilling the requeriments to be a top class winger. To the level that he doesn't do the fundamentals in the position. He doesn't go one v one, he doesn't cross.

I think he won't make that much of a progress, he should be displaying a different game by now. He's not United level. At all. Then, if United fans lowered their standards and are ok with a winger that puts effort in defense and helps clearing the ball after defending but generates almost nothing in attack, that's another discussion.

He made a great pass today. But whoever was in charge to decide the fee paid for him, damaged the club.

lsd

The Oracle
People say he is good at retaining the ball because his dribbling and close control helps us in our half after we've stopped an attack. He reliably bails us out of trouble by winning freekicks or by doing a full turn under pressure and passing it to a teammate, which allows us to reset. He is still wasteful in his shooting, no arguments there.

People say he is great for the same reason they spent three years trying to fool us that Maguire wasn't a waste of money too constantly saying he was great never put a foot wrong the team is far better with him etc.

We are simply going down the same path now with Antony. Some fans will not admit Erik got it wrong and will keep on saying the same lies about the guy game after game after game.

He is great for how we play. He will be far better when we have world class players in every position. What he needs is a right back that can do what he is supposed to be doing and crossing the ball etc.

They will pick out other players in the team and try to blame them for every fault in Antony's game then finally when we do replace him with a proper player in his postion and the difference that makes is night and day they will pretend they never defended him in the first place

NZT-One

I don't rate him at all as an attacker but today he played well. Weird pass for Sabitzer as he I've never seen him doing that kind of attempt but somehow this worked today. Hopefully this gives him confidence to keep doing other stuff than shooting whenever he gets an opportunity.

In a game where he sees a lot of ball around the box he can contribute offensively, to a little extent but still better than usual. He is ok against this level of opponent.
Fully agree.

I noticed him being decent to good today, that is something to have in the bank.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
A leftie Valencia.

Even when not outstanding they will give you a fight and that’s a base requirement for any winger. When G/A is taken off the list generally their performances are inconsistent. So having a solid base will serve him well.

Good game from him

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is getting slowly better. Very slowly though.

I reckon he will improve his finishing in the next season or 2 and become a more consistent player for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The irrational hatred continues.

Of course he has lots to work - the aimless shooting as if he’s Messi / Ronaldo incarnate or the lack of acceleration which leaves him one pace. But there’s also a bit to appreciate in his ball retention, quick link Up play, sense of urgency and responsibility, willingness to battle and pressing/ defensive output.

Last edited:

Meep

Good game. But I have some critic. A bit lightweight in duels, somewhat doing the same thing again and again. Running down the line, stop, pass it backwards (or the occasional go inwards and curl it two meter left of goal). Needs to add his right foot to the game to go on the outside once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.