Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
First season so won’t be too hard. I do feel the team is more balanced when he’s in it than when he’s not.

id love to see him cross the ball in a match, even once, vary your play. I do realise thought that we don’t have a focal point to cross too

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I do. I think he's been mostly good, offers us good ball progression and excellent work-rate but needs to work on his decision making and shot choice. If he doesn't improve on that next season it will be cause for concern but I prefer to give players time to settle.
I generally agree. I think even with those limitations he has he can be OK winger for us. I do however think he will never reach high level which is why I questioned this deal from the start.

On one hand he has been good in some games, on the other I can't stop thinking if we would've been better off with Bruno on right wing/midfield. Mainly because I think Antony wastes a lot of good moves.

My problem with Antony is we didn't buy him for his potential. I certainly wouldn't expect him to improve massively next season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He was so effective against Forrest though but he's gone back into his shell while also ramping up the petulance in his game.

Crimson King

I generally agree. I think even with those limitations he has he can be OK winger for us. I do however think he will never reach high level which is why I questioned this deal from the start.

On one hand he has been good in some games, on the other I can't stop thinking if we would've been better off with Bruno on right wing/midfield. Mainly because I think Antony wastes a lot of good moves.

My problem with Antony is we didn't buy him for his potential. I certainly wouldn't expect him to improve massively next season.
I think we have brought him for his potential. I can see enough of it there to think he'll improve, especially with a better RB and an actual CF to link up with.

Putting all banter aside

I can’t think of a single redeemable quality he has either as a player or a personality. He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist, he’s not exciting to watch, he’s arrogant, he’s selfish, he’s petulant, he’s constantly getting into scraps & fights with the opposition.

There’s a Dutch poster on here (Feynoord fan I believe?) who absolutely detests him, and said as much before we signed him. I assumed it was purely because of the rivalry with Ajax, but no he was just bang on the money.
That must've been me. Never like it when I am right in hindsight, and I genuinely hoped that I would be wrong, but year, this failure was something everyone who follows the Eredivisie closely could see from miles coming. He wasn't even one of the best players in the Dutch league last year. I can rate Ajax players highly, I do so with de Jong, De Ligt even Ziyech, but I just don't see it with Antony what he brings to our play apart from a lot of frustration.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I do. I think he's been mostly good, offers us good ball progression and excellent work-rate but needs to work on his decision making and shot choice. If he doesn't improve on that next season it will be cause for concern but I prefer to give players time to settle.
It's not just about lack of goals and poor shooting, you are not worried he is not creating absolutely anything in final third for other players? He doesn't look amyhwere near like someone who moght create, even if he starts scoring goals. From a winger/midfielder that's unacceptable.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's not just about lack of goals and poor shooting, you are not worried he is not creating absolutely anything in final third for other players? He doesn't look amyhwere near like someone who moght create, even if he starts scoring goals. From a winger/midfielder that's unacceptable.
I think he’s starting to pick the cross/pass a bit more and has been guilty of being selfish. The ball to Dalot against Forest for example shows he is capable.

Matt851

He was so effective against Forrest though but he's gone back into his shell while also ramping up the petulance in his game.
Forest were abysmal

That was the one game where I was impressed by his performance. Other than that he has just had moments in games

Lentwood

I am not worried about Anthony. He's tough, he's skilful, he's a consistent threat.

The players I worry about are the soft touches. Sancho, Martial...even Rashford at times.

dove

I am not worried about Anthony. He's tough, he's skilful, he's a consistent threat.

The players I worry about are the soft touches. Sancho, Martial...even Rashford at times.
He really is not, he is a dream player for any fullback marking him.

Lentwood

He really is not, he is a dream player for any fullback marking him.
Disagree, football has moved on from fat fullbacks chasing flying wingers...takes a completely different skillset to unlock modern defences. I believe Anthony will be absolutely fine personally, especially once we put a proper CF in the side

dove

Disagree, football has moved on from fat fullbacks chasing flying wingers...takes a completely different skillset to unlock modern defences. I believe Anthony will be absolutely fine personally, especially once we put a proper CF in the side
I agree with that but Antony doesn't have that neither.

MadMike

I'd say he's a poor man's Solly March. Which is ironic since we're the rich team here. The difference in the threat offered by these two yesterday was glaringly obvious.

He's still young and will likely improve, March is 28 not 23. But we paid £85m and he's not playing like that and there's no guarantee he'll ever play that.

Lecland07

How can you sometimes be worried about a guy who has scored 127 goals and has 68 assists in 369 game for Manutd (29 goals & 11 assists this season) but not at all worried about one who had scored 8 with 2 assists in 41?

That makes no sense. One is proven and the other is a massive question mark.

Lentwood

How can you sometimes be worried about a guy who has scored 127 goals and has 68 assists in 369 game for Manutd (29 goals & 11 assists this season) but not at all worried about one who had scored 8 with 2 assists in 41?

That makes no sense. One is proven and the other is a massive question mark.
For the simple reason that courage, fight, personality and determination are non-negotiables in top sides. If you look at the best sides in football history, they're all 'mentality monsters', top professionals and horrible losers.

My concern with Rashford is when he's hot, he's great. When's he's not, he borders on useless. The Rashford I saw for the first 6-months of this season was more like it, the one that has started to creep back in lately...I'm not so sure. I'm not talking about goal return or assists, I'm talking about running hard, fighting for loose balls, chasing lost causes, winning headers...as opposed to rolling around on the floor, going down easily, looking dejected/sulking, losing all the 50:50s, not making runs etc...

I am certainly sure that we'll never win titles with the likes of Sancho and Martial in the side. As soon as the chips are down, they disappear. One thing I know about Anthony is he won't stop running, he won't stop demanding the ball, he won't stop trying things, he won't back down from a scrap. When we have 23 players in that mould, I guarantee we'll be a better side than this fair-weather, wishy-washy, 'Jekyll and Hyde' team that lurch from the sublime to the ridiculous on a week-to-week basis

HookedOnAPhelan

I have to laugh at the people suggesting that he could've/should've been sent off for that challenge. No way that's a red card. He was pissed, and rightly so, and I much prefer a courageous hothead to the timid cowardice of certain of our other players. Rooney was the same in his younger years.

HookedOnAPhelan

For the simple reason that courage, fight, personality and determination are non-negotiables in top sides. If you look at the best sides in football history, they're all 'mentality monsters', top professionals and horrible losers.

My concern with Rashford is when he's hot, he's great. When's he's not, he borders on useless. The Rashford I saw for the first 6-months of this season was more like it, the one that has started to creep back in lately...I'm not so sure. I'm not talking about goal return or assists, I'm talking about running hard, fighting for loose balls, chasing lost causes, winning headers...as opposed to rolling around on the floor, going down easily, looking dejected/sulking, losing all the 50:50s, not making runs etc...

I am certainly sure that we'll never win titles with the likes of Sancho and Martial in the side. As soon as the chips are down, they disappear. One thing I know about Anthony is he won't stop running, he won't stop demanding the ball, he won't stop trying things, he won't back down from a scrap. When we have 23 players in that mould, I guarantee we'll be a better side than this fair-weather, wishy-washy, 'Jekyll and Hyde' team that lurch from the sublime to the ridiculous on a week-to-week basis
This.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There have been flashes where you see what he can bring and he has started tracking and do good defensive work. He needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass - but then do most of our players, including Bruno and Rashford. I won't add Martial because he only seems to touch the ball about twice in each half

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Footballing wise, it seems like there's not much going on between his ears. But he's in good hands under EtH. Once it clicks, i bet we'll have one of the best RW around.

Man can hope.

Jev

Footballing wise, it seems like there's not much going on between his ears. But he's on good hands under EtH. Once it clicks, i bet we'll have one of the best RW around.
He's had three years under ETH. What are the qualities that makes you believe he can be that good?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's had three years under ETH. What are the qualities that makes you believe he can be that good?
He has the skill and work hard. He got some pace also to get into good position. His shooting has failed him most of the time, but there were some unstoppable ones.

Jev

He has the skill and work hard. He got some pace also. His shooting has failed him most of the time, but there were some unstoppable ones.
He's not particularly fast, he's not a good shooter (when you shoot as much as he does, one will inevitably go in every three months), his crosses have been unspeakably bad all season, he's extremely predictable, his decision-making is terrible, he's woefully selfish, he's shown no ability to take on his man and he only has one leg. Apart from that, he's decent.

HookedOnAPhelan

He's incredibly hard-working, never gives up, is a great ball carrier, press resistant, and gets into plenty of good positions despite not getting much support from his full back or a proper striker. I definitely see a player there. I don't think he'll be world class, but if he can improve his finishing and decision making and we get a striker and a good right back to support him I think he can be a very, very good player for us.

He's 23 in his first season in the Premier League. At 23 Salah had just signed for Roma after a loan spell at Fiorentina, while Mahrez had his first (somewhat underwhelming, 4 goals and 3 assists) season in the Premier League at Leicester. There are plenty of examples of players who only start to come into their own in their mid-20's.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's not particularly fast, he's not a good shooter (when you shoot as much as he does, one will inevitably go in every three months), his crosses have been unspeakably bad all season, he's extremely predictable, his decision-making is terrible, he's woefully selfish, he's shown no ability to take on his man and he only has one leg. Apart from that, he's decent.
Agreed. He's more like a 30m player right now, and probably need another year or two to fully develop.

Jev

Agreed. He's more like a 30m player right now, and probably need another year or two to fully develop.
But again, if you agree with that slightly (but really only slightly) exaggerated description, how can you feel confident that he can be one of the best in his position? I get wanting to give in time and all, but really struggling to see the reasons for that kind of optimism.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He has the skill and work hard. He got some pace also to get into good position. His shooting has failed him most of the time, but there were some unstoppable ones.
That skill though. What is his skill exactly? Have you noticed that his close ball control is not something special. When he runs with the ball you have a feeling that he is not in control of the ball. His passing is weak also.

He is useful player and i like having him here but imo, we need much better starter than him.

RK

But again, if you agree with that slightly (but really only slightly) exaggerated description, how can you feel confident that he can be one of the best in his position? I get wanting to give in time and all, but really struggling to see the reasons for that kind of optimism.
So you predict his time in the prem will be a failure (relatively)? Or are you just criticising his current level?

I don't mean to focus this on you specifically, but it's frustrating to see new players judged so harshly after less than a season. Then if/when they turn it around, the person justifies it by saying "I was right, they were shit at the time but they got better, my criticism was just being constructive..." when in reality they were just impatient and a bad judge of potential. Not saying this will happen one way or another, but given your criticism, I think you should state how confident you are that Antony won't succeed here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That skill though. What is his skill exactly? Have you noticed that his close ball control is not something special. When he runs with the ball you have a feeling that he is not in control of the ball. His passing is weak also.

He is useful player and i like having him here but imo, we need much better starter than him.
Agreed. He's probably about a year or two away for good enough as starter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Man can hope. I feel like there are some showings to feel optimistic. He's not like Wout, where I lost hope he'll be anything but low level striker.

Last edited:

Jev

So you predict his time in the prem will be a failure (relatively)? Or are you just criticising his current level?

I don't mean to focus this on you specifically, but it's frustrating to see new players judged so harshly after less than a season. Then if/when they turn it around, the person justifies it by saying "I was right, they were shit at the time but they got better, my criticism was just being constructive..." when in reality they were just impatient and a bad judge of potential. Not saying this will happen one way or another, but given your criticism, I think you should state how confident you are that Antony won't succeed here.
If I had to guess now, yeah, I think he'll end up as a failure for us. That's not my point, though. If we're talking about him becoming top-class, then surely that has to be based on something other than blind faith and his price tag. And I'm just curious as to what some of the more optimistic posters have seen to give him the conviction that he can get there.

Dempsey19

It's a clear red, man. He kicks a player purposefully with no intention of getting the ball as an act of revenge.
This. Can't see how others see different? It's not a bad challenge for the ball or dangerous. It's just that he intentionally done it in revenge for not getting a FK. He had zero interest in the ball.

The guy hasn't much going on between his ears.

JuriM

Antony, Casemiro, Martinez & Bruno are untouchable - absolute mental monsters who you don't have to worry about, they ain't afraid of the devil himself.

JB7

It's a clear red, man. He kicks a player purposefully with no intention of getting the ball as an act of revenge.
It wouldn't even be a red card in kids football. Some of you lot are fecking mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.