4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude I'm not seeing all the double and triple teams he's meant to be attracting?
Nor am I. It looks like he's wilting and becoming more ineffective, not less.

I have more doubts about him than positive thoughts he will succeed, but he'll get plenty of games to sink or swim.

CloneMC16

Awful player and has been since he arrived. I do appreciate his defensive efforts, but if our £86m right wing forward's best asset is his defending, something isn't right. When he chooses to pass, it's constantly hit at the wrong pace. He can't use his right foot. He destroys offensive transitions so often. I can't for the life of me understand why he was signed for the price he was.

People that think waiting for Hojlund to play will improve him are coping hard. This guy is not creative. His game (at least what he has shown at United) is to cut inside and shoot. We had strikers playing last season and he very rarely ever tried to create for them.

I do not understand what the people that rate him see. He pisses me off almost every time he gets the ball in the opposition half.

mu4c_20le

The easiest quick fix right now is to drop him for Mount, start Erikson, and hopefully Hojlunde is ready so Rashford can go back to the left.

Mount has just as good if not better work rate and far superior decision making.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve always been one for giving players from abroad two years minimum but fecking hell he’s started this year like a burnt turd.

Leonzo1

That was by far his worst performance for us. Absolutely dreadful from start to finish.

RedStarUnited

No he can't. Neither can any of our wingers. Largely because every opponent knows exactly what they are going to do and very few players in modern football can consistently get past a defender 1v1.

Antony will cut inside
Garnacho will cut inside
Rashford will kick and run
Sancho will go wide and turn back

Who else is there? They're all so easy to defend because they have no other outlet other than to take the player on.

We need overlapping fullbacks to provide width, we need a striker that makes crosses worthwhile, and we need players to make runs from deep. All those things provide variation and mean a defender can't just squat down and get ready for the 1v1.
Mate give up the guy is shite.A good winger doesnt need all of what you said to show his talents.

Antony is making shitty passes all the time. Or does he need better players for his passes to go to?

jesperjaap

Antony hasn't worked out, time to admit it. He could almost be called a flop. Signed him when we already had Sancho, should have used the money for a young world class midfielder.
Not writing him off yet personally though can see why others are.....but saying we shouldnt have signed him when we had a player that has been worse in his time here is a strange argument?

I still see a player in ANtony personally but he is so frustrating. His alck of pace especially runnign with the ball is tha major conceren. But he does have a lot of talent, it is the over flamboyance annoying me.

Too many flicks that dont succeed and tricks and his final ball has been really bad, he should have scored as well.

There are two positives for me though, one is he is one of the ebetter pressers in our side....though he doesnt track back. The other is that a lot of our chances and penetration does seem to come through him.

But he needs to massively improve on the simple consistencies and being clinical....and though he has come from abroad into a new league last season, we are talking about a player we spent a lot of money on......that shouldnt be the case and isnt with his age and tiem now a valid excuse for him....but everybody is singling him out....the whole attackign unit has been pretty dreadful these first two games

El Jefe

I'd just like to take a moment to apologise to @El Jefe, you were right.
It actually sucks to be correct on him because it's the club that suffers, especially as he starts every game.

EtH really has to consider Amad and Pellestri more. They might not be the answer but Antony certainly isn't.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Ive lost faith in Anthony, would rather see Sancho start on the right or Amad get a good look, Amad had a great season on loan I think he would eat up the chance.

Chief123

I’ve always wanted to give him a chance like with all of our players. Every player deserves time to prove themselves. Personally, I do think there has been promising times last season where he looked like he could develop into a top player. Performances like Forest away gave hope where he was our best player.

However, my biggest concern right now is I don’t see any development from the moment he made his debut. I can’t see any progress. His decision making is still inconsistent. His shooting is still erratic. His dribbling doesn’t exist. His strengths and weaknesses all appear to be at the same level as his arrival without improvements on them areas. That’s my biggest concern.

Chief123

He needs to be benched. Start Sancho on the right.
Ive lost faith in Anthony, would rather see Sancho start on the right or Amad get a good look, Amad had a great season on loan I think he would eat up the chance.
I know Antony has been poor but Sancho isn’t the solution either for me. Literally every single time he comes on as sub he makes zero impact as a sub. When he starts games he is absent for the majority of it and then we start looking to the bench after an hour to see who we can replace him with. This is the biggest factor behind why Antony is getting so much opportunity. The competition for him isn’t great.

At this point I would be exploring Amad or Pellistri and giving them a fair run of games to see if they take their opportunity.

UnitedRepublic

Even at 40m hes a bang average player
Did pretty well ? Did you not see him lose the ball twice within the same sequence of play come on man. He might have done well compared to Rashford but he was still bad.

santeria13

Sublemon
I genuinely think we would struggle to sell him for more than 25m based on the past year or so

santeria13

Sublemon
Antony hasn't worked out, time to admit it. He could almost be called a flop. Signed him when we already had Sancho, should have used the money for a young world class midfielder.
Him and Sancho are both unquestionably flops. Chances are, if they are consistently poor when given that many starts over a season, they're never gonna magically improve to a whole new level. We really need to start cutting our losses early and call a spade a spade.

Seriously though, when has a player at that age for a top 4 side ever looked as bad as they have for a year or more to then become world class all of a sudden? Jamie Vardy is perhaps the only anomaly of this kind I can think of. The club and many of our fans seem to hang on to some kind of hope they'll come good and that's simply naive at this point IMO

ole@thewheel

He is basically antithesis of a winger that is suited to the transition football, ETH aspires to be good at.

Not a good sign that your most expensive signing is not suited to your model of play.

Jericho

He needs to stop trying to dribble. It's not working right now, just pass and move.

AshRK

I want him to be a success but my god he is such a limited footballer. How the feck is he a Brazilian.

justboy68

There's no way we can survive with such an unproductive player in one of our three attacking positions. How could ETH ever think he was good enough after having managed him? Shocking business.

TsuWave

Too one footed, not explosive, can’t beat a man, can’t pass, poor decision-making - all around mess

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm beginning to lose patience with him but what's the alternative on the right wing? Sancho? Pellistri? He Who Must Not Be Named? None of them seem preferable. Unless Saudi chuck a load of money at him then I think we're stuck with him.
Sancho isn't the solution. We lost any defensive cover on his side, while his attacking output isn't enough to compensate for that.

Pellistri isn't that good either.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was decent in the first half but bloody hell that was a farcical second half. Looked like a 17 year old who belonged in the lower divisions. Needs to be dropped on that basis.

CannibalSpectre

It's hard to see Antony developing into the player we need him to be. The writing has been on the wall for a while, for me at least. He's young but he's no kid, and the issues that plague him are seldom improved at this juncture of a players career. At this point you either have it or you don't, and sadly Antony falls into the category of the latter

amolbhatia50k

I don’t dislike Antony at all but I find it strange how commentators so often say “his talent is obvious, the question is whether he can make the right decisions / show it consistently”. He doesn’t seem like a particularly talented player to me. They often say that about tricky players but it’s not like his “tricks” are particularly technical. He’s pretty good at pressing, he’s fairly selfless in possession play, he’s got a pretty good first touch, he protects the ball quite well. I don’t see any hidden talent that we’re just waiting to burst into the scene when everything clicks.
Yeah with Garacho for example he clearly has the ability to rinse defenders but his decision making has a long long way to go, for him to be an effective and reliable starter. Antony has some good qualities - like the ones you mention - and I’ve defended him a decent bit here but I’m not sure how he can ever be a high quality winger if he hasn’t got quality in his dribbling or passing. Only so long a winger and live off his pressing / defending at a big club.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah that cutting inside is getting so tiring
Cutting in would be fine if he had a real pass / cross on him. Everyone knows he’s only going to look for curler or pass it sideways.

Sancho’s passing is light years ahead of any of our wide players. They should all be out in a training regiment just for that.

croadyman

Cutting in would be fine if he had a real pass / cross on him. Everyone knows he’s only going to look for curler or pass it sideways.

Sancho’s passing is light years ahead of any of our wide players. They should all be out in a training regiment just for that.
Yeah too limited to trouble this league. Maybe it's just me but surely we could have found someone more productive and significantly cheaper

amolbhatia50k

He reminds me of Memphis. A player who made his name in a weaker league (albeit Memphis really tore that league up), but when they came to England, they just couldn’t handle that higher level in its lack of space, additional physicality, more level playing field etc Memphis used to pull out all the tricks against shit teams (remember him destroying the fullback in the EL once) but in the PL in the first few yards defenders knew they had him. Antony is similar, defenders know they’ve got him sussed and he knows it too.

Id take a call between him and Sancho soon and get rid of one, as we can’t expect two hugely expensive okay players. I fancy Sancho IF he can improve off the ball as he’s much better on it. We need to be more ruthless instead of hanging on to our mistakes.

Footyislife

One footed. No pace. Doesn't play simple easy passes.

We paid £86M for a short, left footed Jessi Lingard. Don't protest the glazers protest that we haven't hired a competent DOF in a decade.

croadyman

He reminds me of Memphis. A player who made his name in a weaker league (albeit Memphis really tore that league up), but when they came to England, they just couldn’t handle that higher level in its lack of space, additional physicality, more level playing field etc Memphis used to pull out all the tricks against shit teams (remember him destroying the fullback in the EL once) but in the PL in the first few yards defenders knew they had him. Antony is similar, defenders know they’ve got him sussed and he knows it too.

Id take a call between him and Sancho soon and get rid of one, as we can’t expect two hugely expensive okay players. I fancy Sancho IF he can improve off the ball as he’s much better on it. We need to be more ruthless instead of hanging on to our mistakes.
Yeah Sancho would get the nod for me too,unfortunately though it feels like Antony is in Erik's faves club and can do no wrong

amolbhatia50k

Yeah Sancho would get the nod for me too,unfortunately though it feels like Antony is in Erik's faves club and can do no wrong
Only a matter of time before he gets dropped I guess. No manager will put that above his job security. Or he’ll probably bang in a curler every 5 games to keep his place :lol:

croadyman

Only a matter of time before he gets dropped I guess. No manager will put that above his job security. Or he’ll probably bang in a curler every 5 games to keep his place :lol:
He could do that but still should get dropped

Kramer

I’ve always been one for giving players from abroad two years minimum but fecking hell he’s started this year like a burnt turd.
It’s been really really bad. Expected him to kick on this year. And it’s not that he’s not up to pace with the league, the concern is he’s not doing the simple things right.

Poor at crossing the ball and poor at weight of pass.

Really hoping it’s start of the season rustiness. ETH needs to give him an absolute bollocking. That performance is one of the worst I’ve seen from him (and there’s a few to choose from).

Levi1

We should sell him. Due to the uncertainty of being only 1 year in, other clubs might pay 50% of what we paid. We could use that money for another midfielder. Unfortunately, we all know the club will squeeze every last performance to be absolutely sure that he doesnt fit, by which time every other club will long ago know not to buy him