Arsenal 2017/2018

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cech must be on course to break a record.

16 consecutive penalties he's now faced and not saved any of them.

He wasn't much better at them for Chelsea.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Gotta say, the Gunners are great to watch in these big games, always turn them into end-to-end affairs no matter what. Been involved in some cracking games so far this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arsenal were brilliant tonight and against Liverpool a few weeks ago, their fecking defence just ruins everything

Baxter

Would be pretty good with any sort of defence. Even Mustafi isn’t good enough.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Think with Kos and Monreal we would won today.

Djemba-Djemba

Has there ever been a supposed top side like Arsenal who were going to lose 3 first teamers on a free in the Summer?

It's mental how badly things have been managed there.

redflair

The game against Chelsea proved that United's result at the Emirates was an excellent backs-to-the-wall performance - and those claiming we were lucky were rather silly in their criticism.

Every big team Arsenal have faced at home this season - Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and United - have had numerous harum-scarum moments and have had to face a slick, penetrative Arsenal side who cause untold problems for the visiting defence.

Yes, we know how the Gunners are at the back - but they have shown a lot of quality going forward, particularly at home, and our result should be seen in that context.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
The game against Chelsea proved that United's result at the Emirates was an excellent backs-to-the-wall performance - and those claiming we were lucky were rather silly in their criticism.

Every big team Arsenal have faced at home this season - Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and United - have had numerous harum-scarum moments and have had to face a slick, penetrative Arsenal side who cause untold problems for the visiting defence.

Yes, we know how the Gunners are at the back - but they have shown a lot of quality going forward, particularly at home, and our result should be seen in that context.
well a lot went in your favour that day tbh. De Gea activating God mode. Lacazette denied a clear penalty and our 2 most experienced CBs gifting possession with minimal challenge right in front of our defence.

Robbie Boy

Yeah I have to say, Holding and Chambers are as far away from being level defenders as there is.

redflair

well a lot went in your favour that day tbh. De Gea activating God mode. Lacazette denied a clear penalty and our 2 most experienced CBs gifting possession with minimal challenge right in front of our defence.
Maybe, but I'm highlighting Arsenal's attacking strength and dynamism. Sometimes, it's only a win that matters - and this was one of those games irrespective of how 'lucky' we were.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
More points dropped against dross opposition. The state in which Wenger will leave this squad in is shocking.
Aye, especially with Ozil and Sanchez leaving. To replace that quality in today’s market isn’t really money I see Arsenal investing. Especially as they’re both leaving on a free most probably.

Djemba-Djemba

Aye, especially with Ozil and Sanchez leaving. To replace that quality in today’s market isn’t really money I see Arsenal investing. Especially as they’re both leaving on a free most probably.
Decent chance Wilshire will be leaving too.

They are going to be a mess.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Voicing the truth is not allowed for the FA. That's why nothing will change with the refs in future.

el3mel

He's only going to miss one EPL game after all, as the 2 next games for them are in FA and EFL cups.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
De Gea is paid to do that, it is not a miracle, just a player doing hid job well. Same principle for your CBs being shit as they have been for most games anyway. Lacazette didn't appeal for the pen but it should have been awarded, that at least I can understand being truly frustrating.

Rafateria

Voicing the truth is not allowed for the FA. That's why nothing will change with the refs in future.
It's only Wenger's Truth. He never sees anything which is contrary to Arsenal's interests, whereas it's the same for all teams. Fact is the rule for penalties is unclear at best and the game nowadays far too fast, and full of conning cheats, for the officials.

I've a lot of sympathy for referees / linesmen compared to the overpaid prima donnas they chaperone. In days gone by they didn't come under such scrutiny because we didn't have multiple camera angles and super slow replays (which don't always tell the whole truth - often an incident can only be really assessed in real time).

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Is it for the chelsea match? It was a penalty.
No, for the West Brom one. Ball to hand incident. The closest West Brom player wasn't even appealing for a penalty. Mike Dean screwed us over. I'm happy that Wenger expressed his displeasure, a lot of us fans wanted to do the same thing.

Needham

Prophets are never recognized in their time. When Wenger is gone they'll base a religion around him.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
De Gea is paid to do that, it is not a miracle, just a player doing hid job well. Same principle for your CBs being shit as they have been for most games anyway. Lacazette didn't appeal for the pen but it should have been awarded, that at least I can understand being truly frustrating.
Yes everyone is paid to their jobs, but that was one of his best performances as far as I know, repelling most attacks single handedly. Why does everyone try to downplay it like it was nothing in this forum? :lol:

This forum itself has many who complain when the opposition goalie has a great game against yous and that's why you ended drawing/losing a game. How come none says it's the job their paid to do and instead bemoan their 'heroics'? :rolleyes:

kouroux

Yes everyone is paid to their jobs, but that was one of his best performances as far as I know, repelling most attacks single handedly. Why does everyone try to downplay it like it was nothing in this forum? :lol:

This forum itself has many who complain when the opposition goalie has a great game against yous and that's why you ended drawing/losing a game. How come none says it's the job their paid to do and instead bemoan their 'heroics'? :rolleyes:
We can do both. It doesn't have to be one of the other. Besides he is an integral part of the team and has been for many years.
Maybe this is a concept you aren't familiar with anymore, to have a player play consistently well like that.
DDG is part of Man Utd, we are no more lucky to have him than he has us.

Rafateria

We can do both. It doesn't have to be one of the other. Besides he is an integral part of the team and has been for many years.
Maybe this is a concept you aren't familiar with anymore, to have a player play consistently well like that.
DDG is part of Man Utd, we are no more lucky to have him than he has us.
I would dispute that .. he wasn't the best GK in the world when you bought him but clearly has developed into that ;)

Rafateria

The club played a huge part in that, invested a lot of time and money in him.
I'm sure a lot of clubs do that with a lot of players .. they don't all turn out to be the world's best in their position though. There's is also luck involved.

kouroux

I'm sure a lot of clubs do that with a lot of players .. they don't all turn out to be the world's best in their position though. There's is also luck involved.
All I'm saying is the idea that DDG having a cracking game being seen as some fortunate event is completely false. Like we were lucky he was on top form, that is completely wrong.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think they'll need to win the EL in order to secure CL football. Can't see Liverpool giving up that 4th spot.

prath92

Not really luck. Yes there are other factors involved but we have also had two excellent GK coaches in Eric Steele and Frans Hoek who clearly did wonders

SER19

If I were wenger I'd take the supposed 60m in January for Sanchez and ozil and buy mahrez and mkhitaryan.

I think wenger would do a good job with both and breathe life into an Arsenal team carried along by players that don't want to be there, and the money made can be added to whatever budget they have for January and summer rather than letting them go on a free.