Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulRich

Youngs a great squad option IMHO - we're never going to gasp in awe at his brilliance but when hes asked to perform a specific job he does it effectively if not spectacularly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Considering he hasn't played a game for quite a while he looked sharp and into the tempo of the game quickly. Top professional performance. Yes he could have offered more going forward but was clearly instructed to protect Blind - that he did very well.

Golden Nugget

He did brilliant defensively - gave Mane and Clyde nothing and from memory, he made some key interceptions too.

Attacking wise not very effective - but not a single player was. The only attacking moment I remember was him controlling De Gea's kick brilliantly, then putting a nice cross in from the right.

I would have liked Rashford on the left (where he looks more comfortable) and Young on the right, but I guess Jose wanted to nullify Mane more, and Youngs the better defender. (Or he felt Rashford could get the better of Milner, who knows.)

DanClancy

Did his job although didn't add much going forward, looks like he's lost some of his pace.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone got a gif of that touch he had in the first half where he brought down a long ball in 'Pool's half? That was first-rate... made me rub my eyes to make sure it was actually Ashley Young.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think he is a good player to have

A reliable squad player who can play a few different positions and do pretty well in each of them....but nobody appreciates this type anymore

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

A reliable squad player who can play a few different positions and do pretty well in each of them....but nobody appreciates this type anymore
Year after year people want him gone, say he is deadwood, point at his wages... If all XI players showed the discipline, effort and commitment he displays we wouldn't be in the shit we are in. It would also help if they looked as delighted to be at United as him and Valencia (another usual punching bag).

Sylar

Minimal amount of comments based on his performance today.

You can see why managers would pick him, hardly lets you down. And wants to be here. Not a fashionable player but will give his all.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's our James Milner. Always does a job. Felt he was really good defensively today, especially when Montero came on. He will also give us that forward running that Valencia gives us.

Kag

Isn't this because he's a winger that cost us £18 million in the last year of his contract? A winger that has generally been useless for in an attacking sense.

I'd be interested to see the reaction if it were decided that Memphis was to be £25 million auxiliary full back, chipping in with appearances here and there and running around his bestest. For some reason I doubt it'd fly.

quethenoo

Fair fecks to ashley, he never really lets you down. He isn't often scintillating but rarely fecks up. Would prefer him to darmian at RB tbh.On a side note, not sure if I'm imagining it, but does darmian seem to play better at LB?

acnumber9

Isn't this because he's a winger that cost us £18 million in the last year of his contract? A winger that has generally been useless for in an attacking sense.

I'd be interested to see the reaction if it were decided that Memphis was to be £25 million auxiliary full back, chipping in with appearances here and there and running around his bestest. For some reason I doubt it'd fly.
You'll never be able to find out the reaction then.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

If eventually that what he turned into, I would get over it

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Exemplary attitude, similar to Valencia. Not going to win you many games these days but always ready to go out there and give his best for the team. He's a champion. I'll always stay loyal to players like that, as they have been, to the team and to the fans.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair fecks to ashley, he never really lets you down. He isn't often scintillating but rarely fecks up. Would prefer him to darmian at RB tbh.On a side note, not sure if I'm imagining it, but does darmian seem to play better at LB?
Yes he does. Seems to position himself defensively and offensively much better. He actually times his overlaps well too on the left, very odd. Thought barrow would give him trouble but darmian had him in his pocket today.

quethenoo

A bit harsh, credit where it is due.

quethenoo

Yes he does. Seems to position himself defensively and offensively much better. He actually times his overlaps well too on the left, very odd. Thought barrow would give him trouble but darmian had him in his pocket today.
Agreed, glad I'm not the only person who has thought that. Always the caveat the Swansea were utter gash though.

jem

And to continue in the vein of commitment, professionalism and generally just being up for it (a hot topic on these boards,) Young is an example for the likes of Depay, Shaw and Martial to follow.

acnumber9

Besides the point. It'd be a total waste of money either way.
Your point was pointless then. The last time he actually got a run of games on the wing he was one of our best players in a run that got us into the Champions League. That we've found use for him in other areas is to his credit. You don't seem to understand that's better than spending more money on a terrible player that offers nothing.

Kag

Your point was pointless then. The last time he actually got a run of games on the wing he was one of our best players in a run that got us into the Champions League. That we've found use for him in other areas is to his credit. You don't seem to understand that's better than spending more money on a terrible player that offers nothing.
Do you think it's acceptable that an £18 million winger plays every ten games or so as an auxiliary full back and gets praised for it?

The reason he no longer plays on the wing is because he's a shite.

acnumber9

Do you think it's acceptable that an £18 million winger plays every ten games or so as an auxiliary full back and gets praised for it?

The reason he no longer plays on the wing is because he's a shite.
If he plays well he should get praised for the performance. We've wasted more on worse who can't contribute anywhere.

Zorya 0:2 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is he the least effective and most predictable player ever? I even like the guy, but I can't remember a game when he was our best player, or even close to best player, he is mostly "meh" with couple of poor and decent performances. I'll never quite understand why we use him in various positions over younger and maybe more talented players.

m1y2

Is he the least effective and most predictable player ever? I even like the guy, but I can't remember a game when he was our best player, or even close to best player, he is mostly "meh" with couple of poor and decent performances. I'll never quite understand why we use him in various positions over younger and maybe more talented players.
he ahd a good spell under van Gaal when a lot of players underperformed including that cnut dimaria, that doesn't say much but what can he do today?? he's playing rightback, doyou want him to go past players?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
he ahd a good spell under van Gaal when a lot of players underperformed including that cnut dimaria, that doesn't say much but what can he do today?? he's playing rightback, doyou want him to go past players?
I am talking in general, I am not blaming him because he can't play as a right back, that's not his fault, I just don't get why we play him there.

m1y2

I am talking in general, I am not blaming him because he can't play as a right back, that's not his fault, I just don't get why we play him there.
perhaps he has that consitency about him from an experienced player, you what to expect from him, always works hard, you wwanna have a player liek that in your team especially team young like this but he surely will be one of the first leaving players

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I think he is just better on the Left compared to the right.

On the left he becomes more 2 footed and unpredictable.

Kag

Young has been here for what must be five full years, and still some people raise a string of six games to justify the waste of time elsewhere.

m1y2

Young has been here for what must be five full years, and still some people raise a string of six games to justify the waste of time elsewhere.
or give him stick for no reason, well in his first year he was pretty good and since that he never was a starter for us, so a player who never starts should build some confidence first of all? second of all he never really moaned about the lack of time and the rest about him I have said in my previous comment..

I don't want him here from the next summer but can see why managers keeps him as he's not really that bad as a squad player

pseudo_canadian

Thought he was the worst player on the pitch for us today.

Lots of really poor passes and got caught out of position a few times.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ultra conservative today and still misplaced several passes. All he offers Fosu-Mensah doesn't is experience. Valencia is a level above.

Kag

or give him stick for no reason, well in his first year he was pretty good and since that he never was a starter for us, so a player who never starts should build some confidence first of all? second of all he never really moaned about the lack of time and the rest about him I have said in my previous comment..

I don't want him here from the next summer but can see why managers keeps him as he's not really that bad as a squad player
After an initial bright first six games for us, Young never started games because he wasn't good enough. When he did play, he'd often run around doing sod all, launching crosses over the back post and out for a goal kick.

Never has mediocrity been accepted by so many people for a player that cost us the best part of £20 million. Nani, who cost less and achieved a hell of a lot more, was torn to shreds for not being consistently fantastic. With Young, it's just kinda' accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.