Film Avatar: The Way of Water

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not as much as the 13 years previous, but there is still quite a difference.

I still think everything looks too "clean" and perfect though.
Yeah , maybe that's why.
We probably won't see that big of a leap in cgi like the ones we did in the late 90s and 2000s so I should temper my expectations .

Anyway the quality of the movie won't be bound on the cgi advancements of it rather to its story and quality of direction and while I enjoyed the first one frankly I don't think it was really suitable for making a franchise out of it.

Wish he had instead gone back to making gritty thriller like action movies like the first terminator.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We all know that visually this sequel could potentially elevate the future of computerized animation in film and enhance the film going experience but the narrative needs to be far more diverse.
The first was annoyingly linear.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hopefully everyone remembers how much of a sham the first one was.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Old long movies had intervals i think but there really shouldn't be any need for them coming back, just cut and slice your movie in two separate parts if it's that long.

Zen

He's talking as if this is going to be seriously long - like the 3 top grossing films ever are over 3 hours... so this kind of implies he's genuinely going to push it past Return of the King in terms of being ridiculously long, which itself was wildly complained about, not necassarily for it's length per say - just that it had about 4 endings.

feck a 4 hour cinema trip. Is there any proof that longer is really better for bringing the viewers in? It puts me off - especially stuff like this that I'm only half interested in so absolutely no rush to watch it. I mean I would of queued up in an instant for Godfather 1, 2 and hell obviously 3 even after the mediocre reviews...

Jimmy doing Jimmy things.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's not going to spend 20 years and hundreds of millions of dollars just for 90 minutes of output? It will probably be like Justice League Snyder Cut long, which I was perfectly fine with and appropriately satisfied.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's talking as if this is going to be seriously long - like the 3 top grossing films ever are over 3 hours... so this kind of implies he's genuinely going to push it past Return of the King in terms of being ridiculously long, which itself was wildly complained about, not necassarily for it's length per say - just that it had about 4 endings.

feck a 4 hour cinema trip. Is there any proof that longer is really better for bringing the viewers in? It puts me off - especially stuff like this that I'm only half interested in so absolutely no rush to watch it. I mean I would of queued up in an instant for Godfather 1, 2 and hell obviously 3 even after the mediocre reviews...

Jimmy doing Jimmy things.
Depends on the movie I guess, I really enjoyed my viewing of 1900 but can see getting quite bored with some other ones.

Nonetheless I think Cameron is becoming to pretentious for his own sake at the moment.

Zen

Yeah there's absolutely no way I'm sitting for 1900 either... Berto making a 300 minute film for the sake of making a 300 minute film. Just, epically dull.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That’s such bollox. If you’re making movies so long you expect punters will need to take a piss before the end then they should have an interval. That’s not even a novel concept.
Intervals should be a standard thing for any film thats over 2 hours 30 minutes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is going to have a virtual reality type glasses to watch the film - so taking breaks and stopping to go take a piss hurts no one.

Zen

I remember the buzz around the first one before it came out. Not feeling any buzz about this one.
To be fair the hype wasn't that big, it's opening weekend was only the 5th best of 2009 for instance, with higher prices tickets helping that. Like Titanic before it, there was a lot of bomb talk around it and it just stuck around.... forever... and ever.

Cameron loves to defy the naysayers and he's done it twice. But by casually releasing what he's teasing to be an at least 4 hour movie sequel to a not overly loved film, I don't see what he can do from a tech perspective to grab the numbers like Avatar did. He's very much safeguarded himself by making 2 of them, which will save him from any kind of genuine bomb chances, but there's a good chance, combined, they won't even make what Avatar made on it's own.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There you go....you might get your wish after all. He may have plans for more conventional stuff in the future.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As someone who found the original movie incredibly boring, the thought of sitting through another one that lasts more than about 90 mins is not appealing.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm just in it for the amazing 3-D. When is it out in the UK?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Aw, I can hear the sound of all those people losing their shit and crying in their beers.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is this out!!! :eek: :eek:

Fecking have to get my Waterloo IMAX tickets booked!! It's where I saw the first movie and the effects literally blew my mind. Story was ok but that didn't matter.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Never got round to seeing it in 3D so all booked for Wednesday.

RORY65

Is this out!!! :eek: :eek:

Fecking have to get my Waterloo IMAX tickets booked!! It's where I saw the first movie and the effects literally blew my mind. Story was ok but that didn't matter.
Its not out until December, they've re-released the original in 4K in advance. I went to see it again over the weekend. I hadn't seen it since it came out and remember not thinking much of it back then and the feeling hadn't really changed, it's pretty boring but is obviously a technical achievement (even if 3D never took on generally thankfully).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

God king Cameron strikes again!
That's mad. I'm so shocked there's any appetite to see it. Thought it was fairly well accepted it was an average film buoyed by the 3D visuals at the time. I don't know a single person who said they'd love to go see it again. Cameron just had a fecking weird effect on movie goers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's mad. I'm so shocked there's any appetite to see it. Thought it was fairly well accepted it was an average film buoyed by the 3D visuals at the time. I don't know a single person who said they'd love to go see it again. Cameron just had a fecking weird effect on movie goers.
I know a good few people who went multiple times to watch it in the halls. The spectacle of the film in 3D was an absolutely huge deal at the time.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know a good few people who went multiple times to watch it in the halls. The spectacle of the film in 3D was an absolutely huge deal at the time.
Yeah I know that, but I meant now, for the re-release, it's crazy that so many people are still flocking to go see it.

Sweet Square

That's mad. I'm so shocked there's any appetite to see it. Thought it was fairly well accepted it was an average film buoyed by the 3D visuals at the time. Cameron
I’m thinking of seeing the week just because I’ve never seen it before but also it does look fairly shite tbh

Cameron just had a fecking weird effect on movie goers.
With films like T2 or Titanic, I think it’s down to them working as great action/drama films but with Avatar it does give off a type live, laugh and love brain vibes.

Parma Dewol

Sequel will need to be absolutely huge if Cineworld is to stand a chance. Kinda hoping it pulls through - I don’t go to the cinema much these days so I’m part of the problem - but used to go plenty pre-Covid and would hate to see the local cinemas close for good.

Enjoyed the first movie but got the feeling the sequel will be much more involving now the stage has been set. Wouldn’t want to bet against Cameron that’s for sure.