Film Avatar: The Way of Water

Sweet Square

Dude disappeared to the bottom of the ocean for over a decade and comes back with the biggest film of all time(Thats a sequel to an original IP).

God King Cameron wins again.

stevoc

Are there any people actually excited about this? I thought the first movie was incredibly dull and boring, didn't enjoy it at all although it was visually stunning at the time. This sequel feels about 10 years too late.
There are people who get excited about the 5th episode of Coronation Street this week. So it's a fair bet that some people will be excited for a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Are there any people actually excited about this? I thought the first movie was incredibly dull and boring, didn't enjoy it at all although it was visually stunning at the time. This sequel feels about 10 years too late.
It is. I’ve always felt that Avatar was a demo to showcase 3D technology in movies, and the actual movie itself was terrible.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I find it amusing that all the American reviewers have creamed themselves over it, and virtually all the British ones have said it was shit.

Never been prouder. Almost makes up for the football.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It is. I’ve always felt that Avatar was a demo to showcase 3D technology in movies, and the actual movie itself was terrible.
Yep, it's visually great, storyline is paint by numbers.

Anyone going into this one expecting anything different is just stupid and only have themselves to blame when they don't like it because "the story sucks".

I'll catch it when it comes to some streaming service.

Sweet Square

Tbh I can’t trust any English person view of Cameron work post Titanic.

Now the twitter user I follow who posts
random Japanese films from the 2000’s says it was amazing and cried.

Oldyella

Yeah. Watched the 1st in a packed cinema and was seriously impressed. But a second watch just confirmed nothing held up and it was the visuals that I enjoyed. Will probably watch this for the same reason. It will be pretty if nothing else.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tbh I can’t trust any English person view of Cameron work post Titanic.

Now the twitter user I follow who posts
random Japanese films from the 2000’s says it was amazing and cried.
:lol:

Don’t forget Guillermo Del Toro also seems to love it. That’s what might still convince me to go to watch it in the cinema.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Don’t forget Guillermo Del Toro also seems to love it. That’s what might still convince me to go to watch it in the cinema.
Aren't they friends though?

"Yeah, I watched my mate's movie and it was shite" would be quite refreshing to hear for once.

I'll see it when it comes on Sky or something but forget spending over three hours watching pretty colours. In an era where something as ground breaking as ray tracing gets released to a fanfare of "I don't see the difference" I've not seen anything of this movie so far that makes me think it'll have the same visual impact that the first did. Fair fecks to those who are seeing what I can't

Sweet Square

It’s good enough for the guy who made Blade 2, then it’s good enough for me.

Tbh I’m not sure why but I tend to value directors views more than that of critics.
If giving someone a million dollars to put in fake Mexican bank account so they can get back their kidnapped father, counts as an act of friendship. Then yeah they are friends.

You can be so cynical sometimes!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Stuckmann said its very good. That means more than the Guardian to me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

"Yeah, I watched my mate's movie and it was shite" would be quite refreshing to hear for once.
When Del Toro's father was kidnapped in 1997 Cameron stepped in, "took charge of the situation" according to Del Toro, hired a professional negotiator, paid for him and offered to pay the ransom itself.

So definitely safe to say Del Toro will be somewhat biased in his favour.

Bobade

It's basically guaranteed to be shit. I watched the first one the other day with my family (that I marvelled at at the time) and was mildly surprised at how poor it was. I obviously knew at the time how weak the story was, but man is it weak. And the film is at least 20 percent longer than it should be for the depth of the plot and dialogue. The visuals looked more dated than I had imagined they would as well. The film rode on the back of those FX and won't be able to do so this time surely.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd guess it will be visually great with a big action end in native 3D. One watch never to be revisited much like the first one.

evil_geko

Good to see it's getting great reviews and scores all over, looking forward to seeing it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s so sad how much time Cameron has spent on Avatar and he’s not even done yet. He was never a brilliantly deep storyteller but one of these was more than enough to say what he wanted to. The characters are a whole load of nothing.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
First 30 minutes are good, last 30 minutes are decent but the first one was way better. There’s about an hour in the middle of kids swimming with alien fish and it’s probably the most boring hour of cinema I’ve ever had to sit through.

The visuals are spectacular. So worth seeing in 3D. My 7 year old gave it 10/10, which says it all really. So much focus on their children and just didn’t care about them at all. It’ll make loads of money but not a movie I can sit through again.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's basically guaranteed to be shit. I watched the first one the other day with my family (that I marvelled at at the time) and was mildly surprised at how poor it was. I obviously knew at the time how weak the story was, but man is it weak. And the film is at least 20 percent longer than it should be for the depth of the plot and dialogue. The visuals looked more dated than I had imagined they would as well. The film rode on the back of those FX and won't be able to do so this time surely.
The first one is miles better, and this one is about 60 minutes longer than it needs to be. The whole middle section drags so so much.

Andy_Cole

Heard the ending is the main hero’s fighting to death at the end and he doesn’t go through with it because he finds out both their mums are called Martha

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Outside of the stunning visuals and Cameron's creative eye for breaking certain industry barriers for his world building talent, the lead characters are void of any charisma and personality.

Imagine building your entire Science fiction franchise around the charisma vacuum that is Sam Worthington.

AaronRedDevil

Saw it last night. Way better than expected. Visuals were amazing and the acting was solid. 9/10 for me. Really enjoyed it. If you like the world, they do an hour of exploring and learning more about the way of life and the creatures. Its really cool to see. James is trying to build a world here and expand on it more. Since its going to be about 5 or 6 movies. I'm really looking forward to what's next

Last edited: