Film Avatar: The Way of Water

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've never even watched the original.
Visually its genuinely impressive but the narrative and the lack of strong performances and constant corny dialogue will make your eyes roll.

Also, it has the worst ever moment of exposition in film history in it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I used to listen to him but ever since he went into making his feature film, he only says everything is good. His reviews are pointless now.
I don't think they're pointless but yeah he does slant a bit too pro creator now. Then again Jeremy Jahns also really liked it so both the reviewers I follow

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I can think of a couple.

"Unobtanium is in the big tree, look at this schematic of the big tree even though we haven't seen the big tree before. But this thing I hold in my hand is the thing in that big tree, fecking look at it you cretinous turd."

"If you dock your willy with the flying horse's willy you're besties 4 life."

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its the moment that guys holds the piece of rock to the fecking audience and explains why they're there.
God awful execution.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I remember people taking a dump on Tron Legacy for having a poor story (but that actually has a thumping soundtrack and just as great visuals for me than Avatar as well as being an hour shorter) but people seem to lap this Avatar crap up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
AI stories are getting very realistic.

Jake Sulley has lived with the Navi on Blue Moon ever since he stopped the evil humans from trying to steal a tree or something. Now he and his wife dock their hair penises each night and ride turtles naked. But all of this is about to change when evil humans return to Blue Moon and eat all of the water. Ten years on, Jake and his wife must dock hair penises together and travel into caves to meet more aliens, who have some sort of gun that fires liquid shit. Jake, with his knowledge of humans since he used to live inside one, tells the Navi that humans don't like liquid shit. So they fire the liquid shit at the humans and everything goes back to how it was when the movie first started.

Big Andy

Bloke
I watched it tonight, it was visually stunning and it wasn’t that bad, if a bit contrived. It also didn’t need to be over 3 hours long and would’ve been the same film if it was 30 minutes shorter.

better than the first one for me

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was surprisingly enjoyable. It's gonna get crapped on by cynics cos of its naivety and cheesiness, which it has in spades in fairness, but it's genuinely enjoyable. It's amazingly well made, the world building is excellent, and it didn't feel that long - though it could be trimmed in places.

Also, anyone who enjoyed Top Gun earlier this year and dares say anything about the scenario or script here is a hypocrite.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It was surprisingly enjoyable. It's gonna get crapped on by cynics cos of its naivety and cheesiness, which it has in spades in fairness, but it's genuinely enjoyable. It's amazingly well made, the world building is excellent, and it didn't feel that long - though it could be trimmed in places.

Also, anyone who enjoyed Top Gun earlier this year and dares say anything about the scenario or script here is a hypocrite.
Did the visuals feel as impressive as the first?

The first is probably the only movie where despite not really caring about the story or the characters, I was so blown away by the visuals of the world that I was glad I went, which really surprised me. Gonna have to take some family kids to this and I’m wondering if I can expect the same kind of wonder

Last edited:

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Saw this yesterday. I really enjoyed it, visuals were absolutely incredible. It isn’t a completely sophisticated story line, but despite it being over 3 hours long I was kind of hoping it lasted a little longer. Much better than the first I thought.

I’d give it an 8/10 at least. And I’d watch it again down the line (probably need a 50” 4K TV though to get the best out of it).

It’s better than any Marvel film I’ve seen anyway. It’s definitely worth a trip to the cinema to go and see if you enjoy the trip out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Haven’t watched it but nothing can be worse than a Marvel film.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Saw this yesterday. I really enjoyed it, visuals were absolutely incredible. It isn’t a completely sophisticated story line, but despite it being over 3 hours long I was kind of hoping it lasted a little longer. Much better than the first I thought.

I’d give it an 8/10 at least. And I’d watch it again down the line (probably need a 50” 4K TV though to get the best out of it).

It’s better than any Marvel film I’ve seen anyway. It’s definitely worth a trip to the cinema to go and see if you enjoy the trip out.
Glad you enjoyed it, I’m going to see it today. I can look beyond the cheese and guff and still enjoy the positives, I still like the first one. Good fun and Zoe Saldana is hot in whatever colour she comes in. Natural, blue or green :)

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Glad you enjoyed it, I’m going to see it today. I can look beyond the cheese and guff and still enjoy the positives, I still like the first one. Good fun and Zoe Saldana is hot in whatever colour she comes in. Natural, blue or green :)
Casting Weaver as a child was a gut punch though, seemed like a direct counter to my horniness

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Did the visuals feel as impressive as the first?

The first is probably the only movie where despite not really caring about the story or the characters, I was so blown away by the visuals of the world that I was glad I went, which really surprised me. Gonna have to take some family kids to this and I’m wondering if I can expect the same kind of wonder
I remember seeing the first at the cinema when there was this 3D trend, having been unimpressed by all the films I'd seen using the technology before that. It felt like a seminal example of how to use 3D and immerse yourself in a universe, it was super well done.

I didn't see this one in 3D, but in excellent conditions (a Samsung 4K Onyx screening), and while it didn't feel as defining as the first one did (from a technology standpoint), yeah it's gorgeous. I actually prefer the visuals, the whole water universe are beautiful.
Do they still feck their horses in the head?
Wales and shit this time Mockers

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just been to see it in 3D. People will criticise anything these days.

I genuinely thought it was incredible. The visuals are perfect, the 3D is such a leap forward from previous 3D films I’ve seen.

I went in expecting be disappointed after the mixed reviews but honestly, what the heck is there to criticise? It was great fun.

mu4c_20le

Haven't seen it yet but I can't imagine it possibly being cheesier than the first one.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Glad you enjoyed it too! I think this one was better than the first.

RedDevilRoshi

Has anyone seen this in 4DX? Got a Cineworld voucher so unsure whether to go see it in 4DX or just IMAX 3D.

Glad to hear the positive reviews so far.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
What’s the difference?
I think 4D has live effects? Like moving chairs and air and water? I wouldn't fancy seeing a film in those conditions personally but if there's one film to see it like that, it's probably this one.
This was just a film nobody asked for.
So, like most films?

arthurka

This was just a film nobody asked for.
Oh boy did you hit the nail on the head, it's poo with sparkles and glitters. It was a torture to plow through, thought I would die off boredom watching the nursery hour. I hate everything the film stands for and I loathe what the industry pushes towards us these days. 2/10 these two are for Zoe, even she couldn't save this dross.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh boy did you hit the nail on the head, it's poo with sparkles and glitters. It was a torture to plow through, thought I would die off boredom watching the nursery hour. I hate everything the film stands for and I loathe what the industry pushes towards us these days. 2/10 these two are for Zoe, even she couldn't save this dross.
And what, we have three (two? four?) more holiday seasons of releases of this franchise?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very enjoyable movie. Kids loved it especially my boy. What a spectacle in 3D IMAX!

Can't say I'm surprised to see the usual suspects moaning about it....

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think 4D has live effects? Like moving chairs and air and water? I wouldn't fancy seeing a film in those conditions personally but if there's one film to see it like that, it's probably this one.

So, like most films?
Seems challenging to enjoy popcorn & a coke when the damn seat is rumbling around!