Film Avatar: The Way of Water

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’m thinking of seeing the week just because I’ve never seen it before but also it does look fairly shite tbh
I don’t know if it’d still be the same now,
but I didn’t regret going to watch it. The general consensus about the story and the characters are fair, they’re pretty wank, but I loved the visuals. I’m not usually fussed by effects either.

Also I think you’d derive enjoyment from the villain in an ironic way

Withnail

I’m thinking of seeing the week just because I’ve never seen it before but also it does look fairly shite tbh

With films like T2 or Titanic, I think it’s down to them working as great action/drama films but with Avatar it does give off a type live, laugh and love brain vibes.
I was blown away by it back in the day and didn't really care too much about the generic storyline or bother analysing how derivative or lame it was. It was an impressive visual spectacle and the first movie I'd seen with that version of 3D. I'm not sure how well it would hold up now.

Sylar

The 3D aspect was something for sure. I saw the movie on TV again and it wasnt the same. Its not a bad movie or anything. Just the 3D hype enhanced it, and thats not a bad thing either for a cinema experience.

I dont mind if the sequel is the same.

Sweet Square

I don’t know if it’d still be the same now,
but I didn’t regret going to watch it. The general consensus about the story and the characters are fair, they’re pretty wank, but I loved the visuals. I’m not usually fussed by effects either.
I was blown away by it back in the day and didn't really care too much about the generic storyline or bother analysing how derivative or lame it was. It was an impressive visual spectacle and the first movie I'd seen with that version of 3D. I'm not sure how well it would hold up now.
Cheers. Got tickets booked for tomorrow.

Also I think you’d derive enjoyment from the villain in an ironic way
Yeah I’ve heard it’s almost a anti imperialism feel to the film. Oddly enough Cameron films for the most part have contain pretty decent criticisms of western capitalism.

Sweet Square

I’m thinking about it but it’s an hour train ride to get there(It’s the IMAX in waterloo).

Is there a massive difference ? I’ve only been once to a imax screen and while it was great, it was also a very weird 3D version of Terminator 2.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I’m thinking about it but it’s an hour train ride to get there(It’s the IMAX in waterloo).

Is there a massive difference ? I’ve only been once to a imax screen and while it was great, it was also a very weird 3D version of Terminator 2.
If the opportunity is there I'd 100% go to the IMAX. "Remastered" IMAX screenings of old movies are nowhere near as impressive as films made with IMAX cameras that utilise the entire screen, and Avatar is arguably the best of the lot.

I actually went to see T2 on IMAX too when it had that mini release a few years back and I was seriously unimpressed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It looks like this second movie is about Jake being seen as an outcast and trying to prove himself, whilst invading humans try to steal the planet's natural resources, before it all culminates in a massive battle between everyone plus some fantastical beasts - but this time it's in the sea!

stevoc

Didn't even realize this was out next month, it's been so long I assumed it was still a year or two away. Is this shit going to be in 3D again or have cinemas abandoned that?

It looks like this second movie is about Jake being seen as an outcast and trying to prove himself, whilst invading humans try to steal the planet's natural resources, before it all culminates in a massive battle between everyone plus some fantastical beasts - but this time it's in the sea!
Just wait until the 3rd one comes out. It's set in a desert.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No sexy mermaids either, whats the point!?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I could listen to this guy talk about movies all day long...

Some interesting tidbits, loved his story about how he got Sigourney Weaver to sign on for Aliens.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Ok, now I am definitely watching this in the cinema.
Avatar (1, 2, n) has always been an "only-cinema" experience. The first blew my mind as I'm sure the second will. Doesn't mean I'll ever watch in any other format though. :)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Only watched the first one on our projecter and at the cinema. Same again. Can't wait. I do think any movie over three hours should have a restroom break at some point though.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Haven't seen the first so am glad to avoid this one too.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Are there any people actually excited about this? I thought the first movie was incredibly dull and boring, didn't enjoy it at all although it was visually stunning at the time. This sequel feels about 10 years too late.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are there any people actually excited about this? I thought the first movie was incredibly dull and boring, didn't enjoy it at all although it was visually stunning at the time. This sequel feels about 10 years too late.
I'm not crazy excited but I'm looking forward to it and will watch it in the halls. I don't think it's 10 years too late as there haven't been films since if any that have matched that visual spectacle. Everyone is busy making superhero films.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought the first movie was decent. Plus GdT is someone whose opinion I would take seriously so yeah, I’m looking forward to watching this.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not overly excited but I will go and see it at the cinema. I personally enjoyed the first, perfect popcorn cinema and I fancied the tall blue bird! Hot she was.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not crazy excited but I'm looking forward to it and will watch it in the halls. I don't think it's 10 years too late as there haven't been films since if any that have matched that visual spectacle. Everyone is busy making superhero films.
Also this. Any big budget sci fi/fantasy movie which isn’t about the Marvel fecking Cinematic Universe will be a refreshing change.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm excited about the technology, less so about the movie itself.

Sweet Square

Are there any people actually excited about this?
People went crazy for the re-release.

Despite 13 years passing since “Avatar” first hit theaters, moviegoers are still dazzled by the striking world of Pandora.

In anticipation of the sequel “The Way of Water,” which opens in December, Disney re-released James Cameron’s original science-fiction epic to promising results. The film generated $10 million in North America and $20.5 million internationally over the weekend — a huge turnout for movie that opened more than a decade ago, even if that movie happens to be the highest-grossing global release in history. With this weekend’s returns, “Avatar” widens its lead as the biggest movie of all time with $2.85 billion worldwide.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/avatar-rerelease-box-office-james-cameron-1235383082/
A lot of people are going to watch the new film.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The images look of a very high quality, both the design and the animation. The visuals and gimmickry just about got me through the first film but this looks to be an unbearable endurance. I can't take over 3 hours of new age eco-babble from a fictionalised savage, used as a scourge for white liberal flagellation, not to mention what promises to be a regurgitated, infantile story. Shame because there are moments of visual effects wow in all of Jim's films. Which is quite impressive given that almost every massively expensive CGI fest is disgusting to look at.

JP77

Planning on booking it for a day out with the wife and kids for our first time at 4DX 3D. Any advice on seating? Is it okay in the second row without it being too close to the screen? Would have liked something more in the middle rows but they're all completely booked for the entire weekend that it comes out.