Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter

American
Made a dodgy start ,but soon settled down and helped to control the game.

Dante

Average bang
Passes per minute this season in the league:

Bastian - 0.94
Herrera - 0.68
Schneiderlin - 0.61
Carrick - 0.56
Mata - 0.52
Memphis - 0.43
Young - 0.38
Januzaj - 0.27
------
Blind - 0.69
Smalling - 0.53

Admittedly, the sample size is small and the figures are skewed by what period of the matches the players played in... but it's pretty clear how much of a playmaker Schweinsteiger is.

Mata comes out of this pretty well too, imo. He's not a winger, he's an AM who starts out wide so I don't know why people judge him by the standards of a Beckham or Kanchelskis.

Blackwidow

Yes, and while he is not fit yet, he isn't 'so overweight'.:)
No.

Just as comparison - a picture from the World Cup. He might have had a little overweight at the beginning of the training - but that might be pretty normal after 5 weeks of holidays.

Bogga

Carrick is a great player... but in all fairness, Schweini is better. Can't see why Carrick should start ahead of him?

Schn/Schw should be starters in all important games.

Cina

Maybe it's £6m upfront and then the rest is dependant on appearances etc? It'd make since given his injuries and fitness concerns.

Brightonian

Schn/Schw should be starters in all important games.
There's no point declaring it an absolute like that. They're beautifully interchangeable and both seem capable of slotting straight in when needed, so we should just play whoever's in better form at the time. During pre-season and the first couple of games that was Carrick, because Schweinsteiger hadn't quite got up to speed yet. Now it looks like it's Bastian, so we should be starting him. If he loses form or fitness at any point, Carrick can come in as first choice again. Etc.

Jacob

I rather Bastian start over Carrick versus Newcastle. Give him a home game to prove if he is a starter. On the plus side, we get to rest Carrick for Brugge away.

izec

Find it funny how the price that we payed dropped from the initial 20m Euros when the transfer was announced, a few weeks later it was 15m Euros and now it comes out it was just 10m Euros that we payed. Fantastic if true.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
For me although Carrick had a few ropey moments I thought we played better when he was on the pitch. Having said that, Rooney seemed to liven up a lot playing with Schweinsteiger so hopefully that becomes a trend.

The Purley King

Schweinsteiger has done pretty well thus far, but you can see how he could play when fully fit. He is just busy. Get it pass it, get it pass it.......... keeps things ticking over brilliantly. When he does get fit I think its an easy decision that he'll start ahead of Carrick.

Blackwidow

Interesting...

Fredi Binder - who Bayern got rid off after last season (he was very close to Müller-Wohlfahrt - he worked for Bayern for 36 years - gets flown in to Manchester vor Bastian...

Riz

Interesting...

Fredi Binder - who Bayern got rid off after last season (he was very close to Müller-Wohlfahrt - he worked for Bayern for 36 years - gets flown in to Manchester vor Bastian...
What's the story, he's hired him as a personal physio or the club has?

OldRed73

Hoping Basti starts tomorrow and proves a lot of people wrong - still world class IMO

SirAF

Ageist
Schweinsteiger has done pretty well thus far, but you can see how he could play when fully fit. He is just busy. Get it pass it, get it pass it.......... keeps things ticking over brilliantly. When he does get fit I think its an easy decision that he'll start ahead of Carrick.
Absolutely, I love Carrick but a fully fit Schweinsteiger is clearly ahead of him. It's going to be great to have the chance to rotate with those two over the course of the season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Moreover I think a more rested Carrick will be better for the team and for himself, it's hard for him to play consecutively. He is a bit old and more than ever his fitness has to be managed intelligently.

SirAF

Ageist

Interesting...

Does anyone know what it says? @Balu ?

worldinmotion66

There's no point declaring it an absolute like that. They're beautifully interchangeable and both seem capable of slotting straight in when needed, so we should just play whoever's in better form at the time. During pre-season and the first couple of games that was Carrick, because Schweinsteiger hadn't quite got up to speed yet. Now it looks like it's Bastian, so we should be starting him. If he loses form or fitness at any point, Carrick can come in as first choice again. Etc.
I generally agree but I'd like to accommodate Carrick in his natural role when we do play him, as a holding player in a three. This would make a lot of sense given that the squad balance has shifted from top heavy to overly stocked in midfield, and would allow us to play Herrera in his optimal role alongside Schneiderlin.

When we want to play in the current system, I think Schweinsteiger should be in ahead of Carrick when possible. Horses for courses and all that...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Schweini's longterm physio will be flown to Manchester several times each week to treat Schweini's precious muscles. The rest just tells the history of the physio at Bayern, who worked for 36 years at the club.

Blackwidow

Im not Balu. But the most of the article is telling the story again who Fredi Binder is etc. (worked 36 for Bayern, the players trusted him, was set free by Bayern after last season etc.) - that is why I did not translate that. The main part is that he gets flown into Manchester a couple of times to take care of Bastian and that that is not selfevident as United has its own team. But - that van Gaal knows Binder and the relationship he has to Schweinsteiger.

So they were never re-instated? i thought that calmer heads would prevail..Bayern have a new medical team now?
For Binder Christian Huhn came in as a physio. He worked for the German national team before.

Bayern works together with the doctor who before took care of the U23 (he was always stationed in the house) - and with several experts out of the surrounding - Müller-Wohlfahrt is one of them. As the players of the national team and Ribery and Robben will anyways go to Müller-Wohlfahrt...

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Schweini's longterm physio will be flown to Manchester several times each week to treat Schweini's precious muscles. The rest just tells the history of the physio at Bayern, who worked for 36 years at the club.
Thanks mate!

Im not Balu. But the most of the article is telling the story again who Fredi Binder is etc. (worked 36 for Bayern, the players trusted him, was set free by Bayern after last season etc.) - that is why I did not translate that. The main part is that he gets flown into Manchester a couple of times to take care of Bastian and that that is not self-effident as United has its own team. But - that van Gaal knows Binder and the relationship he has to Schweinsteiger.
:lol:

Thank you, too.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Having watched Schweinsteiger closely at home games I still think he's playing within himself. He still looks laboured. I'd still have him coming on when the opposition gets tired until he gains full match fitness.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I generally agree but I'd like to accommodate Carrick in his natural role when we do play him, as a holding player in a three. This would make a lot of sense given that the squad balance has shifted from top heavy to overly stocked in midfield, and would allow us to play Herrera in his optimal role alongside Schneiderlin.

When we want to play in the current system, I think Schweinsteiger should be in ahead of Carrick when possible. Horses for courses and all that...
Pretty much.

I'd even have Herrera ahead with easier opponents who just sit back with just one of Carrick, Schweini or Schneiderlin holding.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If he starts alongside Schneiderlin, it'll be a good idea for him to start. Him and Carrick don't fit.

Moby

Dick
Having watched Schweinsteiger closely at home games I still think he's playing within himself. He still looks laboured. I'd still have him coming on when the opposition gets tired until he gains full match fitness.
He's still getting back to full fitness. This was a few days back :

"I am fit, I am getting fitter," Schweinsteiger told Sky Sports. "I had long holidays this summer and I came a little bit late to the team, and then I had a small calf injury in America, which was not perfect. "But I am getting in better and better shape and within one or two weeks I will be at the highest level and then I can play like I want.

Devil may care

Started well and then got that knock, he does look like he's carrying a bit too much of Snake Eyes pet Wolf though.

Status
Not open for further replies.