g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bastian Schweinsteiger image 31

Bastian Schweinsteiger Germany flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Love him to bits, What i have noticed plenty of times he plays first time passes alot, Carrick for all his class doesn't play too many first time passes. and he tries some very difficult passes at times. I feel with him we will be far more creative going forward than Carrick. Yesterday him and Herrera there were so many ocassions when they played very difficult first time passes which other players might have taken two touches, and it increased the tempo of our play in the second half to the extent Brugge couldnt keep up with it.
Quite possibly one of the least true things I've read in my life.

ZDwyr

Love him to bits, What i have noticed plenty of times he plays first time passes alot, Carrick for all his class doesn't play too many first time passes. and he tries some very difficult passes at times. I feel with him we will be far more creative going forward than Carrick. Yesterday him and Herrera there were so many ocassions when they played very difficult first time passes which other players might have taken two touches, and it increased the tempo of our play in the second half to the extent Brugge couldnt keep up with it.
Sorry but that is just not true.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Completed 57 of 59 passes in 45 minutes yesterday... Tends to average more then a pass per minute as well. You can tell he's getting closer and closer to full fitness. Hopefully he doesn't pick up a knock while away on international duty though. Van Gaal is the perfect manager to manage his fitness IMO so I can see him doing well on the injury front this year... So long as he doesn't pick them up while he's with the national team.

Witchking

Played well yesterday, has an excellent passing range. Currently my favorite United player. Next is Herrera. Both are brilliant additions to United. Always wanted him to come here. Great guy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Completed 57 of 59 passes in 45 minutes yesterday... Tends to average more then a pass per minute as well. You can tell he's getting closer and closer to full fitness. Hopefully he doesn't pick up a knock while away on international duty though. Van Gaal is the perfect manager to manage his fitness IMO so I can see him doing well on the injury front this year... So long as he doesn't pick them up while he's with the national team.
Best thing about him is that he tries to play first time passes whenever possible.

criticalanalysis

Quite possibly one of the least true things I've read in my life.
Sorry but that is just not true.
In response, this:

(I know koroux is taling about Bastian here)

Best thing about him is that he tries to play first time passes whenever possible.
Carrick is far too content on playing the status quo. I'm not undervaluing his discipline and other passing strengths but he is not a tempo setter of the highest calibre. Case in point? His midfield partner Scholes, who was a one-touch passer and played triangles all over the pitch to set HIS pace. Carrick is happy to play as the game goes. Of course we've seen many instances where Carrick has brilliantly injected life into the game but for a player of his ability, it's never been frequent enough for my liking. As such, square-ball Carrick is equally an unfair AND fair critique.

There's a style clash that I can appreciate because you can put any two very different players against each other and make one look bad but even taking that into account, Carrick's ability on the ball has actually been overshadowed by his tactical positioning and discipline. Of course I'm being harsh but it's only because I expect more from a good player.

steve9

Just adding a bit of wisdom about Schweinsteiger, from a German who has watched him since he was 19:

Over the years he has developed into something English football probably doesn't know: A box-to-box midfielder without the running. That doesn't mean he's not running, when fit. He will occassionally show up everywhere, on both wings too -- his left foot is very good too! But he's too smart to do it all day long.

What is true, though, but not because of his age: He should have somebody next to him in order to do a good part of the dirty work. Why wasting him on that? You're not paying him for cleaning up. But he will take care if necessary.

His brilliance shines when he has the game in front of him, sometimes on the 6, or at the 8, or at the 10. He will play all those spots at times. He can control a game, sure. And he can pass, oh boy, he can pass. I have seen several of the most brilliant vertical passes ever from him. Xavi like. And those passes had to go usually into a 10-men wall that Bayern is always facing.

Stay tuned until he has adjusted to his teammates. And I mean 'adjusting to his teammates': As soon as he knows exactly how they are playing and running, he will deliver them. And then you'll enjoy the real Bastian.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In response, this:

(I know koroux is taling about Bastian here)

Carrick is far too content on playing the status quo. I'm not undervaluing his discipline and other passing strengths but he is not a tempo setter of the highest calibre. Case in point? His midfield partner Scholes, who was a one-touch passer and played triangles all over the pitch to set HIS pace. Carrick is happy to play as the game goes. Of course we've seen many instances where Carrick has brilliantly injected life into the game but for a player of his ability, it's never been frequent enough for my liking. As such, square-ball Carrick is equally an unfair AND fair critique.

There's a style clash that I can appreciate because you can put any two very different players against each other and make one look bad but even taking that into account, Carrick's ability on the ball has actually been overshadowed by his tactical positioning and discipline. Of course I'm being harsh but it's only because I expect more from a good player.
I'd say this is a rather accurate description of Carrick. He's showed he's capable of quick one touch football, capable of dangerous through balls and beautiful long passes. It's just he doesn't display those beautiful qualities on the same frequency Bastian does. Carrick's best season was in the last PL won by Utd, he was something else and he was consistently good.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That pass is ridiculous because it seems like the ball is too close to his standing foot and therefore it would make the pass much more difficult but he pulled it off with some ease.
Yeah, getting the right power and accuracy for that with such a short follow through is just something class.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
With every day that goes by, this signing just gets better and better for me. When the links first came up, I tried to stay out of all the excitement because I wasn't convinced it was the right move by United, even though I knew his quality. But every time you see him in the United shirt, interviews and passes like the one to Herrera (on top of finding out it was only 6 or so million), it is just a brilliant signing.

I think (and expect him to) van Gaal really needs to manage him, when you see what he can bring, there will be a natural pressure to use him but we need to get as much football out of him as possible over the next few seasons.

Kag

That pass the other night was otherworldly. So, so good.

This signing is a steal. I find it odd it's been met with so much scepticism elsewhere. He's 31, not dead.

Varun

Staff
When I play with my friends, if the ball is too close to my standing foot, most of the time, whatever I attempt to do (pass or shoot) turns into shit. This is what directly caught my eye.
No shit.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Name one that was better?
I'm sure Scholes has produced better passes. To label a pass as the best pass ever, that should have been defended better is some call and I can't agree with it. Taking nothing away from this great pass but if Falcao wasn't playing CB, it would have been a straight forward interception.

Again, it's a great ball but that's it.

Classical Mechanic

I'm sure Scholes has produced better passes. To label a pass as the best pass ever, that should have been defended better is some call and I can't agree with it. Taking nothing away from this great pass but if Falcao wasn't playing CB, it would have been a straight forward interception.

Again, it's a great ball but that's it.
I said in my memory as I can' recall a better single pass.

Classical Mechanic

Passes are not goals, they don't stick out in the memory as much. I can't remember some passes from last week so this one is easy to remember.
A few of Xavi's stick in my mind and one of Rooney's in the 2008 CL final. Also a back healed touch from Ronaldo to Rooney against Portsmouth I think that set Rooney through to score.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nah, not for me. Rooney's pass to RVP was great but enhanced by the finish. Schweisteiger's was a glorious defence splitting pass from an awkward starting point.
That's obviously subjective but you are wrong.:p

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I said in my memory as I can' recall a better single pass.

Skip to 1.07... Always the one I remember when talking about best United pass. The importance of it too was huge as it sparked that comeback, pretty sure Liverpool were top at the time too so it meant we reclaimed top spot.

Edit - I know we are getting off topic now but that is up there with Rooney's greatest performances for us

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Skip to 1.07... Always the one I remember when talking about best United pass. The importance of it too was huge as it sparked that comeback, pretty sure Liverpool were top at the time too so it meant we reclaimed top spot.

Edit - I know we are getting off topic now but that is up there with Rooney's greatest performances for us
That third goal gave me goosebumps. What a game.

Riz

Think that was the only time we had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov on at the same time wasn't it? :drool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Berbatov too. That touch at 1.40 :drool:

Shark

@NotShark
That pass the other night was otherworldly. So, so good.

This signing is a steal. I find it odd it's been met with so much scepticism elsewhere. He's 31, not dead.
Toure for example is 32 and still a massive part of City's midfield. See Carrick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.