6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Carrick is a great player and he gets a lot of shit from a few United fans, which is completely undeserved. But it's no slight on him if he comes as second best to Schweinsteiger though and there's no need to be defensive. He's not 'miles better' than Carrick, but it's also needless to say Schweinsteiger isn't quiet good as he used to be. Both are great players and I'm glad to have both of them playing in our team, but Schweinsteiger is clearly the better player and is clearly visible. Not miles, but clearly better.
He isn't as good as he once was though. I'm not saying he isn't still a very good player because he is. The statement I replied to was stupid though. Carrick is more than capable of putting in the performances Schweinsteiger has this season.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
He isn't as good as he once was though. I'm not saying he isn't still a very good player because he is. The statement I replied to was stupid though. Carrick is more than capable of putting in the performances Schweinsteiger has this season.
Well, nobody is the same player they were two years ago, especially players who are pushing 30 and above. Applies for Rolando/Messi/Carrick.

Not sure if Carrick can do the same of what Schweinsteiger is doing, at least not this effectively.

suheilsworld

Considering he is coming back from a slight injury, this was a good performance from him. Really hoping Carrick can pull his socks and we can bench Bastian against CSKA to keep him fresh against City. 25-30 mins against CSKA should be a good run for him.

Godfather

You are dead wrong in regards to Carrick imo

kotha

What a player!! Calm and composed.. He ll start the CSKA match for sure,hopefully will get taken off early after we get a couple of goals and we can give him rest till the weekend!!

Riz

What a player!! Calm and composed.. He ll start the CSKA match for sure,hopefully will get taken off early after we get a couple of goals and we can give him rest till the weekend!!
I hope we rest him to be honest. Think Carrick next to Schneiderlin is good enought to start, that combination gets labelled as too defensive but we're away in Europe so it's probably the best time to play it. I'd rather have Bastian fresh for the derby at the weekend where his leadership will be key.

He does a good job of battening down the hatches so ideally we should give him 20 minutes at the end of the CSKA match.

ZDwyr

This guy oozes class. Giving instructions all over and a very calming influences on the pitch. Captain de facto
Saw him telling Smalling and Jones to push wider at one point in the first half. Such a smart player, really beneficial to have him around some of the younger guys.

NK86

He reminds me of Roy Keane in that he is so vocal as a captain on the pitch. He is such a born leader. There was a point in the first half when Smalling and Jones seemed to be advancing a bit and BFS simply just told 'em off. Asked them where exactly they should be holding their positions. So refreshing to see a midfield general again.

Oneunited26

Well, nobody is the same player they were two years ago, especially players who are pushing 30 and above. Applies for Rolando/Messi/Carrick.

Not sure if Carrick can do the same of what Schweinsteiger is doing, at least not this effectively.
I would rather bastian in the team with morgan and herrera than carrick, yes bastian is in his early 30's, but lets be honest carrick 35 pushing 36, would rather bastian in the team. Who offers experience, leadership and is just a upgrade over carrick now

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Class performance, but I was disappointed with him vs Arsenal and would want to see how he does vs a weakened City side before calling him best in the league and all that. He's had some outstanding performances but also quite some lesser ones.
He was let down incredibly by those around him against Arsenal.

I am not saying he played well, but he wasn't at fault for the pathetic performances in defence and and the rest of midfield.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was let down incredibly by those around him against Arsenal.

I am not saying he played well, but he wasn't at fault for the pathetic performances in defence and and the rest of midfield.
He was all over the place and completely abandoned his position, of course he was at fault. He has been great but it doesn't make him exempt from criticism.

Kag

He was all over the place and completely abandoned his position, of course he was at fault. He has been great but it doesn't make him exempt from criticism.
I disagree. To me he was fulfilling to Scheiderlin role in the side. Carrick tends to sit and Morgan usually presses right alongside the striker. Schweinsteiger was doing that, the problem is that he doesn't have the legs.

Schweinsteiger is far too long in the tooth to be abandoning his position on a whim. These were our tactics. The wrong ones, granted, but he was doing what the manager wanted.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I disagree. To me he was fulfilling to Scheiderlin role in the side. Carrick tends to sit and Morgan usually presses right alongside the striker. Schweinsteiger was doing that, the problem is that he doesn't have the legs.

Schweinsteiger is far too long in the tooth to be abandoning his position on a whim. These were our tactics. The wrong ones, granted, but he was doing what the manager wanted.
Schneiderlin never just abandons the midfield and tries to press CBs by himself. We were playing two strikers anyway so there was no need for him to do it. He was also chasing the ball out wide and everywhere but in the midfield. He also abandoned his position yesterday when he was filling in at CB so I'll have to disagree that he is somehow to good to abandon his position. The tactics were to play with no midfield? I'm not buying that.

Kag

Schneiderlin never just abandons the midfield and tries to press CBs by himself. We were playing two strikers anyway so there was no need for him to do it. He was also chasing the ball out wide and everywhere but in the midfield. He also abandoned his position yesterday when he was filling in at CB so I'll have to disagree that he is somehow to good to abandon his position. The tactics were to play with no midfield? I'm not buying that.
Schneiderlin presses hard and bypasses Rooney in most games we play. On occasions he's been the one pressing the goalkeeper, infact. Our second striker tends to drop back in when he does this.

The tactics clearly weren't "abandon the midfield," but one midfielder pressing higher than the other is obvious as we've been doing it all season.

I don't know what you're referring to about centre back yesterday?

Sam

Was he this active on social media at Bayern? He seems to be going above and beyond to form an attachment with the fans so far with United.

What a man.

Blackwidow

Was he this active on social media at Bayern? He seems to be going above and beyond to form an attachment with the fans so far with United.

What a man.
He is more active than he used to be - but he might have more time in England for that now than he had in Munich where he had his full social life. Martinez told last week that he is phoning with him very often.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm sorry but Schweinsteiger was and still is in another league to Carrick, that's no slight on Carrick but it's bonkers to think they were ever comparable. Carrick is as criminally overrated as he is under at times.

ZDwyr

I was surprised he started. Thought he'd rotate with Carrick to keep him fresh.

kundalini

His stats look ok. Thought he was overly safe in his passing, as were most of the team in the first half. Hardly any imagination from anyone. Didn't notice many runs off the ball, with the exception of Lingard, so perhaps that explains the predictable passing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he played pretty well but he got subbed off for a bit of a rest before City and also so we can start going long to Fellaini if needed.

NoPace

Did anyone else get offended on his behalf when Owen said Carrick should be first choice over him? I'm generally a big Carrick supporter, but he's never been quite at Schweinsteiger's level, and now that Schweinsteiger is just past his prime and Carrick is well past his, it's not that close.

InfiniteBoredom

Did anyone else get offended on his behalf when Owen said Carrick should be first choice over him? I'm generally a big Carrick supporter, but he's never been quite at Schweinsteiger's level, and now that Schweinsteiger is just past his prime and Carrick is well past his, it's not that close.
Carrick is usually useless until Christmas. I won't count him out for the season yet. But yes, Bastian is simply better, period

NoPace

Carrick is usually useless until Christmas. I won't count him out for the season yet. But yes, Bastian is simply better, period
Agreed on both counts. We may need the usual post-winter Carrick brilliance if Schweinsteiger has injury problems.

Acole9

Outstanding
Carrick has never been as good as Schweinsteiger. For me this season he's been one of our worst players.

Schweinsteiger looked a bit off last night which is obviously why he was taken off. I do prefer to start with him and Schneiderlin for the City game.

Status
Not open for further replies.