6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Did anyone else get offended on his behalf when Owen said Carrick should be first choice over him? I'm generally a big Carrick supporter, but he's never been quite at Schweinsteiger's level, and now that Schweinsteiger is just past his prime and Carrick is well past his, it's not that close.
Owen generally has his tongue stuck up Carrick's arse.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Did anyone else get offended on his behalf when Owen said Carrick should be first choice over him? I'm generally a big Carrick supporter, but he's never been quite at Schweinsteiger's level, and now that Schweinsteiger is just past his prime and Carrick is well past his, it's not that close.
I think had we seen a more in form Carrick this season then the argument wouldn't be straight forward.

As it happens Carrick has been pretty bad this season so far, so yeah feck you Michael Owen! :)

acnumber9

Carrik was better last season than Schcweinsteiger has been so far. We can't just ignore the fact that he is having as many poor games as good games currently.

Man Utd 0:0 Man City

Devil may care

I'm not sure how to view him today, he did give the ball away a few times but I think he was tasked with being the creator so the risks that carries are that you'll give 2 or 3 over hit ones, his composure on the ball deeper though was important in us controlling the game.

Eddy_JukeZ

A good game, but a few shaky moments. His pressing was instrumental to us controlling the midfield.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He plays it too safe for my liking. Carrick's not been in good form this season but even in less game time he's played more penetrative passes. Schweinsteiger controls the game brilliantly but I think we should be asking more of him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm not sure how to view him today, he did give the ball away a few times but I think he was tasked with being the creator so the risks that carries are that you'll give 2 or 3 over hit ones, his composure on the ball deeper though was important in us controlling the game.
Well, he didn't really create anything, so that shouldn't be a valid excuse. He was average today.

izec

Too safe, but a great fighter. I would prefer if he shoots more and goes for the killer pass at times, today too many touches and just passing it around to death.

m1y2

That Schmidfield + Ander could be supersolid and crative enough for midtable and lowertable teams but when it's played at higher tempo, he struggles a bit. Maybe we should rotate them even more with Carrick who would have been fresher today, maybe drop both for Fellaini, we played some lovely football with last year. I'd rest them both next game Carrick and Basti.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Poor recently after a good start, no ambition in his passing today at all. Carrick used to get stick for passing sideways and backwards but Bastian took it to a new level this afternoon.

Devil81

Seems a yard or two slower than I thought he'd be, having said that it's hardly a surprise given Bayern allowed him to leave. They wouldn't allow a peak condition Schweinstieger leave, we've got the shot legged on the decline version.

Given all that I still feel his experience is going to be huge during the season ahead.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This thread is hilarious, just look before and after the man City thread mark.

Before threadmark = awesome midfielder
After threadmark = poor form

worldinmotion66

Schweinsteiger is playing the role that Van Gaal demands perfectly. He controls the game and gives us the solid base and pressing to win the ball back instantly.

We seem to be happy to control games and play cautiously to try and nick a goal and three points, which I am fine with away from home or against the better teams, but we cannot continue like this when we concede. If we go a goal down, I want to see Schweinsteiger taken off and a more attacking midfielder come on - we look a decent threat with Schneiderlin anchoring and two others (currently Herrera and Fellaini) going forward. I'd like to see Pereira given a chance centrally, when we need a goal at least. We need pace and Schweinsteiger can't give us that, but there really is nobody better at controlling a game.

Ekeke

I was happy to see him running with the ball at times, something he definitely can bring to games that Carrick doesnt. However he can be very frustrating with his passing, 83% is pretty low for the kind of pass selection he makes

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
He was brilliant today. Some of you need to pay attention to the game.

Minimalist

I'm amazed. He was very effective today and did his job almost perfectly.

What the hell are you lot expecting from him? Maybe a goal would have been nice but he did everything else.

Him and Schneiderlin are a great partnership.

Manny

Grammar Police
I must have watched a different game to some of the posters above. I thought he was fine. 7/10 performance

Only issue I have is that he looked spent when he was subbed off.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm with the minority here today. I thought he had a very good game.

He's one of them players, excellent to watch with the ball at his feet. Every time the ball is passed to him, he looks up, knows what his next move is, and executes it.
His passing may look simple, but it's what he does before the pass, he takes the player out of the game before he passes

Sylar

From being at the game, he ran us in the second half. There was a period where we just kept getting the ball back of City every time, and it was thanks to him. You can see hes such a good leader on the pitch. He had a few misplaced passes, but other than that, you can also see he has a great understanding with Morgan.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
He bossed it today. I think people were expecting a different kind of player going by some of the comments. I love the way he pushes forward in that left-hand channel and always seems to be available for the ball.

rooney1905

He was good today. Not his best outing but he helped us dominate and keep pressure on them, especially in the second half. Not sure what some of you were watching but he was just fine today. That midfield three did very well and most mid fields would be overrun by City's power and speed.

ZDwyr

I thought he was quite good. He did give the ball away at times but his passing helped us gain control in midfield.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I will admit that I've been slightly underwhelmed by Bastian so far.

I think he is putting in solid 6/10 performances, but certainly not hitting the heights I'd expect from him, just yet anyway.

No doubt he still has the quality, but just expected a tad more that's all.

Kag

fecking hell, do people not remember when our midfield was incapable of stringing together five passes, too slow to press and win back the ball and regularly taken to task by teams sat just above the relegation places?

Our midfield right now is light years ahead of anything we've seen here in almost ten years. It controls games with such an ease I think people are beginning to take it for granted. Schweinsteiger's arrival, alongside Schneiderlin, is a big part of the reason why we can go to places like Goodison Park, or away to Moscow, and completely dominate the ball.

Our team is a major work in progress but we should call out the positives when they are there. Our midfield is very good, and does what the managers demands to a tee.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His calmness in playing out of the back under pressure is almost like playing FIFA 16. Such a boss. Its like he pops 4 valiums before every game.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He seems to play the same terrible lobbed pass over the top about 3 times per game. Apart from that he's been fine.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One moment in the last game summed it up for me. He had made himself space for a perfect shot instead he decided to try and slide someone in. That's not the Schweinsteiger I want to see

Sam

Is it just me or does his technique occasionally let him down for no apparent reason? Like he'll scuff a pass or miss hit a through ball for no apparent reason. Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, its just a bit strange.

He also needs to stop trying to dribble past people with skill, because he can't do it. At all.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I think it's not just coincidence that every player on here bar De Gea and the centerbacks has been criticized for his offensive contribution and not risking more. This is the way Van Gaal wants to play - one either agrees or disagrees with it but there's no point in slagging off the individual players for it.

FujiVice

He plays like Brian McClair used to in reserve games in 1997. He's obviously a step above a lot of the players, but he never takes shots, he's always looking to help other people along and then he gets a stitch after 65 minutes. I'm begging for a bit of selfishness from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.