Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
What I like about signings like this is that they can have a knock-on effect in a tough market these days. You buy one very highly regarded player and then other top players whose minds are 50/50 about where to go can suddenly be swayed. There is no downside at all to this signing, only if we didn't sign Schneiderlin, but by all accounts we're still going ahead with that too.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Most important thing I see is that Schweinsteiger is great when he plays but he has played even fewer minutes than Carrick last season which is worrying.

Also looking at those stats it is weird Carrick is considered our best midfielder, he is worse than the other 3 compared on those stats.
He missed from the start of the season until November with an injury, a total of 18 games.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Please take note: This is the United forum.

No more GIFS, kermits etc...

Only Olly and a few others are allowed to post their own creations.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Most important thing I see is that Schweinsteiger is great when he plays but he has played even fewer minutes than Carrick last season which is worrying.

Also looking at those stats it is weird Carrick is considered our best midfielder, he is worse than the other 3 compared on those stats.
Stats are often misleading. They're all different players with differing roles.

Al-T

How long before Phil Jones injures him in training?

RedStarUnited

hope he brings his world cup medal to carrington. 'Have you got one of these? Have you? How about you?'
Mata will just smile and bring his out. Which will include 2 European championship medals, that Bastian doesn't own.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Oooooh! Someone's a bit jealous.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What I like about signings like this is that they can have a knock-on effect in a tough market these days. You buy one very highly regarded player and then other top players whose minds are 50/50 about where to go can suddenly be swayed. There is no downside at all to this signing, only if we didn't sign Schneiderlin, but by all accounts we're still going ahead with that too.
Yep, not only with transfers, but buying a world class player with Schweinsteigers history can only have a positive impact throughout the squad. He's somebody who will always give 100% and definitely raise everyone's game, will demand the highest standards from everyone, and is a true leader in there, something we have lacked. Ignoring his obvious individual quality on the pitch, I can't see how all our other players don't improve playing alongside him and seeing him out there next to them. Even if only for a couple of seasons, it will be huge for us.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Couldn't be happier with Danny Ings :lol:
The three players we've signed so far in Memphis, Schweini and Darmian will be more effective than all the average shite they've signed.

SteveW

Just further evidence that stats do not tell the full story. When Carrick played we won. When he didn't we didn't.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You've got to wonder what losing Kroos and Schweinsteiger in consecutive seasons is doing to Bayern's image. Also first time in 5 years the Germany captain won't be playing at Bayern.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Here's hoping that with Bastian here he will help us get Leno to replace De Gea.

Lyricist

Very happy for Schweinsteiger. He has always said he wants the abroad experience. Also the way Pep brought in the even older Alonso and instantly gave him Schweinsteiger's role at Bayern is a ridiculous treatment to a man who should be treated like a legend for club and country.

Jerch

1. We didn't lost De Gea jet and i am more confident that he will stay day after day.
2. I know it is a joke but how can he, as a pundit, joke about WC winner and such a great player like Bastian. Surely someone who is as well known as he is in the media can't just post like that.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Blind and Fellaini aren't good enough to play in our midfield long term, so that would be pretty ideal.
Yeah but last year we finished fourth and got knocked out of the cups. We're aiming to go a lot better next season, I don't think anyone sees Blind and Fellaini improving to the extent that they can play a pivotal role in making that happen.
I agree but I do not see why they would be content with warming the bench after showing they are more than capable starters for United last season. As I stated, if they are ok with being subsidiary players then it will work out great. However, I m not sure what type of a player would want to be bit part players.

All the top European teams have an abundance of quality midfield players - look at the talent in Munich's midfield for starters.

Also:
Carrick - Getting on and will be expected to play more reservedly at his age
Fellaini - Let's be honest, never going to be a regular starter under LVG, nor do I think he'll care if he's playing a more marginal role, I get the impression he loves being here regardless.
Pereira - He's still a youngster
Blind - I'm sure he was signed for his versatility, not to be a regular starter in the midfield. Its a long season so he'll get plenty of minutes in defence and midfield.

That leaves, Mata, Schneiderlin, Herrera and Swine's tiger as our firm first choice midfielders. They'll all play plenty of games, likely starting most of them too.
All the top teams does not have an abundance of midfielder. Barcelona has only Iniesta, Busquit, and Rakitic, while the rest are academy. Real Madrid has khedira, Modric, kroos and few others who are barely recognizable. Chelsea has Matic, Ramieres, Fabregas and Mikel. Not that much quality. Munich has Thiago, Javier Martinez, Xavi Alonso, and few others, but that does not come close our midfield number. Only Arsenal I can say has as much an overflow in quality midfielder then us.

Only Carrick, Herrera and Blind are central midfielders. Fellini and Mata are second strikers/attacking midfielders/wide attackers (in Mata's case sometimes). There is not enough.
If we play a midfield three, Fellaini and mata will count as central midfielder. More so Fellaini then Mata, who might occupy a wide right role.

Are you serious mate? Last season we only had around 40-45 games and we badly struggled in midfield. We had to play Rooney there (and consequently suffered upfront), even Valencia played there once or twice. I know we had injury issues beyond every imagination, but this season we'll have the league, Cups (we can't do worse than last year surely), Europe to contend with, so 50 games minimum. Furthermore, LVG definitely moves to a 4-3-3 system and we need three real midfielders in there. I think one more signing in CM is definitely required to have us compete on all fronts.
We had to play Rooney there to shoehorn our strikers, not for the reason you mentioned.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Sorry, we should all ignore any potential injury/fitness related issues because he's a big name muppet signing. I mean, it worked out so well when we all did that with Falcao, what could possibly go wrong?...
I was looking at some of the earlier posts in the other Schwein thread and apparently last season he missed the start due to being put on rest by the club doctor after the World Cup. he was fine until march where he got kicked in his ankle and was then rested for 2 matches and the rest of the missed time was for flu

It doesn't sound that bad tbh

Xivon

Supports
Bayern Munich
Very happy for Schweinsteiger. He has always said he wants the abroad experience. Also the way Pep brought in the even older Alonso and instantly gave him Schweinsteiger's role at Bayern is a ridiculous treatment to a man who should be treated like a legend for club and country.
Schweini was injured during the start of the season.

I don't get the blame Bayern gets, to be honest. Schweinsteiger wanted to leave and I don't see anything wrong with Bayern granting him that wish. Rummenigge and Sammer both said that they wanted to keep him, but I guess some people only see what they want to see.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He can do much better than this semi-try (ist that even a word) of a banter. :lol:

Couldn't be happier with Schweinsteiger, finally we have great player in the middle of the park again (although fair play to Carrick, he's been outstanding player). Our strikers will love him and he knows LVG tactics inside out, have a feeling him and Herrera could develop really good partnership.

Now for defence to strenghten (CB), De Gea situation to resolve, and new striker brough in the mix to provide some competition for Rooney and this United team will have all qualities to be great again.

Ralph1386

There is no downside at all to this signing, only if we didn't sign Schneiderlin, but by all accounts we're still going ahead with that too.
If I was Schneiderlin and I saw that Schweinsteiger was joining us, I would want to join United even more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we play a midfield three, Fellaini and mata will count as central midfielder. More so Fellaini then Mata, who might occupy a wide right role.
Schweinsteiger has no impact on the third most attacking of the central three. He only affects the other two and I can't see mata or fellaini being even considered in those positions barring injuries. Herrera, Blind, Carrick and Schweinsteiger. You need at least 4 for 2 positions IMO given Carrick is 34. And you never know, if the manager moves someone else on, or decides blind is a left back, then schneiderlin has a place too.

Status
Not open for further replies.