Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We could have potentially been up there with Chelsea had we found a solution to Carrick last season. The club are addressing this problem.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
So he's getting paid a little more than Young and he's been signed for €10m. Getting paid less than Ballack was over half a decade ago. That's cheap in my book. Can't think why someone would want to paint that as expensive but hey-ho.
Exactly :lol: Matching Ashley Young's wages, jesus. We have just freed up around 600k a week if reports are to be believed with RVP, Nani and Falcao gone yet paying a proven world class world cup winner a similar amount to Ashley Young is a bad deal for some.

Mali_Zeus

All of those players are ones who were expected to go straight into the first team and perform. Whilst you argue that its not like we have only been signing 30 year olds, I will similarly argue that we havent been signing teenagers.
Ultimately time will be the best judge, I am happy to give LVG the benefit of the doubt because he has a good track record for developing young players, but situations like Welbeck, Januzaj and Rafael do concern me.

There were definitely some concerns with Falcao - I was one of the critics of that deal as well - but the overall feeling on here was one of "Its Radamel fecking Falcao!!!!!11" in my opinion. Still, what is the caf without its muppetry eh? ;)
We havent been signing teenagers but young players nevertheless or in their prime. It doesnt have to be black and white, teenagers or 30 +.

Januzaj, we are yet to see but Rafael and Welbeck - Rafael is injury prone and Welbeck isnt good enough and his future career will prove that.

gza the genius

Yea, the Falcao comparison is a strange one.
For me, the Falcao comparisons have nothing to do with money and more to do with previously world class players coming to us at an older age coming off a season or two of injury problems and what sort of impact they'll be able to have on the team at this stage.

At least with Schweinsteiger we can be pretty sure that when he does play he'll still play well as seen last season.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Exactly :lol: Matching Ashley Young's wages, jesus. We have just freed up around 600k a week if reports are to be believed with RVP, Nani and Falcao gone yet paying a proven world class world cup winner a similar amount to Ashley Young is a bad deal for some.
We should double Youngs wages so it seems a better deal.

LilRicky

So he's getting paid a little more than Young and he's been signed for €10m. Getting paid less than Ballack was over half a decade ago. That's cheap in my book. Can't think why someone would want to paint that as expensive but hey-ho.
People (myself included btw) won't give a rats arse about the fees involved if he is successful. However on the chance that he continues to have injuries like he has done in the last two seasons and can't find form in the PL then of course people will complain and bring up the fee and comparisons to Falcao will obviously be put out there.

I agree with @Walrus in that we really shouldn't be going into this with blind faith, all transfers of course have risk, the risk increases when the player is starting to age and has had a couple of concerning injuries of late.

LilRicky

munich newspapers have "Highlights from 17 years Schweinsteiger at Bayern" articles on their websites. Done deal. Congrats to you folks, hate to see him go.
Link?

Edit: sorry read that again, thought you said Bayern website! :lol:

Orton

People (myself included btw) won't give a rats arse about the fees involved if he is successful. However on the chance that he continues to have injuries like he has done in the last two seasons and can't find form in the PL then of course people will complain and bring up the fee and comparisons to Falcao will obviously be put out there.

I agree with @Walrus in that we really shouldn't be going into this with blind faith, all transfers of course have risk, the risk increases when the player is starting to age and has had a couple of concerning injuries of late.
Would you have preferred Milner? Similar wages, Similar positions, similar age, the ever important PL experience...

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
We havent been signing teenagers but young players nevertheless or in their prime. It doesnt have to be black and white, teenagers or 30 +.

Januzaj, we are yet to see but Rafael and Welbeck - Rafael is injury prone and Welbeck isnt good enough and his future career will prove that.
It definitely isnt black and white, I was just pointing out that citing our other signings as proof of a long-term vision may still be wide of the mark.

@LilRicky has summised it pretty well - its not a case of being completely against this signing so much as there being several reasonable doubts. The blind optimism and "Its Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger!!" attitude is a poor one; its not Schweinsteiger five years ago, its Schweinsteiger at 31 (in a few weeks) with a poor injury record. This place just needs a bit of perspective at times.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
LVG's been under extreme pressure from the very start to achieve CL football and more, so who can blame him if, for what is merely a three-year reign, he opts for ready-made stars rather than the likes of Schneiderlin? Emperor Ming Mourinho does this sort of thing all the time, and few complain about his immediate success at the expense of potential success.

LilRicky

Would you have preferred Milner? Similar wages, Similar positions, similar age, the ever important PL experience...

Milner is not on £200k per week! :lol: He took a pay cut to sign for Liverpool and is said to be on approx £125k pw.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Milner is not on £200k per week! :lol: He took a pay cut to sign for Liverpool and is said to be on approx £125k pw.
Milner is massively underrated on here anyway. I recall there being some clamour for us to sign him from Villa. Obviously once he joined City though, his caf-reputation instantly fell from "decent, fairly young English player" to "shite, overpaid journeyman, do not want".

Mali_Zeus

It definitely isnt black and white, I was just pointing out that citing our other signings as proof of a long-term vision may still be wide of the mark.

@LilRicky has summised it pretty well - its not a case of being completely against this signing so much as there being several reasonable doubts. The blind optimism and "Its Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger!!" attitude is a poor one; its not Schweinsteiger five years ago, its Schweinsteiger at 31 (in a few weeks) with a poor injury record. This place just needs a bit of perspective at times.
We're going in circles, how is long term vision wide of the mark if we're signing mostly young players.

NK86

I don't understand one particular sentiment on here. It is fine if you don't rate him or think he is over the hill, but to say that alone he is a bad transfer but if Schneiderlin also comes, then it is a good transfer? How does that make sense?

Either you think it is a good transfer, or you don't. How does getting Schneiderlin have any bearing on how you rate this transfer?

kotha

What's the guarantee that after we develop a young player for 3 years they won't get tempted by Madrid or Barca? 3 years is a long time in modern football,it isn't a short gap measure..

Looking at the reports,it seems our deal for Schneiderlin isn't based on him either.. Bring on the presentation of the player,never thought I would see Schweinsteiger in a United shirt..

Last edited:

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Liam Miller, Kleberson, the Djemba twins, Alan Smith - those were the days. :drool:

feck me how did we get by in those years? :lol:
Makes Fergies achievements even more impressive the fact we had some dross in our squads at the time, where as Mourinho never has

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My point has never been that "players become great just by playing" - it has been that there is a chicken-and-egg situation with regard to playing someone, and seeing if they are good enough. My view is that you have to play someone to see if they are good enough (assuming within reason, that they are not a clear cut case one way or another), and I have listed several examples of times recently that we have failed to do that. It is interesting that you list Welbeck as a spectacular failure when few could argue that he would have done a better job for us last season than RVP or Falcao, given the gametime they had. It was that preference to buy in and favour players in their peak (supposedly) over developing a younger player who had (and still has) a lot of potential that is symptomatic of the issues I am describing. Even if you dont rate Welbeck, he is good enough for a place in our squad and always has been.

Its odd that you also use Cleverley's time at Villa to support your argument when in fact he has been one of their best players. Does that mean that he was automatically good enough for United? Of course not, but similarly saying that 'his time at Villa has proven me wrong' is clearly ridiculous, since he did not actually do badly at Villa at all, and has now secured a move to Everton - again, this very much proves that he could have continued as a squad player for us if nothing else.
Well yeah it proves that he wasn't good enough. Two questions: Would you want us to sign Tom Cleverley now? And you think we should have started Cleverley more over Scholes because he's good enough... to be a squad player?

NK86

We're going in circles, how is long term vision wide of the mark if we're signing mostly young players.
Because we are not buying "teenagers" anymore as someone pointed out earlier. Cannot believe I actually read that on here.

You point out to people that their logic is not supported by facts and they start finding other faults.

Orton

What's the guarantee that after we develop a young player for 3 years they won't get tempted by Madrid or Barca? 3 years is a long time in modern football,it isn't a short gap measure..

Looking at the reports,it seems our deal for Schneiderlin isn't basted on him either.. Bring on the presentation of the player,never thought I would see Schweinsteiger in a United shirt..
Exactly, people seem to think if we sign a young player that's him tied down to United for 10 years plus... They will be if they turn out to be average and get paid loads and offered new deals from us because nobody else will want them but things change all the time in football. It's not a computer game where you build a dream team and don't sell anyone.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
You are right that we are going in circles, and I have a bit of a headache from this thread anyway at this point.

I define a big part of "long term vision" to be either developing or purchasing young players (by which I mean maybe 18-21, not 25ish) who will form the core of the team for years to come. Obviously not every single signing that we make should fall into that category, but similarly I can very rarely get on board with signing 30+ players as short term fixes to problems that arguably dont even exist.

If Carrick didnt exist, or was sold, then I could understand a short term signing to plug the gap in midfield. As things are, I dont really think that we should be 'adding depth' with players such as Schweinsteiger.

Mali_Zeus

Because we are not buying "teenagers" anymore as someone pointed out earlier. Cannot believe I actually read that on here.

You point out to people that their logic is not supported by facts and they start finding other faults.
Exactly.
I understand some people are concerned about the age and injuries but when their arguments are poor I need to point that out.
Kag said it - in last 3 years we bought 2 players over the age of 30, Valdes and Schweini, yet people think LVG doesnt think long term..

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
LVG's been under extreme pressure from the very start to achieve CL football and more, so who can blame him if, for what is merely a three-year reign, he opts for ready-made stars rather than the likes of Schneiderlin? Emperor Ming Mourinho does this sort of thing all the time, and few complain about his immediate success at the expense of potential success.
I dont think anyone is disputing that Steve, but Bastian alone isnt enough if LVG wants to clean up before he departs.

Schneiderlin is a must signing & most of us would have him over Schweinsteiger all day everyday, because he represents the future & he's top class, but just happens to play for a lower tier club..

Status
Not open for further replies.