Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Might also add that you can lead without playing in every game. It´s not just their natural skill that sets apart the greatest from the rest. Extra shifts after normal practice. Set an example. Look at all the tennis players that hire former all-time greats basically to have a chat about pressure in big moments,how to prepare for it and deal with it. You can´t talk about what the pressure of playing in a World Cup or Champions League final feels like, if you have never been to one.

Mali_Zeus

If you are replacing the spine of your team every 3 years you will never achieve any sort of consistent success in my opinion. I made a thread about this a while back called "Great teams are built, not bought".

The thing is, I guess I think that we already have a player in the squad who ticks virtually all the same boxes that Schweinsteiger does - Michael Carrick. He had injuries last year but that has not been the norm for him. He is an experienced head, he plays largely the same position and is regarded as one of the best in that position.

If we go by the assumption that we are signing Schneiderlin, then that would have put us with Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Fellaini with Blind as backup. I dont see the need to add in a Schweinsteiger on top of that, he essentially has the same role in the squad as Carrick, who I am confident will give us at least another couple of good years anyway.
What happens then if Carrick is injured?

The spine of our team is very young.
@Kag nailed it with his post.
As I said its not that we've been buying old, used veterans who have nothing to prove anymore.
Just 2 players over the age of 30.
Two.

@Jerch explained it very well too.

MDFC Manager

I think all the doubters, specifically those who are concerned about United buying success, need to remember that LVG has 2 years left on his contract and will bring in whomever he feels gives him a chance of winning. If Schweini is that man, who are we to argue?
True, but regardless, the club needs short term success as our business model is increasingly dependent on being regularly successful.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Let's be perfectly clear here. It's a fecking magnificent signing.

Who gives a shit about the wages? It looks like he'll be getting around 140k a week which is far less than other, much less effective players. It's also very much a signing Fergie would have made for such quality.

Blanc, Larsson and Van Persie prove that Fergie wasn't averse to taking a punt on huge quality and experience. Sir Alex was also always talking about having a blend of youth and experience. There's no way he'd be happy with the current imbalance of age and caps in our squad.

I'd agree with anyone who says they'll be upset if we don't bring in Schneiderlin because I think he is exactly the signing we need. But that doesn't take from the fact this is a brilliant capture for us.
Would have to disagree about a Fergie type signing, he had a serious man-crush on Blanc dating back several years prior, Larsson was almost a freebie 6month type for peanuts, so that leaves RvP as really the only main exception to the rule over his 20+ odd year reign, and we got... 1 good year out of RvP and now disgarding him at the age of 31, the same age Bastian Schweinsteiger will be when he takes the field for us for the first time.

Our other *high profile name* signings, Falcao and ADM have both turned out to be appalling purchases when comparing outlay + wages, thats some food for thought, even if there are many positives in Bastian's case, such as possessing prior knowledge of LvG's system.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Amazed how any United fan could be anything but delighted with this signing.

If a player like Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger doesn't unite fans then it just goes to show that you can't please everyone all of the time.

Sad Chris

Germany are an hour ahead of us, so are Bayern presenting their team at 1 p.m. their time?
Team and trophies will be presented at 3pm German time, so 2pm GMT according to Bayern's official website.

RedStarUnited

Might also add that you can lead without playing in every game. It´s not just their natural skill that sets apart the greatest from the rest. Extra shifts after normal practice. Set an example. Look at all the tennis players that hire former all-time greats basically to have a chat about pressure in big moments,how to prepare for it and deal with it. You can´t talk about what the pressure of playing in a World Cup or Champions League final feels like, if you have never been to one.
Should have kept Anderson then, he has 3 CL finals experience lol. I know what you mean.

darioterios

now many people are ignoring the elephant in the room. If there's a person who claims to understand, trust and utilize Bastian in the best way possible, Aloysius Paulus Maria van Gaal is the one who has every right to challenge that claim.

Leg-End

If a player like Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger doesn't unite fans then it just goes to show that you can't please everyone all of the time.
Some fans want us to prioritise the average age of the squad over its ability to actually win things seemingly. LVG buys one player over the age of 30 and suddenly the scaremongering starts about long term potential.

Mali_Zeus

Would have to disagree about a Fergie type signing, he had a serious man-crush on Blanc dating back several years prior, Larsson was almost a freebie 6month type for peanuts, so that leaves RvP as really the only main exception to the rule over his 20+ odd year reign, and we got... 1 good year out of RvP and now disgarding him at the age of 31, the same age Bastian Schweinsteiger will be when he takes the field for us for the first time.

Our other *high profile name* signings, Falcao and ADM have both turned out to be appalling purchases when comparing outlay + wages, thats some food for thought, even if there are many positives in Bastian's case, such as possessing prior knowledge of LvG's system.
Why all the panic cause of one buy over 30 years?

Fergie made a lot of mistakes in his purchases too, esp in his last few years as manager..

Robbie Boy

It's bizarre. This place is divisive for the absolute sake of it at times.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most of the posters tend to judge posts as pro and anti arguments.

I am happy if we get Bastian. He's one of the finest midfielders in the world, he knows LVG's tactics inside out and he's the leader we need. We've got too many boy scouts in midfield and I had been saying that for quite some time. Bastian will give composure and steel in midfield and his leadership will solidify both defense and midfield which is crucial considering that DDG will probably leave this summer.

Having said that, he'll be 31 soon and he had been pretty unlucky with injuries in the past few years. Also with Carrick being 33 and Bastian being 31 we would be at risk of losing our best midfielders in 1-3 years time. That will hit us hard especially since we would probably be busy replacing LVG and probably Rooney too while at it.

Id say lets get him however we need to add more staff with him. For example Schneiderlin would be perfect for us. A 3 men CM wouldn't be too overcrowded with Schneiderlin, Bastian, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini and Blind in it especially if DM is moved in the RF.

Jagga7

I'm a bit weary of the signing. He's been a great player but older players from foreign leagues who come into the EPL rarely do well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Exactly.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Schweinsteiger is not the most expensive toy Woodward can find. Falcao and ADM were expensive buys but Falcao deal didnt payed out and I'm sure ADM will come good and will prove to be a good buy.
Januzaj is still young, maybe will be loaned to have soem game time.
Evans is not good enough and should be shipped. Rafael is injured too much. And I have no regrets whatsoever about Welbeck, his season in Arsenal proves we were right to sell him. I'm sure Wilson will get his chances.
Neither of them is Pogba's calibre I think.
Januzaj had a great breakthrough season under Moyes, then we bought Di Maria, and now we have bought Depay. Sterling was regarded as a similar prospect a couple of years ago, but he is now being touted for a £50m transfer to City, whilst Januzaj has regressed. I would prefer not to derail the thread too much by discussing all our failed youth prospects, suffice to say that I feel that signings like Di Maria, Falcao and Schweinsteiger create a major obstacle for any youngster trying to break into the first team. It reminds me of when I was trying to get a job when I left Uni in 2008 - but everywhere wanted experience, and all the jobs were snapped up by older, experienced workers who had been made redundant. Again not a perfect analogy, but if we fill our first team squad with galacticos then how are the youngsters meant to break through and sufficiently get a chance to prove that they can make it here?

That is the great question. But a problem you would rather have than not have.
Perhaps. I do think that if you look at a lot of the more successful sides recently (Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, even Liverpool 2 seasons ago) they have all had a settled first choice XI. The mass rotation seems to be something quite specific to United. Its not necessarily a problem, but not really a benefit either.

3 years is plenty. We can't afford another 2 years finishing 4th-7th.

Stam was only here 3 years, RVP probably as well. It's enough time for a big impact.
I guess for me I just dont see how Schweinsteiger is the difference between finishing 4th-7th and not. I have always rated Schweinsteiger but again, he is 31 in August and has quite a physical playstyle (unlike Carrick) which implies that age may be a bigger issue for him. Others in this thread (@Wade3) made points about him being used to a winter break, not being used to the PL etc...

I am aware that I am very much in the minority - but unless Carrick is leaving (which he obviously isnt) then I just dont really see the great value in this signing.

Or we also sign Morgan Schnielderin, which refutes more or less everything you and @Pogue are saying.

It baffles me that we are being criticised, again, for some kind of short term acquisition strategy when we've just binned Van Persie. We also binned Falcao, who turned out to be a sensible no win-no fee loan gamble, (the much-loved Chelsea are now taking a punt on him even after us).

Last summer we signed the best young defender in the country, as well as other players like Rojo, Blind and Herrera who are entering their prime. And so far this summer we've signed a very exciting winger in Depay, the very essence of Ferguson strategy, as well as a young right back entering his prime.

In over two years since Ferguson retired we've signed one player aged 30+. That's Victor Valdes, a goalkeeper. Arsenal have quite rightly been praised only a few weeks ago for similar practice.

If we sign Schweinsteiger then that's one outfield player above 30 out of TEN first team arrivals under the new regime. Tell me, where is the long term thinking in that?

Basically, we're no longer looking to bring in cheap rubbish like we started to under Ferguson. Plus, the notion that you buy young players to "take over" from more experienced ones has comprehensively failed here at United. Players learn nothing by fecking about on a bench. They either replace the older players or they don't, otherwise you're left with a rotten situation in that talented young players lose out at the expense of pandering to geriatrics.

Nani, Anderson, Smalling, Jones. All bought with intention of "taking over." Nani did well, Anderson failed and the jury is still out on the latter pair. It's risky strategy, and doesn't guarantee long term success anything like people think.
You make some good points, but the bolded area in particular is pretty much supporting what I am saying - that the situation we have had over the last 5+ years has often been one where our so-called talented youngsters have not been given chances in the first team due to these 'geriatrics'. Even the much maligned Cleverley showed potential, but we preferred to play Giggs and Scholes practically into their 40's. Fabio was meant to be the more talented twin, but he couldnt get a sniff in with a 30+ year old Evra. Wilson couldnt get gametime ahead of RVP and Falcao for most of last season...

Januzaj is the most prominent example as he is the player who did get a chance in the first team (under bloody Moyes, no less) and showed what he could do. Every year we have people waxing lyrical about some of the prospects in the youth team, but we never see them. Lets face it, Blackett and McNair weren't even the highest rated prospects, and you can argue they only got gametime last season due to injuries initially - but McNair played his way into contention, which again is fundamentally the point I am making: that young players need opportunities in the first team before we can judge whether they are good enough or not, and ultimately that buying players like a 31 year old Schweinsteiger will not allow that.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Why all the panic cause of one buy over 30 years?

Fergie made a lot of mistakes in his purchases too, esp in his last few years as manager..
It's not so much panic, it's a combination of the emphasis on wages with his age that's unsettling, if you'd asked 4 years ago that we'd get him, I would be dribbling all over my keyboard as much as anyone here, just now at this stage, there's room for a small amount of concern, that's all.
He may well give us 2-3 good years of service, I'd be happy to be wrong and hold my hands up.

diarm

Would have to disagree about a Fergie type signing, he had a serious man-crush on Blanc dating back several years prior, Larsson was almost a freebie 6month type for peanuts, so that leaves RvP as really the only main exception to the rule over his 20+ odd reign, and we got... 1 good year out of RvP and now disgarding him at the age of 31, the same age Bastian Schweinsteiger will be when he takes the field for us for the first time.

Poor post.

Your argument about why Fergie wouldn't make the signing doesn't add up. How is Fergie having "a man crush" on Blanc any different to Van Gaal having history with, and great respect for Schweinsteiger? How does the fact that Van Persie is leaving this year change the fact that Fergie signed him?

Neither Falcao or Di Maria were "appalling purchases". Falcao because we very shrewdly didn't sign him. He was a world class player coming off an injury. We weren't sure if he would recover so we minimised our risk with a loan. It didn't work out so we turned down the option to buy. That's great business all round in my book. Di Maria is still a United player. He started the season well and then struggled as he came to terms with a new country, a new league and some very new tactics. To write him off as a terrible buy is massively premature.

Mali_Zeus

It's not so much panic, it's a combination of the emphasis on wages with his age that's unsettling, if you'd asked 4 years ago that we'd get him, I would be dribbling all over my keyboard as much as anyone here, just now at this stage, there's room for a small amount of concern, that's all.
He may well give us 2-3 good years of service, I'd be happy to be wrong and hold my hands up.
His wages are not that huge.
Anyway I dont really care about his wage. Dont understand why people do care in any case.
If its not astronomical of course.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Januzaj is the most prominent example as he is the player who did get a chance in the first team (under bloody Moyes, no less) and showed what he could do. Every year we have people waxing lyrical about some of the prospects in the youth team, but we never see them. Lets face it, Blackett and McNair weren't even the highest rated prospects, and you can argue they only got gametime last season due to injuries initially - but McNair played his way into contention, which again is fundamentally the point I am making: that young players need opportunities in the first team before we can judge whether they are good enough or not, and ultimately that buying players like a 31 year old Schweinsteiger will not allow that.
I guess if there is one thing you can trust LVG with, it is his ability to recognize and utilize young talent. If he thinks there is a 20 year old player X that is as good as 28 year old player Y, the 20 year old will get his opportunities.

Mali_Zeus

Januzaj had a great breakthrough season under Moyes, then we bought Di Maria, and now we have bought Depay. Sterling was regarded as a similar prospect a couple of years ago, but he is now being touted for a £50m transfer to City, whilst Januzaj has regressed. I would prefer not to derail the thread too much by discussing all our failed youth prospects, suffice to say that I feel that signings like Di Maria, Falcao and Schweinsteiger create a major obstacle for any youngster trying to break into the first team. It reminds me of when I was trying to get a job when I left Uni in 2008 - but everywhere wanted experience, and all the jobs were snapped up by older, experienced workers who had been made redundant. Again not a perfect analogy, but if we fill our first team squad with galacticos then how are the youngsters meant to break through and sufficiently get a chance to prove that they can make it here?
Well Januzaj yes, we're yet to see how much game time he'll get. but as for midfield position, one which Schweinsteiger will occupy we dont have any youngsters ready to burst into scene. You yourself have said it I think.

And you dont see a point in buying him cause we can get a few more years out of Carrick.
But as I asked, what happens if Carrick is injured.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm shocked at how many are seemingly against this transfer. On form he is still one of the best midfielders in world football, and certainly an upgrade in Carrick (as much as I love him).

£15m is probably slightly over what we should be paying considering he is in the last year of his contract, but seriously, who cares.

RedStarUnited

The main difference between this and Falcao for me is, We are signing Bastian in the first week of the transfer window. Falcao seemed to me like a last minute deal, Mendes kind of went 'Hey I got Falcao, you guys fancy him?' on the last day of transfer and we said why not.

Perhaps. I do think that if you look at a lot of the more successful sides recently (Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, even Liverpool 2 seasons ago) they have all had a settled first choice XI. The mass rotation seems to be something quite specific to United. Its not necessarily a problem, but not really a benefit either.
Injuries, those teams you said there can guarantee around 8 of their first team XI will always be available. Through luck or bad preparation, we have had horrible injuries recently. LVG showed last year though, when the winning formula clicked, he stuck with it. Our most expensive and probably most talented player was sitting on the bench.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Won't we run into the same problem that Pep had pairing him with Alonso? I think it should be an 'either or' between the two, and if we bring Schneidi in then he partners one if them.
Dont think so, Schweini has the potential to be more forward minded and he's done that in the past. Pep's a little bit more obsessed with control of the match, think Schweini could play box to box / deep lying playmaker.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Short term accusations would be justified if we were spending close to record money on him, but as we are not if he gives us 2-3 years and we win a PL/CL then what's not to like?
2-3 years is a very long time in football. 2 years ago Barca lost 7-0 against Bayern, 2 years later they win the treble.
We'll probably have a new manager in 2-3 years anyway who can then buy a couple of his preferred players if needed. Good squad management is building a team long term as well as being flexible and capable of competing at present.

The only scenario where this could be seen as a negative signing would be if because of him we give up on Morgan. Otherwise there's absolutely no negative here.
Comparisons with Falcao are laughable. Among all other differences a year ago Falcao rushed to get fit for the WC (which had a negative influence on his later recovery) and missed it anyway, while Schweinsteiger bossed 120 minutes of the WC final while being fouled again and again by some Argentinian thugs.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Except our whole team is young or at the right age so you're completely wrong on this one.

We have a young left back, a right back at a good age, all three centre backs are fairly young, Herrera and blind are at a good age, delay is young, Di Maria is in his prime, mata in his prime, januzaj is young. Also, young himself is young. You act as if half our squad is full of 30 yer olds that need replacing soon.
I was responding to the argument that you and others made that if we get 2-3 years out of a signing then that is good enough.
My argument with Schweinsteiger particularly is that I just dont see what he adds to the squad that we dont already have, apart from depth - and I would rather we achieve depth through the introduction or purchase of promising youngsters than elder statesmen.

I think Herrera and Schneiderlin would be fixtures in a 3 man midfield with Carrick and Schweinsteiger sharing the third spot. Blind will share left back duties with Shaw and cover midfield during an injury crisis.

I don't think Di Maria has the midfield game for the prem, he'll be used exclusively as a wide attacker and as much as Fellaini was effective for us when we needed him last year, if I'm brutally honest, we cannot expect to be a side competing at the top of European football if we're reliant on his... charms.
My opinions on Fellaini are pretty well known at this stage I think. Personally I see Herrera as a #8, not a #10, which is perhaps why my views on our midfield balance are different to most. Herrera can play the more advanced role in a midfield three, but I feel it wastes a lot of his potential when in fact I think he has all the tools to be a fantastic #8, and I think a great #8 is far harder to find than a #10, so that is where he should play.

If Herrera is to be used at #10 then so be it, obviously that is up to LVG, and if that is the case then it is reasonable to suggest that Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick can compete for the two holding roles, but I felt that our midfield last season had a fantastic balance and shape to it, with Carrick in the holding role and Herrera/Fellaini both operating as advanced box to box players.

Thinking about it and based on this signing and potentially Schneiderlin, it does look as though Van Gaal wants to move more towards a 4-2-3-1 with two holding players and one more advanced, in which case this signing makes more sense. I just think it would be a shame to change a system which I thought looked so promising.

What happens then if Carrick is injured?

The spine of our team is very young.
@Kag nailed it with his post.
As I said its not that we've been buying old, used veterans who have nothing to prove anymore.
Just 2 players over the age of 30.
Two.

@Jerch explained it very well too.
Again, its not about numbers but simply what does Schweinsteiger add to the squad that Carrick doesnt already provide?
The best case scenario is Schweinsteiger gives us 2-3 good years, but that is the best case and is assuming that he does not physically decline, that he adapts perfectly to the PL, that he doesnt pick up injuries etc...

ChaddyP

@Pogue Mahone gets it.

My main concern is that at best Schweinsteiger is a short term solution - he is 31 in August. Lets assume he gives us two or three fantastic years, then what? We are in the market again.
At worst we have another Falcao sitaution, and as a club we look rather silly to boot. The blind optimism in this thread just goes to show that some folk clearly didnt learn anything from last season, that signing big name galacticos is not a guarantee of success.

I would rather we go after a younger player who can compete with Carrick, and take over from him in a couple of years time. It is part of a bigger trend we are seeing in the post-Fergie Era and I dont like the short term attitude to transfers that LVG and Woody appear to be taking. In some instances, it reminds me of Mourinho at his previous clubs, buying up all the top talent, neglecting youth, winning some trophies but then leaving the team a bit fecked when he buggers off after a few yeras. I hope LVG isnt prioritising his short term success for the sake of his ego, rather than trying to build a team which will be able to compete for years to come.

That's such an unbelievably unfair statement. Van gaal has so much young and up coming talent it's frightening. He's signed Shaw a teenager, Herrera, Rojo, Blind di Maria all in their mid 20s. Memphis is 21. Darmian is 25. We have probably the youngest team in the league thanks to lvg. Say what you want about BS signing but don't tell me lvg and Woodward have some galatacos hard on and stop makin it seem like we are signing an entire first 11 of past it stars. That's just simply not true

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You make some good points, but the bolded area in particular is pretty much supporting what I am saying - that the situation we have had over the last 5+ years has often been one where our so-called talented youngsters have not been given chances in the first team due to these 'geriatrics'. Even the much maligned Cleverley showed potential, but we preferred to play Giggs and Scholes practically into their 40's. Fabio was meant to be the more talented twin, but he couldnt get a sniff in with a 30+ year old Evra. Wilson couldnt get gametime ahead of RVP and Falcao for most of last season...
Again completely wrong.

The problem hasn't been giving players not good enough less chances. It's been not strengthening he's squad.

Cleverley simply wasn't good enough. If you think the chances we gave him were sufficient I don't know which player you watches. Scholes playing ahead of him wasn't the obstacle. His performances were.

Wilson? Really? He looked completely out of place last season. He has a lot of work to do.

Fabio has done squat so far in his career not even impressing at QPR so I'm not sure what that's all about.

This is probably the first time I'm hearing that our issue is not giving young players a chance. Very strange.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Poor post.

Your argument about why Fergie wouldn't make the signing doesn't add up. How is Fergie having "a man crush" on Blanc any different to Van Gaal having history with, and great respect for Schweinsteiger? How does the fact that Van Persie is leaving this year change the fact that Fergie signed him?

Neither Falcao or Di Maria were "appalling purchases". Falcao because we very shrewdly didn't sign him. He was a world class player coming off an injury. We weren't sure if he would recover so we minimised our risk with a loan. It didn't work out so we turned down the option to buy. That's great business all round in my book. Di Maria is still a United player. He started the season well and then struggled as he came to terms with a new country, a new league and some very new tactics. To write him off as a terrible buy is massively premature.

Because Sir Alex tried to sign Blanc several times before, it was only at the end, Blanc agreed, past the age of 30, and did horribly I may add.
I agreed Sir Alex made the RvP signing, but I point out it was the exception to the rule, rather than anything of the norm, which is basically what you're saying in regards to going for older players for big fees/wages, in an instant fix.

Falcao was an appalling bit of business yes, his loan fee and his 200k+ a week wages cost us up to 15mill in total for his 1 year at the club.
Di Maria if he doesn't come good for us, will be lauded as one of the biggest, if not the biggest flop in Premier League history given the 60mill outlay, if he continues to perform as poorly as he did over the last 6months of the season, obviously I hope his form gets back on track.

My point is, on signing high profile players for big fees/wages, so far, we've seen questionable results.

comlag

Fantastic signing if it happens. Short term yes but it's just what we need. Haven't had a proper midfielder for ages and I include Carrick in that statement.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm shocked at how many are seemingly against this transfer. On form he is still one of the best midfielders in world football, and certainly an upgrade in Carrick (as much as I love him).

£15m is probably slightly over what we should be paying considering he is in the last year of his contract, but seriously, who cares.
He'll bring lots of leadership to the dressing room as well, something we've been sorely lacking since the old guard left.

Mali_Zeus

Again, its not about numbers but simply what does Schweinsteiger add to the squad that Carrick doesnt already provide?
The best case scenario is Schweinsteiger gives us 2-3 good years, but that is the best case and is assuming that he does not physically decline, that he adapts perfectly to the PL, that he doesnt pick up injuries etc...
He adds that he can jump in instead of Carrick when Carrick is injured and he can play nr. 8 too. Not to mention leadership, winning mentality and so on..

Status
Not open for further replies.