BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Two years ago think most people here assumed Moyes was going nowhere because our board are clueless and they'd back the manager because that's what United are supposed to so, yada yada yada. Not many were sure he'd be sacked. He was.
Keeping two managers months overdue rather than acting discisive and salvaging a season isn't the greatest argument against incompetence though.

This season didn't have to turn out this badly. Especially considering where we were in December. Our board are just reactive idiots. Bayern and Barca were more proactive when they needed to with him.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think it was all sorted out back in Dec/Jan..
LVG was given an 'incentive' to stay on till the end of the season, and in the meantime we've been lining up the deal for JM to replace him..
LVG has been a different animal since then, in knowing that the baton would be passed over whatever the outcome.

Our board has kept tight lipped on the whole saga, which has only added lots of fuel to the rumor mill..
The whole story of there being personel in the upper levels of the club that are against JM is in my opinion a 'red herring'.

The more I look at it from all the angles available to me, the only conclusion I can come up with is that we'll have JM as our next manager..

I personally am not a great fan of JM, however where we are at right now, I really think it'll match made in heaven!
A 'we need eachother' dynamic will bring out the very best in both sides of the equation.. And I think JM will be with us a good deal of time.
Exactly, 100% agreement

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think it was all sorted out back in Dec/Jan..
LVG was given an 'incentive' to stay on till the end of the season, and in the meantime we've been lining up the deal for JM to replace him..
LVG has been a different animal since then, in knowing that the baton would be passed over whatever the outcome.

Our board has kept tight lipped on the whole saga, which has only added lots of fuel to the rumor mill..
The whole story of there being personel in the upper levels of the club that are against JM is in my opinion a 'red herring'.

The more I look at it from all the angles available to me, the only conclusion I can come up with is that we'll have JM as our next manager..

I personally am not a great fan of JM, however where we are at right now, I really think it'll match made in heaven!
A 'we need eachother' dynamic will bring out the very best in both sides of the equation.. And I think JM will be with us a good deal of time.
I agree with this.

Maybe not necessarily Dec/Jan but closer to Feb/March, but looking at how City handled their announcement of their manager and how it affected their squad we've chosen not to do the same which I think is the best course of action. But I think everything has been done and agreed verbally, but won't be official until after the FA Cup.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No businessman would ever decide to do what? Give as much time and leeway as possible to see if they could justify a business decision of theirs? If this isn't the case, then why hasn't Woodward pulled the plug on LvG yet?

Well, except if we got 4th AND a FA Cup win - that could well have made Woodward think that he could justify this season as "satisfactory" to the Board. I think Woodward mentioned a while ago that our minimum target in the league is supposed to be 3rd. Now if we don't achieve 3rd place, think 4th place plus a trophy could have salvaged something for him.
We're still playing in the FA Cup Final and mathematically still have the chance to get top 4 (although we most likely blew our chance). Nevertheless, it is a whole different scenario than under Moyes. However, I believe we have signed a pre-contract with Mourinho which will lead into a proper contract after our last game of this season

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Keeping two managers months overdue rather than acting discisive and salvaging a season isn't the greatest argument against incompetence though.

This season didn't have to turn out this badly. Especially considering where we were in December. Our board are just reactive idiots. Bayern and Barca were more proactive when they needed to with him.
But that is not always that easy. You also have to give managers time through difficult times. It might be easy to say we should have sacked him in hindsight but then again, every manager is going through a difficult time. Under LVG we were no. 1 at one point this season

Stacks

But that is not always that easy. You also have to give managers time through difficult times. It might be easy to say we should have sacked him in hindsight but then again, every manager is going through a difficult time. Under LVG we were no. 1 at one point this season
We were never the best team in the division. We may have been top for mere days. Leicester have been top for months. we had 3 0-0's in a row and were incapable of scoring 1st half goals at Old Trafford. Our champions league campaign was shit from day one. few of our players even performed this season. It is only a matter of time before shit catches up with you

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We're still playing in the FA Cup Final and mathematically still have the chance to get top 4 (although we most likely blew our chance). Nevertheless, it is a whole different scenario than under Moyes. However, I believe we have signed a pre-contract with Mourinho which will lead into a proper contract after our last game of this season
On the mourinho bit - I sure hope so. And I hope it wasn't/isn't a case of Woodward just hedging his bets, with mourinho as a contingency, should we miss out on top 4.

But we have most likely missed out on top 4 now, so I just can't see van Gaal staying because let's face it - we used the same measurement to get rid of Moyes.

Yeah I think that is what's happening. Woodward very clearly does not want to sack Van Gaal because he really should have gone at Xmas and then several times after that. At any other big club he would be gone by now but Woodward refused to act. If we'd scraped 4th spot and won the Cup I think that would have at least given Woodward something to cling to in avoiding getting rid.

As it is with top 4 virtually gone I think there's nothing that can stop the inevitable. He has to get rid.
Yeah that's my thinking as well. Let's hope it happens.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yes,but they say those who forget history are doomed to repeat it .

Looking simply at Van Gaal's managerial career,especially at the bigger clubs,the warnings were blaring out. When things get bad with him,he reverts to type,tries out weird tactics and results tend to tank.

There is sacking managers the way Real and Chelsea do. That's hasty and counterproductive. However at 1.5 years,with very little progress under Van Gaal,that wouldn't have been hasty at all.

I think there is this fan culture that sticking with managers and giving them time is the right way to go. That isn't true. It's doing that with the right manager that is the right thing to do. Van Gaal hasn't been that for most of his tenure here.

Erebus

The problem with this 'we're waiting until 4th isn't possible to sack LVG like we did with Moyes' is that I'm sure I read that the terms of LVG's contract were minimum 4th last season, 3rd this season and challenging for the title next. If that is the case (and I'm happy to be corected if I'm remembering wrong) then he's already missed the achievement needed for this year. Now I accept it's complicated by the FA Cup, but it does raise a problem with simply applying the same as happened with Moyes.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Woodward likes and respects Van Gaal, that's obvious. And I think people need to look at the bigger picture when debating our indecision to sack him earlier in the season.

Van Gaal may very well have been sacked in December, but that awful run of form (results-wise) was somewhat unexpected. The performances had been tedious and, at times, downright terrible, but the results had taken a very sudden tumble. Before that, the results were generally quite good.

Woodward, bearing in mind he works with Van Gaal and clearly has a lot of time for him, was probably, understandably loathe to sack him so quickly.

Rightly or wrongly, our board members still like to present the image that the club give their managers a proper chance. And to be fair, that's what we've done.

Moyes was given one season and was sacked when there was nothing to play for. And the only reason Van Gaal is still here is because we do have something to play for. When the season is over, I fully expect change (Hi, Jose) and it's a plan of action I think we've had in place for months.

In the mean time, I think Woodward came to the conclusion that keeping Van Gaal around to rescue the season was a better bet than handing over the reigns to Giggs or bringing in somebody (who?) fresh from the outside for the sake of a few months. I, for one, agree with that logic.

At least this way we've given the current manager a proper shot, and given the incoming one a full six months of time to do some homework. Of course, if Mourinho doesn't come in all of this is bullshit. But let's wait and see first.
There is another possibility here. Mourinho has had a long association with LVG and from what i can tell likes and respects him as a person. It is possible that Mourinho hasnt pushed the issue because he didnt want to be seen as stabbing a man he has known and respected a long time in the back.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The problem with this 'we're waiting until 4th isn't possible to sack LVG like we did with Moyes'
Problem this time is they won't do anything until after the FA Cup final.

Erebus

There is another possibility here. Mourinho has had a long association with LVG and from what i can tell likes and respects him as a person. It is possible that Mourinho hasnt pushed the issue because he didnt want to be seen as stabbing a man he has known and respected a long time in the back.
Wonder if they've talked about it?

Amir

The problem with this 'we're waiting until 4th isn't possible to sack LVG like we did with Moyes' is that I'm sure I read that the terms of LVG's contract were minimum 4th last season, 3rd this season and challenging for the title next. If that is the case (and I'm happy to be corected if I'm remembering wrong) then he's already missed the achievement needed for this year. Now I accept it's complicated by the FA Cup, but it does raise a problem with simply applying the same as happened with Moyes.
I doubt we had 'title challenge' stated in the contract. It can also be open to interpretation. Say you were in the races but lost any chance to win it with two games to go. Or three. Or one. Is that good enough?

Erebus

Problem this time is they won't do anything until after the FA Cup final.
Yes I accept that's a complicating factor - which is simply another reason why comparisons with the Moyes situation simply aren't valid.

Von Mistelroum

There's also a far more simple possibility which is that LVG is staying.....

Riz

Hoping Mourinho is cryptically giving us as much reassurance as he can. :lol:

Think about it, the most recent "evidence" supporting the claim than Van Gaal is here next year is him being involved in the planning for pre season. So what does Jose talk about next time he gets the chance? About how he was involved in the planning of Chelsea's pre season tour..

It's happening.

Right?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Alciato is supposedly the journalist who broke Conte to Chelsea, meant to be very reliable. I'd still take everything at this stage with a pinch of salt.

EDIT: he also never posts gossip again "supposedly".

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I was the 666th person to retweet that. If that isn't enough proof that the illuminati exist then I don't know what is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It doesn't say Manchester, its probably a wind up, he managed a team in Mexico today

Status
Not open for further replies.