g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Weren't you convinced Vidal was coming not too long ago?
I get beaten with that stick all the time and nobody likes to mention that I called the Shaw, Herrera, Falcao, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini and Mata transfers shortly after they were announced.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I get beaten with that stick all the time and nobody likes to mention that I called the Shaw, Herrera, Falcao, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini and Mata transfers shortly after they were announced.
You called the transfers shortly after they were announced?

Bilmey.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You called the transfers shortly after they were announced?

Bilmey.
Yup. Only the broadsheets and tabloids even had photos of the player signing the contract at that point.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
fecking hell, I wasn't aware. You're seriously talented.

tomaldinho1

Didn't really work for City announcing Pep, if anything it put a massive dent in their season.
I think timing is very different in that case. We are at the end of the season and we absolutely have to win these last two games. Players look too chilled out and need some kind of wake up call.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Is anybody gonna take this bet?
I won't, as I do believe we already have agreed to take Mourinho.
There is a flight currently available from Manchester to Dublin on Skyscanner for £900. Two stops, first one in Southampton, second in Newcastle, total duration of the flight is 17 hours. Do you think many people will purchase that?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There is a flight currently available from Manchester to Dublin on Skyscanner for £900. Two stops, first one in Southampton, second in Newcastle, total duration of the flight is 17 hours. Do you think many people will purchase that?
link?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I am 100% convinced he is ours. He's got a club to go to in July and who else is that going to be?

He then basically confirms that yes, Van Gaal is indeed organising the preseason, but that's to be expected.

I'll bet £100 with anyone who thinks otherwise. Our manager by August 1st.
:mad: I was quietly confident that Jose is going to be our manager until I read this. Now I am not sure anymore.

Tempted to take the bet.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

I'll see you for a drink then.
:smirk:

Those flights always amaze me, who the feck is doing it?

When we were booking our flights to Denver for Sept there were some going Manchester > Dublin > London and then on to America and the total flight times were like 30 hours, it's insane.

GiddyUp

:smirk:

Those flights always amaze me, who the feck is doing it?

When we were booking our flights to Denver for Sept there were some going Manchester > Dublin > London and then on to America and the total flight times were like 30 hours, it's insane.
Sky marshals. Charge the tax payer 1000% over the actual fare price for the same departure and destination, the stops in between are overtime.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think no 4th place will be the end of LvG. I really think Woodward was reluctant to let LvG before the end of his 3 year plan because I'd imagine Woodward sold this plan to the Board and he'll see this failure, plus the money spent, as a failure associated directly with him.

I'd think 4th place and an FA cup victory would have been sold by Woodward as enough to keep LvG in the job. So Woodward was never going to fire LvG after 18 months (December's form), let alone his reluctance to do it after 2 years. No UCL will force his hand though, IMO.

I also think we have some sort of "retainer" agreement with Mourinho, which is Woodwards contingency plan should top 4 not be achieved. It also explains why we've been so silent about everything. If LvG was really going to be given a 3rd year (irrespective of top 4), it'd just been easier for the club to confirm as much and "stabilise" the club.
That just doesnt make any sense and no business man would ever decide to do so. Things are getting worse and Woodward is well aware, as we will not reach our goals this season, not even close. So we're going downhill and things will get worse if he proceeds as we've been doing - then, he will look like an ever bigger failure

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That just doesnt make any sense and no business man would ever decide to do so. Things are getting worse and Woodward is well aware, as we will not reach our goals this season, not even close. So we're going downhill and things will get worse if he proceeds as we've been doing - then, he will look like an ever bigger failure
No businessman would ever decide to do what? Give as much time and leeway as possible to see if they could justify a business decision of theirs? If this isn't the case, then why hasn't Woodward pulled the plug on LvG yet?

Well, except if we got 4th AND a FA Cup win - that could well have made Woodward think that he could justify this season as "satisfactory" to the Board. I think Woodward mentioned a while ago that our minimum target in the league is supposed to be 3rd. Now if we don't achieve 3rd place, think 4th place plus a trophy could have salvaged something for him.

Stacks

happened with Moyes though

Djemba-Djemba

No businessman would ever decide to do what? Give as much time and leeway as possible to see if they could justify a business decision of theirs? If this isn't the case, then why hasn't Woodward pulled the plug on LvG yet?

Well, except if we got 4th AND a FA Cup win - that could well have made Woodward think that he could justify this season as "satisfactory" to the Board. I think Woodward mentioned a while ago that our minimum target in the league is supposed to be 3rd. Now if we don't achieve 3rd place, think 4th place plus a trophy could have salvaged something for him.
Yeah I think that is what's happening. Woodward very clearly does not want to sack Van Gaal because he really should have gone at Xmas and then several times after that. At any other big club he would be gone by now but Woodward refused to act. If we'd scraped 4th spot and won the Cup I think that would have at least given Woodward something to cling to in avoiding getting rid.

As it is with top 4 virtually gone I think there's nothing that can stop the inevitable. He has to get rid.

Natener

Yeah I think that is what's happening. Woodward very clearly does not want to sack Van Gaal because he really should have gone at Xmas and then several times after that. At any other big club he would be gone by now but Woodward refused to act. If we'd scraped 4th spot and won the Cup I think that would have at least given Woodward something to cling to in avoiding getting rid.

As it is with top 4 virtually gone I think there's nothing that can stop the inevitable. He has to get rid.
Purely my own speculation, but I think Woody didn't want to sack LVG in mid-season if Giggs as interim was the most realistic option. Probably thought even if it looked unlikely LVG was the man to get us back to success, he can't possibly mess up top 4 right?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We were top, and four points clear of Leicester at one stage this season; now we're struggling for fourth/fifth place and seventeen points behind LCFC. Surely this can't go on?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Who gets custody of the wine bottles?

Stacks

We were top, and four points clear of Leicester at one stage this season; now we're struggling for fourth/fifth place and seventeen points behind LCFC. Surely this can't go on?
We barely lead the league this season. At no point did we have the most points after equal games played across the league according to Premier league website

Kag

Woodward likes and respects Van Gaal, that's obvious. And I think people need to look at the bigger picture when debating our indecision to sack him earlier in the season.

Van Gaal may very well have been sacked in December, but that awful run of form (results-wise) was somewhat unexpected. The performances had been tedious and, at times, downright terrible, but the results had taken a very sudden tumble. Before that, the results were generally quite good.

Woodward, bearing in mind he works with Van Gaal and clearly has a lot of time for him, was probably, understandably loathe to sack him so quickly.

Rightly or wrongly, our board members still like to present the image that the club give their managers a proper chance. And to be fair, that's what we've done.

Moyes was given one season and was sacked when there was nothing to play for. And the only reason Van Gaal is still here is because we do have something to play for. When the season is over, I fully expect change (Hi, Jose) and it's a plan of action I think we've had in place for months.

In the mean time, I think Woodward came to the conclusion that keeping Van Gaal around to rescue the season was a better bet than handing over the reigns to Giggs or bringing in somebody (who?) fresh from the outside for the sake of a few months. I, for one, agree with that logic.

At least this way we've given the current manager a proper shot, and given the incoming one a full six months of time to do some homework. Of course, if Mourinho doesn't come in all of this is bullshit. But let's wait and see first.

MV12

I think it was all sorted out back in Dec/Jan..
LVG was given an 'incentive' to stay on till the end of the season, and in the meantime we've been lining up the deal for JM to replace him..
LVG has been a different animal since then, in knowing that the baton would be passed over whatever the outcome.

Our board has kept tight lipped on the whole saga, which has only added lots of fuel to the rumor mill..
The whole story of there being personel in the upper levels of the club that are against JM is in my opinion a 'red herring'.

The more I look at it from all the angles available to me, the only conclusion I can come up with is that we'll have JM as our next manager..

I personally am not a great fan of JM, however where we are at right now, I really think it'll match made in heaven!
A 'we need eachother' dynamic will bring out the very best in both sides of the equation.. And I think JM will be with us a good deal of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.