BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Man United stunned: Jose Mourinho set to sign five-year deal to manage Spanish club
JOSE MOURINHO is close to signing a five-year deal with Valencia, according to reports in Spain
Mourinho has been linked with the Manchester United job for months and Express Sportunderstands he is the No 1 candidate to replace Louis van Gaal - if he leaves this summer.

However, Van Gaal has suggested he is staying, claiming this month he would see out the remainder of his three-year deal.
And now reports in Spain indicate Mourinho is close to agreeing a deal with Valencia who are in the market for a permanent boss.

The La Liga side have endured a disappointing season and following the sacking Gary Neville appointed assistant Pako Ayestaran in March on a temporary basis.

Journalists from Spanish outlet Punto Pelota claim Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes is sorting out a five-year deal for him to join Valencia.

Juan Gato wrote: "The coach rests these days in Ibiza, while his representative Jorge Mendes closed yesterday in Valencia the fringes of signing with Peter Lim - £36million for five season
And fellow journalist Jordi Anjauma claimed on twitter he has it on good authority that Mourinho is set for a move to the Mestalla Stadium.

"A very reliable source informs me Mourinho will sign for Valencia in order to play at Barca and Madrid in the league," he added.
feck, i am not sure now. This is bad news. Makes me nervous.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or just another instance of coming to a firm conclusion on something then desperately searching for any evidence, no matter how tenuous, that supports that conclusion? :houllier:
You have two options when you see a green smiley:

A) Take the post with a pinch of salt.

Or

B) Take it extremely seriously using terms such as "firm conclusion" and "desperately searching", and also throwing a "rolling eyes" smiley in there.

Hmm, I wonder which one seems more logical.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Or just another instance of coming to a firm conclusion on something then desperately searching for any evidence, no matter how tenuous, that supports that conclusion? :houllier:
Calm down. He is ours. Whether we should be delighted with that remains to be seen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Man United stunned: Jose Mourinho set to sign five-year deal to manage Spanish club

@Olly How reliable are you? :lol:

Edit - weird autocorrect.

amolbhatia50k

Is that a journalist? He isn't verified?

Our desires aside, if Valencia back Mourinho with big money, La Liga with four top teams could be something even more amazing.

amolbhatia50k

All this and Fergie having lunch with Pachettino and his assistant yesterday.....

it's like a soap opera!
I just can't see any of this happening.

Why would Pochettino work so hard to turn Spurs into a proper side and then move to a CL-less club? He can do it next year as well.

Why would Jose and his massive ego, go and work at Valencia and become the little guy in Spain (compared to the big 2 or 3)?

Rednotdead

You have two options when you see a green smiley:

A) Take the post with a pinch of salt.

Or

B) Take it extremely seriously using terms such as "firm conclusion" and "desperately searching", and also throwing a "rolling eyes" smiley in there.

Hmm, I wonder which one seems more logical.
Both, actually. Although I didn't say it, I was using it as an example of what some are actually doing if you read the thread.

togg

I just can't see any of this happening.

Why would Pochettino work so hard to turn Spurs into a proper side and then move to a CL-less club? He can do it next year as well.

Why would Jose and his massive ego, go and work at Valencia and become the little guy in Spain (compared to the big 2 or 3)?
I agree.....there is no way Jose is going to Valencia.......not with Barca and Real confirmed as the top two richest clubs in the world with Valencia so where in sight!

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think Valencia are his backup plan. He like everyone doesnt trust edward. He has a friend as an owner there. He may as well decide to bid his time there at valencia for a year or two, Till another top job (madrid/arsenal/city/united opens up).

This might also be leaked to push woodward who has shown in the past how slow he is in negotiations. If people dont let it be known hopw unhappy they are to the club on sunday and dont force woody's hands. We ll be stuck with LVG.

amolbhatia50k

As I said, some people will come to a firm conclusion on something, then desperately search..............
I don't care particularly care about Mourinho. I wouldn't mind other candidates either (barring Giggs). I just get a feeling Mourinho will be our next manager. It's a mere prediction.

It appears you quoted the wrong guy thinking I was deeply invested in this, or something. Shit happens.

amolbhatia50k

I think Valencia are his backup plan. He like everyone doesnt trust edward. He has a friend as an owner there. He may as well decide to bid his time there at valencia for a year or two, Till another top job (madrid/arsenal/city/united opens up).

This might also be leaked to push woodward who has shown in the past how slow he is in negotiations. If people dont let it be known hopw unhappy they are to the club on sunday and dont force woody's hands. We ll be stuck with LVG.
Hard to see him going there. I mean, what a step down. A manager with the biggest ego of all managers, used to managing the wealthiest clubs around is prepared to get spanked by the Spanish big boys? Now, I know Valencia are actually a very very big club. But relative to the Big 2 in Spain, they are very weak at present, both on the pitch and financially.

Longlivekeano

Could be possibly true. Peter Lim-Jorge Mendes-Mourinho are veru close allies for past few years and helped one another in their different capacities in past few years.

I wouldnt be surprised if it happened. At the very least, Mourinho is in definitely in discussions, but whether he signs or not is another matter.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Hard to see him going there. I mean, what a step down. A manager with the biggest ego of all managers, used to managing the wealthiest clubs around is prepared to get spanked by the Spanish big boys? Now, I know Valencia are actually a very very big club. But relative to the Big 2 in Spain, they are very weak at present, both on the pitch and financially.
They are not financially weak, they just dont have the appeal that top 2 in spain have. He gets a safe house to bide his time and who knows a challenge to break the top 2 dominance (although athletico are doing a great job of it).

Rednotdead

I don't care particularly care about Mourinho. I wouldn't mind other candidates either (barring Giggs). I just get a feeling Mourinho will be our next manager. It's a mere prediction.

It appears you quoted the wrong guy thinking I was deeply invested in this, or something. Shit happens.
No, I was consciously quoting you (rightly or wrongly)!

I'm of the same opinion as you though, actually I'd rather it was Pochettino but it's not going to be so we may have to put up with Mourinho - if, indeed, the Board ever does come to a decision. I still think it's touch and go.

Bojan11

Hang on a sec.

He posted that tweet on the 10th, so why aren't other Spanish papers picking it up?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The preseason tour comments sound very much relevant to us seeing as it's been mentioned about Vangle a zillion times.

Rednotdead

They are not financially weak, they just dont have the appeal that top 2 in spain have. He gets a safe house to bide his time and who knows a challenge to break the top 2 dominance (although athletico are doing a great job of it).
I think he's still waiting for Utd to make a decision, but is keeping Valencia as a backstop if he doesn't get the nod from us. That's what I'd be doing.

cyberman

Yes they are financially weak. They used Otamendi as a way to pay off the Negredo transfer because they couldn't afford the rest of his fee.
Now they are going to pay Jose 20m sterling a year? Without CL football?

amolbhatia50k

No, I was consciously quoting you (rightly or wrongly)!

I'm of the same opinion as you though, actually I'd rather it was Pochettino but it's not going to be so we may have to put up with Mourinho - if, indeed, the Board ever does come to a decision. I still think it's touch and go.
I know you were quoting me consciously. I just think you mistook me for one of those very deeply invested in Mourinho being our manager (and hence selectively believing information that suits that narrative).

Thing with our club is, we don't let much information get out these days. So you have sound-bytes, here and there, news reports and, at the end of that, a general inkling as to what will happen. Mine just happens to be that Mourinho will be our next manager. If he isn't, then hopefully someone else very capable.

amolbhatia50k

They're certainly not financially strong when compared to Barca and Madrid. It would take years of incredible work as Simeone has done to even be in contention for the major honours and I can't see Mourinho thinking it's worth it after all the success he's had. IMO he wants to win trophies very soon and get his record back in order.

JoaquinJoaquin

This Valencia rumour all started from a guy who isn't even verified on Twitter so don't take it serious. I do however think that if we continue to mess him around then he will look at the Valencia job as a real possibility down the line. He has said he wants back in work ASAP and at Valencia he has Peter Lim who will no doubt give him a good amount of money to try and turn things around. The only thing that may sway him away from that job is that realistically he will probably never win La Liga when you have Barcelona, Atletico (in the best moment of their history) and Real Madrid all infront of him. Would be very hard to leapfrog those teams.

Rednotdead

I know you were quoting me consciously. I just think you mistook me for one of those very deeply invested in Mourinho being our manager (and hence selectively believing information that suits that narrative).

Thing with our club is, we don't let much information get out these days. So you have sound-bytes, here and there, news reports and, at the end of that, a general inkling as to what will happen. Mine just happens to be that Mourinho will be our next manager. If he isn't, then hopefully someone else very capable.
At the moment it seems a straight choice between someone capable and someone else who's shown themselves to be completely incapable. The jury's out on which one the Board will choose (not having demonstrated a great capability themselves).

LonelyFire

Let's be honest, these Valencia rumours may have started in a questionable fashion, but it wouldn't surprise us in the slightest if it ended up being true.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is not joining Valencia to play catch up to the top 3 in the league. The gap even if Valencia sign quality players is too big.
He might consider it as his last option if us or another interesting job isn't there this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.