g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

itso 7

Pretty much pure conjecture based on assumptions. The only genuine truths we know are that Glazers don't interfere in running of the club, Ed deals with commercial aspects and transfers. And who are these few people on the board interested in themselves? Do you mean Sir Bobby and SAF, 2 ambassadorial figures out of over a dozen directors on the board? I'm sure they have their influence but they would be influential whether or not they're on the board anyway. But all the stories about them blocking this appointment or wanting whoever as manager are as far as we know rumours. How logical is it that the Glazers would allow the running of their prized investment to be dictated by 2 retired ambassadors?

Did we really need to spend excessively on Mata and Di Maria for top 4? Our transfer spendings in the last 3 years is not a spending for top 4. That is the level of spending to win titles, i.e. what City and Chelsea did. And if Glazers are all about bottomline, then why gamble on Martial, Memphis or Shaw? They could easily go the way of Anderson and Phil Jones. If LVG could so easily get us top 4 then why are we not there this season? There seems to be a lot of contradiction in all your presumptions. I suggest you calm down and reconsider them in depth, then make your judgement again.
Right on, the way we spent money on Shaw, Martial and Memphis suggests that we are trying to create another Championship winning team that can stay together for a long time like what we did with Christiano, Rooney and Rio back then. That doesn't look like a club spending for top four to me, I think that their intentions are right and dovetail with our aspirations as fans but the execution part is lacking.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Alright. So looks like we are onto the next level of delusion. Where do we begin? Should we start with how awful rvp,welbeck have been in front of goal. Or the inconsistent performances of nani. I thought it was unanimously agreed that Lvg did a good job of getting rid of the dead weight. But clearly you seem to think otherwise.
You thought wrong. Personally I recognised early that LVG didn't have a clue about building a squad for the PL. All the warning signs were there early on, buying players to play a 5-3-2 (Rojo), selling pace (Welbeck).

Last seasons transfer window was a disaster despite many comments in here that it was 'the best transfer window ever' and the like.

pacifictheme

You thought wrong. Personally I recognised early that LVG didn't have a clue about building a squad for the PL. All the warning signs were there early on, buying players to play a 5-3-2 (Rojo), selling pace (Welbeck).

Last seasons transfer window was a disaster despite many comments in here that it was 'the best transfer window ever' and the like.
Yep. Two youngsters, an aging cm and what should have been a very good cm. Only one has exceeded or met expectations. The others have failed to varying degrees.

We should stop dicking about with players like neymar and bale and get our business done earlier in the window.

prath92

Evans was not worse than Rojo, RvP can only play against what in front of him, Nani was only just returning to fitness.
Last season he definitely was. Not sure you watched him the last 2 seasons before he left. He was absolutely poor and Rojo kept him out on merit

So? As we have seen with Memphis, scoring in inferior leagues is not a guarantee they will score here. RvP was poor last season. Elano scores for fun here in Indian league does that mean we buy him?

NinjaFletch

Yep. Two youngsters, an aging cm and what should have been a very good cm. Only one has exceeded or met expectations. The others have failed to varying degrees.

We should stop dicking about with players like neymar and bale and get our business done earlier in the window.
With the exception of Martial (who only become available when Monaco were knocked out of the CL) that's exactly what we did last summer.

Werder Herzog

For me the deafening silence from us makes this seems inevitable. I think LVG's friendship with Woodward has given him a stay of execution since January- but with no public backing which surely you would do if you wanted to quash the rumour mill i think it's only a matter of time- unless as a club we are of the opinion we dont have to justify rumours, could well be the case- i live in hope more than expectation though with this clown Woodward at the helm.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Last season he definitely was. Not sure you watched him the last 2 seasons before he left. He was absolutely poor and Rojo kept him out on merit

So? As we have seen with Memphis, scoring in inferior leagues is not a guarantee they will score here. RvP was poor last season. Elano scores for fun here in Indian league does that mean we buy him?
I watched all seasons of Evans and whilst he was poor last season, he's certainly not worse than how rojo is for us this season. Moreover, Evans had some very good phases in the premier league, suggesting he may well add value despite the poor year.

What do you mean so? Rvp was injured for a fair bit under lvg but he was still in a position to add value. We would have certainly got more points this year had we kept him or Nani. I don't really care for Evans (other than your comment saying he's worse than rojo was for us this season, which is overkill)

Loon

:lol:
I'm unconvinced Van Gaal is keeping his job for fear Woodward's appointment will be seen as a failure. It IS a failure.

Of course, there's no guarantee Mourinho won't be a failure too, but there's also no evidence Van Gaal's final year will see a tremendous upturn in our fortunes - quite the opposite at the moment.

I think Woodward has a loyalty to Van Gaal, stuff we're not privy to, maybe the behind-the scenes stuff and how we got him, I dunno, but he's running a business and there comes a time when loyalty has to give way to "only business."

Loon

I guess we'll know by July 1st. I imagine that is when year three of Van Gaal's contract kicks in. Or doesn't.

acrebo

So we can now add Fenerbahce to the list of PSG, Real Madrid, Inter, Everton... who's next, Newcastle?

Untied

I watched all seasons of Evans and whilst he was poor last season, he's certainly not worse than how rojo is for us this season. Moreover, Evans had some very good phases in the premier league, suggesting he may well add value despite the poor year.

What do you mean so? Rvp was injured for a fair bit under lvg but he was still in a position to add value. We would have certainly got more points this year had we kept him or Nani. I don't really care for Evans (other than your comment saying he's worse than rojo was for us this season, which is overkill)
Yeah, Evans won the West Brom players' player of the year

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm unconvinced Van Gaal is keeping his job for fear Woodward's appointment will be seen as a failure. It IS a failure.

Of course, there's no guarantee Mourinho won't be a failure too, but there's also no evidence Van Gaal's final year will see a tremendous upturn in our fortunes - quite the opposite at the moment.

I think Woodward has a loyalty to Van Gaal, stuff we're not privy to, maybe the behind-the scenes stuff and how we got him, I dunno, but he's running a business and there comes a time when loyalty has to give way to "only business."
This and I'm not going to blame Woodward for Van gaal's failure, most fans were positive after Van gaal's appointment.

Natener

I find it really hard to believe Ed "Moneymaker" Woodward would be swayed by sentiment in his decision making.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It has been discussed to death in this thread or elsewhere but still every new rumour linking him to some other club triggers panic mode amongst majority of us.

The silence of our club and Jose refusing to rule out United job, along with some other indications means there have been talks, we are his first choice and ball is in Woody's court. If Mourinho wanted to 'choose' another club over us, it would have been finalized and declared by now. Or at least some reputable media outlets would have ran such stories. On the contrary, the reputable sources have said Mou to United is almost a done deal while reports linking Mourinho to PSG, Valencia, Everton, Fenerbache, Syria, Sri Lanka, FC Pune City etc have just been rumours. So, common sense tells that it is as simple as Woody pulling the trigger on LvG and completing the formality with Mourinho. It is another matter that we fans believe our club to pull out unlikeliest of f**k ups and for that scenario PSG, Valencia etc are obviously Mourinho's insurances.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Amir

He spends one year in turkkey, wins the championship while we let van gaal feck us up even more, Just so that Edward Woodward's 2 appointment do not look like failures.
If Van Gaal remains and does badly, how does that not count as failures for Woodward?

Kag

You talk a good talk but it is doubtful this is true.

United just aren't as organised as you give them credit for, we have the Glazer's who are only interested in the bottom line, Ed who is only interested in pleasing the Glazer's, and a few people on the board who are only interested in themselves, we are not a well oiled finally run machine, we are a joke of a set up that couid quite easily keep LvG because it is the least hard the to do, ie the cheapest, and the one that causes the least trouble inside United, and to hell with the fans.

...Now I have resisted the temptation to have a rant for months over this, but the sight of that smug c**t blaming everyone and everything but himself after this season from hell has pushed me over the edge, :houllier: just go!
Ay, this is rubbish. Contrary to the dramatic image you like to present, being a shit football team doesn't benefit the Glazer's, Woodward, the rest of the board or the playing staff.

Our position now benefits nobody at all, because we're in a position that can lead to the reduction of sponsorship revenue and profit. Lots of people like to remind us just how much the Glazer's care only about the money. The bottom line, as you call it.

Well if that's true, then that financial security is in a degree of jeapordy. Keeping Van Gaal isn't "the least difficult thing to do." It's by far the riskiest. It's for that reason we'll make the change in a matter of weeks, if not days.

To see so much anger in this thread borders on impressive. I stopped giving much of a feck a good while back now, in the hope I can enjoy the football for what it is and forget about it the for rest of the week. It's so much easier that way.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We have gone through this. Evans was definitely worse than Rojo last season. RvP scored 20+ goals? In the Turkish league. Where mario Gomez is scoring for fun. Same with Nani. Welbeck will never be good enough for us.

All sales made sense.
Conveniently leaving out Chicharito, or is the Bunesliga weaker than the Prem too?

Natener

Yup. If Mourinho walks in the door on July 1st, we'll pretty much know that was not the case.
Football contracts run to 30 June, regardless of when they are signed.
It is very plausible that LVG did not leave earlier because Mourinho can't join a new club until this season ends contractually. Would make sense why Mourinho is so specific about getting a new job only in the summer. Regardless of whether he has any other good options or not, there's no need for him to publicly limit himself that way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is very plausible that LVG did not leave earlier because Mourinho can't join a new club until this season ends contractually. Would make sense why Mourinho is so specific about getting a new job only in the summer. Regardless of whether he has any other good options or not, there's no need for him to publicly limit himself that way.
Yep, this has been my thought position for months. Mourinho can't take a new job until 1 July, same boat as Moyes was in.

Loon

As I understand it yea, so hopefully that'll happen Monday.
I wonder if Van Gaal has been extended the opportunity to go gracefully after what one hopes is an FA Cup win?

If he's to be binned, doing it Monday would be pretty harsh. Particularly as they have to wait for Mourinho until July.

Honest John

I wonder if Van Gaal has been extended the opportunity to go gracefully after what one hopes is an FA Cup win?

If he's to be binned, doing it Monday would be pretty harsh. Particularly as they have to wait for Mourinho until July.
But if we lose, doing it Monday would be humane ....to us

Status
Not open for further replies.