BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wonder if Van Gaal has been extended the opportunity to go gracefully after what one hopes is an FA Cup win?

If he's to be binned, doing it Monday would be pretty harsh. Particularly as they have to wait for Mourinho until July.
It's how I would expect it to be handled to be honest. If we win the public announcement will be that he's decided to retire on a high note and let a new face take over to continue the work he's done with bringing through new players blah blah blah.

Obviously if we lose it will be a lot less gracious and just the typical 'mutual concent' bullshit.

entropy

CG1010

But they can announce that he will sign on 1 July right?
More importantly the question is whether the club would be smart enough to start working actively on transfers before the actual signing. Hopefully we won't repeat the mistake we made with Moyes going on a leave for a month. We need to (again) work on the transfer window asap specially with the Euros this summer.

SirAF

Ageist
More importantly the question is whether the club would be smart enough to start working actively on transfers before the actual signing. Hopefully we won't repeat the mistake we made with Moyes going on a leave for a month. We need to (again) work on the transfer window asap specially with the Euros this summer.
Oh, if this is happening then Jose will have instructed them ages ago. 100%. He doesn't feck around.

The Purley King

Oh, if this is happening then Jose will have instructed them ages ago. 100%. He doesn't feck around.
Think we'll find out when Zlatan joins that Mourinho tapped him up a while ago. I'm sure there will be other targets too.

Natener

If there's any truth of our approach to Zlatan, then clearly we are working on transfers already. It will be a question of who else are we lining up to sign.

Or this...
Think we'll find out when Zlatan joins that Mourinho tapped him up a while ago. I'm sure there will be other targets too.

Hammerfell

All the silly links popping up just make me more confident that he'll be here next season.

prath92

I watched all seasons of Evans and whilst he was poor last season, he's certainly not worse than how rojo is for us this season. Moreover, Evans had some very good phases in the premier league, suggesting he may well add value despite the poor year.

What do you mean so? Rvp was injured for a fair bit under lvg but he was still in a position to add value. We would have certainly got more points this year had we kept him or Nani. I don't really care for Evans (other than your comment saying he's worse than rojo was for us this season, which is overkill)
West brom finished bottom half. He made lots of mistakes there as he did here but the difference is margin of error is higher there. Plus he rarely played as a CB. He was a LB and DM more. When it mattered he couldn't keep a place here. Even Rojo would look good at a lower club.

As for RvP we told him he wasn't going to be first choice and he decided to leave so that he can still get into Holland team. Irony is he fought with the manager there too. We could have got points had we kept Robbie Brady also. Nani hasn't performed well an was injured a lot since 2011. Wasn't his best anymore

prath92

Conveniently leaving out Chicharito, or is the Bunesliga weaker than the Prem too?
Chicharito I would have preferred to keep but he didn't want to be on the bench and he wasn't going to start for a top club. He was always going to be a good scorer for whichever club but otherwise he wasn't talented enough in his buildup play. Which is why even Fergie often benched him.

Spoony

The People's President
Chicharito I would have preferred to keep but he didn't want to be on the bench and he wasn't going to start for a top club. He was always going to be a good scorer for whichever club but otherwise he wasn't talented enough in his buildup play. Which is why even Fergie often benched him.

He was never going to get a game in front of RVP and Rooney. Clearly a mistake to sell him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This and I'm not going to blame Woodward for Van gaal's failure, most fans were positive after Van gaal's appointment.
I was unapologetically positive about LVG and a strong LVG supporter.
He was going to bring possession based football so we could compete against the likes of Barca and go toe to toe with them.
Unfortunately things did not work out and I wanted him gone since January.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
well yeh if your only looking short term...
Our decline is not short term.
In the last 3 seasons, we finished 7, 4, 5. average: 5.33.
A 3 year average league placing of 5.33, for MUFC is disastrous.
How can any fan ignore this 3 year decline?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Our decline is not short term.
In the last 3 seasons, we finished 7, 4, 5. average: 5.33.
A 3 year average league placing of 5.33, for MUFC is disastrous.
How can any fan ignore this 3 year decline?
Nobodies ignoring it, some of us have memories before Ferguson came in so don't think we have any divine right to win or finish in the top 4, there's also very little we can do about it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's hard not to get my hopes up for Monday being the day we announce Van Gaal is leaving. However I've been let down too many times.

Van Gaal leaving on Monday then José announced or unveiled on June 1 is my prediction.

walkinhop

Nobodies ignoring it, some of us have memories before Ferguson came in so don't think we have any divine right to win or finish in the top 4, there's also very little we can do about it.
The difference between Ferguson is light and day.

First, he was only one. We have changed people and thus the process ( ugh) has restarted
Second, different times. Yes, it does matter and it does affect how things work
Third, much tougher opposition coming from many more sides.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
West brom finished bottom half. He made lots of mistakes there as he did here but the difference is margin of error is higher there. Plus he rarely played as a CB. He was a LB and DM more. When it mattered he couldn't keep a place here. Even Rojo would look good at a lower club.

As for RvP we told him he wasn't going to be first choice and he decided to leave so that he can still get into Holland team. Irony is he fought with the manager there too. We could have got points had we kept Robbie Brady also. Nani hasn't performed well an was injured a lot since 2011. Wasn't his best anymore
Yes, West Brom are bottom half of the table, but Evans for us is not worse than Rojo is now. The latter is borderline criminal in defence. He's like the Memphis Depay of defenders with regular brainfarts every game. Johnny Evans has actually proven himself in seasons prior to LVG to show a higher ceiling. His form was poor for us, but Rojo is another level of shite this year.

As for RvP, he had 10 goals in a 'poor' season for LVG. He should have been first choice as a striker, so LVG selling him is wrong, even if we accept your premise that he wanted to be first choice and hence wanted to go. We should not have sold RVP, especially when you consider the brain fart of selling Hernandez & Welbeck. Its beggars belief to turn to RvP and say "No, you go, I want Wayne as first choice". Way

Nani was returning to full fitness but was never played, he's one of those players that LVG just ignored in favour for other attackers. Kagawa never got a fecking chance either. I don't know how you can say the sales were justified when most of these players went on to do really well at other clubs and weren't even given a proper chance under LVG. Heinsight shows we were daft idiots to sell these attackers - we should have at least kept two of them.

We have what, 1 more goal than Sunderland all season. How you can say the sales were correct is beyond me. They clearly weren't.

GiddyUp

But we do have a right to finish in the top four. We are the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest in the world. An average league place of fifth over an acceptable measure of time like three seasons is a travesty for this club, especially after what we have achieved over the last thirty years. Forget about pre Ferguson, that is ancient history now and the vast majority of our fans were not born and the ones that were barely got to see any United games on Tv. If we want to be the best we need to employ the best. Arsenal have every right to finish in the top four because they have a manager and a squad that gets them there every year. Our problem is one disaster of an appointment and then an authoritarian that is always nice at the start but as time goes by you realize a big mistake has been made. With the right manager this club can return to where it belongs, FIRST feckING PLACE.

NinjaFletch

But we do have a right to finish in the top four. We are the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest in the world. An average league place of fifth over an acceptable measure of time like three seasons is a travesty for this club, especially after what we have achieved over the last thirty years. Forget about pre Ferguson, that is ancient history now and the vast majority of our fans were not born and the ones that were barely got to see any United games on Tv. If we want to be the best we need to employ the best. Arsenal have every right to finish in the top four because they have a manager and a squad that gets them there every year. Our problem is one disaster of an appointment and then an authoritarian that is always nice at the start but as time goes by you realize a big mistake has been made. With the right manager this club can return to where it belongs, FIRST feckING PLACE.
No we don't. No one does.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So based on what happened 30 years ago, you think we should accept mediocrity?
Or how about Chelsea OR MCFC who many years ago were not title contenders - perhaps their fans should accept a relegation battle? You can bet they wouldn't.
Or how about LCFC who were in some lower league. Maybe their fans should accept being relegated?

I realise that some fans live 30 years in the past, but this is not how organisations or businesses work (and MUFC is being run as a business).
Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Barca - none of these teams in 2016 would accept 5th place, so why should MUFC?

hobbers

There's no room for mediocrity when you can theoretically afford to sign any player in the world.

You get the best manager available, you make a solid plan for the future. If something clearly isn't working you change it promptly.

prath92

Yes, West Brom are bottom half of the table, but Evans for us is not worse than Rojo is now. The latter is borderline criminal in defence. He's like the Memphis Depay of defenders with regular brainfarts every game. Johnny Evans has actually proven himself in seasons prior to LVG to show a higher ceiling. His form was poor for us, but Rojo is another level of shite this year.

As for RvP, he had 10 goals in a 'poor' season for LVG. He should have been first choice as a striker, so LVG selling him is wrong, even if we accept your premise that he wanted to be first choice and hence wanted to go. We should not have sold RVP, especially when you consider the brain fart of selling Hernandez & Welbeck. Its beggars belief to turn to RvP and say "No, you go, I want Wayne as first choice". Way

Nani was returning to full fitness but was never played, he's one of those players that LVG just ignored in favour for other attackers. Kagawa never got a fecking chance either. I don't know how you can say the sales were justified when most of these players went on to do really well at other clubs and weren't even given a proper chance under LVG. Heinsight shows we were daft idiots to sell these attackers - we should have at least kept two of them.

We have what, 1 more goal than Sunderland all season. How you can say the sales were correct is beyond me. They clearly weren't.
As I said you are comparing a players United season to another's WBA season. Evans was pathetic last season. When we needed him to lead the defense he shivered and performed so badly that new CBs like McNair outperformed him. Rojo would seem decent in a team like WBA because they don't mind even if they concede a few goals. Here each goal is a big deal.

RvP scored goals but lost the pace he had in 12/13. Either him or Rooney had to be benched and it was always going to be RvP. Plus Rooney scored more too. How you say RvP would save us is just crazy. Had he been here we would be complaining about 2 over the hill strikers instead of one.

We needed players better than Nani. Would he have done a decent job here? Yeah of course. Even jermaine Defoe would have helped us improve. But nani in the squad would not make us title challengers. We need better players than nani or welbeck

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The difference between Ferguson is light and day.

First, he was only one. We have changed people and thus the process ( ugh) has restarted
Second, different times. Yes, it does matter and it does affect how things work
Third, much tougher opposition coming from many more sides.
I wasn't comparing him to Ferguson. Just saying before Ferguson we had some lean years.

No we don't, no one does. You work at it.

So based on what happened 30 years ago, you think we should accept mediocrity?
Or how about Chelsea OR MCFC who many years ago were not title contenders - perhaps their fans should accept a relegation battle? You can bet they wouldn't.
Or how about LCFC who were in some lower league. Maybe their fans should accept being relegated?

I realise that some fans live 30 years in the past, but this is not how organisations or businesses work (and MUFC is being run as a business).
Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Barca - none of these teams in 2016 would accept 5th place, so why should MUFC?
Not saying we should accept mediocrity. Just saying not all of us are getting our knickers in a twist over it and thinking we have some devine right. I doubt we will accept 5th place and Mourinho will be brought in. Main point I was trying to make was, we don't have any say in it.

RoyH1

There's no room for mediocrity when you can theoretically afford to sign any player in the world.
The thing is, that is strictly theoretical and doesn't correspond to reality.

Can we sign Messi? Nope.

Can we sign Ronaldo? Unlikely.

Can we sign Neymar? Possibly, but more due to his troubles with paying his taxes in Spain than in any wish of his to leave Barcelona.

And so on and so on. It's not that easy to get exactly what one wants. Having said that, we have been awful in transfer dealings. But that's not the managers job at United, is it?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think the issue here comes down to semantics really. No one has a right to finish anywhere, but as the biggest club in the world or wherever we are these days, we should be doing much better than 5th.

RedRover

I don;t think we have a "right" to anything - you finish where you deserve over a 38 game season.

But with the money Van Gaal had to spend, the time he's had and the free reign to chop and change the squad he should have done much better, and as a result so should the club.

Not making top 4 is a disaster which shouldn't be acceptable in this context - that is an experienced manager with the resources to finish much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.