BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adebesi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...etails-acrimonious-departure-club-public.html

Just states "sometime in June". It'll probably get settled quite quickly I imagine, he doesn't want this hanging over his head coming into a new job. Doubt the club will want their name being brought into it either.
The thing I read - which may well be that same article but I havent clicked it - said he would only get fined a grand if he didnt even show up. So he may just choose to ignore the whole thing and just pay whatever amount he is made to pay.

Adebesi

Out of interest, is this the longest thread for a managerial appointment?
When Fergie was retiring, was there a "who will be our next manager" thread? And if so how long did that get?
It wasnt the same as I remember it, there were dozens of threads about who our next manager should be hypothetically, before he actually ever announced it. But when he did announce it Moyes was announced within a couple of days.

The speculation around Moyes' replacement would have been a longer thread than that, but nowhere near as long as this.

jojose

We would never appoint him in December.........Mourinho must go without work and keep quiet on Chelsea for 6 months to receive his full payout.....standard contract stipulations

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The thing I read - which may well be that same article but I havent clicked it - said he would only get fined a grand if he didnt even show up. So he may just choose to ignore the whole thing and just pay whatever amount he is made to pay.
He wouldn't technically need to show up anyway, just get his lawyers to handle it and produce a statement. But either way a decision will be made, if he's guilty he will have to pay compensation and issue an apology more than likely.

Flying_Heckfish

Out of interest, is this the longest thread for a managerial appointment?
When Fergie was retiring, was there a "who will be our next manager" thread? And if so how long did that get?
There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Hopefully we get it right this time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Make of this what you will but someone I know works at Everton FC and is pretty good with stuff from inside the club.

He was talking about Martinez leaving and Everton making contact with Mourinho's guys only to be told flat our there was no point even making an offer as he was going to United - done and dusted.

I am not one for ITK stuff but thought I would share.

Riz

Make of this what you will but someone I know works at Everton FC and is pretty good with stuff from inside the club.

He was talking about Martinez leaving and Everton making contact with Mourinho's guys only to be told flat our there was no point even making an offer as he was going to United - done and dusted.

Thanks for sharing.

1. What's your mates role within Everton?
2. Who told him flat out?

TheReligion

Abusive
Thanks for sharing.

1. What's your mates role within Everton?
2. Who told him flat out?
He is involved with the marketing side of operations.

I was just told representatives basically dismissed any approach as being a waste of time on the basis his destination was already Old Trafford..

Could be rubbish he has been fed but as an Everton fan and working for the club I don't see him or his colleagues having any reason to make it up.

stevoc

We cannot make anything public till we agree terms of departure of Lvg. It is basic contract law.When ferguson retired, he was released from his contract and david moyes was released from his on 30 th june. so we appointed him from 1 july.

Its Simple, contract law states that we cannot have a formal contract with Mou till we have either mutual agreement for Lvg departure or fire him under stipulation of his contract (not getting top4 is a stipulation). Till then we can do is have a verbal agreement with mou, but verbal agreement cannot be enforced.
I think the club wait till F.a. cup final to negotiate LVG's terms of leaving(What he gets paid, what he can and cannot say to the press for a period of time etc). Then we make the formal offer to mourinho(which should have been drafted and agreed with his agent by now). Then he can begin work either immidiately or if his mutual termination/sacking at chelsea stated he cannot work for english clubs till 30 june, then we sign a contract and put words into effect that he starts working on 1 july.

Eh but thats basically what i said.

we won't make anything public about a new manager until it's common knowledge Van Gaal is actually stepping down.
I'm no expert but by the time we publicly announce Van Gaal is leaving i highly suspect we will have agreed terms with him on his departure.

Natener

Tell me what would the purpose of bringing Mourinho in when they out of the champions league and the league was already won. Mancini had the league won and deserved to see that out.

There was no purpose of Jose joining Inter that season. They wanted to give Mancini one more chance in Europe. He failed, but there's little point changing the manager straight after that. The league was already won.

Where as we could have made the change. But I believe Woodward refused to sack Van Gaal in December. He could have even given it to Giggs or Joyce until the end of the season. Woodward stupidly wanted to stand by Van Gaal.
I've given you the evidences that showed the dates aligned conveniently Mourinho was appointed at Inter on the exact day his contract began at Chelsea. Inter could have risked missing out Mourinho by waiting. They had a healthy lead and Mourinho could have came in to acclimatize himself to the squad and prepare early to make changes in the summer as well as winning Serie A to start on a high note. Moratti was well noted as typically with Italian owners for firing coaches. You believe Mancini was shown grace to seeing out the league against the norm of how Moratti acted as Inter president. In fact, in the same month Inter was knocked out in CL, they lost twice and drew twice in the league they were expected to run away with. In the end, the league which they won the season before with a 22pt lead went down till the last day.

You believe Woodward could have given the job to Giggs or Joyce but Giggs had a 4 game experience in the league and Joyce has nothing. Nothing suggested appointing either in December would have given us a better chance at top 4.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I understand dismissing Everton's proposal but not sure why they'd need to make Everton aware of a move to United.

Especially when you consider how hush Mendes and Mourinho have been when asked on a United move.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I understand dismissing their proposal but not sure why they'd need to make Everton aware of a move to United.
They probably asked why. It's not exactly a secret either, Moratti's sister knew as well. His people don't seem that fussed about hushing it up.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It wasnt the same as I remember it, there were dozens of threads about who our next manager should be hypothetically, before he actually ever announced it. But when he did announce it Moyes was announced within a couple of days.

The speculation around Moyes' replacement would have been a longer thread than that, but nowhere near as long as this.
In that case, it would be fair to say that this is the most anticipated MUFC managerial hiring in our recent history.
Obviously fans are feeling that we need to get this one right - no experiments or trainee managers.

Adebesi

Could be a bit of a Chinese whispers situation. Maybe the feedback was actually "there's no point speaking to him, he already has an agreement in place with another club." And given all the speculation about him coming to United, someone filled in the blank and reported it back as "he's already agreed to go to United."

Or perhaps it was more like when you ask a really beautiful girl out on a date and she says she already has a boyfriend, just to make you go away, but with minimal hurt feelings.

Rednotdead

You are absolutely correct that is why i say there is no formal contract with mou till Lvg contract is terminated.Even if we sign a contract with mou right now it is void in the eyes of law. Lvg will be due damages
Football contracts normally run from 1st July to 30th June. Any contract for Mourinho will start on 1st July, there is no reason for it to commence before that. Van Gaal will (hopefully) have left long before that.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Football contracts normally run from 1st July to 30th June. Any contract for Mourinho will start on 1st July, there is no reason for it to commence before that. Van Gaal will (hopefully) have left long before that.
You are wrong here. Contracts run from date of signing to june 30 usually. The begining date is never set to be 1 july.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
No, that's not correct. If it was void LVG would not be entitled to damages as he would not have suffered an actionable loss or damage.

Any agreement with Mourinho would be perfectly enforceable notwithstanding that the performance of such an agreement (i.e by hiring Mourinho) would have knock on effects for the terms, performance and potential termination of LVG's own contract (in short, LVG would have one of number of causes of action).
You cannot hire 2 people for one post. Mourinho cannot be hired until LVG is out of contract or has it rescinded. If mourinho signs a contract that says it begins now, then contract will be void as Lvg is alteady under contract for same post and until he is dismissed or leaves you cannot have mourinho enforce his contract.
Mourinho can sign a contract with a date on it and it will be enforcable after that date, united will have till that date to dismiss LVG. As you cannot have no cause of dismissal, it will be in his contract that not achieving top4 is cause of dismissal. Hence as it is impossible to get top4 now, we can dismiss him and then hire mourinho. You will say managers are fired for finishing 3rd and 2nd also but then the payoff or actionable loss is much more. United seem to be keeping a top4 clause to gire managers which seems a good strategy.

Brophs

The One and Only
You cannot hire 2 people for one post. Mourinho cannot be hired until LVG is out of contract or has it rescinded. If mourinho signs a contract that says it begins now, then contract will be void as Lvg is alteady under contract for same post and until he is dismissed or leaves you cannot have mourinho enforce his contract.
Mourinho can sign a contract with a date on it and it will be enforcable after that date, united will have till that date to dismiss LVG. As you cannot have no cause of dismissal, it will be in his contract that not achieving top4 is cause of dismissal. Hence as it is impossible to get top4 now, we can dismiss him and then hire mourinho. You will say managers are fired for finishing 3rd and 2nd also but then the payoff or actionable loss is much more. United seem to be keeping a top4 clause to gire managers which seems a good strategy.
Legally you can hire as many people as you like for one post. That they are unable to carry out the role in the manner they expected will lead to a post-dispute legal remedy for one or both parties, not a void contract, which simply means the contract doesn't exist/is incapable of being performed.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Legally you can hire as many people as you like for one post. That they are unable to carry out the role in the manner they expected will lead to a post-dispute legal remedy for one or both parties, not a void contract, which simply means the contract doesn't exist/is incapable of being performed.
That is what i mean by void, english is not my first language.

Brophs

The One and Only
That is what i mean by void, english is not my first language.
No worries. Your English is better than any of my second languages etc., that's for sure.

I was just defining what a void contract is. It wouldn't arise here, because simply hiring a third party to carry out ostensibly the same function doesn't render a contract void. Likewise, the party who might be seeking to void the contract would be making a financial loss by having it declared void. It's more likely that one of the parties would consider the contract, which they would continue to be bound by until a decision of a Court, to be frustrated and therefore seek damages on foot of their alleged losses.

In reality it won't happen, though, as at the appropriate time they would simply terminate the contract of the current manager) leaving the other one to carry on. Similarly everyone knows how football works. You rarely get the sack without the next man being in place. There is no prescriptive job description or title that clubs are bound by when hiring managers. The mere fact that you've entered into a contract based on future events doesn't mean that that agreement is void because you already have a manager. It could mean, though, that if the manager was undermined that he could argue constructive dismissal etc. That wouldn't be at all common. Generally it's just about sorting a payoff.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
So a yearly contract that ends on 30th June wouldn't be signed on 1st July? When would it start then?
Moyes' starting date was 1st July.
For example we sign rooney on 28 august or fellaini on 2 september then the contract cannot begin from july. I did not take into consideration the yearly bit. its all relative though, to when you sign a player or a manager. Say klopp contract cannot begin from 1 july as he signed for liverpool in middle of the year once rodgers was terminated.

Moyes had to start from 1 july because his contract at everton was to end on 30 june, if he began early then everton were due some compensation although that is not practical. Same with fergie, his contract was rolling yearly contract, so it was always gonna end on june 30 and we may not employ moyes earlier as it does not make practical sense.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
No worries. Your English is better than any of my second languages etc., that's for sure.

I was just defining what a void contract is. It wouldn't arise here, because simply hiring a third party to carry out ostensibly the same function doesn't render a contract void. Likewise, the party who might be seeking to void the contract would be making a financial loss by having it declared void. It's more likely that one of the parties would consider the contract, which they would continue to be bound by until a decision of a Court, to be frustrated and therefore seek damages on foot of their alleged losses.

In reality it won't happen, though, as at the appropriate time they would simply terminate the contract of the current manager) leaving the other one to carry on. Similarly everyone knows how football works. You rarely get the sack without the next man being in place. There is no prescriptive job description or title that clubs are bound by when hiring managers. The mere fact that you've entered into a contract based on future events doesn't mean that that agreement is void because you already have a manager. It could mean, though, that if the manager was undermined that he could argue constructive dismissal etc. That wouldn't be at all common. Generally it's just about sorting a payoff.
Yes absolutely in practical terms, it is always agreed as a mutual termination understanding between the manager and club. It is not practical to have two people employed on one task. Then mutual terms will include as you say pay off and other contractual bindings like moyes had when he left us or in mourinho first time sacking, when he was not to manage another english club.

Riz

Love that quote from Zlatan to Guardiola when they were at Barca ahead of the tie against Inter.

"You are shitting yourself because of Mourinho!"

Oh how that could be a wonderful banner for the Manchester derby next season. :devil:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mourinho + Ibra = BOX OFFICE!

Surely Woodward must thinking about the increased TV audiences and then getting bigger sponsorship deals off the back of the bigger audiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.