g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

red_devil83

Yep. With the enormity of the club's presence globally and the resources that are at our disposal not only should we be finishing top four we should be winning the fecking thing or at least challenging for it. Top four is the bar set at it's absolute minimum. As well as this we should be competing on a level with Real and Bayern and the fact that we are not is further evidence of seriously flawed management from our board.

It's like we've suddenly been transformed into a second tier outfit or something. We are dripping with money, history and pedigree and anything other than competing for the highest honours is rank failure. I suspect Jose Mourinho would be of that opinion too and I think he'd be expressing that as opposed to bollocks talk of expectations being too high.
I hope he arrives and says we do not want to be competing for 4th or in the Europa League

LeftyBlaster

And how do you know this? Where in the article does it say Jose had that sort of agreement?

Jose said in his first statement since leaving Chelsea that he is looking to get back into work immediately. He rejected Real Madrid and other silly offers. The reason we haven't signed him is down to Woodward wanting to give Van Gaal a chance.
Because none of those offers were English offers ffs

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If he is going to be announced as our manager it will be before 1st June I reckon which is when the ST renewal date has been pushed back to.

LvG 'retirement' announcement Tuesday or Wednesday followed by Jose's managerial appointment announcement on the following Friday with him officially starting 1st July is my prediction.

Natener

Jose said in his first statement since leaving Chelsea that he is looking to get back into work immediately. He rejected Real Madrid and other silly offers. The reason we haven't signed him is down to Woodward wanting to give Van Gaal a chance.
Actually, Mourinho has never joined a club in mid season since Porto. Also worth noting the previous time he was sacked by Chelsea, he also waited til the summer to take over Inter.

spwd

If he is going to be announced as our manager it will be before 1st June I reckon which is when the ST renewal date has been pushed back to.

LvG 'retirement' announcement Tuesday or Wednesday followed by Jose's managerial appointment announcement on the following Friday with him officially starting 1st July is my prediction.
I was told it was the 7th for st etc

Bojan11

Actually, Mourinho has never joined a club in mid season since Porto. Also worth noting the previous time he was sacked by Chelsea, he also waited til the summer to take over Inter.
That is because Inter won the league and club were willing to see what Mancini did in the champions league. You not going to get rid of a manager when you top of the league.

stepic

I can't believe people are still pining over fecking RVP, Nani, and Evans. Christ almighty.

Natener

That is because Inter won the league and club were willing to see what Mancini did in the champions league. You not going to get rid of a manager when you top of the league.
Inter were out of CL in the first knockout round. Mancini was already expected to leave then, and Mourinho himself said he was approached to take over right after Liverpool knocked Inter out.

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

Inter were out of CL in the first knockout round. Mancini was already expected to leave then, and Mourinho himself said he was approached to take over right after Liverpool knocked Inter out.
Probably a similar situation to ours, then. I think it's undeniable that we have approached him and did so a good while ago. Whether or not a deal is in place is the question, and personally I feel pretty confident that there is an agreement for him to take over.

Bojan11

Yes and what is Mourinho going to do when they knocked out the champions league? Win the league which Mancini had already sewn up. Mancini would not have been sacked mid season due to his league position.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I'm sorry but the "divine right" argument is really, really, really stupid. It would be like saying that you can't complain about Memphis performances because he doesn't have a divine right to be good at football.

Clubs have goals that reflects their means, if they invest and work to achieve their goals, they ought to reach them. Fans expectations almost always reflect the means and goals set by the clubs themselves, they don't pull them from their backsides.
It's absolute nonsense.

They are simply expectations that a club out size are expected to match . If we don't,we as fans should not just accept it because we used to struggle 30 years ago

Sir Alex was the one that told us to be like this. To have such high standards,and strive to meet them each season. It's not being spoilt to do so.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
We will get some news at press conference of Lvg. Anyone know if its today or tomorrow ?

Natener

Yes and what is Mourinho going to do when they knocked out the champions league? Win the league which Mancini had already sewn up. Mancini would not have been sacked mid season due to his league position.
Would not be sacked due to league position and yet sacked after winning the league. League position was secondary to Inter. Mourinho was approached after the 1st CL knockout round and appointed in June. So why the need to wait that few months when regardless of what Mancini did, he was getting the sack anyways?

Here's a timeline for you. Mourinho officially signed with Chelsea on 2 June 2004 and left 20 Sept 2007. Serie A ended on 18 May 2008 with Inter as champions and Mancini sacked on 28 May. Coincidentally, Mourinho appointed 2 June 2008 as Inter manager.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Would not be sacked due to league position and yet sacked after winning the league. League position was secondary to Inter. Mourinho was approached after the 1st CL knockout round and appointed in June. So why the need to wait that few months when regardless of what Mancini did, he was getting the sack anyways?

Here's a timeline for you. Mourinho officially signed with Chelsea on 2 June 2004 and left 20 Sept 2007. Serie A ended on 18 May 2008 with Inter as champions and Mancini sacked on 28 May. Coincidentally, Mourinho appointed 2 June 2008 as Inter manager.

Tell me what would the purpose of bringing Mourinho in when they out of the champions league and the league was already won. Mancini had the league won and deserved to see that out.

There was no purpose of Jose joining Inter that season. They wanted to give Mancini one more chance in Europe. He failed, but there's little point changing the manager straight after that. The league was already won.

Where as we could have made the change. But I believe Woodward refused to sack Van Gaal in December. He could have even given it to Giggs or Joyce until the end of the season. Woodward stupidly wanted to stand by Van Gaal.

prath92

Tell me what would the purpose of bringing Mourinho in when they out of the champions league and the league was already won. Mancini had the league won and deserved to see that out.

There was no purpose of Jose joining Inter that season. They wanted to give Mancini one more chance in Europe. He failed, but there's little point changing the manager straight after that. The league was already won.

Where as we could have made the change. But I believe Woodward refused to sack Van Gaal in December. He could have even given it to Giggs or Joyce until the end of the season. Woodward stupidly wanted to stand by Van Gaal.
Frankly neither giggs nor Joyce would have done better than 5th imo

Mourinho doesn't seem to me like the sort of guy who would salvage a season like pulis and allardyce do. He is more of a fresh start guy

Adebesi

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It won't be announced until 30th June. That's when Mourinho said he was going to start his next job. Presumably, there was a clause in his Chelsea contract that prevents him from joining any club sooner than that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/12/jose-mourinho-management-june-manchester-united

Another 6 weeks to wait.
Not sure about that. The frantic media briefings, which most people would assume are Mendes' work, would indicate that Mourinho wants an announcement sooner rather than later. In fact, I'm sure I've read somewhere that he is keen to take up the job ASAP so that he can assess the players before they go away for the Euros and holidays.

If United told Mourinho he could have the job next Monday, he'd be there ready as soon as the sun rose. He's desperate for the job.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He cant be announced till the contract if LVG is rescinded. Once the postion of manager is vacant, then he can be formally approached and signed.

Infra-red

Not sure about that. The frantic media briefings, which most people would assume are Mendes' work, would indicate that Mourinho wants an announcement sooner rather than later. In fact, I'm sure I've read somewhere that he is keen to take up the job ASAP so that he can assess the players before they go away for the Euros and holidays.

If United told Mourinho he could have the job next Monday, he'd be there ready as soon as the sun rose. He's desperate for the job.
They indicate Mendes and Mourinho are still waiting on an actual signed agreement. Hopefully this will be a mere formality once the Cup Final is played.

stevoc

He cant be announced till the contract if LVG is rescinded. Once the postion of manager is vacant, then he can be formally approached and signed.
Thats not technically true though is it. We announced Moyes was joining while Ferguson was still manager.

Though i agree we won't make anything public about a new manager until it's common knowledge Van Gaal is actually stepping down.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Thats not technically true though is it. We announced Moyes was joining while Ferguson was still manager.

Though i agree we won't make anything public about a new manager until it's common knowledge Van Gaal is actually stepping down.
We cannot make anything public till we agree terms of departure of Lvg. It is basic contract law.When ferguson retired, he was released from his contract and david moyes was released from his on 30 th june. so we appointed him from 1 july.

Its Simple, contract law states that we cannot have a formal contract with Mou till we have either mutual agreement for Lvg departure or fire him under stipulation of his contract (not getting top4 is a stipulation). Till then we can do is have a verbal agreement with mou, but verbal agreement cannot be enforced.
I think the club wait till F.a. cup final to negotiate LVG's terms of leaving(What he gets paid, what he can and cannot say to the press for a period of time etc). Then we make the formal offer to mourinho(which should have been drafted and agreed with his agent by now). Then he can begin work either immidiately or if his mutual termination/sacking at chelsea stated he cannot work for english clubs till 30 june, then we sign a contract and put words into effect that he starts working on 1 july.

SqueakyWeasel

We cannot make anything public till we agree terms of departure of Lvg. It is basic contract law.When ferguson retired, he was released from his contract and david moyes was released from his on 30 th june. so we appointed him from 1 july.

Its Simple, contract law states that we cannot have a formal contract with Mou till we have either mutual agreement for Lvg departure or fire him under stipulation of his contract (not getting top4 is a stipulation). Till then we can do is have a verbal agreement with mou, but verbal agreement cannot be enforced.
I think the club wait till F.a. cup final to negotiate LVG's terms of leaving(What he gets paid, what he can and cannot say to the press for a period of time etc). Then we make the formal offer to mourinho(which should have been drafted and agreed with his agent by now). Then he can begin work either immidiately or if his mutual termination/sacking at chelsea stated he cannot work for english clubs till 30 june, then we sign a contract and put words into effect that he starts working on 1 july.
But you're not figuring in that a deal or agreement might already be in place regarding LvG leaving by mutual consent. They may have offered him his final year payment to step aside without losing face after the final, whatever happens, quoting personal reasons or some such bullshit. Perhaps all three parties, LvG, the club and Mourinho have known for a while that this will be the final outcome and that's why no-one seems to be panicking. City screwed up with the overly-early Pep announcement and I thought it was immensely disrespectful to the wookie. Also, maybe Mourinho was tied down to his Chelsea release deal until the end of the season on gardening leave or something. There's also the Wall Street announcement factor to consider.

Confident there will be an announcement in the days after the FA Cup final that allows everyone to come out of this happy.

Brophs

The One and Only

I'd be pretty interested to know which facet of contract law says that. We can enter into agreements with whomever we want. The issue that would arise, however, would be from the employment law side of things regarding LVG's contract. If, for example, it could be proven that we had entered into an agreement with a third party for the role he currently then he could argue anything from constructive/unfair dismissal to arguing that we have breached/frustrated his contract and, as such, are no longer able to avail ourselves of the protections provided by that agreement(s) i.e. he'd be entitled to the full amount owing on the contract.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
But you're not figuring in that a deal or agreement might already be in place regarding LvG leaving by mutual consent. They may have offered him his final year payment to step aside without losing face after the final, whatever happens, quoting personal reasons or some such bullshit. Perhaps all three parties, LvG, the club and Mourinho have known for a while that this will be the final outcome and that's why no-one seems to be panicking. City screwed up with the overly-early Pep announcement and I thought it was immensely disrespectful to the wookie. Also, maybe Mourinho was tied down to his Chelsea release deal until the end of the season on gardening leave or something. There's also the Wall Street announcement factor to consider.

Confident there will be an announcement in the days after the FA Cup final that allows everyone to come out of this happy.
There could be a deal, but i doubt it, look at the reports/threats from mendes clients for not joining united. Look at how some clubs are linked to jose. I think Woodward might have done an agreement with Mendes but i doubt he would do it with yhe manager as then it puts LVG motivation into question. Why would he plan for pre season? New player scoutung? youth players contracts and roles? Its just like with moyes, you leave the manager in dark.You ask him to do his job. Moyes scouted kroos remember? He dint know he was gone till the morning while he was sacked by the papers at night. I think the deal with LVG is still to be done.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I'd be pretty interested to know which facet of contract law says that. We can enter into agreements with whomever we want. The issue that would arise, however, would be from the employment law side of things regarding LVG's contract. If, for example, it could be proven that we had entered into an agreement with a third party for the role he currently then he could argue anything from constructive/unfair dismissal to arguing that we have breached/frustrated his contract and, as such, are no longer able to avail ourselves of the protections provided by that agreement(s) i.e. he'd be entitled to the full amount owing on the contract.
You are absolutely correct that is why i say there is no formal contract with mou till Lvg contract is terminated.Even if we sign a contract with mou right now it is void in the eyes of law. Lvg will be due damages

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Has everybody forgotten about Mourinho's court date with the doctor too? Maybe we don't want him officially recognised as the manager until that's been sorted.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I can't believe people are still pining over fecking RVP, Nani, and Evans. Christ almighty.
Exactly. These players have gone and won't be returning. Get over it.
I don't care what Evans does now, he is history (for us).
We need to focus on our future and how to improve and get back to winning ways.

Brophs

The One and Only
You are absolutely correct that is why i say there is no formal contract with mou till Lvg contract is terminated.Even if we sign a contract with mou right now it is void in the eyes of law. Lvg will be due damages
No, that's not correct. If it was void LVG would not be entitled to damages as he would not have suffered an actionable loss or damage.

Any agreement with Mourinho would be perfectly enforceable notwithstanding that the performance of such an agreement (i.e by hiring Mourinho) would have knock on effects for the terms, performance and potential termination of LVG's own contract (in short, LVG would have one of number of causes of action).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Out of interest, is this the longest thread for a managerial appointment?
When Fergie was retiring, was there a "who will be our next manager" thread? And if so how long did that get?

Status
Not open for further replies.