BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
:lol:

You do know that Pep has beaten Mourinho in almost every meeting?
Incorrect.

15 matches: seven wins for Guardiola (including the Supercopa = Charity Shield), three for Mourinho and five draws. Less than half ≠ almost every.

Mourinho won the Copa del Rey (at Real Madrid) against Pep, and reached the Champions League final (at Internazionale) over Guardiola, and the away win at the Nou Camp in 2012 essentially sealed the La Liga for Real Madrid. He was pretty decisive once he got used to the league, not to mention - Pep did have a superior and more settled squad with continuity working in his favor while Mourinho had to come to terms with his Madrid team after taking charge in 2010.

Revan

Assumptionman
I wonder what'll become of Mata. Didn't the two of them have a fairly public falling out at Chelsea a couple of years ago? That's what led to him joining United isn't it? Mourinho not playing him because he didn't do the defensive work.
I don't think that it was a public falling. Just that Mourinho preferred Oscar, and left Mata in bench for most of the matches, which made Mata leave the club.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Quite funny this considering the hate towards him in the 2004-2007 period and even beyond. I remember when we played Inter and beat them 2-0 everyone was singing ''sit down mouriniho''. Then there was that chant about him needing to keep our trophy glistening.

There is even that song ''feck off Mouriniho you son of a bitch''

That said, when there is somebody who is so widely disliked it works much better when he is one of you. We had it for years with Ferguson, Keane.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I can't believe the negativity toward Mourinho. Yes you may have thought he was a cnut in the past, but so did many about Roy Keane. He'll be our cnut! Our trophy winning cnut.

Mate, I wonder if many of our fans even remember Keano or what the 1994 double winners were like.

The way some people talk about United you would think Fergie filled the club with choirboys.

The lads that took us back to the top in 1993 were a bunch of hard nuts. Each and every one of them was happy to play dirty to win. Sparky would happily flail an elbow when going up for a header. Incey was more than happy to go through on someone. As was the softly spoken Bryan Robson. Cantona, Keano... :lol:

All these posters fretting that Mourinho's going to make us 'nasty'. I hope he does. We need some grit and determination. At times, since Fergie left, even our most experience players have looked like little boys lost. A bit of fire in the belly might get us back to where we belong.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Im no native English speaker but am I the only one to find these two sentences contradicting?
No. First sentence says if not Mourinho, it'll be giggs as manager.

Second sentence says if it is Mourinho, then giggs won't be his assistant.

Oo0AahCantona

This is basically poetry in terms of the football narrative. Pep Vs Mourinho, Old Vs New. the special one, who allways wanted the big job, loved sir alex, and was respected by him. Its the only option we could take in response to city.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Mourinho's often had experienced players well accustomed to their leagues, and good/great players coming into their prime years when he's kicked them on into tangible success. Massive challenge for him to get similar mileage out of our squad, especially if the rest of the top 6 straighten up.

Silverman

Can't wait for signings like Kalou, Johnson, Ivanovic, Falcao and Pedro. What a record this man has.

He's only fallen out with players like Mata, Ronaldo, Casillas and Fabregas as well.
What about signings like Drogba, Costa, Carvalho, Willian and Essien?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Which of those magnificent players made a name for himself?
Well if the manager doesn't give them a chance they will hardly make a name am I right?

Don't make me sound like the evil witch of the west. Im thrilled by the news. However all managers have weaknesses and developing youths is Mou weakness

TBF Mou has lead 3 of the most difficult clubs in football, clubs who wanted instant success and wouldn't settle for less than that year after year. That's hardly an environment to develop youths in

Kant-ona

Three thoughts

(a) Maybe this is the reason why the players found some shape again. Maybe they know that Van Gaal is past. And maybe Van Gaal knows it as well and ended his "possession at any price" philosophy.

(b) Must be weird, no: very weird for Chelsea fans.

(c) Would be not the worst decision, although I do hope that Jose had some time to recover and charged his battery again. He definetly knows a few things about football and how to succeed, but he really seemed to be lost and maniac in his least days at Chelsea - even by his standards.

Sir A1ex

Quite funny this considering the hate towards him in the 2004-2007 period and even beyond. I remember when we played Inter and beat them 2-0 everyone was singing ''sit down mouriniho''. Then there was that chant about him needing to keep our trophy glistening.
To be fair, neither of those songs are actually offensive - would have been sung to any manager.

There is even that song ''feck off Mouriniho you son of a bitch''
That one more so, but I honestly don't remember it. What tune?

Litch

Can't wait for signings like Kalou, Johnson, Ivanovic, Falcao and Pedro. What a record this man has.

He's only fallen out with players like Mata, Ronaldo, Casillas and Fabregas as well.
Lol. SAF Fell out with Stam, Keane, RVN, Becks, Ince.....and signed some sh1t too. Don't be so selective in order to make your argument fit!!

soapythecat

What a bullshit article which, funny enough, is before this weekends big game with Chelsea. BBC have posted loads of gash before so why buy it now? Some desperate folk on here. LvG will be here next season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No. First sentence says if not Mourinho, it'll be giggs as manager.

Second sentence says if it is Mourinho, then giggs won't be his assistant.
So we're not completely out of the woods yet regarding Giggs

Comeon Gaz we all know you can do worse!! Just get an inspiration from Game of Throne and take the eight

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ah ok. I remember Mata being subbed off for Chelsea during a game against Southampton and being unhappy about it but not the details. Mata's a better player than Oscar for me so it was an odd decision. It'll still be interesting to see how Mourinho uses him at United.

Hammerfell

It's like people are happy to forget about the most humiliating period of Jose's career. Let's just not think about that and all the trophies will be ours.
Did you just gloss over all the posts that proved that statement wrong because you don't want him here?

Classical Mechanic

This is basically poetry in terms of the football narrative. Pep Vs Mourinho, Old Vs New. the special one, who allways wanted the big job, loved sir alex, and was respected by him. Its the only option we could take in response to city.
Do you really buy that this is a reaction to to Pep. It has been rumoured that LVG was leaving this summer for a number of weeks now and it is fanciful to believe that we haven't known that Pep would be going to City for a good while too.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

It's obvious he only signed Pedro to stop us signing him, and as he knew United would be his next job (you see he was planning this all along), he didn't want to be landed with Pedro.

hehe

Eddy_JukeZ

Great news. A motivated Mourinho with full backing and full power. I see us returning to the top with him in charge.

Utd7

Our visit to Stamford Bridge next season is going to be interesting to say the least. If we win, I expect to see him celebrate on the touch line like he did at OT years ago.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lukaku and de Bruyne.
They weren't from the academy (which was my point to devilish response about Chelsea's magnificent academy), but yes, they were young players who clearly were going to become top players. As clearly as Pique and Pogba, who weren't given the chance by perhaps the greatest manager ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.