g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shock horror you are in Bruno’s thread after a bad performance.
Have you also bothered criticising Pogba’s performance, you know the player you regularly worship despite so many bad/mediocre performances?
And how about giving McT some credit for today as you mostly repeatedly post crap about him?
I don’t worship or hate any of our players. They are all replaceable employees. I care about the club. I’ll still be here long after Bruno has gone.

lsd

The Oracle
Not exactly Cantona. Needs to learn how to dictate even when he is being marked well. Eric was excellent at dragging his marker all over the pitch and still getting into the right area at the right time

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's always a problem with Bruno in big games, there is no space for him to operate and he gets marked out of the game. I would love to see how a more tactically astute manager would position him in games such as these.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Was almost as bad as Rashford yesterday it needs to be said. His passing is also worse than I thought.

Anduin

I have no idea how he could let Villarreal go first in the penalties, it ultimately cost us dearly. Such an incredible stupid thing to do, I couldn't believe it when I saw him pointing to Albiol to go first.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Pogba and Bruno were nowhere to be seen. Absolutely awful from our two supposed world class players.

Stacks

Not everyone has to score and assist loads. A team that controls a game and can move the ball around will create more chances and score goals.
I hear ya but the players would need to actually make the killer pass. I seen plenty teams just pass the ball around aimlessly with no killer pass. LVG gave me nightmares to controlling games. Pep is the only dude I can think of who does this well and he still had Xavi, Iniesta, De Bruyne, Kroos, Ribbery, Robben, Alvez, Messi so basically exceptional chance creators all over to make it work. We literally have no one so we would go back to a Jose team. I would like to see Bruno tried under a different manager/philosophy soon.
‘Type of player’. David Silva even. I’d take his fewer goals and assists ahead of Bruno personally.
Not sure it would work because we don't have the most consistent goal scorers. We would need our frontline to become super reliable. That said, no one really claimed Bruno was better than Silva to be fair

Sylar

He like many players does not look fresh at all. He didn't have a good game but you can see him trying. That fatigue leads to a lot of erratic play

The management of his playing time hasn't been great and that might be because the alternatives are not good but this is the second season in a row we've limped near the finish line rather than finishing strong

Marwood

Bruno needs space.

He's not particularly quick footed and physically doesn't worry anyone.

So a congested game doesn't suit him.

What doesn't help is our inability as a team to get that first goal and make the opposition come at us.

If we could do that on a more regular basis Bruno would get the room he needs to do his stuff.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Bruno has enough credit in the bank to cover this, but his form has been really poor recently. Anonymous last night. I can always respect the hustle and desire from him, but he is guilty of over complicating things and trying to do too much himself.

Rajma

I have no idea how he could let Villarreal go first in the penalties, it ultimately cost us dearly. Such an incredible stupid thing to do, I couldn't believe it when I saw him pointing to Albiol to go first.
He most likely doesn’t know statistics and this is not a responsibility of any player to be aware of this, if anyone is to blame is our stupid coaching staff for not doing their preparations and instructing Bruno beforehand. Every little detail like that matters in high stake games. We have clowns in charge let’s be clear on this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bruno needs space.

He's not particularly quick footed and physically doesn't worry anyone.

So a congested game doesn't suit him.

What doesn't help is our inability as a team to get that first goal and make the opposition come at us.

If we could do that on a more regular basis Bruno would get the room he needs to do his stuff.
And how we go about creating that space that he needs is the first step to progressing this team. I’m not even mad at him. It is a ridiculous approach to football to just hope he pulls something out every game. Our passing and moving is shit.

Even Scott McTominay who everyone is applauding. All these 40 yard runs is not the answer. The idea is to be able to move the ball quickly from one place to another. You shouldn’t need to literally carry it there yourself all the time!

Andersons Dietician

Last night just highlighted how bad his movement or lack of is. The weird thing is he constantly has some of the best distance stats in the team but the amount of time he spends just standing behind players not giving the midfield an option is a problem. He wants everything over the top and he does make runs like that but part of our problem is he doesn’t make offers in midfield to move the ball up which is the same problem with Pogba which is why those two will never work together centrally.

Either one goes, one plays out wide or they change their game massively. What Mata, VDB and Matic were doing against Wolves is what Bruno and Pogba need to start doing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Wow he was horrific last night like absolutely terrible. He’s given free reign to go where he likes, do what he likes, lose the ball as often as he wants....no wonder his stats are through the roof. His performances since December have been really poor. His stats mask his performances for now. His performances will hinder the team due to his role if he doesn’t sort them out. Like he benefits in the way he plays but the team don’t.

Giggsy13

One thing we cannot take for granted is Bruno. He’s been run into the ground this season and we need a bigger squad to ensure he’s fresh over the course of a season. He is clearly our best player.

We should also be worried if we have another trophy-less season. I think at that point Bruno may just put in a transfer request and one of Barca or Madrid will pounce.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t really get the criticism of him about last night. We’re so reliant on him it’s ridiculous. Villareal knew this and did everything possible to mark him out of the game. Their two CMs spent the whole game on his back, so much so he ended up having to constantly drift out to the wings to try and find even a yard of space. Despite this, when we did get on top for that thirty minute spell in the second half it was Bruno at the centre of everything positive we did.

If some of our other supposedly creative midfielders (i.e. the baby elephant in the room) were even half as capable as he is at unlocking defences then we could have made Villareal regret double teaming Bruno the way they did, by exploiting the extra time and space available to the rest of our team. Unfortunately they weren’t, so we didn’t. Blaming Bruno for this is silly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The real question you should asking is where the feck would we be without him?
Oh definitely! No doubt. This isn't meant to shift the blame on him or anything like that. But as you implied there, he's clearly a very integral player for us, but I can't think of the last time he really had a stand-out game. It's worrying because we're so reliant on him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don’t really get the criticism of him about last night. We’re so reliant on him it’s ridiculous. Villareal knew this and did everything possible to mark him out of the game. Their two CMs spent the whole game on his back, so much so he ended up having to constantly drift out to the wings to try and find even a yard of space. Despite this, when we did get on top for that thirty minute spell in the second half it was Bruno at the centre of everything positive we did.

If some of our other supposedly creative midfielders (i.e. the baby elephant in the room) were even half as capable as he is at unlocking defences then we could have made Villareal regret double teaming Bruno the way they did, by exploiting the extra time and space available to the rest of our team. Unfortunately they weren’t, so we didn’t. Blaming Bruno for this is silly.
Granted, I haven't seen all the replies in this thread (and I can only speak for myself, I guess) but it's not so much "blaming" as in asking a genuine question, really. I think his overall performances have been quite poor for some time, now. And yes, where we would be without him is anyone's guess. But his form has dropped off a cliff for a few weeks/months now, IMO.

He is the least of our problems in the main, but he was really poor last night, and whilst this defeat is obviously not his fault, it's a fair criticism when he's the player you look to the most.

Giggsy13

Oh definitely! No doubt. This isn't meant to shift the blame on him or anything like that. But as you implied there, he's clearly a very integral player for us, but I can't think of the last time he really had a stand-out game. It's worrying because we're so reliant on him.
Fair point! Ole has been overly reliant on him and run him into the ground this season. Bruno will want to leave at this point if it continues. Imagine losing our best player in years because of Ole.

Zlatattack

And how we go about creating that space that he needs is the first step to progressing this team. I’m not even mad at him. It is a ridiculous approach to football to just hope he pulls something out every game. Our passing and moving is shit.

Even Scott McTominay who everyone is applauding. All these 40 yard runs is not the answer. The idea is to be able to move the ball quickly from one place to another. You shouldn’t need to literally carry it there yourself all the time!
We've had this problem for a long time. Against teams parking the bus we are static. We don't move enough without the ball to create spaces for passes to come into. Scotts action man runs were needed to get the ball forwards because there were no options open for a pass. At times the guys actually did move well, but at other times, they were just static. We didn't see the small triangles moving the ball up the pitch. Barcelona used to be excellent at that, but even Wengers Arsenal were quite good at it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I feel like he lets his frustration get over him too easily. He loses focus once he feels (rightly or wrongly) that the ref isn't giving the team the right calls.

SAFMUTD

He fecked It up big time when winning the toss giving Villarreal the first penalty. That's an amateur mistake, every one knows statistically you have to take the first penalty. When choosing second you fecked twice, because you're not only shooting second but the other team will choose the side of the pitch which will be where theyre fans at.

Yesterday I thought we had lost the toss and thought why the hell this Bruno choose that side of the pitch. Well turns out he won but feck it up.

Shark

@NotShark
I feel like he lets his frustration get over him too easily. He loses focus once he feels (rightly or wrongly) that the ref isn't giving the team the right calls.
This is it totally, if he learned to calm himself down a tad he'd be a lot better off in these kind of games. Gets way too worked up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's always a problem with Bruno in big games, there is no space for him to operate and he gets marked out of the game. I would love to see how a more tactically astute manager would position him in games such as these.
I think he should play more in the left or right pockets. Usually he plays in the space between Greenwood, Wan Bissaka and Cavani. Too often he's waiting in the middle of the pitch marked, or dropping too deep that makes him ineffective.

The few times he did make those sort of moves he got in behind and played a nice cross for Rashford who missed an easy chance.

Redlyn

He fecked It up big time when winning the toss giving Villarreal the first penalty. That's an amateur mistake, every one knows statistically you have to take the first penalty. When choosing second you fecked twice, because you're not only shooting second but the other team will choose the side of the pitch which will be where theyre fans at.

Yesterday I thought we had lost the toss and thought why the hell this Bruno choose that side of the pitch. Well turns out he won but feck it up.
Apparently there were 2 tosses. One for side and other for who goes first. He lost the side toss and fecked up who goes first.

SAFMUTD

Apparently there were 2 tosses. One for side and other for who goes first. He lost the side toss and fecked up who goes first.
How is that possible? I thought it was the winner of the toss choose who kicks first and the loser choose side. I think its the "fairest" way to do it, other wise a team could lose both tosses and end up kicking second and on the other side of the pitch.

Redlyn

How is that possible? I thought it was the winner of the toss choose who kicks first and the loser choose side. I think its the "fairest" way to do it, other wise a team could lose both tosses and end up kicking second and on the other side of the pitch.
Well I guess there is no hard and fast rule. Just don't lose both tosses.

Craig Ward

Not a great game, but think the criticisms are a bit OTT.

Bruno needs space. Villareal literally whacked 2 men on him for the whole game.

The bigger issue rather than the easy out is looking at our shape and how we manage the ball from the back upto a creative area.

CB - Neither CB are good with the ball, we used it so slowly and predictably. Always a short pass or a backwards pass.
CM - McTom and Pogba didn't use the ball well. Too deep, too slow. We made it so easy to defend against. McTom had a brilliant game by his standards, but he still didnt really do a lot with the ball to help us get on the front foot.

So when you compound 2 CB's who take an age with the ball only to give a simple pass and 2 CM's who didnt control the game or use the ball well - what chance do our attacking players have of making an influence? By the time the ball gets to Bruno - Villareal are so compact and ready he can do very little with it.

Bruno is not the issue - it's slow / laboured build up play. We want to play out from the back - but we dont play with an attacking intent. How many passes through the lines did either CB or CM make whole game? Very little.

I felt for our attackers last night - Rashford/Bruno/Greenwood were always marked tightly/double marked. Little to no service to Cavani.

This is why our biggest issue in the summer transfer window is CB and CM. We have to have better players in these areas.

Bruno had an off night - combination of several things like i've mentioned above and he was sloppy when he did have the ball.

mu4c_20le

Not a great game, but think the criticisms are a bit OTT.

Bruno needs space. Villareal literally whacked 2 men on him for the whole game.
Everybody needs space. Give Lingard some space and see what he can do.

A lot of people had an off game, so I won't hold it against him. But when he isn't providing a direct assist, his link up play and overall game isn't that great. He made zero key passes and was relegated to hopeful crosses from the flanks.

Craig Ward

Everybody needs space. Give Lingard some space and see what he can do.

A lot of people had an off game, so I won't hold it against him. But when he isn't providing a direct assist, his link up play and overall game isn't that great. He made zero key passes and was relegated to hopeful crosses from the flanks.
Lingards track record proves otherwise. Taken a little out of context but I get your response IMO

Fernandes couldnt get a hold of the game. We rely on him heavily and Villareal ensured we was marked out the game. It's on us for not playing well enough to either get Bruno in the game, or find another way

He'sRaldo

After his explosive start, it was always a case of wait and see how good he really is once teams catch on to him.

Given that he is given such freedom both in terms of positioning on the pitch and with set pieces, his numbers will always be great for a team like Utd with talented players around him. But whether he is actually performing at the level that warrants such freedom is another matter.

From what I've seen of Bruno the past year, he's definitely not someone to build around and offer such freedom. Someone like Grealish or prime Hazard who could beat defenses on their own could get that honour sure, but Bruno isn't good enough for that.

It's not his fault at all, as he seems like the type of personality that would prefer being a cog in the system as long as the team wins. It's up to Ole to ensure that the team is structured to get the best out of every player and not just pander to a few individual players, something which he has failed to do.

Just like Rashford, Bruno's role needs to be reduced going forward with a focus being more on the collective, rather than having a superman who can get xxx stats from "midfield". Once we do that, we'll be a much better and more consistent team.

Revan

Assumptionman
That was really braindead, seriously pissed me off. It is self-sabotage.

MattofManchester

That was really braindead, seriously pissed me off. It is self-sabotage.
Whether first or second, we were never winning that shootout. We have a Goalkeeper whose largest weakness comes down to balls in and around his area and being able to save penalties.

I imagine he's not a superstitious dude, so didn't care much for whether we went first or second.

The ridiculous nature of most of these posts is quite baffling.

Going first or second was so very irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, yet here people are, nitpicking on irrelevance.

jem

Pretty underwhelming second half of the season from Bruno. Hopefully the Euros helps him recover his form for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.