6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Whats strange is that he delivers some passes that are abismaly poor while having the quality to make some superb ones. I mean you could make a compilation of the greatest and poorest passes of the league in a single game by Bruno.

To be clear Im not talking about passing success percentaje, Im talking about quality in the pass itself. For example there are some through balls you see and know that eventhough it didnt find the player it was a close to it. While others are completely awful and had no chance of finding the player. Its hard to judge this because there is not stat about it.

If we had to grade his passes I'd say he makes a lot of 4's and 5's quality passes and suddenly a 10. While players with the quality to make the assists he makes are usually more consistent with around solid 7s and 8s. Anyway its great to have him, even when he plays poor he finds the way to score or assist.
It is nothing strange.

His technical ability is not as good as his football brain/vision sometimes.

Mr PG

16 goals and 12 assists in 30 matches for us. 28 goal contributions is mental. Guy is a G/A animal
In addition to the 16 goals/12 assists is the half-assists not counted like the backpost fk for Matic's assist for Maguire goal against Brighton or layoff to Martial in the box for his penalty foul etc..etc

PitTon

He is always having a quick look up/ over his shoulder before (he knows he'll be) receiving the ball. He did it again with the pass for Rashford's 1st. I like how he plays a bit deeper than before as he can show a lot more to his games and still very much influences the game.

Mr PG

He barely misplaced a pass against PSG. So he can take care of the ball when he wants to. Probably recognizes urgency is a priority in the premier league where teams sit deep...even at the risk of misplacing a pass here n there.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think a 3 behind him (Fred McT Pogba/VDB) is best for him as it lets him take risks. Let him miss some passes, he tends to make 2+ one on ones for Martial/Rashford each game (or he scores himself).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Whats strange is that he delivers some passes that are abismaly poor while having the quality to make some superb ones. I mean you could make a compilation of the greatest and poorest passes of the league in a single game by Bruno.

To be clear Im not talking about passing success percentaje, Im talking about quality in the pass itself. For example there are some through balls you see and know that eventhough it didnt find the player it was a close to it. While others are completely awful and had no chance of finding the player. Its hard to judge this because there is not stat about it.

If we had to grade his passes I'd say he makes a lot of 4's and 5's quality passes and suddenly a 10. While players with the quality to make the assists he makes are usually more consistent with around solid 7s and 8s. Anyway its great to have him, even when he plays poor he finds the way to score or assist.
Giggs also used to be incredibly inconsistent with his passing, it's not unusual at all I don't think in players who like to try and force things in the attacking 3rd.

SAFMUTD

It is nothing strange.

His technical ability is not as good as his football brain/vision sometimes.
I think thats the perfect way to describe him, his vision/creativity is worldclass while his technique is average/good.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think thats the perfect way to describe him, his vision/creativity is worldclass while his technique is average/good.
Average? Wow. His technique, while inconsistent, is world class.

Giggs also used to be incredibly inconsistent with his passing, it's not unusual at all I don't think in players who like to try and force things in the attacking 3rd.
Giggs in his later years is actually a very good comparison to Bruno. Obviously Bruno is fitter, but both wouldtake risks and look forward.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's the worst description of a player I've ever heard. His technique is fantastic, like @MikeKing said it can be inconsistent. You can't pull off what Fernandes does with regularity if you only have average/good technique.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You could say its a lapse of concentration, maybe thinking too far ahead of himself and not concentrating on the actual task.

His "technique" is brilliant, but he'll sometimes rush it, perhaps his timing could be better.

I think the RBL game summed him up perfectly. Played a beautiful through ball to Rashford, but then messed up an easy pass for Pogba and got the timing wrong with Cavani, but still made us win the game through being a tornado on the pitch.

He will mess things up every game, but he always makes something happen which is all that matters.

SAFMUTD

It's the worst description of a player I've ever heard. His technique is fantastic, like @MikeKing said it can be inconsistent. You can't pull off what Fernandes does with regularity if you only have average/good technique.
Worldclass is not a slight term and shouldnt be used with ease.

Word class technique is what Messi, Kross, KDB have, Bruno is not on that level. Im not taking anything from him, I think he's fantastic but its clear his vision ability surpases all his other qualities.

Im not saying this to demeritate his other attributes but to highlight his vision/creativity.

cyberman

Exactly. He just tries to force openings through but he will get there over the 90 mins.
Feck me if he had so much room to improve he would be getting 2 assists and a goal eveey game

AltiUn

Word class technique is what Messi, Kross, KDB have, Bruno is not on that level. Im not taking anything from him, I think he's fantastic but its clear his vision ability surpases all his other qualities.

Im not saying this to demeritate his other attributes but to highlight his vision/creativity.
It might not be as good as some others but it's certainly not fecking average :lol: not taking anything away from him? You're taking a huge amount away from him when you say he has average technique.

The United

You could say its a lapse of concentration, maybe thinking too far ahead of himself and not concentrating on the actual task.

His "technique" is brilliant, but he'll sometimes rush it, perhaps his timing could be better.

I think the RBL game summed him up perfectly. Played a beautiful through ball to Rashford, but then messed up an easy pass for Pogba and got the timing wrong with Cavani, but still made us win the game through being a tornado on the pitch.

He will mess things up every game, but he always makes something happen which is all that matters.
Exactly. His executing could be better or it is not ridiculous to say it is not as good as his vision.

Not that I am complaining. But, it is not too strange to see his passes can be hit or miss in a matter of a few minutes because of it.

The_Midfielder

How do you define technique? Bruno is as effective as KDB...Was Lampard not world class?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Bruno's technical ability, on the average, might be less refined than other world class players but you could say the same about Ronaldo vs Messi. Should technique and aesthetics alone define who is the better player? Certainly not. It's all about style. Lets compare him to De Bruyne. Bruno wouldn't be able to put up the numbers that he does, if he wasn't comparable to him in class. It's that simple. Both are world class, and I'd argue De Bruyne is even less consistent than Bruno. Bruno is trying to create more often than him and it pays off, so despite maybe being less effective or refined in his moments, he still delivers the same output. When De Bruyne drifts out of the game, and let others do their thing Bruno tends to still be there trying stuff, even if it doesn't come off. He is a very dominant player in that way, and a constant threat you can never take your eye off. It matters, even if it's frustrating for fans when a simple pass goes astray in certain moments.

I don't think you can be too definite based on just a style. If you did you could make the case that David Silva is world class but De Bruyne wasn't, based on the fact that technically he was more consistent even though he was was not able to put up the same numbers consistently.

eire-red

I'm actually a bit gobsmacked at the amount of people complaining about the 'sloppy' passes he makes every now and then. The guy literally provides either a goal or an assist almost every game.

Would you rather Lingard or Pereira in there, who I bet have great statistics for their short, simple passing accuracy? For me, I'll take the guy who creates and influences every game he plays, and shows leadership always on the pitch.

Just look at the Newcastle game, that goal he scored to make it 2-1 after having a beauty ruled out for offside and missing a pen. His mentality is elite, his numbers are elite, his influence and leadership is elite. Are we really saying he's not WC because of a few misplaced passes, or because he's not as technical as David Silva for example?

Look at the difference on Wednesday when he came on vs RB Leipzig. He's WC, and our best player at the moment. Him and Rashford are quite a bit out in front of everyone else, with Bruno just ahead of him.

SAFMUTD

How do you define technique? Bruno is as effective as KDB...Was Lampard not world class?
As I said in a post before its really hard to classify technique this because there's no stat that measures pass "quality", theres the pass efectiveness but thats another thing.

At the end of the day its a matter of opinion, but as I said before Bruno makes some wonderful passes and some pretty poor ones, thats why I say his vision is worldclass since he spots great chances but his execution, while great, its not on the same level.

Shiva87

I'm surprised at the debate here focusing on his missed passes. It is clear that he has elite level movement, vision and attitude. His technical quality is also top notch. Look at some of the moments he has created in less than 10 months at the club. Off the top of my head - Newcastle goal, city assist for Martial, Everton goal, Brighton counter attack goal, etc. He can take free kicks (I think he has scored a couple of those as well), corners, shoot from range, find a through ball. Practically he can do everything in the final third. Yes, he misplaces some passes but that does not make him technically average.

His misplacing of passes is clearly a consequence of him trying stuff all the time. It can be frustrating but looks brilliant when it comes off. For e.g. Rashford's first goal against Leipzig does not happen without Bruno's presence of mind. He just gets the ball out into space without a first touch to control. If he takes that touch and settles himself, Rashford is off side. Does it make the pass look 'weird' - yes. Some would say his body position is all wrong to get that pass right. But he gets an assist. 2 of 3 times he doesn't connect with the ball correctly with that body shape. But the one time he will - it will be an assist.

His presence has made Pogba dispensable to our team - which was not the case last year (first half last season is proof). I hope our own fans start appreciating how good he is (without looking flashy). If we win some trophies with this squad - he will most likely be in the shortlist for some individual awards.

SAFMUTD

It might not be as good as some others but it's certainly not fecking average :lol: not taking anything away from him? You're taking a huge amount away from him when you say he has average technique.
When youre not as good as others you cant be worldclass. Worldclass means top of the chain.

I didnt said average, I said average/good techinque. Which means above average but not between the best.

I think thats the reason why eventhough he has some poor games he somehow always manage to get on the scoresheet. He can have an awful game missing all kind of passes but you just know ultimately his vision is going to provide something special.

AltiUn

When youre not as good as others you cant be worldclass. Worldclass means top of the chain.

I didnt said average, I said average/good techinque. Which means above average but not between the best.

I think thats the reason why eventhough he has some poor games he somehow always manage to get on the scoresheet. He can have an awful game missing all kind of passes but you just know ultimately his vision is going to provide something special.
Like I've said multiple times now, you can't consistently pull off what Fernandes does with just good/average technique. It's in the bracket below world class but it's still elite. Jesse Lingard would be a good example of someone with average/good technique.

SAFMUTD

Like I've said multiple times now, you can't consistently pull off what Fernandes does with just good/average technique. It's in the bracket below world class but it's still elite. Jesse Lingard would be a good example of someone with average/good technique.
Lets just agree to disagree then, I wouldnt call Lingard anywhere near good, Id call him poor/average at best.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The "extreme" wastefulness is being overstated now. It's really not that bad, no more consistently than other attacking midfielders.

RooneyLegend

According to WhoScored, Bruno's passing success rate is 79.8 per cent and James' is 86.1 per cent. James' is better but its not so different.

As an aside Kevin De Bruyne's passing success rate is 80 per cent. So Bruno and De Bruyne are a rounding figure away from each other. Yet nobody acts as if DeBruyne is misplacing passes left, right and centre.

Bruno Fernandes brings so much to this team. It seems strange to me to put his appetite for risk under a microscope. Especially in a week when his willingness to try the things others wouldn't led to an assist for Rashford that was out of this world.
Bruno's career passing % is 75 while Rodriguez's is 85.7. That's a huge difference no matter how you look at it. Messi's is 83.7 and Ozil is at 86.3. KDB is at 79 and he can also be sloppy despite people not acknowledging it. He's the lowest by a fair margin and let's not act like you don't know why given you as a United fan you watch every game of his.

It's not like all his misplaced passes are difficult eye of the needle passes either. A lot of them are regulation simple plays. Some of the is just general poor decision making. He needs to improve that of he's that become one of the best players in that he world.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
It's unbelieveable how good he's been for us.

I do hope that playing for Manchester United midfield won't change him like it has changed Pogba, for example, and he's become average, never proved his talent etc.

Bruno Fernandes has been amazing and I much much more than surprised to be honest.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno's career passing % is 75 while Rodriguez's is 85.7. That's a huge difference no matter how you look at it.
It's not. Percentage just shows huge difference when average passes per game shows that Bruno makes 3 more misplaced passes than James per game.

Bruno - Inaccurate passes per game - 9.7 passes
James - Inaccurate passes per game - 6.4 passes

They won't be playing 100 passes per game, so going by their career averages, Bruno misplaces 3 passes per game more than James.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Average? Wow. His technique, while inconsistent, is world class.
The most important measure of technique is consistency. How consistently can you get your first touch right? People who can get it right 90% of the time are better than those who can get it right 70% of the time, almost always. Someone who can control it in a range of exotic ways can close that gap slightly, but not much, it just isn't as important. And it tends to be the case that the players who can do pull off the exotic touches most consistently are also the ones with the more consistent first touch in general, they just go for the simple touch more often because they are better at getting into the position to not have to try high risk moves.

Agree with the Gerrard comparison myself. He was capable of more exceptional technical moments than Scholes but minute by minute his technique was less reliable. Bruno is unreliable in that sense and always will be, because his technique is at least one level below the best.

Kag

Nope, Rodriguez is easily as creative as him and doesn't misplace easy passes left right and centre.
Rodriguez doesn’t have it. Which is why he’s at Everton and generally flatters to deceive at the big clubs.

Bruno has it: the intangible ability to transform the team at a club the size of United. There isn’t many of those people knocking around.

cyberman

Rodriguez doesn’t have it. Which is why he’s at Everton and generally flatters to deceive at the big clubs.

Bruno has it: the intangible ability to transform the team at a club the size of United. There isn’t many of those people knocking around.
Bruno also has an average of 1 goal contribution per game for us. Theres no reason to delve tok deeply into this, numbers alone shows hes one of the most creative AM in the world.

Mr PG

Bruno imho is a better player than Paul Scholes was...his stats alone back that up...but not as good a passer. Misplaced passes have little effect on us when he attempts and completes so many. KDB is more tidy but will end up with similar or less numbers to Bruno. Bruno does everything at 100mph.

JPB

I bet the same people moaning about Bruno used to be the same people who would moan about Nani. It's unbelievable. It doesn't matter if you you loose the ball while taking risks. If you do, you just try again. Eventually it will pay off for them. Two absolutely brilliant players.

Status
Not open for further replies.