Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bruno and Rashford usually link up well but Bruno’s passing was really poor yesterday. Anywhere near his best and he’d have played Marcus through a couple of times. VDB has yet to show any sign of actually having the eye for a killer pass at all so if we were to drop Bruno, it would probably leave McTominay as our most creative midfielder!
Yeh I don’t want Bruno dropped really I want Rashford dropped. I do stand by you can’t really play them together because both are too wasteful.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When it became apparent that we were going with a 4-2-2-2, I said it could be problematic because, as an interior(10) in the system, you need to be press resistant and Bruno isn't. He's very weak.

I listed the interiores the likes of Wenger and Pellegrini have used, and, like Sancho, they're what we need. Players who can hold the ball under pressure, carry it forwards, produce quick 180/360 turns to leave opponents for dead and get us moving when receiving the ball in half spaces.

Problem is, bar Sancho, we don't really have anyone so, yes, Bruno needs dropping, but for who?

Our other two best options for the interior are Pogba and Martial, and neither are available. In regards to Martial, it probably wouldn't matter if he was available as his heads gone from Manchester.

Donny and Lingard are too weak. Amad and Elanga probably aren't ready. Maybe Greenwood, but you want your interiores to help dictate a game and link the midfield to the attack, and, right now, Greenwood drifts out of games too often so he'd be better suited to one of the CFs who drift wide when the interior cuts in.

luke511

When it became apparent that we were going with a 4-2-2-2, I said it could be problematic because, as an interior(10) in the system, you need to be press resistant and Bruno isn't. He's very weak.

I listed the interiores the likes of Wenger and Pellegrini have used, and, like Sancho, they're what we need. Players who can hold the ball under pressure, carry it forwards, produce quick 180/360 turns to leave opponents for dead and get us moving when receiving the ball in half spaces.

Problem is, bar Sancho, we don't really have anyone so, yes, Bruno needs dropping, but for who?

Our other two best options for the interior are Pogba and Martial, and neither are available. In regards to Martial, it probably wouldn't matter if he was available as his heads gone from Manchester.

Donny and Lingard are too weak. Amad and Elanga probably aren't ready. Maybe Greenwood, but you want your interiores to help dictate a game and link the midfield to the attack, and, right now, Greenwood drifts out of games too often so he'd be better suited to one of the CFs who drift wide when the interior cuts in.
Sancho and Amad has big potential, both wide playmakers that keep it tidy. I'd love to see them given a proper run of games with 2 of Ronaldo, Greenwood, Bruno and Cavani in front of them.

allen7

Bruno is a wonderful player and it’s only a matter of time he adapts to this formation and tactics. To me, he is in a transition period of doing crazy skills and passes to a controlled style of team play.

Litch

Still say Ronaldo coming turned Bruno into the one that plays for Portugal. No longer can he play like a false 9, no longer solely on free kicks and penalties. In general no longer the main player but now a cog amongst cogs. You can only get away with losing the ball 33 times if you are assisting or scoring. Bruno's problem is if he's not doing either, he lacks discipline and emotionally can disrupt the team in a way that most top managers will not tolerate.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Still say Ronaldo coming turned Bruno into the one that plays for Portugal. No longer can he play like a false 9, no longer solely on free kicks and penalties. In general no longer the main player but now a cog amongst cogs. You can only get away with losing the ball 33 times if you are assisting or scoring. Bruno's problem is if he's not doing either, he lacks discipline and emotionally can disrupt the team in a way that most top managers will not tolerate.
This.

He has just been turned to a creative player than mix of a goalscoring one because that's not needed as much anymore.

Just like Ronaldo has scored most of the goals in the CL - Bruno has created most of the goals aswell.

When one player isn't playing well and still scores a goal - things are forgotten whilst the other one can be playing shit, assisting most of the goals and he gets less leeway.

Watching Bruno as a RAM has been horrible trying to play like a winger ever so than before.

Abraxas

There seems to be this undercurrent that this is Bruno Fernandes, he can't improve or modify his game. This is what we bought, this is what we've got, and he's been overly pampered.

However, I really do think he's absolutely capable of improving his consistency and decision making. Some of the passes he's capable of are outrageous. He's not a Riquelme on the ball but he's still an extremely good player, you don't produce as often as he does without some real talent and technique, even if he tries a lot.

It comes down to getting across to him how we need to play, consequencing him if he doesn't do it and work in training. Of course Bruno Fernandes can play the simple pass, the reality is he doesn't want to because this is what he's accustomed to. It is habitual for him. It's not as big a job as it seems because you've got a player with talent, that's clever enough to find space, that can press. It is just impressing upon him a new, less individualistic way as we need to become a better team.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's been in shit form for quite sometime now, I would think when a player finds themself in such a bad place, it would be ideal for them to go back to basics and try to keep it simple and wait for the right moments, his form is affecting us badly.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Bruno is spamming and forcing play because we aren’t playing well as a unit. Our forwards look like strangers. The midfield is getting the ball to them and winning it back quite often. The defenders and keeper are starting to look ok again. It’s the forwards who look like they don’t know what to do and how to play together, unfortunately Bruno has to be included in that now. He’s slowly going from being our saviour to another part of the problem. He’s salvageable though because he’ll press. Hopefully Cavani coming back in will also shake things up and spaces and chances will start to appear. The manager needs to be brave or nothing will change.

Tony247

Shola can be the answer. He is very good in tight spaces. But like many other united academy players (and this i see a prevailing problem for quite some time now) he has talent but lacks intent while going forward. Playing safe 80% of time takes your team no where just like playing maverick 80% of times.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Find the comments about him odd; if he doesn't score or assist, this is literally his game. Always was, which is why you want him in the final 3rd, not midfield.

I have thought he plays the way he does because he wants to, but it might be a case he simply can't play any other way, which would obviously be a problem if he's now a permanent fixture in midfield.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Find the comments about him odd; if he doesn't score or assist, this is literally his game. Always was, which is why you want him in the final 3rd, not midfield.

I have thought he plays the way he does because he wants to, but it might be a case he simply can't play any other way, which would obviously be a problem if he's now a permanent fixture in midfield.
Try him up front with Ronny or Greeny with Beek or Sanch behind?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He has shown he can play another way for Portugal, to be fair. Probably well enough to be a long-term fixture in that team, but not a particularly impressive part of it. He rarely catches the eye for being too cavalier, but then he rarely catches the eye for anything.

TsuWave

His displays for us have become like his displays for Portugal recently. Ronaldo effect?
This has nothing to do with Ronaldo. Even when he was putting numbers on the board prior to Ronaldo he often had really poor performances that were masked with an assist or a penalty and everyone then acted as if he had a good game. If you comb through his performance thread you’ll see many people questioned his need to play hero ball and how often he gave possession away or messed up simple passes even then

KeanoMagicHat

Fernandes is an okay regular midfielder, good at some things, below average at others.

But he’s an elite, world-class second striker/trequartista. This has been shown now by his performances with Ronaldo at United and Portugal vs his performances at Sporting and United before Ronaldo. He was our attack, he carried it for the first 18 months. Now he doesn’t.

He actually has really good attacking movement, it’s one of his best attributes, we have taken away that responsibility as he plays deeper/serves Ronaldo and instead of doing that it’s giving him a role that shows up some of his more average traits like game management from midfield and understanding when to play the simple pass.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Try him up front with Ronny or Greeny with Beek or Sanch behind?
I'd personally say anywhere he gets freedom of expression to be the decisive/conclusive juncture in an attack, be that the pass or taking shots on - he's a very blunt instrument with no nuance to his game, binary, if you will.

I don't think he's turned rubbish, rather, he has been reined in and isn't allowed to take the shots and risks he was permitted to before this season. The problem is, however, he has to defer to Ronaldo and cannot be in his way or take the shots on with abandon that he used to.

I made a thread in the United forum posing the question of what happens to Bruno 'now', as in, with what was most likely to be such upheaval after being usurped from 'the man' role he had since joining; we're very early in the RR era so writing Bruno off is needless, but he's going to have to show a level of adaptation I honestly don't know if he's capable of having not followed his pre-United career.

I think his issues now mesh with how his level tends to drop in the biggest games where he looks so much more ineffective. It's a shame we're going through all of this at the busiest point in the calendar: Bruno's game, in a more responsible system, needs just as much work as anyone else.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He has shown he can play another way for Portugal, to be fair. Probably well enough to be a long-term fixture in that team, but not a particularly impressive part of it. He rarely catches the eye for being too cavalier, but then he rarely catches the eye for anything.
Yeah, I have watched a few time for Portugal, but he's a peripheral, interchangeable part for them, which would be a worry for us if this is where his path here is heading.

This is the thread I was referring to; I think even though we're now in a new system not discussed in there, all the ifs with him remain. As you said in your earlier post, if he's not the conduit, problems with his style of play are a given.

Is Rangnick adamant about the system he wants to play, or will he try to figure out workarounds for certain players to remain effective?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sancho and Amad has big potential, both wide playmakers that keep it tidy. I'd love to see them given a proper run of games with 2 of Ronaldo, Greenwood, Bruno and Cavani in front of them.
Shola can be the answer. He is very good in tight spaces. But like many other united academy players (and this i see a prevailing problem for quite some time now) he has talent but lacks intent while going forward. Playing safe 80% of time takes your team no where just like playing maverick 80% of times.
I watch a fair bit of our academy games and, yes, Amad and Shola certainly can play the role of an interior, but I don't know if either are ready yet to do it in the first team. We're in a position where, really, we need to win every game to make up for a terrible start so it'd be very risky to throw either in right now.

I'd rather see either of them tried than a Donny or Lingard, but I think our best option is to stick with Bruno until Pogba returns in the hope that he adjusts to the role.

Roane

This has nothing to do with Ronaldo. Even when he was putting numbers on the board prior to Ronaldo he often had really poor performances that were masked with an assist or a penalty and everyone then acted as if he had a good game. If you comb through his performance thread you’ll see many people questioned his need to play hero ball and how often he gave possession away or messed up simple passes even then
You could be right. And I agree his stats masked his performances somewhat since he joined us.

I don't think we can rule out the Ronaldo effect completely though as with Portugal we are set up to maximize ronaldos goal scoring. I'm sure that affects his game. Also simple things like Ronaldo taking penalties will affect his stats.

Brwned

Yeah, I have watched a few time for Portugal, but he's a peripheral, interchangeable part for them, which would be a worry for us if this is where his path here is heading.

This is the thread I was referring to; I think even though we're now in a new system not discussed in there, all the ifs with him remain. As you said in your earlier post, if he's not the conduit, problems with his style of play are a given.

Is Rangnick adamant about the system he wants to play, or will he try to figure out workarounds for certain players to remain effective?
I don’t think Rangnick will stick to a system that doesn’t suit the players he has available to them, although he obviously has a preference and wants to test them out in that first. If it doesn’t work I’m sure he’d change to a different setup.

I don’t think Bruno’s issue is the positions he’s being asked to occupy though, personally. The position he’s playing now is notably different to the position he played in Ole’s last few games, and he still has a load of freedom to roam into dangerous positions he enjoys.

The difference is he’s not being allowed to play like our saviour, where every moment is life and death and only a superhuman effort from himself can turn the tide. A lot of the stuff he was trying could only be tried with extreme (over-)confidence, and the hero worship gave him that sense of walking on air.

It produced some great moments but you had to overlook a lot of crap in between. His style is clearly chaotic and as the chief playmaker he was unquestionably the primary architect of the chaos we found ourselves in repeatedly.

I think we can be fairly sure that no matter what system we play, Rangnick will not encourage that penchant for chaos. Bruno will have to find a way to exist in a style that prioritises control, and with that you’d expect him to find some middle ground between Santos’ Portugal and Ole’s United. Not peripheral but certainly not critical either. He’s part of the system and he needs to reorient himself in a serious way.

That’s why it never made sense to me that the United fan base were so quick to put him on a pedestal. He could only occupy that role while we were one of the jokes of the big clubs. If we got to the point where we were challenging for titles again then he was always going to have to adopt a more modest role. We’re very quick to adopt heroes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t think Rangnick will stick to a system that doesn’t suit the players he has available to them, although he obviously has a preference and wants to test them out in that first. If it doesn’t work I’m sure he’d change to a different setup.

I don’t think Bruno’s issue is the positions he’s being asked to occupy though, personally. The position he’s playing now is notably different to the position he played in Ole’s last few games, and he still has a load of freedom to roam into dangerous positions he enjoys.

The difference is he’s not being allowed to play like our saviour, where every moment is life and death and only a superhuman effort from himself can turn the tide. A lot of the stuff he was trying could only be tried with extreme (over-)confidence, and the hero worship gave him that sense of walking on air.

It produced some great moments but you had to overlook a lot of crap in between. His style is clearly chaotic and as the chief playmaker he was unquestionably the primary architect of the chaos we found ourselves in repeatedly.

I think we can be fairly sure that no matter what system we play, Rangnick will not encourage that penchant for chaos. Bruno will have to find a way to exist in a style that prioritises control, and with that you’d expect him to find some middle ground between Santos’ Portugal and Ole’s United. Not peripheral but certainly not critical either. He’s part of the system and he needs to reorient himself in a serious way.

That’s why it never made sense to me that the United fan base were so quick to put him on a pedestal. He could only occupy that role while we were one of the jokes of the big clubs. If we got to the point where we were challenging for titles again then he was always going to have to adopt a more modest role. We’re very quick to adopt heroes.
You could argue that playing very high up the pitch on the lines of being an outright forward is about the most heroic role on the pitch, an 80's #10, or thereabouts, but you're right in saying it's neither sustainable or a proper method for a club with title-winning ambitions.

I don't disagree with anything you've written except the position on the pitch almost dictating the role and mindset a player might have - hero ball Bruno was in his element smack bang in the thick of our decisive actions - you pull him 20 yards or so back and make him play a more inclusive, constructive and considered game and the things that made him so integral to us are pretty much redundant if he doesn't learn how to play like a proper midfielder who prioritises discipline and control over putting on a cape every time the ball comes his way.

Roane

I'm not as eloquent as some in writing posts but I think you are saying what I've said for a while.

Since SAF there have been different players who've had moments of fan adulation. Likes of Adnan and Rashy and Bruno. For me that has shown a team in trouble.

If I can explain it using other teams players. Likes of Zaha, Grealish and even Stevie G.

Grealish is skillful player but his skillset at City is pointless to a degree as he isn't just given the ball and do what he wants. Even his falling down isn't as valuable here as it disrupts city's rhythm too.

Gerrard was a fantastic player. At times he looked more dynamic than our own scholes. Yet he had to be that way as the team was not good enough overall. He kind of had to do it. Scholes is loved by many a player for his skills. Yet he didn't have to take the ball from our half and dribble past everyone to score. The team was so fone tuned he could make a one touch pass, volley, to a team mate and we were off.

Zaha didn't really fit in with us but he is the one who is expected to do the most. That level suits him.

The point I that these players almost have to play as individuals. Something we have seen at our club recently. We don't play as a team. Players like rashy and greenwood may struggle for this reason if Ralf wants us to play as a team. Simply because breaking into the first team means you have to change the mindset of individual (something you do at the lower levels to stake a claim) to team player. They've not had this development from the off.

copen1945

I love Bruno, but his constant look of disappointment and annoyance, aimed at his teammates even when he is the one that sent an errant pass, did get a bit much to take. I have always thought he should have been the captain instead of Harry. He clearly shouldn't be the captain at the moment. Harry, it is, then.

jesperjaap

That's a bit disingenuous, don't you think? If the criticism was that he's just stat-padding with goals and assists then I'd get where you're coming from, but whether you want to describe it as "chances created", "key passes", "shot-creating actions", whatever it is that considers a broader range of attacking contributions beyond the last touch or two, Bruno has ranked very highly for a long period of time. And that was clearly backed up with what we saw on the pitch; when he had a record-breaking number of chances created in a single CL game earlier this year, those chances were very real and had a huge influence on the game that we all saw, it's not some arbitrary statistic.

Saying this is the same Fernandes without that huge part of his game is a bit like saying when Alexander Arnold was getting destroyed last year, that was just the same old Trent without the decisive moments of quality. Sure they have other qualities to varying degrees but that's the defining part of their game. Ignoring the fluctuations in that aspect of their game doesn't present a very real description of what they offer or how they play.

To me it's more revealing to think about why that defining part of his game has disappeared in the way it has. Much like it always has for Portugal.

Because the point I am making is it is not a hug epart of his game in terms of number of times it happens. Bar the first couple of months or so here he gives the ball away more often than not it appears to me (not going from stats). The moments of sheer quality he produces are only 3/4 times max a game (again not going from stats), but they are hugely decisive. He just isnt producing those 3/4 moments at the moment and bar a handful of games hasnt done for te last 3rd of last year and most of this season so far, and lets face it one of those 3/4 moments has often been taking a penalty, which is stat padding, he isnt taking them now

Brwned

Because the point I am making is it is not a hug epart of his game in terms of number of times it happens. Bar the first couple of months or so here he gives the ball away more often than not it appears to me (not going from stats). The moments of sheer quality he produces are only 3/4 times max a game (again not going from stats), but they are hugely decisive. He just isnt producing those 3/4 moments at the moment and bar a handful of games hasnt done for te last 3rd of last year and most of this season so far, and lets face it one of those 3/4 moments has often been taking a penalty, which is stat padding, he isnt taking them now
What about games like this?

If he played with clinical forwards United would've scored 3 or 4 in the first half. Some of them round the corner outside the foot passes... gorgeous.
He got 2 assists, a defence-splitting pass to Rashford and a cross to Maguire, along with a similar pass to Fred, clear 1 on 1s for Rashford and Ronaldo, and a couple of other good chances. There were moments of real class and creativity there from all over the pitch.

That’s without the penalties or even the finishing, as a creator he’s excelled often enough to be respected on that level I think. He’s just needed a lot to enable that.

KetilOwren88

most chances created in europes big five leagues
This. He started the season with a hat trick and faded as the team started to struggle. He can be a frustrating player and the last months he has been extremely sloppy and out of form, but all this mocking and off-writing of Fernandes kind of makes me sad. For some people everything seems black and white with nothing between whatsoever. The guy has been our best player by a big distance since his arrival, and the suggestions about him beeing an average player are absurd.

We have just been through a terrible period with a manager beeing sacked and now just started off with another one, so let’s see how the next months will look like. He needs to find back to his old self, and improve without any doubt, but some of the critisism is out of tune. Maybe he should be on the bench for a few games. He wants to play every game, but some times it’s a good thing to be proteced against yourself and the constant press and limelight.

Concerning Ragnick’s style, I think he is very suited to that kind of football. Yes, Bruno should be a bit cooler at times, but if you take away his attempts of «Hollywood» passes, he will loose some of the attributes that made him a top player in the first place. It’s like asking Wayne Rooney to play with lesser temperament. He would not be the same player. Ragnick is speaking about control, but also about beeing pro active and get the ball forward with vertical passes. That’s perfect for Bruno Fernandes, and his vision about beeing in control is about what you do without the ball foremost, defending as far away from your goal as possible, winning the ball back quickly. I am optimistic.

Mr PG

Bruno is a bit overworked in current system. Also he set standards so high and still has the errant ball in him that he will learn to cut out but the overreactions here to 2 wayward ball are a little otp.

Bebestation

I always find cold comfort in that statement. I mean it didn't really apply with Alexis Sanchez, did it?
Alex's Sanchez tbh didn't work at Barcelona and United or Inter. It only worked for Arsenal for a few seasons.

Bebestation

I simply miss him playing as our False 9 type player.

I miss his goals, his passing, his passing causing penalties that he would then take and playing in this weird type of momentum.

Nordmore

Fernandes is an okay regular midfielder, good at some things, below average at others.

But he’s an elite, world-class second striker/trequartista. This has been shown now by his performances with Ronaldo at United and Portugal vs his performances at Sporting and United before Ronaldo. He was our attack, he carried it for the first 18 months. Now he doesn’t.

He actually has really good attacking movement, it’s one of his best attributes, we have taken away that responsibility as he plays deeper/serves Ronaldo and instead of doing that it’s giving him a role that shows up some of his more average traits like game management from midfield and understanding when to play the simple pass.
This is pretty spot on imo.

Bruno doesn't have the discipline to play in the midfield. But he's devastating near and around the final third. Bruno thrives with fast attackers running behind the defense but Ronaldo doesn't do that, nor has the pace and energy to try it on a regular basis. Or someone who can drag the defenders around to open holes for him to run into like Cavani. Which he's really good at.

I'd really want to see what he can do with Cavani/Rashford - Greenwood up front.

Cavani/Rashford - Greenwood
Bruno - Sancho
The rest pick themselves.

But on the current form tbh he doesn't deserve to start next match. He was the second worst player on the pitch last match. And I don't know if it's how RR would like us to play.

jesperjaap

He got 2 assists, a defence-splitting pass to Rashford and a cross to Maguire, along with a similar pass to Fred, clear 1 on 1s for Rashford and Ronaldo, and a couple of other good chances. There were moments of real class and creativity there from all over the pitch.

That’s without the penalties or even the finishing, as a creator he’s excelled often enough to be respected on that level I think. He’s just needed a lot to enable that.
not sayinng I dont like him or he isnt a top player, he obviously is. Its the consistency of quality in a game that for me leaves me thinking he is overhyped in terms of world class or a world star. Of course he produces moments like you show, but he has many poor moments too, just like Pogba fo rexample...Pogba gets slated, Fernandes seems immune, that is what I dont underwtand

Siezard

That's in the Champ League. Premier league clubs already figured out what Bruno likes to do and they are trying to nullify him as much as possible and most clubs can stop him to some extent.

Canagel

I told fans about Bruno from early but people didnt want to listen. Was told I had an agenda and I should feck off. It's funny because nobody is saying anything different to what I said before (can't pass, makes dumb decisions, is a high volume player , can't carry the ball and play on the half turn etc.. ) yet when I told everyone 18 months ago that he was covering stinkers with penalties everyone had energy for me. You were too busy pulling up the spreadsheets but I ain't seeing any right now.

Why should it take for him to stop getting G/A for you to realize his overall play has always been mediocre?

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This. He started the season with a hat trick and faded as the team started to struggle. He can be a frustrating player and the last months he has been extremely sloppy and out of form, but all this mocking and off-writing of Fernandes kind of makes me sad. For some people everything seems black and white with nothing between whatsoever. The guy has been our best player by a big distance since his arrival, and the suggestions about him beeing an average player are absurd.

We have just been through a terrible period with a manager beeing sacked and now just started off with another one, so let’s see how the next months will look like. He needs to find back to his old self, and improve without any doubt, but some of the critisism is out of tune. Maybe he should be on the bench for a few games. He wants to play every game, but some times it’s a good thing to be proteced against yourself and the constant press and limelight.

Concerning Ragnick’s style, I think he is very suited to that kind of football. Yes, Bruno should be a bit cooler at times, but if you take away his attempts of «Hollywood» passes, he will loose some of the attributes that made him a top player in the first place. It’s like asking Wayne Rooney to play with lesser temperament. He would not be the same player. Ragnick is speaking about control, but also about beeing pro active and get the ball forward with vertical passes. That’s perfect for Bruno Fernandes, and his vision about beeing in control is about what you do without the ball foremost, defending as far away from your goal as possible, winning the ball back quickly. I am optimistic.
Spot on. Always the same on here though (or any online forum tbf) and you'll find it if you pull up any of the player threads. You're either the best [insert position] in the league or a complete fraud who's not fit to wear the shirt. See AWB, Shaw, Pogba, Maguire, De Gea, Rashford etc...

He's definitely out of form, along with the team and as a result is probably trying a little too hard to pull off something special which kind of compounds the initial problem. He'll be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.