Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Well sure, we all forgive them when a % of them create a chance. Nobody has forgotten what he's done but these are not occasional ambitious, high risk punts interjected into an otherwise functioning game, they're all we get from him right now. And none of them are finding their target. None of them. He has to adapt. He looks like a man coming off a winning streak throwing more and more desperate bets in a bid to recapture what it used to be like. I just want him to take a step back, calm down and start playing himself back into form.
I think he’s trying to hard right now. He needs to relax and stop trying to force the issue. I’d agree with that. Doesn’t make him a poor player though.

The Oracle

Can it not be as simple as him being woefully out of form?
I think it is more than that.

I believe that now he is off penalty duty, we are seeing a massive flaw to his game... that he gives up possession of the ball so many times.

If we want to be a team that has control of matches, then we must be in control of the ball. Bruno is detrimental to that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Can it not be as simple as him being woefully out of form?
His defiencies were painfully clear when he was in form, and the conditions that allowed him to find that form were exceptionally favourable to a player who wants to monopolise the team's creativity. That benefited him as an individual but it ensured United remained a dysfunctional team. It wasn't the cause of the dysfunction but it prevented any resolution to it.

He essentially used all of the team's risk capital, to borrow a phrase from investing. His team-mates knew that if he was going to be given the ball in a vaguely progressive area, he'd go for the killer ball and either give it away or create a chance.

That made it impossible for his team-mates to take sensible risks themselves, because Bruno was already haemorraghing possession in good areas enough on his own. And it made it impossible for us to play any more subtle, intricate moves in and around the box because Bruno has neither the patience nor the close control to play a big role in it. So their only alternative to letting Bruno do that was to make their own solo moves from poor positions. Invariably we just bounced between one and the other with no cohesion.

It ended up making our creativity more one dimensional in terms of the breadth of players involved and the breadths of moves attempted, and that was exposed over and over again against the bigger teams, regardless of the form he was in. What worked for him was never a workable solution.

Now he's being asked to play a more mature game and those deficiencies become more prominent, it's not an aberration but a logical progression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Bondi77

A real drop off from his early form and now he struggles to find the weight of a pass.
Maybe it is the arrival of Ronnie because now he has no pen duties and not always first choice at set pieces that has him a little out of sorts which I hope will be temporary.

Sviken

He's such an incredibly frustrating player that is increasingly starting to piss me off. Why does he always have to try and make the most difficult pass possible the moment he receives the ball? Absolute zero when it comes to decision making.

Pickle85

His defiencies were painfully clear when he was in form, and the conditions that allowed him to find that form were exceptionally favourable to a player who wants to monopolise the team's creativity. That benefited him as an individual but it ensured United remained a dysfunctional team. It wasn't the cause of the dysfunction but it prevented any resolution to it.

He essentially used all of the team's risk capital, to borrow a phrase from investing. His team-mates knew that if he was going to be given the ball in a vaguely progressive area, he'd go for the killer ball and either give it away or create a chance.

That made it impossible for his team-mates to take sensible risks themselves, because Bruno was already haemorraghing possession in good areas enough on his own. And it made it impossible for us to play any more subtle, intricate moves in and around the box because Bruno has neither the patience nor the close control to play a big role in it. So their only alternative to letting Bruno do that was to make their own solo moves from poor positions. Invariably we just bounced between one and the other with no cohesion.

It ended up making our creativity more one dimensional in terms of the breadth of players involved and the breadths of moves attempted, and that was exposed over and over again against the bigger teams, regardless of the form he was in. What worked for him was never a workable solution.

Now he's being asked to play a more mature game and those deficiencies become more prominent, it's not an aberration but a logical progression.
Excellent post.

Foxbatt

And the next game he is going to score a brilliant goal. I think it would help him a lot more if he had DVB along side him and Sancho up front instead of Rashford.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't decide what's worse, his dreadful displays or his petulance and complaining.

Mainoldo

A lot of people saying he was over hyped are now the ones completely writing him off, as with everything the answer is somewhere in the middle, good player having a bad spell like all players do.
It’a a long bad spell…

Mainoldo

Can’t disagree with anything here. Hopefully he’s replaced. I remember when I said he was becoming a RVN problem like in 06 and that didn’t go down well here. But look here we are.

Roane

His displays for us have become like his displays for Portugal recently. Ronaldo effect?

Also I can't quite remember the details but if memory serves me correct his current "bad point", losing the ball, misplaced passes etc was the reason we didn't initially sign him isn't it?

Again iirc we looked at him and thought no but then signed him later?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Perfectly summarized. He was basically like a dog that was never trained and allowed to run about the house doing what he wanted. The dog was still sweet and loved, but doesn’t listen to anyone or is ever disciplined.

pascell

Let's give him a break, he played 80+ games last season for United and Portgual, that's two PL seasons in one, thats too many games.

We also knew what we were getting with him when we signed him, a player who attempts the killer pass that more often than not loses possession but will get it right and when he does, it wins you the game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I actually thought he could be as good as KDB if rightly coached. There was always a level to go up given how inconsistent he was. Unfortunately he has regressed now. He need to take a step back and get the basics right. There is still a brilliant player somewhere.

Hope Pogba signs that contract. We need options in that position.

stoinz

He is terribly off form. The thing I noticed during last night's game was how easily he was outmuscled off the ball too. But the thing about Bruno is even when he is off form, he puts in a defensive shift. Defensively he was good, harrying, tackling the opponents. I think he need a rest rather than playing him back into form and Rangnick doesn't seems like the coach that will overplay players so he might get a rest again mid-week which is good.

Reactions: Invictus

Vaibhav Raj

What a wasteful display from him against Norwich. It was one of those days when team didn't have as much control on the game as we would have wanted to and, Bruno Fernandes, as he does in such games, switched to playing hot potato with the football, causing for our control over the game to deteriorate even further. He should be the first one hooked off in such games and that's an opinion coming from someone who rates Bruno as one of our more valuable players. His constant moaning on the pitch, especially those aimed towards his own team mates, doesn't seem to be very constructive either during the games where players already appear frustrated due to lack of control. In such games, he should be encouraging the team, motivating them and, most importantly, putting forth a display of level headed-ness and composure rather than cutting a super frustrated figure as if he were the only one impacted by a frustrating outing. He certainly is no captain material as many on here claim.

PaulRich

He looks like a player who's trying to over think everything, the little dinks, the hollywood balls - simple is sometimes the way

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Against Brentford I'd go with Matic sitting, with Fred and van de Beek supporting him in midfield (I doubt McTominay will be for to play). Bruno should be dropped, he's useless in that system, and we can play 433 with Sancho and Greenwood on the wings.

Everybody talking about "system" players like van de Beek and Sancho, while it's actually the "no-system" players that struggle the most so far (Bruno and Rashford).

Telsim

Teams have his number now, they know what to expect - Hollywood passes and crosses, thus he gives the ball away all the time. I feel like every time a counter goes through him he kills the pace, waiting for players to go forward so he can try his 1 in 100 passes, instead of just rushing forward. He is constantly telling his teammates to calm down, but is erratic and impatient himself. He can be a good player, I believe that, but he needs to get it together and adapt.

I honestly feel like the arrival of Ronaldo threw a wrench in his gears.

Bestietom

Never expected him to be so bad this season. Don't know what it is but he has gone backwards. Making loads of mistakes with his passing now.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Teams have his number now, they know what to expect - Hollywood passes and crosses, thus he gives the ball away all the time. I feel like every time a counter goes through him he kills the pace, waiting for players to go forward so he can try his 1 in 100 passes, instead of just rushing forward. He is constantly telling his teammates to calm down, but is erratic and impatient himself. He can be a good player, I believe that, but he needs to get it together and adapt.

I honestly feel like the arrival of Ronaldo threw a wrench in his gears.
He needs to be in and around the area and played more centrally. The new system is taking away the best qualities of Bruno and Sancho.

tomaldinho1

Never expected him to be so bad this season. Don't know what it is but he has gone backwards. Making loads of mistakes with his passing now.
I saw a stat that he lost possession 17 times in the first half. That is mind boggling.

Drizzle

The thing I noticed during last night's game was how easily he was outmuscled off the ball too
He's always been weak like that, and quite slow too. It's why he looks to release the pass as quickly as possible because he knows he loses most duels.

For a number 10, his lack of ability to hold off a challenge or skill his way past defenders is a big issue. He lives or dies on the quality of those quick through balls. And they have become much rarer in 2021

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is no way Fernande's would play for a possession based coach like Pep or Ten Hag. He needs to adapt. His use of the ball is appalling.
The things is that his use of the ball was appalling even when he was in form.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's hugely inconsistent like too many of our forward players. Easily brushed off the ball too.

gajender

There is no way Fernande's would play for a possession based coach like Pep or Ten Hag. He needs to adapt. His use of the ball is appalling.
The things is that his use of the ball was appalling even when he was in form.
He isn't that good even for sides playing direct or counter attacking football due to his propensity to mess even simple passes.

Barring his initial spell when we bought him he hardly had any games where you could say he played well throughout 90minutes ,you simply can't expect to be a top team with such inconsistent player occupying a pivotal role in the team .

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally I don’t think him and Rashford can play in the same team. Both of them are too poor in possession and give the ball away far too much (especially as Ronaldo also does too). Personally I would take Bruno’s creativity over Rashfords pace in most games and replace him with Greenwood but if the manager really wants to stick with Rashford, he will need to drop Bruno for VDB or someone more possession focussed.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He isn't that good even for sides playing direct or counter attacking football due to his propensity to mess even simple passes.

Barring his initial spell when we bought him he hardly had any games where you could say he played well throughout 90minutes ,you simply can't expect to be a top team with such inconsistent player occupying a pivotal role in the team .
Some of those performances pre lockdown when he first signed were amazing. He looked like Cantona and Scholes rolled into one at times, even if not as good as either, he’s still capable of moments of magic but those performances were night and day to most of what he has produced for 18 months.

SonyaCross493

Bruno NEEDS to be dropped. Has had enough chances this season it's getting a joke now. Donny or Pogba (when he's back) will take the shirt of him no problem

There is a wider point that Bruno isn't a Rangnick player in his 4-2-2-2. The number 10 is required to help out Fred and Mctom otherwise it becomes a 4-2-4 like under Ole where teams overrun us and dominate us in midfield (Norwich won the midfield battle you win the game normally 9/10) but Bruno isn't helping in that regard he's an hindrance and passenger especially when he's losing the ball constantly. Bruno and Sancho's roles are so important in this formation like Rangnick said the most important and most physically demanding roles as it links the midfield and attack together the glue in the team without that part of the team functioning (Bruno and Sancho) the whole formation and team fails. Bruno isn't cutting the mustard and isn't disciplined enough for a Rangnick type player.

A few games on the bench will help motivate him and give him a rest as Ole overplayed him. He will come back stronger.

Last edited:

Doracle

Personally I don’t think him and Rashford can play in the same team. Both of them are too poor in possession and give the ball away far too much (especially as Ronaldo also does too). Personally I would take Bruno’s creativity over Rashfords pace in most games and replace him with Greenwood but if the manager really wants to stick with Rashford, he will need to drop Bruno for VDB or someone more possession focussed.
Bruno and Rashford usually link up well but Bruno’s passing was really poor yesterday. Anywhere near his best and he’d have played Marcus through a couple of times. VDB has yet to show any sign of actually having the eye for a killer pass at all so if we were to drop Bruno, it would probably leave McTominay as our most creative midfielder!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Bruno has always been the one to mop up the mess in Ole’s teams and this granted him a free role to compensate for the complete tactical naïveté. Now with Ralf, he is having to adapt to a more defined role and that may be taking its toll.
These are teething issues that will be solved in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.