6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

Theres was a game last year in the CL where he gave it away about 30 times, but created 7 or 8 great chances. Those are the ones where he's extremely frustrating.

It's just his game, he's reigned it in a bit this season, but to me it looks like he is playing the ball to create the assist more often now. Which shows in his goals and assists being down this season. It's just his nature to try the risky pass or the shot even if others think it's not on. It's why he has so many goals and assists.

I'm glad he's not doing it as much, he can be just as effective by playing smarter which is kind of what he is doing. And it's working.
I agree, I think ten Hag has focused him on to giving the "assist before the assist" rather than goals or assists themselves. At first glance it doesnt seem like he affects the game like he used to but I think our performances drop without him.

AttackAttackAttack

Imo Mc Allister is another type of midfielder. He's more of a ball carrier imo. And surely he looked fantastic in the World Cup but I don't think I could say the same in the PL.

Actually imo it's very hard to replace Bruno atm. His insane work rate, his passing, his creativity, his drive, his goals, his assists. Very hard to find an attacking player with this kind of productivity while still contribute very well in defensive duties and love to do the dirty job. Griezmann might do the job for a couple years but I don't think he'd be as good as Bruno.

Tbh I simply can't stretch how important he is for us atm. He's surely frustrating to watch sometime but his desire and always giving his all alone makes me really really love this guy.
Rooney vibes

UDontMessWith24

Outside of when he tries to do something outlandish for absolutely no good reason, his football iq is off the charts. His speed of thought is why that goal happened first and foremost. None of their defenders even spotted him before it was too late. One of the most intelligent goals I’ve seen in a long time

Mr PG

He was mostly a passenger offensively in the first half. Missplaced som key passes. Had one great pass to Rashford. Other than that the chances we got in first half where all through Eriksen.

But his performance was excellent in the second half.

I dont see any reason to play him on the wing. On his normal position he is excellent.
His pass to Martial from the flanks was very good as he’d have been through but Martial had lazily strayed offside.

UDontMessWith24

Imo Mc Allister is another type of midfielder. He's more of a ball carrier imo. And surely he looked fantastic in the World Cup but I don't think I could say the same in the PL.

Actually imo it's very hard to replace Bruno atm. His insane work rate, his passing, his creativity, his drive, his goals, his assists. Very hard to find an attacking player with this kind of productivity while still contribute very well in defensive duties and love to do the dirty job. Griezmann might do the job for a couple years but I don't think he'd be as good as Bruno.

Tbh I simply can't stretch how important he is for us atm. He's surely frustrating to watch sometime but his desire and always giving his all alone makes me really really love this guy.
Mac Alister was made to play with Bruno and no less than a perfect fit for what ETH wants to do. I’ll do cartwheels in the streets if we sign him

Strelok

Mac Alister was made to play with Bruno and no less than a perfect fit for what ETH wants to do. I’ll do cartwheels in the streets if we sign him
I'm of a similar opinion but only for the WC Mc Alister. That Mc Allister was so class but tbh I'm not that impressed with the PL Mc Allister. I don't watch Brighton much though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was absolutely awful for most of the game, but without him we dont win today. I wont complain about him again.
This time I disagree. He also played the pass for Rashford's one on one. I thought he was quite good in this game. And I do usually think he needs to be tighter in possesion. Like the whole team he was crap in that 45 to 70 minute period.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was mostly a passenger offensively in the first half. Missplaced som key passes. Had one great pass to Rashford. Other than that the chances we got in first half where all through Eriksen.

But his performance was excellent in the second half.

I dont see any reason to play him on the wing. On his normal position he is excellent.

The idea with Bruno on the right wing and especially in defending, we defended as usual but in possession he had a role to come in between the lines to bring an extra player there and bring the opponent problems and create hesitation and confusion and I thought he played that role brilliantly.”
“The rest of the team adapted well to the situation and we had really good breaks by finding the free man. Bruno was an important factor in that role and important in the pressing as well.
“I didn’t know he was man of the match but he was my man of the match definitely.”
ETH very happy with first half performance.

Lyng

ETH very happy with first half performance.
Yeah saw the interview. I trust ETH and we won the game.
Like I said earlier, I really like Bruno as a person and as a captain, but will have to try to analyze his wing play from a different perspective.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah saw the interview. I trust ETH and we won the game.
Like I said earlier, I really like Bruno as a person and as a captain, but will have to try to analyze his wing play from a different perspective.
To be honest, I always think he’s wasted out right as well.Seems to be much less effective going forwards. But the contribution ETH describes is the sort of thing my untutored eye wouldn’t notice. So it’s interesting to hear the manager is so pleased with him, despite this not being obvious to you or me.

Lyng

To be honest, I always think he’s wasted out right as well.Seems to be much less effective going forwards. But the contribution ETH describes is the sort of thing my untutored eye wouldn’t notice. So it’s interesting to hear the manager is so pleased with him, despite this not being obvious to you or me.
Agree 100%. These kinds of comments are also why I find Ten Hags pressers so interesting compared to many of our former managers. Its clear he has a brilliant understanding of how to adapt players to his tactics. Something I actually think Pep sometimes lacks.
Simon Jordan made a comment today which I found I agreed with: "Its refreshing to see a manager actually do some real coaching"
This was in regards to AwB's performances now, but I think it fits with many of our players. He manages to take players that you would not think could fit in a Ten Hag system and adapt the players and the tactics in a pregmatic way that makes it all work together.

Dion

And?

He's wrong too.
I'm just highlighting how ridiculous your stance is by building up an evidence base from statistics, observations and expert opinions. I don't expect you to admit to changing your mind because shame is a very powerful force, but that's still no reason for me not to highlight to everyone else just how ridiculous your position is.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm of a similar opinion but only for the WC Mc Alister. That Mc Allister was so class but tbh I'm not that impressed with the PL Mc Allister. I don't watch Brighton much though.
Mac Allister is fantastic for us, he took a bit of time to get used to the premiership, and then he was initially played in the midfield pivot where he did well but it's not his best position. De Zerbi has pushed him forward now and as an attacking midfielder he is absolute class, his world cup performances were no surprise to those who watch Brighton regularly.

Strelok

Mac Allister is fantastic for us, he took a bit of time to get used to the premiership, and then he was initially played in the midfield pivot where he did well but it's not his best position. De Zerbi has pushed him forward now and as an attacking midfielder he is absolute class, his world cup performances were no surprise to those who watch Brighton regularly.
If so we should definitely buy him I think.

OverratedOpinion

I'm just highlighting how ridiculous your stance is by building up an evidence base from statistics, observations and expert opinions. I don't expect you to admit to changing your mind because shame is a very powerful force, but that's still no reason for me not to highlight to everyone else just how ridiculous your position is.
No I just watch him. I can find you loads of opinions from ex pros even great players that I think are totally wrong.

Tbh I forgot that we had this discussion but it's clearly sticking with you so here is what I'd say to try and help. I don't believe De Bruyne to be a great dribbler, I think him and Fernandes are pretty comparable in that aspect. Both can take neat little touches and wrong foot a defender, if both are in full flow they can use very simple changes of direction to beat a defender or two. Neither are particularly special in that aspect though.

If you disagree then we can agree to disagree.

Maybe Paul McGuinness agrees with you. Hey maybe Paul McGrath does too for all I know. Unfortunately you'll have to just continue living life with the reality that I don't agree with you though.

Dion

No I just watch him. I can find you loads of opinions from ex pros even great players that I think are totally wrong.

Tbh I forgot that we had this discussion but it's clearly sticking with you so here is what I'd say to try and help. I don't believe De Bruyne to be a great dribbler, I think him and Fernandes are pretty comparable in that aspect. Both can take neat little touches and wrong foot a defender, if both are in full flow they can use very simple changes of direction to beat a defender or two. Neither are particularly special in that aspect though.

If you disagree then we can agree to disagree.

Maybe Paul McGuinness agrees with you. Hey maybe Paul McGrath does too for all I know. Unfortunately you'll have to just continue living life with the reality that I don't agree with you though.
I don't think you read my post.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think you read my post.
I did.

You called me ridiculous a few times and said that you are building up a bunch of quotes from experts and statistics.

My response is I regularly watch him, I know what I consider a top class dribbler. I don't think he fits into a category.

I'm afraid if your goal is to change my mind you are best off not wasting any more time. I am utterly entrenched in this because I've watched him play probably more than 100 times. To me you're trying to tell me grass is not green and trying to find random opinions from experts that support you.

You could send me an 800 page book that Messi, Maradona, Garrincha and George Best wrote magically, all gushing over De Bruyne's dribbling and it would not change the fact that I've watched him be very plain at that aspect of football for years despite being a great player.

Agree to disagree.

Samoerai Jack

Having seen many Dutch squads fail to break through an opponent's defence(not to mention van Gaal's United); I would've wished for them to have a Bruno on their team. He has the spark to make things happen every game. That is just so valuable. His consistency is unbelievable. You don't mark him, he marks you. And on top of that he's a leader. Ten Hag made a point of emphasizing the importance of Bruno against City last Saturday and he seemed a little annoyed that that sentiment wasn't shared more widely. Tadic was ETH's right hand man at Ajax. He played every single game and he scored or assisted in virtually all of them. Bruno is that guy now.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Pass and Move

I did.

You called me ridiculous a few times and said that you are building up a bunch of quotes from experts and statistics.

My response is I regularly watch him, I know what I consider a top class dribbler. I don't think he fits into a category.

I'm afraid if your goal is to change my mind you are best off not wasting any more time. I am utterly entrenched in this because I've watched him play probably more than 100 times. To me you're trying to tell me grass is not green and trying to find random opinions from experts that support you.

You could send me an 800 page book that Messi, Maradona, Garrincha and George Best wrote magically, all gushing over De Bruyne's dribbling and it would not change the fact that I've watched him be very plain at that aspect of football for years despite being a great player.

Agree to disagree.
Well what would ever cause you to question your judgement on something if experts of that calibre can’t make you do so?
I personally think de Bruyne is a better dribbler than Bruno, but mainly due to his pace and power which are far superior. He drives past players the way Bruno can’t. But if Ferguson, Giggs, and Zidane told me otherwise, I’d be inclined to reconsider my position.

Eli Zee

I think we saw the difference between them in real time — the biggest difference between the two is that de Bruyne has explosive pace (for a no.10) and the ability to carry the ball. He was getting a man mark job out of the game by Fred for the majority of it, but the one time he’s able to get a bit of space he has the pace and strength to make a run across the byline and ping one back post for their goal. Unfortunately, Fernandes just simply doesn’t have that element to his game.

Everything else is fairly similar and the stats will back that up (with swing in de Bruyne’s favour on everything as he is the better player).
Agreed. KDB is probably technically superior in most ways to Bruno on the ball, but Bruno is not far off. I think Bruno has a very good attitude, work rate, etc that help his game a lot. He is a testament to "giving your 110%." Same with Martinez. You don't always have to be the #1 most technical/talented player because tenacity and work ethic can bridge the gap in other ways.

It's like hiring an assassin.. do you want someone to make it a beautiful, untraceable death with some poison in the victims morning coffee? Or do you want to have someone come by with a stabbing and run off? Either way gets the job done.... ones just prettier.

Pass and Move

Seeing him start to dribble in a top class manner for a significant period of time.

That's literally the only thing.
I think you’ve missed my point. How do you know that he isn’t dribbling in a top class manner and that you’re simply not recognising it? If the experts’ opinions are different to yours, surely at some point you must question your own judgement on the matter.

OverratedOpinion

I think you’ve missed my point. How do you know that he isn’t dribbling in a top class manner and that you’re simply not recognising it? If the experts’ opinions are different to yours, surely at some point you must question your own judgement on the matter.
No I entirely trust my judgment to tell me what I'm seeing. I've watched football long enough to have a degree of self confidence in that.

I could find examples of Sir Alex and Klopp entirely disagreeing on certain players. Loads of things where 2 of the top people in football have differing views.

I have 3 options.

1. I can choose the experts I prefer and just go with what they say.
2. I can change my opinion based on the most recent opinion I've heard from an expert until I hear the next one.
3. I can just watch players and form my own opinion.

I go with 3 and I'm totally fine with disagreeing with Paul McGuinness or anyone else. I won't get upset at anyone for having their view and I'll have mine.

Pass and Move

No I entirely trust my judgment to tell me what I'm seeing. I've watched football long enough to have a degree of self confidence in that.

I could find examples of Sir Alex and Klopp entirely disagreeing on certain players. Loads of things where 2 of the top people in football have differing views.

I have 3 options.

1. I can choose the experts I prefer and just go with what they say.
2. I can change my opinion based on the most recent opinion I've heard from an expert until I hear the next one.
3. I can just watch players and form my own opinion.

I go with 3 and I'm totally fine with disagreeing with Paul McGuinness or anyone else. I won't get upset at anyone for having their view and I'll have mine.
I, too, value my own judgement over that of another casual observer, even a purported ‘expert’ on some topics. But I wouldn’t trust my own ear over that of a dozen composers and producers when evaluating a singer’s tone.
Your reference to the 800 page book implies that there’s no consensus of expert opinion that could make you question your own judgement. That sounds like paranoid climate-change-denial type behaviour to be honest.

OverratedOpinion

I, too, value my own judgement over that of another casual observer, even a purported ‘expert’ on some topics. But I wouldn’t trust my own ear over that of a dozen composers and producers when evaluating a singer’s tone.
Your reference to the 800 page book implies that there’s no consensus of expert opinion that could make you question your own judgement. That sounds like paranoid climate-change-denial type behaviour to be honest.
Wow you're comparing me thinking I can confidently tell whether a midfielder can dribble really well in a slightly tongue in cheek fashion to climate change denial? Denying actual world changing science?

Oof you've had a shocker mate.

De Bruyne is a wonderful player. Not a great dribbler. Agree to disagree and I'm done with disrailing the thread.

Pass and Move

Wow you're comparing me thinking I can confidently tell whether a midfielder can dribble really well in a slightly tongue in cheek fashion to climate change denial? Denying actual world changing science?

Oof you've had a shocker mate.

De Bruyne is a wonderful player. Not a great dribbler. Agree to disagree and I'm done with disrailing the thread.
I’m not debating you on de Bruyne’s dribbling ability, just your seeming unwillingness to concede your opinion could ever be wrong. If The Caf had a pole on Bruno vs de Bruyne dribbling and you were the only one out of a thousand to vote Bruno, would you still not question your judgement on this one topic? If not, I don’t really see why you come to a discussion forum. May as well just shout your opinions from a balcony

OverratedOpinion

I’m not debating you on de Bruyne’s dribbling ability, just your seeming unwillingness to concede your opinion could ever be wrong. If The Caf had a pole on Bruno vs de Bruyne dribbling and you were the only one out of a thousand to vote Bruno, would you still not question your judgement on this one topic? If not, I don’t really see why you come to a discussion forum. May as well just shout your opinions from a balcony
I'd enjoy hearing their opinions, it may ultimately play a role the next time I watched the player and may contribute to how I view a match but ultimately I'd still rely on what my eyes told me. I'm not just going to take their word for it though as this isn't science.

3 people on here recently told me that Luke Shaw was 6 ft 1. I've seen him with my eyes and know that to be untrue so I disagreed.

I wouldn't come and compare them to climate change deniers though because that would make me sound horrendously over dramatic and a bit silly.

Dion

I did.

Agree to disagree.
You really didn't read my post did you?

As I said, I know you're too embarrassed to change your mind publicly, my aim isn't to change yours, it's to show everyone else how silly your argument is.

OverratedOpinion

You really didn't read my post did you?

As I said, I know you're too embarrassed to change your mind publicly, my aim isn't to change yours, it's to show everyone else how silly your argument is.
I don't think you're doing anything particularly successfully here I'm afraid but far be it from me to stop someone with an ambition.

To help you, here is my opinion once more. Neither Bruno or KDB are particularly great dribblers and I'd say roughly a similar level.

Apparently KDB is Maradona reincarnate and Bruno is Emile Heskey. Thinking differently is "ridiculous" and something I'm supposed to feel great shame and embarassment about! Especially because Paul McGuinness agrees or something.

You just seem really upset about this and I find it quite comical. Good luck to you Dion, I apologise that I said something that bothered you to the degree that you felt the need to research it and bring it up when I'd long forgotten the conversation. I won't say anymore on the subject so go ahead and have the last word.

criticalanalysis

I don't think you're doing anything particularly successfully here I'm afraid but far be it from me to stop someone with an ambition.

To help you, here is my opinion once more. Neither Bruno or KDB are particularly great dribblers and I'd say roughly a similar level.
I know KDB has regressed physically a lot and I don't really watch City games so it may be an outdated opinion but he was definitely a fantastic ball carrier, which meant he was dribbling in 1 vs 1s etc. I would have KDB above Fernandes as a dribbler/ball carrier period, as that's not the latter's game and the former has excelled in this previously. There are 100% not on a similar level, I don't think it's an outlandish opinion and I'm sure most football observers would probably say the same.

Fernandes is pretty skillful, has a lot of technique in those tight spaces and is not too shabby himself at all.

Dion

Apparently KDB is Maradona reincarnate and Bruno is Emile Heskey. Thinking differently is "ridiculous" and something I'm supposed to feel great shame and embarassment about! Especially because Paul McGuinness agrees or something.

You just seem really upset about this and I find it quite comical. Good luck to you Dion, I apologise that I said something that bothered you to the degree that you felt the need to research it and bring it up when I'd long forgotten the conversation. I won't say anymore on the subject so go ahead and have the last word.
I dunno, judging by how little anyone agrees with your silly opinion I'm at least not hurting it :)

And you should follow Paul McGuinness, he posts lots of interesting coaching stuff. You might learn something!

justsomebloke

Percentiles compared to wingers/att midf. for 1) dribbles completed, 2) dribbles attempted and 3) % successful dribbles, per 90, last 365 days:

De Bruyne: 22, 19, 62
Bruno: 9, 8, 35

Seems to suggest neither of them are either very frequent dribblers or very successful ones, and also that KdB is quite significantly better than Bruno in this department.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know KDB has regressed physically a lot and I don't really watch City games so it may be an outdated opinion but he was definitely a fantastic ball carrier, which meant he was dribbling in 1 vs 1s etc. I would have KDB above Fernandes as a dribbler/ball carrier period, as that's not the latter's game and the former has excelled in this previously. There are 100% not on a similar level, I don't think it's an outlandish opinion and I'm sure most football observers would probably say the same.

Fernandes is pretty skillful, has a lot of technique in those tight spaces and is not too shabby himself at all.
Yeah, KdB is significantly better ball carrier than Bruno, Bruno doesn't have the pace and physicality to do that. There are so many instances where KdB kept counter going by his ball carrying ability.

KdB is a decent dribbler, Bruno is very poor at it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
fecking useless, don't give a shit if he scored. Terrible, terrible performance from him tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.