Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Could his emergence allow us to push Shaw further forward?
I don't think so, you have to remember Shaw is probably the best young full back in Europe and whether you love him or hate him we have Memphis too who is considered (or was considered) another elite talent on that side, saying that CBJ had definitely impressed me, Varela too. For all the shit the papers give our academy we're smashing the U21s and consistently providing first teamers who have stepped up from the youth teams when we really needed them. I think CBJ is a very good talent, just a shame Shaw is so good otherwise he could probably be a starting left back for us.

ottosec

I'm really impressed with this kid. Every time he plays he does better and better. He also seems to be a great crosser.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really pleased for him and pleased with him. He's had to deal with quite enormous pressure, being thrown in in the must win CL game and he's really grabbed his chance. Makes such a difference having players in their correct positions, a left back who can actually cross and has pace, going forward.

R'hllor

I know that most here had a go at LvG for having short squad of first team players but in cases like this,there is a positive side of his way too.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Keep saying this but of all the young players LVG has given a debut too, he's the one that stands out.

As soon as Shaw comes back, we should try and see how he does at CB. He looks far too good just to be a back to Shaw.

red_devil83

Keep saying this but of all the young players LVG has given a debut too, he's the one that stands out.

As soon as Shaw comes back, we should try and see how he does at CB. He looks far too good just to be a back to Shaw.
He's skinnier than skeletor, he'd get ruined as a CB

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I disagree. I wrote this a few weeks ago:

He certainly tries to get a good pace and whip on them. Sometimes he will blast the ball into row z but that's the price we should be willing to pay to get a great ball in once in a while.

Yesterday we reaped the reward for paying just that price.
Agree, it must be about two months ago he whipped one in that was even pacier and more curved, but it wasn't finished so didn't get the attention it deserved. Can't remember which match it was. It's not just that those crosses are fast and curved, it's also that he only needs half a yard and doesn't need to pass his defender to get one in. A few mishit ones that end up in the stands is not a heavy price to pay.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Agreed. But I thought the same about McNair too. McNair looked very solid when he first got a run in the side, but this season he looks half the player he was, which is a shame, as I think there's still a lot of talent there. I hope the same doesn't happen to BoJack.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Re McNair, he had this ridiculous backwards diving header sort of thingy preventing a goal in one of his first games for us, I believe many formed their opinion om him just by that. I never really bought into the hype. Away at Southampton in december last season he was such a nervous wreck he had to be hooked in the first half. He didn't really play much after that, I think.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I don't think McNair ever showed the general level of intelligence and refined composure as Borthwick-Jackson has. It's still really early days though, so a dip in form at some point will be inevitable and completely acceptable, particularly considering he will pretty much be our only LB option for a while.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Re McNair, he had this ridiculous backwards diving header sort of thingy preventing a goal in one of his first games for us, I believe many formed their opinion om him just by that. I never really bought into the hype. Away at Southampton in december last season he was such a nervous wreck he had to be hooked in the first half. He didn't really play much after that, I think.
TBF he played at RB? As a CB I think he still has something to offer

LexiRed

TBF he played at RB? As a CB I think he still has something to offer
McNair is a CM by trade if i recall correctly. Wasnt there a big shock when LVG played him at cb over one of our other academy lads who was actually a natural cb?
I would love to see McNair get a shout in the center of the park sometime (in a meaningless cup game or sometime during the summer) to see if he can handle it there.

NK86

I like this kid. Good defensively. Good crosser. Looks like he is about to fall every time he runs but he has done well so far. Coming Sunday against Willian will be a big test.

Charlie Foley

Good player IMO. Provides width on the left when Martial is cutting in.

Nice to see an academy lad do well

Scarecrow

Having a week off
McNair is a CM by trade if i recall correctly. Wasnt there a big shock when LVG played him at cb over one of our other academy lads who was actually a natural cb?
I would love to see McNair get a shout in the center of the park sometime (in a meaningless cup game or sometime during the summer) to see if he can handle it there.
You're thinking of Thorpe. But no, Paddy was already playing mostly as a CB at the time. He came to us as a CM but was converted in the youth teams, although he continued to play at CDM often and was even compared to Carrick if I remember correctly. I think by the time he got promoted he was seen mostly as a CB though.
The shock was mostly due to the fact that Thorpe was a few years older, reserves captain and was generally considered to be the next in the pecking order to be promoted.

Last edited:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Agree, it must be about two months ago he whipped one in that was even pacier and more curved, but it wasn't finished so didn't get the attention it deserved. Can't remember which match it was. It's not just that those crosses are fast and curved, it's also that he only needs half a yard and doesn't need to pass his defender to get one in. A few mishit ones that end up in the stands is not a heavy price to pay.
Think it was against Chelsea when Rooney should have scored

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His passing and crossing consistently impress me. Hopefully he gets more athletic with time, but there's definitely aspects of his game that stand out pretty naturally.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I have been a critic of his, and did say not long ago that I didn't think he had the necessary requirements to make it here, but yesterday he was nearly perfect.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Even forgetting the crossing, I thought he was fantastic defensively yesterday. I loved the way he handled the long balls to one of the best players in the world in Walters and the gangly Crouch. He was never enticed into trying to jump in and win the aerial ball. He was smart enough to know he wasn't going to beat them in the air so he just applied a bit of pressure and then backed off and jockeyed them. He let them have the ball a few times but he wasn't giving them the chance to attack space or do anything effective with it. Very smart play. Was very impressed with his step up to u21s and he has continued that straight into the first team in a remarkably short space of time.

jb8521

Someone said he's played there for the U21 and is originally a CB.
He played cb for England u16s and u19s and for most of his first year with United u18s. His 2nd year u18's he played lb and this season with the u21s he's played half of his games cb and half lb. He has also played some games as a left winger and played as a dm in the Milk Cup last year. He has actually played more senior games now than u21 games

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He cannot walk around with that hair anymore. Has to go. SAF wouldn't stand for it.
He cannot walk around with those arms too, I loved Denver but that's pushing it too far.

Dante

Average bang
Best crosser in the squad, right now.

The pace, curl and topspin he gets on them is incredible. Fires them in from really tight positions, too. That's a rare quality. Even peak Valencia used to need a yard of space.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
The way things are going he'll be changing his wheels soon...

Yep you're right....it's a Corsa :D

paulscholes18

If he keeps playing well might have a slight chance of making the Euros (depending on Luke Shaw) as 1 posistion isn't nailed down it is at left back.

JPRouve

Scout
I know that almost everyone will disagree with that, but he should be our left back even when Shaw comes back. Shaw is our Alaba, we can find him an other place in the team like LCB or Matuidi's role for PSG.

Empire

I know that most here had a go at LvG for having short squad of first team players but in cases like this,there is a positive side of his way too.
That's the point of the policy and it means players like Borthwick-Jackson will work that much harder and learn that much more early in the vital part of their career than had they not broken into the team until later so it helps his development and as a club you know what a player is made of when he enters the first team and shows you so you can plan transfers.

After losing Paul Pogba fans should have more respect for the policy of using youth over experienced stop gaps.

The dilemma we have here is that Shaw is really young so the only way we can make it work is if one of them can play another position.

Red_Beans

I know that almost everyone will disagree with that, but he should be our left back even when Shaw comes back. Shaw is our Alaba, we can find him an other place in the team like LCB or Matuidi's role for PSG.
What makes you think Shaw will be a better LCB than CBJ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
....has football intelligence. Will be a very good player down the road and probably make it here.

Vaguely reminiscent of Beaker from the Muppet Show.

JPRouve

Scout
What makes you think Shaw will be a better LCB than CBJ?
CBJ is a better crosser while Shaw is more physical and seems to be better at marking and covering. But Shaw is more experienced so in the future it could be the other way around.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
CBJ is a better crosser while Shaw is more physical and seems to be better at marking and covering. But Shaw is more experienced so in the future it could be the other way around.
Wouldn't say that just yet, I've also been impressed with Shaws delivery, especially earlier this season. However I do see your point.
I also think Shaw displayed excellent ability at running at players and being direct earlier this season too.

CBJ is looking like an excellent prospect though, we are blessed.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Why would you play someone who's actually played at CB a lot of times at LB and someone who's always played as a LB at CB? That makes no sense.

Shaw is miles better at running with the ball which is incredibly useful both defensively and offensively. Not even sure BJ is the better crosser. Shaw doesn't cross a whole lot but when he does they're usually fantastic.

JPRouve

Scout
Why would you play someone who's actually played at CB a lot of times at LB and someone who's always played as a LB at CB? That makes no sense.

Shaw is miles better at running with the ball which is incredibly useful both defensively and offensively. Not even sure BJ is the better crosser. Shaw doesn't cross a whole lot but when he does they're usually fantastic.
Because a players position at youth level isn't necessarily his position at professional level? Otherwise Makelele would be a winger.

And it's only a suggestion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.