Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very poor match for him. Embarrassed to watch in 2nd half.

Ace of Spades

A good first half, but poor second half. Then again, our entire team was poor in the second half.

SambaBoy

Didn't think he was that bad in all fairness. Kept it simple, gave the ball away a few times with some sloppy passes but positionally and defensively he was fine.

Crashoutcassius

At least he looks like a proper left back. He's 18 and local and surely has a long way to go, wouldn't be surprised if he played a role long term, but should ever have to play in a back four like that again, that should be guaranteed in january

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
At least he looks like a proper left back. He's 18 and local and surely has a long way to go, wouldn't be surprised if he played a role long term, but should ever have to play in a back four like that again, that should be guaranteed in january
Thats the big thing, when a 18 year old is being throw in like this he is going to need some help. Instead he is playing alongside Varela and McNair who are also being thrown in and Memphis in front who is also having a hard time and doesn't always work the hardest. Its about the worst environment possible for a young defender to make a debut.

Crashoutcassius

Thats the big thing, when a 18 year old is being throw in like this he is going to need some help. Instead he is playing alongside Varela and McNair who are also being thrown in and Memphis in front who is also having a hard time and doesn't always work the hardest. Its about the worst environment possible for a young defender to make a debut.
yeah very challenging, that said i Didn't think he looked amazing, particularly with the ball, but looked at least like a left back who knew the position, a step up from blackett

kundalini

First half impressive. 2nd half a bit careless with his passing, and beaten too easily one time. Overall I thought he was ok.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
yeah very challenging, that said i Didn't think he looked amazing, particularly with the ball, but looked at least like a left back who knew the position, a step up from blackett
I think it was clear he was hesitant which massively affected his play. Again, if he was in alongside a full strength team I'd imagine he be a lot more settled and natural in the play. He was almost always a step behind, waiting for things to happen before reacting, looked scared to commit. Was selling his passes too with his body movement. Its clear he is nervous and wasn't great but I still don't think he was terrible. I don't think we can forget this is a kid who is just stepping up to the u21s let alone first team football. He needs time and he needs to make mistakes and he'll learn from it.

Crashoutcassius

I think it was clear he was hesitant which massively affected his play. Again, if he was in alongside a full strength team I'd imagine he be a lot more settled and natural in the play. He was almost always a step behind, waiting for things to happen before reacting, looked scared to commit. Was selling his passes too with his body movement. Its clear he is nervous and wasn't great but I still don't think he was terrible. I don't think we can forget this is a kid who is just stepping up to the u21s let alone first team football. He needs time and he needs to make mistakes and he'll learn from it.
on the flip side think varela, who is 4 years older, looks quite comfortable. Might take a good amount of bedding in, but having varela going forward would make me happy

khoazany

Joyce needs to play him more at the left back role in the U21s.Should improve a lot when the season ends with the amount of U21s games in the second half.He still have a lot to learn at that level especially offensively and I do think he needs a loan (this has nothing to do with his performance tonight,just a thought about his development in general).

Last edited:

Ekeke

I think he looks okay. A poor cross or two when he had the chance and didnt win the ball a lot but I think overall he wasnt one of our bigger issues.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He looked... like an 18 year old playing football...

Give him time. Thought he was crap in the second half, but has really impressed, albeit inconsistently.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I won't blame him. He's not ready for the first team and it's not his fault he's playing there.

Devil may care

He looked out of his depth today but wasn't alone, the whole back 4 looked lost without Smalling. I don't think CBJ was helped by having the erratic Memphis in front of him.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Its not fair putting a youngster into a team full of other youngsters. This is down to injuries.
I really agree with this. What we are doing is no way to break these players into the team. One or two of them at a time, with support from more experienced players, if we want to bring them up and see what they can do. Because of the injuries it's like a reserve team out there.

Cathy Ferguson

Decent performance, but his lack of serious pace makes me doubt his credentials to become a top player. Could be a useful bak up to Shaw though.

DarkXaero

I thought he was awful in the second half today. But it's hard to put much blame on him, when he is being played out of necessity with our injury crisis, and squad depth. Not to mention he is very young. Too early to say whether he'll be good enough to become a PL player, let alone a backup player for us.

Sylar

He looked... like an 18 year old playing football...

Give him time. Thought he was crap in the second half, but has really impressed, albeit inconsistently.
Exactly. Hes going to be inconsistent and struggle at times. I dont think we are helping him at all by putting him in this position. We have to accept this will happen if he plays without experience with him, or getting a run of games to improve upon.

Acole9

Outstanding
Come on guys lay off him, he wasn't that bad. He's only played a few games for us so far and he's done alright.

m1y2

not sure if he was rather bad or good, certainly worse second half than the first one as he gave the ball away too much but I like his running and work with ball at his feet, looks composed and unfazed by occasion at all, I want him to start next game, we dont have any better options anyway..

norwich home could be a great game for some young players to kick on, hopefully another former academy product robbie brady won't tear us appart..

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
CAMERON KEEN FOR MORE FIRST-TEAM ACTION

In Saturday's programme, United Review, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson looked back on a whirlwind few weeks as he discussed his senior Manchester United debut and being part of the first-team squad...

Did U21s football prepare you at all for the Premier League?
I think it’s more about the physicality and the change in pace of the games. It’s a lot different to the U18s as you can sometimes get away with certain things, but if you make a mistake in the U21s, you get punished. I think playing against bigger and stronger players is a better test for you. It definitely helped coming up against senior players and testing yourself because it’s what you’re going to face in league football.

In terms of your technique, you’re left-footed so often play on that flank when you’re not in the middle of the defence…
I can operate on the right but I’m mainly used at centre-back or on the left-hand side. I enjoy either of the two positions as I’ve been rotated through them both. So I feel I’ve got a good understanding of both roles and it doesn’t really bother me where I play.

Your debut was part a whirlwind weekend for you because you were instantly called up to the England U19s squad for the first time…
I’d played in the U16s and U17s so I knew most of the lads in there and they are all good guys. It’s always an honour to represent your country and we played one game over in Holland, against Tim [Fosu-Mensah] and drew 2-2 before facing Japan at Manchester City’s training ground. So it was more good experience for me.

Another big step followed when you came on in Wolfsburg for your European debut…
Again, it was a dream come true. Making my Champions League debut at 18! My family were all so proud and I got loads of text messages from everyone saying how proud they were of me. I wasn’t nervous. To be honest, I don’t think I had time to be nervous. Matteo [Darmian] got injured and I warmed up very quickly and was soon thrown on.

You played your part in the build-up to Jesse’s disallowed goal – that was a key incident on a bad night for the Reds…
Jesse whipped it in and the referee initially gave the goal but they’ve gone to the assistant referee and disallowed it. I was very disappointed with that but you’ve got to take positives, even from a negative. The Europa League is still a very good tournament. It’s not the Champions League but there are still some of the top teams from throughout Europe in it. A lot of sides have Champions League experience and hopefully we’ll do well in the competition because we will be aiming to win it.

You also got a taste of continental football in the UEFA Youth League this season…
I played in three of the games and it is a different test. It is more about keeping the ball and breaking the opponents down. It is a lot more tactical and, although we did not qualify, I feel we did okay – especially in a couple of the ties.

The manager praised your performance in the 2-1 defeat against Bournemouth. Did you feel you’d played well in the game?
Yeah, I thought I had a good game even if the result was very disappointing. He has worked with some of the biggest names in world football so it’s great to hear that kind of encouragement from him. It’s wonderful for me to be working under Louis van Gaal and Ryan Giggs as I can learn so much. I just think I could still do more to influence those sort of games. I know I’m still young but I must try to have more influence in being able to grab a match by the scruff of the neck. I want to drive the game as much as the other players do. I realise I’m young and still learning and that will come over time. I need to keep working hard in training so I can drive the games later on.

You launched into two brave aerial challenges towards the end against the Cherries. Was it your way of showing you were determined to make your mark?
I think so. It’s just one of those things. I don’t give up. I keep going until the end. I think that is a good way of showing it. You have to be on your game, even if things are not going well – you must try something else and never give up. I’ll always keep going until the final whistle. I think I’ve always had that determination but the coaches here helped nurture it. Warren [Joyce] works us hard every day in terms of getting fit and improving our running power. He drills it into you mentally to never give up. Paul [McGuinness] does as well but he focuses on developing how we are as players. Warren has helped me a lot to become a professional and push on. He’s developing me as a man so I can compete in senior football. Especially with the modern game being faster than before, you have to be fitter and stronger to cope with the demands.

It was a tough week – physically and mentally – but the focus can now purely be on the domestic front for this busy period. Will that help?
I think we can push on. Obviously, with the squad we’ve got and the way we had been getting results until recently, we’ve been doing well. We just have to put the last few games behind us, look forward and push on and hopefully be title contenders. That is what Manchester United want to do. All the fans want us to do it and all the players want to win the league. That is the ambition.

Players do not get any time for celebrations over Christmas – is it something you are used to?
It’s just how it is, isn’t it? This is what I want to do and what comes along with it. It is a small sacrifice we have to make. I’ve had it over the years and can never complain because you are living the life you want to live.

Finally, 2015 must have exceeded all your expectations. What are your aims for 2016?
I suppose I would just like to become a regular in the first-team squad. That is what I’ve got to aim for, getting regular minutes in the Manchester United side. I need to make sure I’m in the manager’s thoughts and will keep working hard. I have to be ready for anything and, although I’m young and still learning, I think I can become a regular one day.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sounds like a sharp lad, I like how well he has performed in limited appearances with the 1st team already

Oo0AahCantona

He was "ok" brilliant cross was the highlight. Was a good cameo for him at a stage in the game where chelsea were very happy with a point and didnt put him under any real pressure. all he had to do was play it safe.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Nice cameo. Doesn't look fussed by big stage. Could have had a great assist.

Ixion

Very raw but he looks promising. Fantastic cross for Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.