Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

That's not really an issue if they are intelligent with their runs as CBJ was today. Neville and Irwin were hardly quick but both very intelligent players and the timing of their runs was fantastic.

Of all the players LVH has brought through CBK is the one who looks a proper prospect. Pity he's not a RB.
Both Darmian and to a lesser agree BJ were passed with ease simply by running past them. Sometimes intelligent runs just isn't enough. I don't buy into that "use your intelligence" over athleticism argument as that only work if the other player is stupid as feck and runs in a straight line. I doubt many PL players are that stupid. Darmian struggles one on one against quick agile players. BJ looks slightly better in that respect.

Also, football has changed since Neville and Irwin played. Look at Evra and Shaw for the importance of quick feet and mobility for a fullback. Both don't have to be, but at least one should be.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Both Darmian and to a lesser agree BJ were passed with ease simply by running past them. Sometimes intelligent runs just isn't enough. I don't buy into that "use your intelligence" over athleticism argument as that only work if the other player is stupid as feck and runs in a straight line. I doubt many PL players are that stupid. Darmian struggles one on one against quick agile players. BJ looks slightly better in that respect.

Also, football has changed since Neville and Irwin played. Look at Evra and Shaw for the importance of quick feet and mobility for a fullback. Both don't have to be, but at least one should be.
Evra is not a good example at all. He almost always beat his man going forward because the timing of his runs were brilliant which is what CBJ did today when he went past the Liverpool defender. Shaw is an exception as is someone like Bellerin. Would be great to have that kind of player but they are rare as feck. You don't need to be express at full back to be able to effect the game going forward.

Rossa

Evra is not a good example at all. He almost always beat his man going forward because the timing of his runs were brilliant which is what CBJ did today when he went past the Liverpool defender. Shaw is an exception as is someone like Bellerin. Would be great to have that kind of player but they are rare as feck. You don't need to be express at full back to be able to effect the game going forward.
What? Evra timed his runs very well, but he was faster than Shaw is and used his pace countless times both to get in behind the defense and to stop fast attackers. He often dribbled past and ran past defenders from a stand still - not typical traits of a fullback at all, and his pace certainly helped him run past defenders on well timed runs. Zabaleta is similar to what you describe. The only player Evra consistently struggled with on pace would be Lennon, but he's the fastest accelerating player I've seen.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What? Evra timed his runs very well, but he was faster than Shaw is and used his pace countless times both to get in behind the defense and to stop fast attackers. He often dribbled past and ran past defenders from a stand still - not typical traits of a fullback at all, and his pace certainly helped him run past defenders on well timed runs. Zabaleta is similar to what you describe. The only player Evra consistently struggled with on pace would be Lennon, but he's the fastest accelerating player I've seen.
Not really. Evra's main strength and reason he got in behind so many times was his timing of runs and running onto passes. The number of times he actually dribbled past players using his pace was miniscule in comparison.

Shimo

I say keep playing him at leftback over Darmian who looks really dodgy on that side of the field.

Absolute kudos to the boy for not looking out of place.

Rossa

Not really. Evra's main strength and reason he got in behind so many times was his timing of runs and running onto passes. The number of times he actually dribbled past players using his pace was miniscule in comparison.

Just watch parts of that clip, especially the first few minutes and tell me he did not use his pace. Your memory is very, very wrong. Looking at that video though, the thing I miss the most about him was his ability to initiate attacks from a defending position. He would intercept a pass or make a tackle, run past a player or two and make a great pass to an attacking player. We miss that.

He was bloody fast though - one of the fastest in the league in his prime.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Nothing wrong with my memory. 90% of the first few minutes is him running on to passes and making runs which no one tracks. He's obviously rapid but that wasn't why he was so good. CBJ isn't as quick but looks like he knows when to make runs and hopefully he can learn as he plays more.

He would intercept a pass or make a tackle, run past a player or two and make a great pass to an attacking player. We miss that.
This I agree with. Shaw has this in bundles though.

Rossa

Nothing wrong with my memory. 90% of the first few minutes is him running on to passes and making runs which no one tracks. He's obviously rapid but that wasn't why he was so good. CBJ isn't as quick but looks like he knows when to make runs and hopefully he can learn as he plays more.

This I agree with. Shaw has this in bundles though.
Shaw has what Evra had in bringing the ball out of defense, but he isn't quite as quick nor does he have the dribbling skills that Evra had. Keep watching and I think you'll see that Evra's pace helped him out massively both in attack and in defense. Outpaced Walcott for the ball (impressive that), I remember him outpacing Robben over and over, and ran past fullbacks like Bosingwa (before he turned shite) quite often. In defense, Evra relied a little too much on his pace, often allowing wingers a yard or two to force them down the line and then pin them down - often worked, but failed to do so when he lost a yard.

Agree that he was a master at making runs in behind the defense, but he didn't mind simply running past them either.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Just watch parts of that clip, especially the first few minutes and tell me he did not use his pace. Your memory is very, very wrong. Looking at that video though, the thing I miss the most about him was his ability to initiate attacks from a defending position. He would intercept a pass or make a tackle, run past a player or two and make a great pass to an attacking player. We miss that.

Man I miss Evra. I'd almost completely forgotten that brief period where he magically turned into Tim Cahill in the opposition box. :lol:

NK86

I like this kid's crossing. Better than all our attackers.

Water Melon

Very young but looks pretty mature and extremely composed. He will still be prone to an odd mistake here and there and could cost us points, however, so far he looks like a great little player in making. May it long continue.

ants7

Definitely deserves a shout. Came on on very difficult circumstances and did very well for his age and experience. Will probably have hit and miss performances but so far he has been surprisingly solid.

suheilsworld

What I like about him is that he is not scared and loves to whip in those crosses with his left. Proper guidance and training will really get that crosses perfected. I would like LVG to give him a decent run of games on the left and trust him. He can turn out to be something special for the future. Hope he doesn't become another Recce James. Where is him by the way? Used to like him

RedRover

Impressed me yesterday. Great attitude, not frightened to get stuck in and does well up and down the line. Looks mature beyond his years. A promising start to his senior career.

We need an rvn

only negative, and it's a positive negative for United, is when Shaw returns his opportunities will be limited. Shaw's not exactly a dinosaur is he at 21. Yes, we need cover for every position, something we're obviously lacking right now, specially at the back and up front, but having a good young left back on the bench when you've got Shaw in front of you in the pecking order is something that will eventually get to him.

but like a said, it's a positive negative for United having a good left back coming through and providing competition for Shaw when he's fit

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
only negative, and it's a positive negative for United, is when Shaw returns his opportunities will be limited. Shaw's not exactly a dinosaur is he at 21. Yes, we need cover for every position, something we're obviously lacking right now, specially at the back and up front, but having a good young left back on the bench when you've got Shaw in front of you in the pecking order is something that will eventually get to him.

but like a said, it's a positive negative for United having a good left back coming through and providing competition for Shaw when he's fit
We should have two quality players for each position on the field.

I'd much rather have Shaw and a proper left back to rotate with, rather than have Blind or Rojo fill out on that side and upset the balance of the rest of the team.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
A few people has stated now that Evra was faster than Shaw. I'm not so sure about that, Shaw's pace is ridiculous.

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought he did well against Liverpool, But I'll reserve judgment until this time next year. I can remember people rating McNair and Blackett last season and we can see how they have turned out.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Thought he did well against Liverpool, But I'll reserve judgment until this time next year. I can remember people rating McNair and Blackett last season and we can see how they have turned out.
Who rated Blackett?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Smalling: BORTHWICK-JACKSON CAN HANDLE ANY GAME

Smalling paid tribute to his fledgling team-mate and suggested he has a successful Reds career ahead of him. “I think he showed he is ready for a stage like this,” Chris explained. “He has been drip fed quite a few games this season and he has done very well. To be able to stand up here and perform like he did shows he is ready for any game because if you can perform here then you can perform anywhere in the league.”

Asked if he looks after Borthwick-Jackson on the pitch, offering guidance in different scenarios and situations, Smalling agreed but said Cameron can also look after himself: “I like to talk to the defence no matter who is playing. Maybe it’s a case of spurring him on when he does something good just to keep that going but on the whole he looks after himself because he is a very level-headed guy.”

Loublaze

ATLien
A few people has stated now that Evra was faster than Shaw. I'm not so sure about that, Shaw's pace is ridiculous.
Evra was definitely faster than Shaw. Shaw is rapid too but I don't think we've seen enough to suggest he's faster than Evra. Shaw shows his speed in bursts, Evra used his speed more frequently throughout an entire game and at top speed i'd say Evra at his peak had Shaw beat. You've either forgot or maybe you didn't see enough of Evra especially in his early seasons

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Evra was definitely faster than Shaw. Shaw is rapid too but I don't think we've seen enough to suggest he's faster than Evra. Shaw shows his speed in bursts, Evra used his speed more frequently throughout an entire game and at top speed i'd say Evra at his peak had Shaw beat. You've either forgot or maybe you didn't see enough of Evra especially in his early seasons
I actually reckon Shaw's top speed is probably faster than Evra's was, but Evra had faster acceleration, was faster when dribbling with the ball, and was better at running into space so was able to show his pace more often than Shaw.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

BJ was primarily a CB in his younger days, I'm sure he'll get plenty of game time whoever is in front of him at LB if he keeps improving. Could see him even getting a game as a DM too at some point perhaps a la Gibbs.

buckooo1978

watching that video makes me think that Evra would probably be the most skilful attacking threat in our team right now (as misleading as you tube clips may be)

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Let's just say they're both fast as feck and for the record I love Evra, for me better than Irwin. So I won't have any didn't see enough of Evra bullshit, I've probably seen 95 % of his United matches.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.