Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It’s not just Leicester and West Brom who’ve got results. And the teams don’t have to be world beaters across the season or even defensively reknowned. Just need to have their shit together for one game. Liverpool can make teams look silly but more often than not these big results have been against shambolic defences with opposition keepers chucking them in, or naive teams who concede one then go out chasing the game leaving gaps all over the place.
For all our faults defensively even you have to admit that going forward we’re pretty good most of the time. I think we force a lot of errors out of the opposition more than them just making errors without us doing anything.

If these defences are all so shambolic then they should be shipping multiple goals every week.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
True but saying that ( without going into the ref stuff ) Spurs did boss the second half at Anfield and twatted us at their gaff this season. Hope Juventus beat them.
We did but Salah still done his Messi impression. I think we will go through at home against Juve, I honestly hope all the English clubs do well.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
No I didn't. It was when the score was 3-0.
Do you mean that one weak bit of defending when he should’ve been stronger but let the Porto player past him in our box? He didn’t end up on his arse.

He did when Porto’s massive number 11 went in shoulder to shoulder with him in the first half though.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
For all our faults defensively even you have to admit that going forward we’re pretty good most of the time. I think we force a lot of errors out of the opposition more than them just making errors without us doing anything.

If these defences are all so shambolic then they should be shipping multiple goals every week.
You definitely force them into errors. And don’t know why you’re saying this ‘even you’ stuff. I’ve never denied your attack isn’t potent. I said you can easily embarrass sides.

Just well drilled sides or talented defences won’t be so easily forced into those errors and we’ve seen that multiple times this season, including a few times in the last couple of weeks.

I don’t think what I said was particularly controversial.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Yeah I wouldn’t fancy it against Spurs. I don’t really like the idea of playing City either. I think they’d beat us over two legs.

I wouldn’t mind seeing how we’d do against Barcelona.
I'd rather have City then Spurs being honest. Saying that though. It's always different when English teams play eachother in Europe. Anfield is usually a bit mental too. Just look how United shit themselves a few years back.

Draconifire

Supports
FC Barcelona
The game went exactly what I predicted.
Neymar being the ball hogger he is, not releasing it early. Slowing down attacks.
PSG being bottlers.
Real having some luck and stupid fouls from PSG.
Zidane going gung-ho and Emery doing shit about it, quite contrary enabling him.

PSG should have started Di Maria.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
We did but Salah still done his Messi impression. I think we will go through at home against Juve, I honestly hope all the English clubs do well.
If you play like you did against us at Anfield you'll go through. Its the only Spurs match I've seen this season being honest.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
You definitely force them into errors. And don’t know why you’re saying this ‘even you’ stuff. I’ve never denied your attack isn’t potent. I said you can easily embarrass sides.

Just well drilled sides or talented defences won’t be so easily forced into those errors and we’ve seen that multiple times this season, including a few times in the last couple of weeks.

I don’t think what I said was particularly controversial.
I said even you because generally speaking your Liverpool related posts don’t involve praise, although you do make some valid points about us.

It’s not a controversial opinion, but I don’t think it happens often enough to be considered a regular occurrence. We have our off days or come up against opposition who can shut us out now and then, but most of the time getting through a defence isn’t a problem. It’s the other end that continues to hold us back.

Retrokicks

Not sure how much Klopp paid the Porto keeper, but it must have been a fair sum :D

Some lovely attacking play from Liverpool though. They might have had a chance if not for the Champions League resembling the later stages of the FA Cup this season (assuming most English teams progress). Could be Tottenham's year? I think they're the one dangerous team that nobody would really fancy, but could end up unspectacularly sneaking it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Against a more competent side who can actually finish Madrid could find themselves going out to City or Bayern.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The only team who are capable of beating Real over two legs is us.

Everyone else shits the bed against them. It’s psychological more than anything else.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I'd rather have City then Spurs being honest. Saying that though. It's always different when English teams play eachother in Europe. Anfield is usually a bit mental too. Just look how United shit themselves a few years back.
Spurs have got injuries back(Dembele, Wanyama) and hit some great form at the right time, have looked well up for the CL this year. Im not sure who would want to draw them this year in the CL and fancy it as an easy match. Didnt they get a draw away at the Bernabeu? Which PSG couldnt manage, and a draw away against Juventus just yesterday, turned over RM at home, thrashed Liverpool at home, got a draw at Anfield, and handily dealt with Dortmund.

Having said that, City have to be favourites from amongst the EPL sides. Despite Liverpool thrashing a poor Porto side, we seen how relevant those sort of results are when you are talking about playing top sides with Arsenal thrashing Everton 5-1 then losing to Spurs.

Ardis

I hope Juve goes to London with an astute Italian game plan and wins. If Dybala can play at his top level all those stiff, tall Spurs defenders will soil themselves.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The only team who are capable of beating Real over two legs is us.

Everyone else shits the bed against them. It’s psychological more than anything else.
I would love to see Madrid vs City, City wouldn't eff up the chances PSG did.

DdeGoat

I would love to see Madrid vs City, City wouldn't eff up the chances PSG did.
Wouldn't be too confident of City against any good counter-attacking team. Either of Bayern or Real will be more than a match for them.

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool
Few years back? Utd has been shutting themselves at Anfield lately, especially since Mourinho took control of man UTD.

RooneyLegend

Wouldn't be too confident of City against any good counter-attacking team. Either of Bayern or Real will be more than a match for them.
Madrid's pressing will falter vs City imo, yesterday was a match based on each sides ability to purely attack as neither could slow the other team down getting the other side of the pitch hence there wasn't all that much sustained pressure. If City don't make careless mistakes vs either one of those teams we saw yesterday i expect them to win.

RooneyLegend

Emery just isn't quite cut out for this level. He's basically another Pellegrini without being as attacking. The sub to bring off their striker for a right back and leave Alves on was just comical and playing with an inexperienced midfielder vs Madrid is suicidal.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Have you ever played football? They have to anticipate or else it’s past them in a flash. Goalkeepers aren’t all like Oblak.
Sorry for the late reply, but there are many keepers who do decide to stay up and move the way they see the shot moving. I feel Navas should've been smarter as Rabiot was also shooting with his weaker foot and therefore there was a high chance the shot would be weak, as it was in the end.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's funny how Liverpool fans seem keen to convince themselves of these 'facts' after every match ("Oh, he was excellent") yet he drops a bollock in almost every match he plays. The phase of play I alluded to above was not the defending of a world class centre-back, or anything like it. It was the same against Spurs: what good is it being "excellent" for 95% of the match if you have a penchant of cocking-up with poor positional play and rash decision-making which culminates in the concession of goals?
I have said this before in the Phil Jones thread. People have completely unrealistic expectations of CBs. I really do not know how you watch that match and think Van Dijk played poorly.

Hamadovich86

I'd never bet against Madrid in the CL, its their competition even if their form is not great. The tie is still open unless Madrid scores two quick goals in Paris.
Was surprised by the Liverpool result, they wrapped up that tie nicely. For some reason I am not looking forward to our game against Sevilla I feel like we're going to struggle for no good reason.

Johnnyredboots

So say we manage to get past Sevilla and we drew an english club in the next round, who would you rather get beat by? City, Liverpool or Spurs? (providing they go through)

Am i doing this RedCafe thing right?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Never understood that mentality...cheering on a team just because they represent your country or hoping they do well just for the coefficients and crap! Not a chance!
It's the cheer for the Epl in the leagues championship. Up there with the netspend cup and the retweets clubs competition.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So say we manage to get past Sevilla and we drew an english club in the next round, who would you rather get beat by? City, Liverpool or Spurs? (providing they go through)

Am i doing this RedCafe thing right?
No. You need to open a thread about it

ZAGREB RED

Almost depressing to see City and Liverpool take - admittedly pretty mediocre - teams apart away from home in the last couple of nights, knowing that had United been involved in either tie, most probably we would have seen a scraped 1-0 win, a frustrating draw or even worse, a 1-0 defeat similar to the one at Newcastle last weekend.
Hopefully United will produce a sparkling away performance in Seville next week and prove me wrong. I hope so, although I think it's fair to say Seville will be tougher opponents than either Basel or Porto.
I do think City have got a very real chance of winning the CL this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSG have a good chance of going through still but Emery my god, he has to get a grip!
And Neymar needs to be less selfish in the 2nd leg, too many times Mbappe was free for a pass and he was just doing his nonsense. And they need experience in midfield so that means Lo Ceso needs to stay on the bench.

I thought Di Maria was in good form so i can't understand why he didn't play, they need him involved in the next leg.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
I hope Juve goes to London with an astute Italian game plan and wins. If Dybala can play at his top level all those stiff, tall Spurs defenders will soil themselves.
Spurs are a good side and while anything is possible in football, they certainly have the advantage for the second leg. At 2 - 0 up, at home, Juve had their chance to put Spurs to the sword but it was they who ‘soiled’ themselves. Hope Spurs see it through.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Loved Firmino's little flick in the build-up to our 3rd goal.

If a Brazilian did that they'd be gushing over it for weeks.
Now, guess Firmino's nationality!

Lyricist

Was it last season or the one before where Juve tied Bayern 2-2 at home and were already written off. Then they suddenly were up 2-0 after like 30 mins in the return leg in Munich?

I wouldn’t say they’re out of it just yet.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
I still fancy Madrid to get knocked out.

They went away to Spurs and got battered. PSG could definitely overturn a 2 goal deficit back in Paris. Madrid can be got at defensively and PSG looked more than capable of scoring against them. Madrid got incredibly lucky last night.

What I did gather from that is as a Spurs fan...PSG look like absolutely nothing to fear either. I don't see either of the teams last night as winners of the CL this season although history does suggest you can never write off Madrid.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Was it last season or the one before where Juve tied Bayern 2-2 at home and were already written off. Then they suddenly were up 2-0 after like 30 mins in the return leg in Munich?

I wouldn’t say they’re out of it just yet.

But ultimately lost 4 - 2.

For sure Juventus are definitely not out of it but a few things count in Spurs favour quite heavily.

1 Spurs excellent home record. Beaten Madrid, Dortmund, Liverpool, United, Arsenal there this season and actually very comfortably too. So far as to say they've actually battered all those teams, they weren't even close games.

2. The pattern of the first leg game where bar a few moments Juventus didn't seem to have an answer to Spurs tactics.

3. Juventus don't travel very well in Europe and particularly England.

4. Spurs have 2 away goals which means Juventus will have to attack..which should play into Spurs hands.

If Juventus go to Wembley and win it would be an amazing result considering all of the above.

Classical Mechanic

Almost depressing to see City and Liverpool take - admittedly pretty mediocre - teams apart away from home in the last couple of nights, knowing that had United been involved in either tie, most probably we would have seen a scraped 1-0 win, a frustrating draw or even worse, a 1-0 defeat similar to the one at Newcastle last weekend.
Hopefully United will produce a sparkling away performance in Seville next week and prove me wrong. I hope so, although I think it's fair to say Seville will be tougher opponents than either Basel or Porto.
I do think City have got a very real chance of winning the CL this season.
We put four past CSKA away in the group stage.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Few years back? Utd has been shutting themselves at Anfield lately, especially since Mourinho took control of man UTD.
I was on about the Europa game. As the players lined up and we sang You'll Never Walk Alone some of the United players were looking over their shoulders at the Kop. Either in admiration or shitting it or possibly both.