Class of 92: Out of their league

togg

I thought it was a really well put together documentary and a good insight into how a club outside the main leagues survives and the conditions they have to work in. Gary is obviously a hyper control freak, but no doubt the most intelligent, focused and ambitious. Giggs always appears as though someone has just woken him up from a Sun Lounger and doesn't quite know what is going on. I think Butt is still in trauma about his hair, struck dumb by the lack of it. Scholes always talks as though he's just learnt how to talk. Phil obviously moisterises....

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Thought it was a fairly decent watch. Didnt do much to give me faith in Giggs as our future manager, certainly not if this is to be only 2 years away. He just didn't want to make a decision on anything, its nice to be able to step back and think about stuff sometimes rather than being the heart on sleeve type like Gary, but if he's going to be manager here he needs to seem like he has a backbone and can put his foot down.

The Caf is currently wondering why LvG doesnt seem to have the balls to drop Wayne Rooney. Can you imagine Giggs with that decision to make currently? Im more inclined to think Giggs would be giving Rooney free reign on line-up choice, position he plays, tactics, everything.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don't get the hate for the Class of 92 stuff. It's funny to listen to and it does seem to of stemmed from when Keane slagged them off. I don't get why people would dislike them really. So what if they've made the whole thing a bit of a brand, what's the problem with that? Few people trying to make a bit of money off their success is suddenly a bad thing. It's not different to the Beckham Brand or the Ronaldo brand etc. If anything the Class of 92 one is the one United fans should be most proud of as it is something our club created. Instead people seem to have this thing where they find it "cringey" that they've had some kind of success after football, I don't get it really.
It doesn't help that Brand Beckham was the biggest part of Class of 92 (from a marketing point of view) and he has nothing to do with this.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
It doesn't help that Brand Beckham was the biggest part of Class of 92 (from a marketing point of view) and he has nothing to do with this.
Not quite sure whether you mean the reason people are being arseholes about this venture is because it's class of 92 but Beckham's not there or that people are broadly dismissive of all the class of 92 stuff because brand Beckham is derided by many United fans.

If Becks had been involved I think it might have been viewed slightly differently given that there's only really United that ties him to the area, but this is a bunch of lads who grew up in and around Greater Manchester and still live there and I personally think it's strange to see supposed United fans running them down for this.

misterredmist

I can't believe Gary Neville's wife & kids put up with him having 3 jobs - he's asking for trouble, as well as running the Hotel at OT and renovating the old Stock Exchange......

As a whole , nice to see the guys backing a local Club, but you just know that things will never be the same for Salford City and, I don't think they'll make it work either. The 5 of them are throwing money at it, as well as the Singaporian investor, and they are managing the club by committee.

P Nev will do a bit of coaching, G Nev sits in on half time team talk, deals with the Club Sec and has his nose in everything. They've already booted the manager out, it's clear they have a few pre-Madonna's in the team.....

I think they'll do a "Dragons" within 3 years ......." I'm ooot "

as for the comment above about RG being the next United Boss, too right , he hardly comes out as Mr Decisive does he ?

Good, entertaining watch, but sad to see they've proved Keane right about being a "brand"......

I think the program will soon change to "out of their Depth" ..... let's face it, they're all used to getting everything they want, when they want, and not having to do much themselves.....

I hope they prove me wrong and Salford City prosper but I fear it will be a busted flush

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I enjoyed it. Goes to show the commitment required.

Glad to see the manager got the boot, thought he was a smug cnt

Blatzo

I think the documentary has been really well made. There was a nice blend of humour, drama, jeopardy, narrative and at times a real touching human side (looking at alcoholism and depression). I kept checking the time left - I was watching on iPlayer - and hoping it wasn't ending soon. I really enjoyed it.

Watching them train under the old manager showed that we're still stuck in the past here in Britain in terms of football coaching. He basically made them run and run and run and run and then played 5-a-side. There is literally nothing in that session which focuses on the technical or even tactical side of the game. Sadly, at its core, British football is still centred around "not being a pansy" and "wanting it more" and all that other useless cliche.

I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I hope they keep it as honest as possible without throwing in unnecessary spin to spice bits of it up.

Minimalist

Dunno how you've come to that conclusion. BBC wouldn't put something on their main channel at one of their prime times if only "a small section of United supporters" cared. For what it's worth I've spoke to a few City fans about it all who watched it and all who found it interesting.

I don't get the hate for the Class of 92 stuff. It's funny to listen to and it does seem to of stemmed from when Keane slagged them off. I don't get why people would dislike them really. So what if they've made the whole thing a bit of a brand, what's the problem with that? Few people trying to make a bit of money off their success is suddenly a bad thing. It's not different to the Beckham Brand or the Ronaldo brand etc. If anything the Class of 92 one is the one United fans should be most proud of as it is something our club created. Instead people seem to have this thing where they find it "cringey" that they've had some kind of success after football, I don't get it really.

They do use that success for publicity of sorts, with this documentary, Neville and Giggs buying that hotel but again what's the problem with that? It's free publicity. If anything it's better as they're probably being paid to appear on the shows or giving interviews etc. Fair play to them really.

It's funny how people strongly dislike the idea of them yet still either watched the show or moaned about it without watching it.
Might not be addressed to me but I don't see many in this thread who 'hate' any of them. Some just aren't bothered.

Oggmonster

Might not be addressed to me but I don't see many in this thread who 'hate' any of them. Some just aren't bothered.
Yeah wasn't addressed to you mate. Just quoted you for the first bit. I don't think any United fan hates them but it does seem people dislike the brand they've created for themselves. Each to their own I suppose.

I can understand people not being interested and thus avoiding it which is fair enough but some just seem to moan about it for the sake of it though at times.

Seems a lot of people either side with Keane or them since Keane's comments....I doubt many people know both groups personally so I don't know why people can't just like both Keane and the Class of 92.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Those slagging off the lads and finding the Class of '92 stuff embarassing & cringey might not have noticed that at some point they've all said much the same thing themselves and aren't comfortable with it. That title they've been given is a media construct and not one they've dreamt up themselves as some kind of marketing tool but it's stuck.

They all strike me as pretty down to earth and humble lads who would be mortified at suggestions that any success in the past has been entirely down to them. Quite the opposite in fact as they were team players to a man.

Seems to me they're a cracking bunch of fellas with a genuine attachment to club and community and if we had a few more of those pulling on a shirt now we'd be a lot better off. Some of the whingers in here don't deserve them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A bit like you with little brain power if you cannot understand that this is a very small and easy mistake to make! It's hard enough to learn a language, let alone the slight interpretative differences and slang!
Wait I've just seen this. What the feck is your problem getting personal with me? I was having a joke and your questioning 'my lack of brain power?' This forum sometimes fecking hell.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't get me wrong the class of 92 are a one off and I loved watching them and truly admired them as players but this documentary I am not enjoying one bit. Not only is this a bit cringe worthy in places but it makes the club look a bit of a circus as well really, I feel sorry for their fans. Only positive for me is Gareth Seddon, he seems like a decent bloke.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I thought it was a really well put together documentary and a good insight into how a club outside the main leagues survives and the conditions they have to work in. Gary is obviously a hyper control freak, but no doubt the most intelligent, focused and ambitious. Giggs always appears as though someone has just woken him up from a Sun Lounger and doesn't quite know what is going on. I think Butt is still in trauma about his hair, struck dumb by the lack of it. Scholes always talks as though he's just learnt how to talk. Phil obviously moisterises....
That's our next manager you are talking about.:nervous:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't get me wrong the class of 92 are a one off and I loved watching them and truly admired them as players but this documentary I am not enjoying one bit. Not only is this a bit cringe worthy in places but it makes the club look a bit of a circus as well really, I feel sorry for their fans. Only positive for me is Gareth Seddon, he seems like a decent bloke.
Salford's first round F.A. Cup match is on BBC2 next Friday night.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Don't get me wrong the class of 92 are a one off and I loved watching them and truly admired them as players but this documentary I am not enjoying one bit. Not only is this a bit cringe worthy in places but it makes the club look a bit of a circus as well
Funnily enough, a tv review I read speculated that the doc. makers were deliberately making the whole thing seem laughable:

Former Manchester United fullback Gary Neville wasn’t in the most cheerful mood either, in Class Of ’92: Out Of Their League (BBC1). With former team-mates Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and brother Phil Neville, he was co-owner of soccer minnows Salford City FC, and it wasn’t going according to plan.

Gary was trying to be a proper football boss, talking about himself in the third person, threatening to don his boots and get on the pitch whenever the team was playing badly.

But this documentary just wouldn’t take him seriously. Every time he made a grand pronouncement, the camera would cut away to a bewildered tea lady, and a comedy tuba struck up on the soundtrack.

You could almost suspect director Nick Mattingly was taking the mickey. When he interviewed Gary’s star striker before a match, the man was on the toilet and all we could see were his knees.

Gary and his pals did everything they could think of to imitate Premier League methods. They sold half the club to a Singapore businessman. They changed the colour of the shirts. They sacked their manager, even though he’d won the first eight games of the season. If they still need advice on how to copy success badly, they could ask Auntie.

(Mail Online)

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Neville is clearly the hands on exec in the 'project', meeting the chairperson, checking progress on the ground works meeting with the fan groups and all that. I get the impression he's concerned with the business side of things, building a brand and long term strategy.

Phil to a lesser extent is obviously concerning himself more with the on field side of things.

The rest are non exec partners.

That's actually a quite sensible approach really. You can't have all 5 of them chipping in and wanting their say on everything on a constant basis, thats not how a business is run - you'd get nothing done, they will leave it up to Gary, mostly, I would imagine.

The bit about the dodgy Sky Box was very funny :lol:

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I thought it was a good watch. I found it really interesting that lots of the fanbase appear to have doubts about the lads' intentions, about the speed of the changes, and that they were going to end up being too far removed from what the club was before they took over. I naively thought that they'd be welcomed with open arms, that the fans would appreciate the upgraded facilities and big ambitions, and that it would be relatively smooth sailing :lol:

It seems that a large part of the attraction of lower league football is the relative paucity of big spending foreign chairmen and toilets that work. Who knew?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Thought it was pretty good. Still find it somewhat ironic the Class of 92 believing there's a need to sack a manager. Episode two sometime next week?

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I enjoyed it.

Interested to see what the change of management brings, as from the clip last week it look more of the same... lower league Stuart Pearce tub thumping this is Engerrrrrrland and we are gunnar effing kill Em type stuff.

Needham

I enjoyed it.

Interested to see what the change of management brings, as from the clip last week it look more of the same... lower league Stuart Pearce tub thumping this is Engerrrrrrland and we are gunnar effing kill Em type stuff.
Pearce didn't roll like that as a manager. That was half the problem. Consciously tried to keep his style a million miles away from his Psycho image, a reputation he should have leveraged when the teams he managed were struggling.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought it was an excellent watch. A really well-shot documentary that allowed the personalities of multiple characters to come through. It did a grand job of getting the view points from different sides across, whilst ramping up the drama of what is basically a bog standard season in the part-time leagues.

Really looking forward to part 2.

VP

Its a great watch and a fascinating insight into non-league football, although I have to question how much of it was for the cameras. Some of the characters come out as caricatures.

Other observation: I don't think Giggs has the personality or presence to be a successful manager. Also did Nicky Butt say anything at all?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I really enjoyed it. The lads obviously have such a strong bond, and it comes across well.

Loved Gary asking Scholes to play a game:

Nev: "What'd you think about playing for Salford in the FA Cup on the 30th September...one word answer?"

Scholes: "Shambles"

Nev: "Go on, one game, I'll play if you play"

Scholes: "I'm fat as feck"

:lol::lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just watched the first episode. Felt sorry for the bloke with depression, more needs to be done to help footballers after and during they finish. Good insight into what it's like being an owner though even at lower league level, although it does look like these lads (G. Neville especially) are trying to be as hands on as possible. I really like Neville.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Part 2 tomorrow evening at 9pm

It's February at Salford FC and new managers Anthony `Jonno' Johnson and Bernard Morley have arrived, bringing a fearsome reputation and much-needed discipline. It's a tough regime and one the former Manchester United stars need to learn to accept. With rivals Darlington now sitting at the top of the league, everyone is expected to dedicate themselves to winning the last games to claim promotion. But the star striker's day job and a well-intended evening out have dire consequences, much to the frustration of the new owners. Will the Class of 92's gamble pay off?
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dttwsq/class-of-92-out-of-their-league--series-1---episode-2