g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

Only reason we’re stuck with them is because of a feud between Sir Alex and John Magnier over a bloody racehorse.

Ridiculous myth that you buy a football club because two strangers are having an argument over a horse.

Woziak

See above. Nobody would do that.

If Avram and Joel actually do this (in some shape or form) they will have to relinquish control to a considerable degree. The investors/buyers (of the other siblings' shares) would be on the board, etc. It would be a new ownership structure, essentially.
Exactly this, if the four siblings are selling for £2.25-2.6bn for 63% of the voting shares, the very least they would agree on is 46-49% of the voting shares. Assuming the Glazers want £6bn then 69% of that figure is £4.14bn, the maths state that 63% of that 4.14bn is £2.6bn which means the minority investment values the club at £5bn as well.

The only way this happens is a laddered or Ratcheted minority buy out which is a half way house with a contractual obligation by the Glaziers and VC Carlyle to buy chunks of equity shares released probably every 2 years. This would mean they might buy out the other 4 siblings for £2.2bn( All of this money going to the Glazers). So no money for the club to pay debt, buy players, build stadiums. This means that the remaining glaziers would agree 35%Vc/65% Joel and Avram of controlling shares 69% of club, then in 2025 they buy another 14% so owning 49/51 but this chunk of money again goes to the Glazers then in 2027 they buy another 15% so VC owns 64 and Joel and Avram own 36% of the 69% of voting shares then In 2029 another 15% so VC would own 79% and Avram and Joel 21%, then finally in 2031 the split is 90/10.

If this happens then the VC hedge fund will invest into the club with capital expenditure in the hope they will eventually own most of the asset in 5 or 6 years. This means that they may pay £5-5.5bn for the club over a period of 5 or 6 years with Joel and Avram by then being token directors looking for a final pay day from a small 10% voting stake in 2030.

This method could also be a deal between SJR and a VC joining up just as easily as Elliot’s or Carlyle Agreeing a very extensive contract with Joel and Avram that basically ties them up in knots in 2/3 years where they relinquish control.

jm99

This should be all people need to see to understand the idea that a sale was pretense to drive up the value of the club and get a greater amount of credit based on an inflated value. Any hint that they'll stay drops the value massively, no institution with the capital to loan multiple billions, which is the kind of investment needed in the team and infrastructure, is going to be hoodwinked by a temporarily inflated price.

The idea that they've hired raine to go through this process, pissed off potential bidders and its all to secure more funding based on a value that is assigned primarily on the leeches leaving, is just such a poor grasp of economics

C'est Moi Cantona

It presented the opportunity for Glazer to increase his holding and force a buyout. I thought this was well known?
I assumed the poster wasn't been serious.

If only Rock of Gibraltar had been an average racehorse this pain would never have happened.

AlexUTD

If this actually has any validity, Manchester United fans need to collectively take a stand and boycott the club until those parasites actually leave. Hit them where it hurts, we cannot keep letting them get away with owning this club as it continues to fall further behind.
Will it?

There has only been 1 meaningful matchday protest against the Glazers and that was the one that got the Liverpool game called off.

Even the ludicrous "stay outside" protest failed last year.

With so much left to play for, I'd hazard a guess that less than 1,000 people will engage in anything.
Exactly!

There's always talk of a major backlash but they've been here for 18 years!

Unless things start to go wrong on the pitch again only a tiny minority of fans will kick off. The majority of match going fans in particular aren't going to kick up too much of a fuss. They never do.
I have been saying this for years..

stop buying merchandise and buy tickets and the leeches would have to sell.

But people would rather whine about it for 17 years and not do anything.

i used to buy the home/away/3rd kits every year and other merchandise and go yo matches and pay for MUTV.

The last 5 years i have not spent a dime on the club cause of the Glazers. And wont spend until the feckers are out.

I pay for membership in the norwegian supporter club but thats it.

Still think it's just posturing. Someone will pay up and the Glazers will feck off home.
With Glazers you mean "Moving slow like a glacier in the transfer market and sale of club" ?

Telsim

The stock has absolutely tanked to it's lowest point since the club was put up for sale. There were many reports expressing doubt about the sale, but it never reached this low before. Pretty clear the market feels where this is going. And it also got picked up by Reuters, though they quoted ESPN.

DSG

This keeps getting repeated, but the truth is we don't know the details around this, as it is not a uniform law across business. Different conditions may apply. It could be that shares change from B to A only if they are sold on the open market, which would make sense for obvious reasons. Or perhaps the Glazers don't trust each other and have this to prevent other siblings secretly selling class B shares to a third party. So, maybe B shares stay B if they are sold to a third party by unanimous vote.

Or this could be entirely wrong. We just don't know enough.
All of these acquisitions could potentially change the biz structure. I seriously doubt, as @Woziak mentioned, that institutional investors would put up over 1billion without a seat on the board and for class A essentially non-voting shares. If, on the other hand, we had Jack Welch / Steve Jobs / Elon Musk as CEO with a proven record of driving extreme shareholder value, maybe you’d see large cash injections for substandard equity positions, but post SAF, there is no evidence to indicate the Glazers are management geniuses. The opposite, in fact.

The IPO SEC filing:

"Each Class A ordinary share is entitled to one vote per share and is not convertible into any other shares of our capital stock. Each Class B ordinary share is entitled to 10 votes per share and is convertible into one Class A ordinary share at any time. In addition, our Class B ordinary shares will automatically convert into shares of our Class A ordinary shares upon certain transfers and other events, including upon the date when holders of all Class B ordinary shares cease to hold Class B ordinary shares representing, in the aggregate, at least 10% of the total number of Class A and Class B ordinary shares outstanding. For special resolutions (which are required for certain important matters including mergers and changes to our governing documents), which require the vote of two-thirds of the votes cast, at any time that Class B ordinary shares remain outstanding, the voting power permitted to be exercised by the holders of the Class B ordinary shares will be weighted such that the Class B ordinary shares shall represent, in the aggregate, 67% of the voting power of all shareholders."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1549107/000104746912008161/a2210672z424b4.htm
By reading of the SEC filing, the second sentence says it all. The Glazers clan own 69% of all shares. They’ve already lost Class B rights unless Class A shares held are under 10% of the entire number of shares outstanding. I know they have other institutional investors…not sure if they hold A or B shares. The Glazers control everything now because they have 69% of all shares held. Once they dip below the 67% mark (which they would, if they accepted another multibillion offer for the other Glazer children shares), they effectively lose control of the company.

Scenario 1: Carlyle or another group buy shares of group of 4 Glazers who want out. Those shares convert to Class A shares, it’s above 10%, therefore if Joel/Avram don’t sell, their shares still convert to Class A, one vote per share. They now have the same piece of the company, but are no longer holding Class B shares, which no longer exist. And, since the two of them only have 33%ish, they have lost control.

Scenario 2: Over 10% of outstanding shares are Class A currently, before the sale of shares by the Raine Group. In this case, all shares are Class A, but the Glazers have a voting block of 69% and therefore have been able to maintain control over the management of the club. Once the Gang of 4 Glazers are bought out, you have a situation where no group will own 67%, but all shareholders are equal and any company resolution would require 67% of shareholders approval.

Scenario 3: they rip up the bylaws and build in an new share structure. I don’t see this as likely as there may be certain laws they need to abide by to fulfill SECgoverning requirements.

DSG

Nah it doesn’t work like that, the contract has been written in such a way that their shares are worth 10* A Shares and even if the two just stayed they would still be in charge due to the strength of their B shares but with the caveat that would be rife for a hostile takeover like I said there has to be a complete financial restructure of the company if four siblings leave and are bought out by VC and they are not doing that unless they have a major say in the club going forward which means they would want a rewritten contract of ownership and registration guaranteeing their £2bn is worth at least 49% of the voting shares, plus if they were financing the new stadium refurb and paying off the debt, so basically a debt consolidation package worth £2bn over 10 years, that pays the debt of £600m off, makes £1bn available for new stadium and £400m for transfers in next two windows. All this would have to be repaid, probably at a much reduced interest rate on a 10 year period. Putting this into perspective we would need to make a profit of £200m per year to repay the loan Even If it’s interest free. The only way this works is if the club owns its own digital and broadcasting rights and Saturday 3pm games are no longer broadcast black outs.
If the SEC filing is correct, then there may not even be a Class B share anymore, ifI am reading that right. I think this may be spin, but at the end of the day, it’s more likely than not that Joel and Avram, those fecks, will have nothing to do with club management if the other 4 sell.

Someone

Something
Can't understand the sense behind staying from the Glazers perspective. A new owner willing to put billions into the club might see the value increase significantly over the next decade, but otherwise what will debt and failure on the pitch mean other than decreased value?

Loon

:lol:
What is the longest thread in Caf history? This will surely blow it out of the water when it reaches its tragic conclusion...

pogbasformerbarber

I have no inside information obviously, but as someone thats worked in finance for over two decades I don't see a scenario in the Glazer's current financial position where they really could move forward with a controlling interest. Firstly, its clear they simply can't move forward with their current debt service.

I've said this in other posts but simply put...it makes no finacial sense for them to do a partial sale that keeps them in control...they are too leveraged, and the Glazers would be mad to give up extremely valuable minority equity to simply take out debt when they have current massive bids for a total sale. That "given up" equity would only appreciate more before the eventual future sale down the road. It's beyond stupid and the Glazers are not stupid financially (just in other ways...). This is why there have been partial buyers that have submitted bids that have claimed publicly they don't think the Glazers are serious about the partial bids, and have pulled their offers.

Because of that, I see this as really just a ploy to move up the bid amounts by creating false urgency. It will work sadly...The Glazers are going to make a fortune on this (total) sale.

I highly doubt the full sale is any real danger IMHO...

croadyman

And that would be an easier way for Joel and Avram to lose control of the club beause all it would take is for the VC to buy enough shares to give it the extra 2% needed for absolute majority at an AGM and sell off the controlling shares to Qatar or Sir Jim at a premium.

I am certain that both minority investors are targeting some form of debt entrapment and the Glazers will have someone in the building smart enough to see this from a long way out. I am reasonably confident that the Glazers are entertaining this minority interest and briefing on it to put pressure on Jassim and Jim.
I have little faith this pressure will pay off

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldnt be surprised if there were some heavy riots if they did stay

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Only reason we’re stuck with them is because of a feud between Sir Alex and John Magnier over a bloody racehorse.
Kind of weird that Magnier and McManus took on Sir Alex and didn’t just resolve the issue amicably. Any fool could have seen the club and the fan base would side with the gaffer.
Real shame what it lead to however. Very opportunistic of Malcolm Glazer to poach the club the way he did.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Happy for them to stay but I still don't think it seems very likely.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Happy for them to stay but I still don't think it seems very likely.
Er, what?

I'm not looking for an answer, there's no answer that makes sense on a United forum.

Pscholes18

It won't increase: but the B shares (the type owned by the Glazers) will (or so people think) be converted to A shares once sold: this means that if e.g. Bryan Glazer sells a share to me, that share goes from being "worth" ten votes for him (class B) to being worth just one vote for me (class A).
Okay, thanks.

RopersReturn

Exactly this, if the four siblings are selling for £2.25-2.6bn for 63% of the voting shares, the very least they would agree on is 46-49% of the voting shares. Assuming the Glazers want £6bn then 69% of that figure is £4.14bn, the maths state that 63% of that 4.14bn is £2.6bn which means the minority investment values the club at £5bn as well.

The only way this happens is a laddered or Ratcheted minority buy out which is a half way house with a contractual obligation by the Glaziers and VC Carlyle to buy chunks of equity shares released probably every 2 years. This would mean they might buy out the other 4 siblings for £2.2bn( All of this money going to the Glazers). So no money for the club to pay debt, buy players, build stadiums. This means that the remaining glaziers would agree 35%Vc/65% Joel and Avram of controlling shares 69% of club, then in 2025 they buy another 14% so owning 49/51 but this chunk of money again goes to the Glazers then in 2027 they buy another 15% so VC owns 64 and Joel and Avram own 36% of the 69% of voting shares then In 2029 another 15% so VC would own 79% and Avram and Joel 21%, then finally in 2031 the split is 90/10.

If this happens then the VC hedge fund will invest into the club with capital expenditure in the hope they will eventually own most of the asset in 5 or 6 years. This means that they may pay £5-5.5bn for the club over a period of 5 or 6 years with Joel and Avram by then being token directors looking for a final pay day from a small 10% voting stake in 2030.

This method could also be a deal between SJR and a VC joining up just as easily as Elliot’s or Carlyle Agreeing a very extensive contract with Joel and Avram that basically ties them up in knots in 2/3 years where they relinquish control.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the the abbreviation “VC”, stand for ?

Last edited:

RopersReturn

Ridiculous myth that you buy a football club because two strangers are having an argument over a horse.
Not really, there was a court dispute over it ultimately resulting in JP McManus putting the club up for sale. Malcolm Glazer was all the while monitoring the situation in the hope of securing a leveraged buy out.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Kind of weird that Magnier and McManus took on Sir Alex and didn’t just resolve the issue amicably. Any fool could have seen the club and the fan base would side with the gaffer.
Real shame what it lead to however. Very opportunistic of Malcolm Glazer to poach the club the way he did.
Obvious you don’t know much about the history. SAF was humiliated.

Status
Not open for further replies.