Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And you have the will of power to stop rooting and having feelings about the club you supported your whole life because of owners?
Why didn't you stop (by you i mean "loads of people") rooting for United with Glazers owning us?
They're good people? Do we know anything about them?

What's the "line you won't cross" in regards to "owners of the club"?
The Glazers might not be good people but they are not a State regime with multiple human rights violations (as the Qatar take-over is very clearly a State-backed acquisition with Jassim as the face of it). That is my line in the sand.

Do I have the power to stop rooting for the team or having feelings for the club? It's not black or white, even when you are in love with someone and they become a cnut and you leave them, you still have lingering feelings, maybe forever. That doesn't mean you don't fall out of love. The tribalism around this is something I don't quite understand, one of the reasons I love Utd is the romance of it, the history, and it will (in my mind) be tainted by this.

There's a lot of bargaining, what aboutism and coping going on in this thread for people that can't imagine stopping following the team, I'm fine with that, to each their own, but it's equally understandable that a Qatar backed take over would be the breaking point for a lot of us.

Diadoras

Why don't people stop and think before they get all emotional?

The Qatari's have been nailed on since the beginning of the process. SJR can just barely afford the club, the Qatari's have a bottomless pit of cash. The Glazers are using SJR and leaking about him being the favourite to ladle a bit more of the Qatari cash from the pot.

On the recent statement saying its pure speculation...again...absolute par for the course during an active negotiation. SJ will be breaking all of the NDAs if he announces early and leaking before paperwork is signed also weakens his negotiating position around any last minute changes.

Qatari's will buy United, no doubt in my mind about that
One of the difficulties with this is that the Protaris have been insistent (they have not given one inch) that this is a private bid and Jassim is actively involved (we found out at the end of last week that he has no / minimal involvement).

If it was a private bid SJR is substantially wealthier. Of course it isnt.

El-Manos

The Glazers might not be good people but they are not a State regime with multiple human rights violations (as the Qatar take-over is very clearly a State-backed acquisition with Jassim as the face of it). That is my line in the sand.

Do I have the power to stop rooting for the team or having feelings for the club? It's not black or white, even when you are in love with someone and they become a cnut and you leave them, you still have lingering feelings, maybe forever. That doesn't mean you don't fall out of love. The tribalism around this is something I don't quite understand, one of the reasons I love Utd is the romance of it, the history, and it will (in my mind) be tainted by this.

There's a lot of bargaining, what aboutism and coping going on in this thread for people that can't imagine stopping following the team, I'm fine with that, to each their own, but it's equally understandable that a Qatar backed take over would be the breaking point for a lot of us.
Aren’t INEOS some global chemical company.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Wow, doubling down on somebody else's incorrect point and slinging insults. Big brain over here.
I did not insult anyone but if the cap fits, by all means put it on. The OP's logic is completely sound, right or wrong (and he's quite likely right.)

Tarrou

It always has and always will. A terrorist-funding slave-state will now own Manchester United. Undeniable now that this is a PR vehicle for that state.

Won't be hard to leave a fanbase that thinks something good has happened here.
I was referring to the fact that some people believe it’s a private bid

Lentwood

I wasnt sarcastic enough. If Ratcliffe wasnt a serious bidder with no hope of winning the Qatari's would be absolutely aware and wouldnt fall for scare tactics
Again, nobody is saying he isn't a serious bidder - I am sure he is keen to buy the club but his wealth pales in comparison to the Qatari's. They could pay £10BN if they wanted to, SJR is at the very limit of his resources.

Hence why the Glazers are keen to position SJRs bid as very strong, likely stronger than it is. They want the Qatari's to panic and overspend. They know SJRs offer is his very best, they know the Qatari's can dig deeper.

The Qatari's have not done this, hence why we're still here going round and round in June.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I think he's living in an emotional dreamland myself. There's nothing 'top' about him at all.

He's basically saying if you support Qatar it's all about the money and fancy new toys, but if you're against Qatar it means you have morals and more of an emotional attachment, than those who support Qatar who "just don't get it".

Not only is he being patronising he's also completely wrong.

What's his alternative then? Because you often find with these self obsessed, taking-the-moral-high-ground ego warriors, that they never have a back up plan.
So what's the back-up plan for Manchester United if we don't get Qatar because of morals?
Do we go for a buyer who's "really really nice" and never hurts a fly, while living in an eco-friendly house made of sugar-free candy and completely carbon neutral....yipppeee!!! Let's hope they buy us and keep us morally beautiful even if we are languishing in mid-table every season, with no hope in hell of winning anything or playing CL football.

But hey, that's perfectly OK, because the owner can make some superb veggie muffins from their own organically grown garden for the players at half time.

We're Manchester United, the club with morals. Oh the joy!!!

FFS
:lol: You alright?

MTF

I'm in the same boat. An acquisition by Qatar (as would any other nation-state) will change the meaning of the club for me, and a big part of the romance will be gone. That's why it's not even exactly some sort of challenge if I can stop following the club or not, I just will naturally. I'm really sad about the prospect, but it is a bit like realizing that you have to end a relationship because something significant about your partner has changed.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Who said they weren't also aware of exactly what was going on? It's standard fare for a negotiation. The buyer wants to set a ceiling and does not want to appear in a rush or desperate. The seller wants to create urgency and position alternative bids to force the price higher.

The Raine Group have been tasked with teasing out the best possible bid, and that is what they have been doing.

If the Glazers had wanted a quick sale, this could have been done 6 months ago for £4.5BN. By dragging this out and presenting a 2nd serious bidder, they have likely made about £500m or so extra.
This is standard auction game theory. It's literally what Raine Group does for a living. What were people expecting?

cyberman

Athletic have been shit with this and this is a great example. It was only shared because so many..so called..trusted Qatari sources were tweeting it.
They haven’t broken a story about this at all yet they suddenly have Qatar sources they don’t use?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm in the same boat. An acquisition by Qatar (as would any other nation-state) will change the meaning of the club for me, and a big part of the romance will be gone. That's why it's not even exactly some sort of challenge if I can stop following the club or not, I just will naturally. I'm really sad about the prospect, but it is a bit like realizing that you have to end a relationship because something significant about your partner has changed.
That's how I see it too. It's not about bravado on here, of course I'm not gonna stop watching the games from one day to another, but I just know that if/when it happens, something in my relationship with the club I've loved since I was 10 will change. It's ok, my love for football in general is dying with every passing year anyway, but I don't quite understand why people are being so bullish towards those who genuinely have these feelings.

croadyman

Will admit I got suckered in by the stuff,however take some heart from the fact that UK media are least talking about Jassim bid when it was all Ratcliffe til Friday

MarkoDolohov

Its quite fun to see all the Pro INEOS/SJR posters come out of the woodwork, they must have been bricking it last night when all this kicked off. Sad it turned out to be fake news, guess we are back in the whole 50/50 element with SJR being back in the lead by default. It was fun whilst it lasted

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I did not insult anyone but if the cap fits, by all means put it on. The OP's logic is completely sound, right or wrong (and he's quite likely right.)
I'm actually wondering if you're talking about the same post here, because to say 'OP's logic is completely sound' would be pretty mental if you're talking about the same post claiming that SJR can't afford to buy the club. This is the same guy that owns a business turning over billions in profit, along with all the subsidiary companies too. And, for what it's worth, his personal net worth is supposedly far greater than that of Jassim. So let's just agree that it is very badly wrong to say he can't afford the club and leave it at that.

DickDastardly

Fully respect that line.

Personally, don't have the time and will to commit myself to question that line.
I have zero knowledge about the Qataris and the human rights violations, nor do i wish to inspect it thoroughly.

You could label it whataboutism, or sticking ones head in the sand, but i simply choose to live without that knowledge.

Redcafe is probably the biggest online place that opens my views on different topics.
Whenever i'm in doubt about something i choose the CAF as a reference point.
There is a huge amount of knowledgable posters about vastly different topics, and i feel the quality of serious posts is remarkable.

I never really related the romance behind the club with the owners.

I don't know who the owners were at the time of the Munich disaster. I didn't know who the owners were in the 90's when i started rooting for the club....
Didn't know about the owners right about the time when the Glazers took over.

I don't even know anything about the Glazers, outside of the knowledgable posts about their wrongdoings while at the helm of the club in the last decade.

Even now, i have zero knowledge about Sir Jim or Jassim.
Couldn't care less.
They might buy the club and call themselves "owners", but i certainly won't associate the club with them.

Manchester United is way beyond that.
That's my line in the sand.

Devil You Know

We didn't even hire any data scientists until a couple of years ago.
We used data science but didn't have any dedicated data scientists to do it :lol: I'm picturing a 16 year old with GCSE maths on work experience for the summer.
“We already make extensive use of data to analyse players’ performance and physical condition, and to scout opponents and recruitment targets,” said Murtough. “But there is huge potential to strengthen our existing capabilities, and build new ones, as part of a more integrated approach to managing and using data."

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think he's living in an emotional dreamland myself. There's nothing 'top' about him at all.

He's basically saying if you support Qatar it's all about the money and fancy new toys, but if you're against Qatar it means you have morals and more of an emotional attachment, than those who support Qatar who "just don't get it".

Not only is he being patronising he's also completely wrong.

What's his alternative then? Because you often find with these self obsessed, taking-the-moral-high-ground ego warriors, that they never have a back up plan.
So what's the back-up plan for Manchester United if we don't get Qatar because of morals?
Do we go for a buyer who's "really really nice" and never hurts a fly, while living in an eco-friendly house made of sugar-free candy and completely carbon neutral....yipppeee!!! Let's hope they buy us and keep us morally beautiful even if we are languishing in mid-table every season, with no hope in hell of winning anything or playing CL football.

But hey, that's perfectly OK, because the owner can make some superb veggie muffins from their own organically grown garden for the players at half time.

We're Manchester United, the club with morals. Oh the joy!!!

FFS
Wowsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.