Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY65

Because 60B looks a lot. Saying 700m in profits on the other hand does not look a lot, and it makes clear that the debt taken to buy the club won’t be exactly ‘free’.
Their last reported profits were 2.1 billion euros (2.9 billion operating profit) for 2021. Where are either of you getting these numbers from?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair enough. I don't think I could be that philosophical about it.

It's just going to be sad having United fans having to make those decisions and have to think about such things if we are owned by the Qatari state.
This is why I would always respect any fans decision to keep following or not Man Utd if the Qataris are the new owners. It's a very personal decision, a difficult one if you've watching Utd for a long time

Infra-red

Doesn’t make much sense considering the Sheikh has tabled a £4.5bn bid
We know that the guy for the Qatar bid is just a frontman though, don’t we?
According to Qatar, this is private money, with no connection to the state, QSI or QIA.

Whether Qatar are being honest or lying, you can decide. Ultimately, all that matters is whether the relevant football authorities believe them.

Their last reported profits were 2.1 billion euros (2.9 billion operating profit) for 2021. Where are either of you getting these numbers from?
And forecast of a return to 1.8 bn profits for 2022 and 2023.

INEOS are swimming in money and investment possibilities, yet the caf would have you believe they are skint.

No-one need’s worry about the club’s financial future if we’re owned by a company that makes 2bn a year profit.

Revan

Assumptionman
I had the number for the year before that which is 650m. You are correct though, it was the number you are saying in 2021. The year before that was 1.2B. I guess a bit like most cyclical companies, the profits vary, in general being around 1-1.5B with two outliers in the last two years (the 650m and the 2.8B).

Member 101269

Because 60B looks a lot. Saying 700m in profits on the other hand does not look a lot, and it makes clear that the debt taken to buy the club won’t be exactly ‘free’.
Exactly, it's not as pretty
The previous two years averaged 650m, 2021 is an anomaly? was the financing costs an anomaly given their debt increased, and they've reported the 3qrt decline in 2022?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
INEOS is making the right comments but we do need more information. What about debt? New stadium? Qatar made it fairly obvious at all points here while Sir Jim Ratcliffe is yet to address key points.
A bit strange (or a sign) imo. They had more than enough time and most likely it wont be their priotity

Exactly, it's not as pretty

The previous two years averaged 650m, 2021 is an anomaly? was the financing costs an anomaly given their debt increased, and they've reported the 3qrt decline in 2022?
Think you’re forgetting a global pandemic and INEOS committing 3bn to investment in 2019. Forecast for next two years is around 1.8bn.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I suppose that he looked at more than one year. In 2021 it was 2.1bn, in 2020 723m and in 2019 around 500m.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
most of their debt is inactive. They can afford it. that said, adding a 6bn+ albatross around their necks may not be the perfect definition of fiduciary responsibility.
Our debt is an issue though. And I hope we can get rid once and for all

alexthelion

Mind-boggling to see the amount of people who are perfectly happy to see the club become a sportswashing vehicle for human rights abusing cnuts.
Mind boggling to see so many happy to have the tax dodging, Monaco living, American backed earth poisoning cnut.

RORY65

I had the number for the year before that which is 650m. You are correct though, it was the number you are saying in 2021. The year before that was 1.2B. I guess a bit like most cyclical companies, the profits vary, in general being around 1-1.5B with two outliers in the last two years (the 650m and the 2.8B).
There's for sure a cyclical element but I think 2020 has to be considered especially unique due to the pandemic. Every other year going back to at least 2016 (I haven't checked before then) their operating profit has been at least 1.2 billion and they have significant cash reserves.

Revan

Assumptionman
According to Qatar, this is private money, with no connection to the state, QSI or QIA.

Whether Qatar are being honest or lying, you can decide. Ultimately, all that matters is whether the relevant football authorities believe them.
Yeah, pig flies too.

I mean he is the son of the PM who was the most powerful politician in Qatar, and the uncle of the Emir’s father.

He also does not have 5B.

It is blatantly a way of going around UEFA rules of the same entity not owning two clubs.

Tiber

It's perfectly possible to come out of this process with a worse owner than the Glazers.

You could end up with Qatar pouring billions into a best in class club for the sake of PR. Or you could end up with a hedge fund that will try to drain every last asset out of the club, before putting it up for sale again in a few years time. Good luck pressuring a faceless group of investors with hashtags, atleast the Glazers are a clear enemy.

Either way, it will be the highest bidder who gets it.

DavelinaJolie

I just hope that it ends up being someone who runs the team honestly so we don't end up in the same kind of shit City are in, looking like a joke of a club.

Given that it'll likely be the Qatari bidders, and they already look like a front for the real money, I won't hold my breath.

jm99

And forecast of a return to 1.8 bn profits for 2022 and 2023.

INEOS are swimming in money and investment possibilities, yet the caf would have you believe they are skint.

No-one need’s worry about the club’s financial future if we’re owned by a company that makes 2bn a year profit.
The thing is I dont know if you've ever seen any capitalist company, but they don't just go, well we're making 2bn profit so if buying man united for 6bn will reduce our profits by half a billion a year while we build the stadium and repay debts, oh well, we'll still be making 1.5bn

If their profits don't increase each year then they're furious

redshaw

This article is worth reading about Ineos and Sir Jim
https://www.ft.com/content/31b5e7e0-5c76-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4

Covers what they are, what they say they're doing with sports, the speculation of greenwashing/sport washing as they're a petro chemical company.

One point is with many sporting ventures they could utilize the sporting sciences and data to improve each one. We've not really seen that yet but it's a point over Qatar and their average performance.

They've learned a bit through the swiss club and Nice but a little worrying is his tight stance on PL clubs, I guess this has changed and wants in.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That's the opposite to the post I replied to. And Swiss ramble are usually bang on the money with these things.
Doing a bit of googling, I'd be a bit confused if they are now included as the new regs specifically say they aim to "encourage investment in and expenditure on facilities and activities for the long-term benefit of the club", which doesn't seem like something that including them would do.

Revan

Assumptionman
Brexit voting too ^^
To be fair, Brexit voting is ok. I mean, I thought it was a terrible decision, but people have their own opinion, and they decided so.

Brexit voting to return the Great in Great Britain, while having the residency in tax-free Monaco so it does not pay taxes in Great Britain is as hypocritical as something can be.

jm99

I just hope that it ends up being someone who runs the team honestly so we don't end up in the same kind of shit City are in, looking like a joke of a club.

Given that it'll likely be the Qatari bidders, and they already look like a front for the real money, I won't hold my breath.
City had to fudge the books initially because they had feck all appeal to sponsors, barely sellout their stadium which is much smaller capacity than ours, and initially has far lower share of TV rights. We are a huge club and won't need to do anything like that

owlo

Ah, okay. I'm pretty sure that that still remained the same, in regards to spend on infrastructure.

@Messier1994 can no doubt tell me otherwise.
That's FFP, which was replaced last summer by UEFA's new Financial Sustainability Regulations (FSR). Spending on infrastructure was exempt from the 'break-even' calculations under FFP, but this is no longer the case under the new regs:

I think fresh equity can be injected to cover them. (Else you could never build anything unless you take it as a loan which you pay back over decades with the deviation allowed.)

his next tweet says:

Mind boggling to see so many happy to have the tax dodging, Monaco living, American backed earth poisoning cnut.
Alright lad, wasn’t that long ago you replied “well said” to this post :lol:

Yup, I'm in complete agreement that state owned clubs are despicable for many reasons (not just footballing ones) and to say I hate everything these clubs stand for would be an understatement (along with the fans that support them).

But lodging complaints to UEFA (who have allowed a director of one of these clubs to be on the board) is futile, as they're complaining to the people who are gladly taking the money and selling their souls for that cash, so complaining has no real benefit.

You could say it will highlight the corrupt nature of these clubs, but the fans that care already know about it, and the ones who don't care, won't care anyway - look at the people in this very thread saying they enjoy the "competition"! It's quite frankly embarrassing.

At the moment state owned clubs are a benefit to United fans as they've stopped Liverpool from dominating the league, truth be known, deep down I think every United fan knows Liverpool have been robbed, the simple fan in me finds it hilarious, but looking at the bigger picture it's fecking horrible.

The complete indifference football fans have to City winning the league is telling, along with United fans actively wanting them to win over Liverpool, that should really make sports media and City fans themselves question how relevant they are when not even "their closest rivals" care about them dominati the league, no one gives a shit about them.

kouroux

To be fair, Brexit voting is ok. I mean, I thought it was a terrible decision, but people have their own opinion, and they decided so.

Brexit voting to return the Great in Great Britain, while having the residency in tax-free Monaco so it does not pay taxes in Great Britain is as hypocritical as something can be.
He wants to Manchester back to Manchester United (or something like that) though

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think fresh equity can be injected to cover them. (Else you could never build anything unless you take it as a loan which you pay back over decades with the deviation allowed.)

his next tweet says:

This makes more sense.

jm99

Jim owns almost all of the company, with his brother owning a smaller part, I don’t think he’ll be slightly furious, he clearly loves the sporting ventures.
As I said, someone wirh his financial resources should have made nice the clear number 2 team in France by now, given they weren't miles off when he took over, he clearly buys them hoping for a return in investment. Maybe he's hoping for the super league to take off, and then sell for a profit, and if that's his hope he's unlikely to bleed us dry, but that looks a non starter

Josep Dowling

It's perfectly possible to come out of this process with a worse owner than the Glazers.

You could end up with Qatar pouring billions into a best in class club for the sake of PR. Or you could end up with a hedge fund that will try to drain every last asset out of the club, before putting it up for sale again in a few years time. Good luck pressuring a faceless group of investors with hashtags, atleast the Glazers are a clear enemy.

Either way, it will be the highest bidder who gets it.
This idea of better the devil you know is ridiculous. Far too much of this on the cafe. So stay with the Glazers because they’re shite owners, but at least we know they’re shite owner?

kouroux

his next tweet says:

Bayern and Dortmund have next to no debt. Pretty impressive

As I said, someone wirh his financial resources should have made nice the clear number 2 team in France by now, given they weren't miles off when he took over
They had just finished 8th & 7th.

But now you’ve gone on a tagent. INEOS clearly can afford United and can absolutely say feck it, we’ll take a billion of the profit and buy a new stadium renovation, because no-one can stop him doing it.
Or they can loan against INEOS for a stadium and have absolutely no worries paying that debt off over time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That’s because they had to give more detail, due to the bizarre nature of the sale.

And mate, how many times does it need mentioning that holding seasonal
executive facilities at a football club isn’t the same as being a “season ticket holder”, in the way you’re making out. Lots of none Arsenal and none Chelsea CEO’s entertain clients and associates at the Emirates and Stamford Bridge.
You always post it as though he’s in the middle of the Matthew Harding chanting We all follow the Chelsea :lol:
There is always and excuse or a maybe around Ratcliffe from him being a Chelsea season ticket holder right to his divided loyalty between them and us and the loans he will take. Qatar come across as ambitious, wealthy, enthusiastic and with a plan. All that Ratcliffe can come out to counter is lazy brexit soundbites.

Tiber

This idea of better the devil you know is ridiculous. Far too much of this on the cafe. So stay with the Glazers because they’re shite owners, but at least we know they’re shite owner?
I've no interest in keeping the Glazers. But we should be clear they will sell to the highest bidder regardless of how it will impact the club

As I said, someone wirh his financial resources should have made nice the clear number 2 team in France by now, given they weren't miles off when he took over, he clearly buys them hoping for a return in investment. Maybe he's hoping for the super league to take off, and then sell for a profit, and if that's his hope he's unlikely to bleed us dry, but that looks a non starter
Why would he need to buy to make a return? He’s already rich beyond anyone’s wildest dreams and clearly loves getting involved in sporting ventures.
INEOS make huge profits already, which allows Jim to do shit he loves, like get involved in racing, cycling or helping a bloke run a marathon in under two hours.

There’s absolutely nothing to say INEOS would be buying United for profit. Maybe it’ll just be for Jim’s legacy, and buying football clubs has proven a very very sound investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.