Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Is sad to see Cristiano like this. He should go back to Portugal or go to the MLS and stop the cringe. Maybe in winter.

C'est Moi Cantona

Is sad to see Cristiano like this. He should go back to Portugal or go to the MLS and stop the cringe. Maybe in winter.
Yeah I reckon unless there's an upift, then they'll be some sort of parting in January, hopefully back to Sporting, even if we have to pay his wages for a few months.

Would only be a couple of months for us (and him) to endure if that happened with the WC in the way.

MrEleson

I think one thing that gets overlooked with Ronaldo is not just his advanced age but the sheer amount of games he’s played in his career. He has an insane amount of mileage on his legs that’s almost unparalleled.

A quick look at the list of players with the most appearances in the history of the sport and he’s 8th with 1,165 appearances.

Giggs is 27th with 1044 and he retired in his 40s and wasn’t playing every minute of every game like Ronaldo was throughout his career:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_footballers_with_the_most_official_appearances

The only people ahead of Ronaldo for appearances on this list are goalkeepers and 1 outfield player meaning he’s had the 2nd most appearances EVER in football for someone not in goal.

He’s played more games than the likes of Buffon, Xavi, Zanetti, Alves, etc who all also racked up appearances playing at a lower level unlike Ronaldo.

We talk of players like Rooney, Owen, Torres etc being burnt out early because they played a lot as young players. The same applied to Ronaldo so it’s pretty incredible he kept going as on of the best into his early to mid 30s and it’s more or less miraculous he’s held it into his late 30s. And what makes it more unbelievable is that he was always someone that relied on explosive pace which usually leaves by the late 20s.

He did well to adapt like he did but “Father Time” ultimately remains undefeated.

tomaldinho1

I think one thing that gets overlooked with Ronaldo is not just his advanced age but the sheer amount of games he’s played in his career. He has an insane amount of mileage on his legs that’s almost unparalleled.

A quick look at the list of players with the most appearances in the history of the sport and he’s 8th with 1,165 appearances.

Giggs is 27th with 1044 and he retired in his 40s and wasn’t playing every minute of every game like Ronaldo was throughout his career:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_footballers_with_the_most_official_appearances

The only people ahead of Ronaldo for appearances on this list are goalkeepers and 1 outfield player meaning he’s had the 2nd most appearances EVER in football for someone not in goal meaning that he’s played more games than the likes of Buffon, Xavi, Zanetti, Alves, etc who all also racked up appearances playing at a lower level unlike Ronaldo.

We talk of players like Rooney, Owen, Torres etc being burnt out early because they played a lot as young players. The same applied to Ronaldo so it’s pretty incredible he kept going as on of the best into his early to mid 30s and it’s more or less miraculous he’s held it into his late 30s. And what makes it more unbelievable is that he was always someone that relied on explosive pace which usually leaves by the late 20s.

He did well to adapt like he did but “Father Time” ultimately remains undefeated.
Who is the 1 outfield player?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So much is being made of his age.
And obviously you can not do things you used to do a few years ago.
But it is pretty clear to me that age isn't the only issue here
His heart is not in it anymore for United.
And it would be best if he was allowed to go in the next transfer window.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He obviously looked like a washed up old fart last night but I don’t think he’s only going in one direction. As in I think he could get fitter this season and be much better than that. He is 37 and didn’t have a pre season and has only been a sub this season.

Luke1995

The only people ahead of Ronaldo for appearances on this list are goalkeepers and 1 outfield player meaning he’s had the 2nd most appearances EVER in football for someone not in goal.

He’s played more games than the likes of Buffon, Xavi, Zanetti, Alves, etc who all also racked up appearances playing at a lower level unlike Ronaldo.

Very good point.

He has been playing international tournaments with Portugal non-stop since 2003 if you count that Toulon tournament before he signed with United.

He'll probably pick up 5th place on that list this season. If Ten Hag is thinking about really managing his minutes this season, using him more in europe and cups, it's probably because his body can't play 50/60 games per season anymore.

Deery

Dreary

Well said, I would usually say he will prove youse wrong but after the other night I’m not so sure, looked a fraction of the player he even was last season never mind at his best. Hope I’m wrong and he continues to defy logic but think this may finally be it.

AndyMUFC

I mean he did have plenty of games where he played similarly last season so last night shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone. Sure he can still contribute this season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Et Tu, Mister?! From his biggest fan and now a huge doubter.

MrEleson

Et Tu, Mister?! From his biggest fan and now a huge doubter.

I’m still one of his biggest fans (his meteoric rise in 2006 coincided with when I started watching and supporting religiously) but doesn’t mean I can’t recognise his limitations.

liman

Am i the only one who thinks he wasn't that bad ? All our decent chance came from him , and I don't think Rashford would have done any better. Some people underestimating sociedad as if they weren't better team than the likes of leicester and Southampton who we struggled to beat with Rashford as 9. We have abysmal record against spanish side no matter what rank they are in La Liga , we never beat them comfortably.

Greck

Am i the only one who thinks he wasn't that bad ? All our decent chance came from him , and I don't think Rashford would have done any better. Some people underestimating sociedad as if they weren't better team than the likes of leicester and Southampton who we struggled to beat with Rashford as 9. We have abysmal record against spanish side no matter what rank they are in La Liga , we never beat them comfortably.
Chance compilation was posted so we don't even need the usual subjective back and forth to describe why this is the definition of a gash performance.

Even that offside goal, why the hell? 8 players were in box when the original chance got cleared. He shouldn't even have been offside to begin with, talk less of spending an eternity strolling back.

Last edited:

liman

Chance compilation was posted so we don't even need the usual subjective back and forth to describe why this is the definition of a gash performance.

Even that offside goal, why the hell? 8 players were in box when the original chance got cleared. He shouldn't even have been offside to begin with, talk less of spending an eternity strolling back.
1st chance Rashford wouldn't be able to finish it either since he couldn't shot with his left
2nd and 3th , he was even worse at heading
4th Rashford first touch isn't better than his left foot , so that kind of chance would have failed as well
5th , see 2nd and 3th
6th Don't see anything wrong with this , Sociedad defender read the attack well and quick to cover
in the end Rashford isn't the solution for us especially if we faced against a team who didn't put a high line defense .Although the quality of the chance created by us isn't as good as , let's say city , see how Haaland literally scoring tap in week in week out, he just have to be big and strong to outmuscled defender . We need Ronaldo back to at least half his best or buy another striker who can create for himself. And don't mention Martial can be our solution, guy hasn't score a single league goal for the last 365 days.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Shilton & perhaps Bastock are a long shot but he’s getting to 3rd on that list easy, which is insane really.

DavelinaJolie

1st chance Rashford wouldn't be able to finish it either since he couldn't shot with his left
4th Rashford first touch isn't better than his left foot , so that kind of chance would have failed as well
5th , see 2nd and 3th
6th Don't see anything wrong with this , Sociedad defender read the attack well and quick to cover
in the end Rashford isn't the solution for us especially if we faced against a team who didn't put a high line defense .Although the quality of the chance created by us isn't as good as , let's say city , see how Haaland literally scoring tap in week in week out, he just have to be big and strong to outmuscled defender . We need Ronaldo back to at least half his best or buy another striker who can create for himself. And don't mention Martial can be our solution, guy hasn't score a single league goal for the last 365 days.
I thought this was the Ronaldo performance thread?

Greck

5th , see 2nd and 3th
I don't know why you think you can hide a Ronaldo performance discussion behind Rashford and Martial. One has an assist in only 45 minutes of play and the other is on 5 goals for the season. Literally everyone has better chemistry without. The notion that current Ronaldo is automatically better is pure arrogance and comes from name value. Since he joined I'm not sure we've even put together a decent stretch of results with Ronaldo starting. The drop off in team functionality is crazy. Even the highlights show a problematic pattern, an excessive amount of in-field crosses and direct balls being forced into the middle. Highly predictable pattern most teams have no problem snuffing out.

Last edited:

youngrell

Apart from when we beat this exact team 4-0 just last year you mean?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I don't think anything is overlooked. If Ronaldo and his fans accept that he doesn't have to started every game there won't be any big issues. Actually we have to take it one step forward, if Ronaldo and his fans accept that he should be bench player and come on as impact sub then most of the issues would be resolved. But then he is on insane wages to play that role.

AndySmith1990

Inappropriate Behavior
No, there are a handful of others who are just as delusional and who also have their head firmly planted inside his anus

Abhinav

Some of it may be conditioning related, but he definitely has lost the agility and quickness of feet. He can do the job in some moments, but the team loses a lot of dynamism when he plays. If he wants to contribute to the TEAM, he needs to accept his limitations and start being more of a team player. In his head, it is all about whether he scores or not. You could see his frustration at not being able to convert his chances. This visible frustration may also impact the team as they may want to feed him more often than taking the right option.

Deery

Dreary
I don't think anything is overlooked. If Ronaldo and his fans accept that he doesn't have to started every game there won't be any big issues. Actually we have to take it one step forward, if Ronaldo and his fans accept that he should be bench player and come on as impact sub then most of the issues would be resolved. But then he is on insane wages to play that role.
What’s his fans got anything to do with it?

Mmm-Qatarian

The bottom line is that at this point there are tonnes of strikers just in the Premier League who can offer more to a side than Ronaldo does. In fact, I can quite honestly say I struggle to think of a starter in a Premier League side who is less effective up front than Ronaldo.

Bournemouth, Wolves and Chelsea might well be the only ones who have him beat.

Andy_Cole

The bottom line is that at this point there are tonnes of strikers just in the Premier League who can offer more to a side than Ronaldo does. In fact, I can quite honestly say I struggle to think of a starter in a Premier League side who is less effective up front than Ronaldo.
There’s extremes on both sides. Either he’s terrible or world class. Surely the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Mmm-Qatarian

There’s extremes on both sides. Either he’s terrible or world class. Surely the answer is somewhere in the middle.
He's just too old.

Saying "he's terrible" would be ridiculous. The guy is 37; he's playing exactly how you'd expect someone who has always been partially defined by absolutely freakish athleticism to play at 37.

It's patent that Ronaldo's outstanding striker instincts are still there. I've never seen someone better at making runs off of the last defender and anticipating passes and crosses, and he still has that. The issue is he no longer has the explosive burst of pace so unless he timed his runs absolutely to perfection, he'll either be offside or the defender will catch him.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s difficult to resent him for wanting to leave when it could be argued that he was doing it as a favour to us. I would love him to be Chelsea’s problem right now.

If we carry on playing him, he’ll score a spectacular goal or two, maybe a hat-trick here and there and his personal stats might look fine at the end of the season. But that’s the trap we fell into last year. As part of a successful team that can win things, he is done.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's patent that Ronaldo's outstanding striker instincts are still there. I've never seen someone better at making runs off of the last defender and anticipating passes and crosses, and he still has that. The issue is he no longer has the explosive burst of pace so unless he timed his runs absolutely to perfection, he'll either be offside or the defender will catch him.
If his striker instincts were still outstanding, better than anyone else at making those runs, then he wouldn’t be offside or caught by the defender. Loads of strikers scored bucketloads of goals without the kind of explosive pace Ronaldo had, many were even fairly slow, but those instincts got them the goals anyway.

Marwood

I still think if you dropped him in a side that could pass the ball well and had good wide players he'd score plenty. But he hasn't had that around him when he's played this season.

He's still getting into good positions and has probably been a bit unlucky not to bag a few so far. His straight line speed is still good enough. I bet he's still quicker than Kane for instance or Shearer was in his 30's.

So as a rotation striker he's fine.

Obviously outside the box he's not much use. The agility, lightness of foot and lungs aren't there anymore. Nor does he have the natural back to goal ability Shearer and Kane have/had.

The bigger issue is that any striker will struggle if you have underperforming wide players and midfielders who can't pass.

Mmm-Qatarian

If his striker instincts were still outstanding, better than anyone else at making those runs, then he wouldn’t be offside or caught by the defender. Loads of strikers scored bucketloads of goals without the kind of explosive pace Ronaldo had, many were even fairly slow, but those instincts got them the goals anyway.
Those players will have been used to not having that kind of explosive pace though, so they will have tailored their movement to account for it. It's seriously difficult for a player like Ronaldo to adapt when that goes because even into his thirties he's always been a physical freak. Your instincts are still telling you to make those runs but your body just cannot keep up any more. A similar thing is happening with Vardy.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Very good point.
A testament to him as an athlete and also points to the fact that he could fall apart as an athlete at any moment. Over the last 4 four seasos, he has needed games to get going but at some point even that isnt going to work.
The idea he has 4 years left of elite football is pie in the sky stuff.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I mean he did have plenty of games where he played similarly last season so last night shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone. Sure he can still contribute this season.
That's what i was thinking. Remember the matchdayvposts of his feet won't do what his brain wants to anymore and stuff and then he started scoring regularly. Twat for missing pre season though.

DutchCruijff

He's not had a pre-season, he's still grumpy over not moving, low on confidence and has started a handful of matches.

Come on now, let's give him a chance.

I do think he needs to be a Super Sub when Martial comes back. Wouldn't be against him being a 60th min super sub to get him back up to speed.

His movement and positioning is still superb hence the numerous chances.

criticalanalysis

He had a bad game against Sociedad but you can't deny he gets in the right positions.

I think like many, if he's 'content' and contributes as a squad player, he'll be fine for us. Hopefully he will break his goal scoring duct soon and it'll be smoother sailing.

We're are going to need him whether we like it or not and with the way ETH has been managing his game time, I have some confidence it'll be managed well.

We need Martial fecking fit soon though.

It might be interesting if we might get a cheap Haller type striker in the Jan window. Ighalo would have been a very good fit under ETH; I still think he didn't get enough minutes under Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.