4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Clifton

For me, one of the most important factors in trying to evaluate whether a player is indeed declining or not are the instinctive stuff, especially for a forward/striker.

In the sequence above, the "previous" Ronnie would've attempted a one-time-shot with his left foot when that ball was played to him. I've seen something similar with Zlatan in recent seasons. You know: when that proverbial killer instinct starts to fade, where the striker either takes time, passes to a teammate or gets tackled/goes down instead of just finishing.

Decreasing physicality, speed and explosiveness and such are all inevitable and we all know this. But instinct can be prolonged beyond that.

Previously he would've ruthlessly smashed that ball without blinking. Whether it would miss the target or result in a save is another matter, but he would've attempted it. And mind you, most likely it would've actually been on target and hence probably in the back of the net.

Instead it's hesitation and it results in nothing there. Hopefully it's not quite the complete end just yet though, probably not. But we'll see.

@GifLord thanks for the video.

KeanoMagicHat

Worst I've ever seen him.
He was that bad against Middlesbrough as well which cost us the FA Cup last season.

Duncan Castles’s puff piece about Ronaldo having to suffer the Europa League and how he had ‘only 4 years left at the elite level’ might go down in history as one of the most delusional pieces ever. He’s lucky if he gets 4 more months at an elite level.

The thing is there’s absolutely no shame in that. He’s halfway to 38. It’s natural. The super ego won’t allow a dignified move to veteran status though.

Zippycup

What worrys me the most about Ronaldo is that our players seem hell bent on involving him in attacking moves, even when he isn't the best option available to receive the pass

KeanoMagicHat

What worrys me the most about Ronaldo is that our players seem hell bent on involving him in attacking moves, even when he isn't the best option available to receive the pass
This has been happening since he arrived, Bruno by far the worst for it at his own detriment, but the whole team does it. Yet people argued all day and all night last year that his signing didn’t negatively impact the team.

MrEleson

I understand what you mean but considering he’s the #9 in the team, the likelihood is that he’ll be at the forefront of most attacking moves. It’s not something that’s really avoidable.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Now, he seems to have lost the most important skill he still had in his locker: his clinical finishing.
Not trying to kick a man when he's down, but his finishing has never been clinical.

As a goal scorer, his best features were always a) versatility (capable of scoring from a multitude of positions, in a multitude of ways) and b) movement/timing (making the right runs at the right time).

He's always "wasted" a lot of chances (and half-chances), relatively speaking.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, he looked pretty feckin' dreadful out there.

He clearly can't play the full 90 on a regular basis in this kind of shape.

And we can't afford to keep starting him, hoping his form will pick up (which could happen - it's not entirely impossible that part of what we saw yesterday is down to a slow start/lack of preseason/whatever).

The argument that "he's better than [insert whoever]" doesn't hold up when what we get is yesterday's version of Ronnie. That version isn't better than...anyone. We do have players at the club who can at least run a bit and trap a ball somewhat successfully.

He's looked much better as a sub, though - so use him as such and hope he can contribute with a goal or two (which would, at least, give him a confidence boost - right now, he's in genuine danger of becoming an absolute joke, and nobody wants that).

Newtonius

The end of an ego right here, although it is sad seeing Ronaldo go out like this. Physically he’s done especially his first touch, just multiple yards slower to everything

Greck

He was alright against Arsenal.
He played a more rounded game, he has those performances every now and then where he plays unselfish but always reverts to the highly inactive minimal contribution goalpoacher. Then fans (mostly his) will use that occasional exceptional performance as evidence that he presses and does other things.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just feel like we need to learn how to play like Stoke to Peter Crouch to utelise Ronaldo the best he can.

Playing like a fast Barcelona with Peter Crouch just doesn’t work.

Obviously this is not permanently- but during the time where arguably Ronaldo is one of only 2 strikers who are available; we need to learn to use him better.
Problem is Ronaldo actively comes in-field during matches to get as many touches of the ball as he can. He's constantly hovering around the middle third of the opponents half instead of actually getting in the box. Really weird, and annoying.

Irwin99

He's got a few weeks now to focus on his fitness and I think he'll come back and get goals. The movement is still there, just the technique is rusty (lack of preseason possibly).

Monks_United

Now, we just need Tod to make a suggestion to Potter about signing Cristiano and seeing the way things went for Tuchel on scoffing at the idea of signing the GOAT, we could be hopeful of a reasonable bid in the winter transfer window ! We could threaten Chelsea to pay up a small fee as well with the 1 year extension as an option (imagine they call our bluff and Murtough does it though XD)

Zippycup

I understand what you mean but considering he’s the #9 in the team, the likelihood is that he’ll be at the forefront of most attacking moves. It’s not something that’s really avoidable.
I don't disagree with that.
However, several times yesterday (and many other games before) the better option wouldn't be taken as the players aim seemed to be to get the ball to Ronaldo at all costs, maybe so they don't upset him?

This is even more evident by the fact that the better option is often taken during an attack when Ronaldo isn't in the team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This has been happening since he arrived, Bruno by far the worst for it at his own detriment, but the whole team does it. Yet people argued all day and all night last year that his signing didn’t negatively impact the team.
I argued that mainly because we were still a shambles defensively and in midfield whether Ronaldo played or not. We leaked goals every match. So Ronaldo wasn't the main issue, and towards the end probably won us a fair amount of points on his own when the team was in the gutter under Ragnick.

Momochiru

He has lost an yard of pace, also his first touch and trying to control the ball is a bit slower, so defenders can neutralize him relatively easy. Question is if it's permanent, or just because he's missed the pre-season.

In any case he still has an excellent shooting technique. I think if he doesn't try to control the ball in the penalty area, but instead shoots directly on the volley he would be much more dangerous.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He has lost an yard of pace, also his first touch and trying to control the ball is a bit slower, so defenders can neutralize him relatively easy. Question is if it's permanent, or just because he's missed the pre-season.

In any case he still has an excellent shooting technique. I think if he doesn't try to control the ball in the penalty area, but instead shoots directly on the volley he would be much more dangerous.
My hope is he can still evolve his game a little. He needs to realize fast that he just can't do the things he used to. His shooting technique and ability to win balls in the air is still great. I wonder if he can do it as a substitute target man.

Zippycup

It was, but it was masked by the fact he was scoring goals.
I think the fact we scored way less goals that the season before should be evidence enough that he impacts the attacking flow of the team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What if scenarios;
1) If City story really was true, he would have been their problem now and Haaland maybe in United
2) Chelsea new owner wanted Ronaldo desperately this summer but Tuchel said no. If only Tuchel said yes, he would be their problem now

The Irish Connection

As an impact sub he is fine but he is past it as a regular starter. That said, maybe the nonsense over the summer has affected him.

TheRedDevil2019

Tbf to Ronaldo he's definitely carrying an injury. I saw him walking up towards the player entrance and he had a limp on his right side, this was well before kick off even. That could explain his lack of explosiveness (besides the age factor) atm. We were all saying he must be on injections or something.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The problem with Ronaldo is that we have no other option. Martial is perma-crocked and Rashford isn't a CF.
We do have the option not to start him.

It has worked rather well (actually) so far.

Nothing we can do at the moment is ideal - but it seems clear as day that Ronaldo should not be a default starter.

We've won four on the trot in the league (which is what really matters, as far as I'm concerned) with him playing a lesser role.

The best-case scenario here is that we keep using him sparingly - and that he starts chipping in with the odd (perhaps even decisive, one can hope - for his fanbois) goal here and there in addition to being generally...not shite (i.e. his performance against Arsenal) when he's on (for half an hour max).

Glorio

Antony suffered badly from this in the first half - Dalot didn't even attempt to find him in the final 3rd when he was in space, he just looked for Ronaldo, who was almost always well marked. On at least one glaring occasion, even Eriksen did the same. I know he demands the ball all the time, but surely they have the brains to see he's not a magician.

I hope EtH addresses this. It's more disruptive to our play the Ronaldo's inability in itself

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It definitely is. Haaland has been compared to “old Ronaldo” because he plays as a poacher and rarely gets involved. But Ronaldo frequently gets involved in the wrong moments just because he’s frustrated about not getting the ball. And then he uses it poorly. His constant whining and demanding is what makes people feel compelled to give him the ball. If he’s just clogging up the play when he comes deep for short passes, then he needs to grow up and start playing with the discipline of 22 year old Haaland.

Zippycup

It definitely is. Haaland has been compared to “old Ronaldo” because he plays as a poacher and rarely gets involved. But Ronaldo frequently gets involved in the wrong moments just because he’s frustrated about not getting the ball. And then he uses it poorly. His constant whining and demanding is what makes people feel compelled to give him the ball. If he’s just clogging up the play when he comes deep for short passes, then he needs to grow up and start playing with the discipline of 22 year old Haaland.
Spot on

This is completely accurate and also something he was doing last season even when he was scoring critical goals.

As great a player as he was, the guy has never really had to learn how to play properly as a central striker. So the only real options to get value from him nowadays are if

a) he starts playing like a pure poacher as you said, staying out of the way during the build-up
b) we give him a floating role in a strike partnership with someone (i.e. Martial) who can actually do the striker's role while Ronaldo works exclusively in the final third - pretty sure this is how Juventus used him for most of his time there

But for either option to be viable, Ronaldo also needs to be doing the bare minimum to make it worth accommodating him, i.e. scoring goals or even looking remotely like doing so. Right now he's looking like he's playing a second or two behind everyone else on the pitch.

fallengt

Haaland would've scored a hattrick. Any semi competent striker would've scored at least once.

Belisarius

I don't disagree with that.
However, several times yesterday (and many other games before) the better option wouldn't be taken as the players aim seemed to be to get the ball to Ronaldo at all costs, maybe so they don't upset him?

This is even more evident by the fact that the better option is often taken during an attack when Ronaldo isn't in the team.
I've noticed this too. Not just Bruno, but many of the players just pass to Ronaldo immediately even if it isn't a great option. And they don't play like that when he's not playing. I'm not sure this is Ronaldo's fault but it definitely has a negative impact on our performances.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
queen was only holding on to see ronaldo score more champions league goals. she checked out when he didn’t get his move.

FerociousCorgis

i mean really his running looks fine off the ball. Just whenever he has the ball he looks old as feck.

Status
Not open for further replies.