4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luka Mora

Are you saying that in 5-7 years, Haaland will have scored more club level goals than Ronaldo has in his career?!
I can see him scoring 50-60 goals every season for the next 5-7 years barring serious injury, so yes. Ronaldo was 25 when he turned into a goal machine, Haaland is a goal machine right now at 22 and is only going to get better and he doesn't need to dive for penalties to get goals either

Pickle85

I can see him scoring 50-60 goals every season for the next 5-7 years barring serious injury, so yes. Ronaldo was 25 when he turned into a goal machine, Haaland is a goal machine right now at 22 and is only going to get better and he doesn't need to dive for penalties to get goals either
Ah, I see now. It's clear you're anti Ronaldo as opposed to impartial...that last comment reeks of bitterness.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronnie turned into a goal machine at 23 not 25.

Luka Mora

Ah, I see now. It's clear you're anti Ronaldo as opposed to impartial...that last comment reeks of bitterness.
Nothing to do with bitterness, just what I've seen him do at real to get penalties time and time again, which I've yet to see Haaland have to resort to.

Pickle85

Nothing to do with bitterness, just what I've seen him do at real to get penalties time and time again, which I've yet to see Haaland have to resort to.

Has zero to do with the matter at hand but is nothing more than a way to take a cheap shot at Ronaldo.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Sure you are free so such comparison, no matter how naive it sounds. It’s just like saying L.Ronaldo would beat Pele’s record when he was just 21-22, nothing wrong there, except it’s just way too early to make such claim. No need to be over-protective of yourself when people are pointing out how naive it sounds to make such early comparison.
Good thing I didn't make any comparisons or claims about it then, all I did when people started saying that you can't compare X was to say that the discussion was about Y and not X.

I like how you returned the over-protective thing back to me though. Got to love a "no u" response.

Comparing goal records is fine when they are both goal scorers but a more realistic comparison is to compare them at the end of their careers.

But to say Haaland has scored this many more goals than Ronaldo by the age of 22 is just pure silly. Because Haaland has played as striker for the whole of his career. Ronaldo hadn’t. Ronaldo didn’t start playing striker regularly till he was into his later 20’s. At Utd he never played striker regularly. Only on certain occasions in big games.

The comparison is so out of context it’s meaningless.

More than anything, it just highlights how phenomenal Ronaldo’s goal scoring record is considering he didn’t even start of as striker in his first half of his career.
Well according to your own logic it would be just as meaningless to do it at the end of their careers since Ronnie will still have played just as long as a winger in that comparison.

I get that a massive reason why Haaland has scored more at his age is because he's always played as a CF, yes it's super unfair and blah blah. However it doesn't matter what position they played in when the question is simply whether Haaland can beat the record or not.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's funny because his omission is such a non story to anyone who has watched him play lately, and then you here Souness and Keane and whoever still trying to speak like he's the younger Ronaldo (clearly don't watch him regularly anymore).

Chief123

Well according to your own logic it would be just as meaningless to do it at the end of their careers since Ronnie will still have played just as long as a winger in that comparison.

I get that a massive reason why Haaland has scored more at his age is because he's always played as a CF, yes it's super unfair and blah blah. However it doesn't matter what position they played in when the question is simply whether Haaland can beat the record or not.
Ok I can see the angle you are coming from now and I agree yes it’s comparable if we are looking at whether Haaland can beat the record. I just didn’t think it was comparable in the sense to say Haaland has done better than Ronaldo at the same age.

But yes in terms of being able to beat Ronaldo’s record he is on track, but I’m still not convinced he will beat it simply because of the phenomenal effort it is going to take every season for 15 years. Just one big injury to Haaland would probably derail any chance of getting the record as he already needs around 50 every season.

I don’t recall Ronaldo ever having a major injury which has kept him out of most of a season.

Chief123

It's funny because his omission is such a non story to anyone who has watched him play lately, and then you here Souness and Keane and whoever still trying to speak like he's the younger Ronaldo (clearly don't watch him regularly anymore).
Yeah it’s actually nauseating hearing the pundits throwing the lazy narrative that Ronaldo is one of the best ever and he gets you goals. It’s like they refuse to accept he’s a human that is waning. He’s clearly dropped massively in the last few months which is very visible. Yet Keane keeps harping on about disrespecting him.

Bobski

The question that will really get the Ronnie fan boys twisted is if Haaland breaks his goal-scoring records does that mean he was the better player?

Canuckred64

His comments are on YouTube.
I did listen to it, Keane says Ronaldo had options, that he knows it as a fact. However, Keane never said what the options where. Also other than taking some salary off our wage bill, what was in these options for United? Did anybody offer us a transfer fee or not expect us to pay a lot of Ronaldo's salary?

Marwood

That's true, most of us only know what we read or hear about. If there had been an offer that Ronaldo would have agreed to, I am sure Ronaldo's people would have made it know.
I think as fans we need to recognise we know very little about transfers or how they work. Us not hearing anything means next to nothing.

Before the close of window I spoke to posters who were convinced Gakpo was coming. Because the papers said so. They knew the ins and outs of the whole thing apparently.

Keane made it pretty clear his info came directly from Ronaldo. If you're going to believe any source that would seem to be the best bet.

Glorio

A massive factor in Haaland potentially bypassing Ronaldo's record is his team. Ronaldo has been in some good teams, but since Haaland moved to this cheat code of a team, he can achieve anything.

That team is fully capable of producing chance after chance relentlessly, they don't need to overexert as they habitually have a stranglehold on games, and there's no other goal hungry person that will push to share the spoils. He's in the perfect team for a record breaking career

All that said, there's an assumption that City will stay this dominant. Football dominance comes in cycles and some of City's most influential players will age and who knows when their manager will decide on another sabbatical?

Ladron de redcafe

I think as fans we need to recognise we know very little about transfers or how they work. Us not hearing anything means next to nothing.

Before the close of window I spoke to posters who were convinced Gakpo was coming. Because the papers said so. They knew the ins and outs of the whole thing apparently.

Keane made it pretty clear his info came directly from Ronaldo. If you're going to believe any source that would seem to be the best bet.
Well if Ronaldo says that teams were lined up for him despite the evidence, it just must be true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why are we even discussing Ronaldo and Halaand?
By Halaand's age, Ronnie already had a couple of EPL titles, a CL and a ballon d'or.

Kammy26

What happened to cities achievements being irrelevant bc they are an oil club? Doesn’t that make Haalands city achievements irrelevant too?

Anyway I’d take 22 year old Ronaldo over 22 year old Haaland 10 times out 10.

Bobski

A massive factor in Haaland potentially bypassing Ronaldo's record is his team. Ronaldo has been in some good teams, but since Haaland moved to this cheat code of a team, he can achieve anything.

That team is fully capable of producing chance after chance relentlessly, they don't need to overexert as they habitually have a stranglehold on games, and there's no other goal hungry person that will push to share the spoils. He's in the perfect team for a record breaking career

All that said, there's an assumption that City will stay this dominant. Football dominance comes in cycles and some of City's most influential players will age and who knows when their manager will decide on another sabbatical?
That is a huge understatement. His Madrid squads are some of the most overpowered squads to ever be assembled, multiple ballon'dor level players in the squad, all serving Ronaldo, and it should go without saying that his goal totals have been inflated because of that.

KeanoMagicHat

Ronaldo not playing yesterday is such a non-story, I can’t believe it’s still going in the media.

1) We conceded 6 goals, peak Ronaldo wouldn’t have made a difference
2) Martial came on and scored twice, fully justifying his selection ahead of Ronaldo.

KeanoMagicHat

What happened to cities achievements being irrelevant bc they are an oil club? Doesn’t that make Haalands city achievements irrelevant too?

Anyway I’d take 22 year old Ronaldo over 22 year old Haaland 10 times out 10.
22 year old Ronaldo scored 17 goals in 34 games, Haaland has 14 goals in 8 games. Also you don’t know what either of them will do in the future. Haaland could be worse, he could be even better. Who knows?

Pickle85

22 year old Ronaldo scored 17 goals in 34 games, Haaland has 14 goals in 8 games. Also you don’t know what either of them will do in the future. Haaland could be worse, he could be even better. Who knows?
Was Ronaldo playing at CF at 22?

MrEleson

QUOTE="Bobski, post: 29550570, member: 110025"]
That is a huge understatement. His Madrid squads are some of the most overpowered squads to ever be assembled, multiple ballon'dor level players in the squad, all serving Ronaldo, and it should go without saying that his goal totals have been inflated because of that.
Halaand joined a City team at the perfect time where all they needed was just one final piece to the puzzle (you could maybe even say half a piece as they were still firing in goals with no recognisable striker). Ronaldo - while playing for absolutely phenomenal sides was part of a rebuilding project for at least the first 2-3 years of his Madrid career where the team was just a collection of players and they replaced 1 or 2 coaches before they did get it right.

Luka Mora

?
How many of Halaand’s were outside the 6 yard box?

Ronaldo has a far far better catalogue of goals than Halaand.
Haaland is just getting started. Ronaldo has a better catalogue of goals because he's played football for 16 more years. I'm sure James Vardy has a better catalogue of goals too, doesn't mean anything.

Shark

@NotShark
How many of those goals were penalties?
:lol: Are you seriously doing this? Ronaldo was a winger at 22 and is one of the greatest ever. Regardless of Haaland starting insanely well for City he has a mountain of work to do before these comparisons.

Red_toad

I did listen to it, Keane says Ronaldo had options, that he knows it as a fact. However, Keane never said what the options where. Also other than taking some salary off our wage bill, what was in these options for United? Did anybody offer us a transfer fee or not expect us to pay a lot of Ronaldo's salary?
I've no idea why you're asking on the Caf. Keane is obviously the person to speak to, or maybe Ronnie himself. Ten Hag stated he'd stay on numerous occasions and he's still here, that's all the facts anyone needs to know, anything else is just fantasy.

Last edited:

Bobski

Halaand joined a City team at the perfect time where all they needed was just one final piece to the puzzle (you could maybe even say half a piece as they were still firing in goals with no recognisable striker). Ronaldo - while playing for absolutely phenomenal sides was part of a rebuilding project for at least the first 2-3 years of his Madrid career where the team was just a collection of players and they replaced 1 or 2 coaches before they did get it right.
Hey I am perfectly happy to accept that Haaland is going to score a lot of easy goals due to absurdly unequal competition between the best and the rest, but Ronaldo and Messi also benefited from this, which is something that often got swept aside under the hype. Tons of people talked about how hard it was to make a comparison between strikers from earlier eras due to this issue. Hilarious though that people are already making excuses that it wasn't fair he didn't get to score as many easy goals as he could have.

It is not just those 2, Lewandowski, Suarez, Zlatan, Benzema, Cavani, playing in super teams = easy stat padding.

The_Midfielder

He was the reason they achieved.. If they didn't have ronaldo do you think they would have won 3 CL in a row, with prime Messi around ?

Bobski

He was the reason they achieved.. If they didn't have ronaldo do you think they would have won 3 CL in a row, with prime Messi around ?
Not even the argument, of course what you are saying is true, but it should be equally obvious that his and others goal totals are heavily linked to playing in super teams.

MrEleson

[/QUOTE]
Comparing their goal record really doesn’t make any fathomable sense and is quite disingenuous when they’re completely different players. One was playing primarily as an orthodox RW in a conventional 4-4-2 while the other is playing as a pure #9 in an ultra attacking set-up.

Also, Ronaldo in 06/07 was clearly in a planet of his own in a league with prime Gerrard, prime Lampard, prime Drogba and other defensive greats of the league like Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry et al.

He wasn’t even topscorer in the league back then but became the first (and still the only player) to win all 4 major PFA awards in the same season and subsequently finish 2nd in the Ballon D’or behind Kaka.

If Halaand achieves this sort of feat over the next season then we can have some sort of discussion but their skillset is still different. Ronaldo elevated us back then, while I’d argue Halaand while a top, top player; is a product of a great side in a fundamentally different era of football.

l

Last edited:

MrEleson

Haaland is just getting started. Ronaldo has a better catalogue of goals because he's played football for 16 more years. I'm sure James Vardy has a better catalogue of goals too, doesn't mean anything.
Has nothing to do with how long he’s been playing..

It has a lot to do with the specific skill-set of the player. Halaand simply doesn’t have it in his locker to score some of the long range scorchers and incredible FKs that Ronaldo has scored throughout his career (he was scoring these often around 22).

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There wouldn't be so much fuss about Ronaldo not starting if Manchester United had better and reliable forwards, as it is Ronaldo at his age is still their best striker and he can't be expected to start every game. Before half time the game was already done and at that point the priority was to stop conceding goals. It's a shame he isn't used in this type of games but it can't be helped and I wouldn't blame ETH or Ronaldo for being in this situation.

phelans shorts

There wouldn't be so much fuss about Ronaldo not starting if Manchester United had better and reliable forwards, as it is Ronaldo at his age is still their best striker and he can't be expected to start every game. Before half time the game was already done and at that point the priority was to stop conceding goals. It's a shame he isn't used in this type of games but it can't be helped and I wouldn't blame ETH or Ronaldo for being in this situation.
This is absolutely a lie.

Glorio

Ronaldo not playing yesterday is such a non-story, I can’t believe it’s still going in the media.

1) We conceded 6 goals, peak Ronaldo wouldn’t have made a difference
2) Martial came on and scored twice, fully justifying his selection ahead of Ronaldo.
To be fair, you can blame Keano for that.

Irrational.

Come back when your boy Haaland wins 5 Balon d’ors. He’s had a promising start and you’re getting carried away. Typical knee jerk behaviour.

Canuckred64

I've no idea why you're asking on the Caf. Keane is obviously the person to speak to, or maybe Ronnie himself. Ten Hag stated he'd stay on numerous occasions and he's still here, that's all the facts anyone needs to know, anything else is just fantasy.
I don't know Keane or Ronaldo personally, so where am I supposed to ask if not on a United forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.