Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosp

As a defender he could have imposed himself more on Long physically and made it more tougher to score from. I understand it's not about how tall you are but how good you are at marking your opponent from aerial crosses and how little room you give the striker to head the ball. He is a good CB but his little mistakes from set pieces / aerial crosses might cost us a game in future IMO.
Bullsh!t. Blind was in the right position all night and had Long flicked the ball towards the goal, it would have hit Blind instead. He also had two good headers away out jumping the attacker and people say he can't do that too.

carlosp

There were one or two occasions when he struggled in the air and allowed headers on goal.
Huh! What? I remember two occasions where Blind cleared the line with two headers clearly beating the attacker.

Also, Blind seems to be more tactically aware of the game (hence people talking about his intelligence). There were two situations during the game when the ball deflected or got passed out to a player in a better position to shoot at goal and on both occasions Blind was the first to react and run out to block the shot. Way ahead of Bailly and our other midfield players who should have been doing that job instead.

I know Smalling got a few minutes in game but I just can't see him replacing Blind at this moment.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...defensive_errors/errors_leading_to_goal#total

There were only two contested headers in the goal box vs Southampton. One was won by Daley vs Long and the other lost by Fellaini vs van Dijk. Daley won two headers over all and lost none.

http://epl.squawka.com/english-premier-league/19-08-2016/man-utd-vs-s-hampton/matches

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yep, been struck by this. I like Blind but I didn't think he'd last a week under Mourinho.
I thought Mourinho would keep Blind around to bring on as a sub to kill games off by keeping possession and making quick, simple passes between midfield and the backline, wasn't expecting Blind to stick around for that, but so far it's looking like Blind is playing his way Mourinho's starting lineup.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Does the fact that he takes the captains armband whenever Rooney goes off means that he's firmly into Jose's plans right now? Looks like he's been made the vice captain.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Does the fact that he takes the captains armband whenever Rooney goes off means that he's firmly into Jose's plans right now? Looks like he's been made the vice captain.
He's definitely 'firmly in Jose's plans' but I don't think that makes him vice-captain. In the Everton game and Rooney's testimonial, Valencia got the armband, so it just looks like any of the seniors close around seem to get it. I don't know if it was 'official' but I remember a few papers saying Zlatan is the vice-captain, though, Blind has been getting the armband as you say.

Seveneric

Strange that the players touted as dead cert departures are seemingly valued highly by Jose. I think it's great that we have such varied options in players. It allows us to really address our opponents weaknesses and strengths.
That's because majority of the time people just mention players they want/hope to see leave. No one really knows Mourinho's thoughts, except when it's obvious like with Schweinsteiger.

pseudo_canadian

Yeah I definitely think so.

I think Mourinho has quickly come to learn just how well Blind reads the game, and also, his ability to contribute in the attack from central defense. That's invaluable to any manager, and Mourinho is smart so he realizes the impact Blind can have as a leader.

I'm all for it, because Blind is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

friend

Rooney named him as his player of the season last year and now he is taking over the captain's armband when Rooney goes off while playing under a manager who's style doesn't suit him at all. Clearly, Rooney's got more influence over the club than even the manager.

In all seriousness though, Blind seemed like a leader last season and during parts of his first season so it's not that big of a surprise that he takes the armband when neither Carrick nor Smalling are on the pitch.

Interesting to see whether he keeps his place in the team now that Smalling is fit. I would assume it will be Bailly making way for Smalling for now as he settles into the league.

The United

So blind never won headers and never covered the side of bailly, right?

Just asking before people made that kind of argument again after the game.

MDFC Manager

So blind never won headers and never covered the side of bailly, right?

Just asking before people made that kind of argument again after the game.
The headers criticism is especially stupid, given he has an excellent leap and jump timing.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's looking like Blind as CB may have been the best decision LvG made in his time at the club. He's really impressing me this season, moreso than last, when I thought our risk-averse football masked some of our defensive frailties. This season he's not getting as much protection in this regard, but he's stepping up.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
This is what Blind does... he's consistent and technically excellent. A very intelligent player.

Any manager can see he's a very useful player, not surprised Mourinho rates him.

JeffBoomTetris

Keeping Smalling out of the lineup through his performances. I am pleased with him.Still, he and Bailly are not getting enough protection from the Pogba-Fellaini midfield

The United

It's looking like Blind as CB may have been the best decision LvG made in his time at the club. He's really impressing me this season, moreso than last, when I thought our risk-averse football masked some of our defensive frailties. This season he's not getting as much protection in this regard, but he's stepping up.
The protection thing is over stated. Most of protection jobs midfielders can possibly do is tracking runners and covering for CBs when they get pulled. The rest and main defending always is on defenders. You can have 5 mid players 'protecting' the defense but if the defenders themselves are shit, it won't matter.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The protection thing is over stated. Most of protection jobs midfielders can possibly do is tracking runners and covering for CBs when they get pulled. The rest and main defending always is on defenders. You can have 5 mid players 'protecting' the defense but if the defenders themselves are shit, it won't matter.
I just felt that our defence looked suspect when put under any genuine pressure last season. The reason we didn't concede more is because we weren't very open. Because of that I had doubts about Blind's actual quality as a CB. He's removing those doubts this season.

The United

I just felt that our defence looked suspect when put under any genuine pressure last season. The reason we didn't concede more is because we weren't very open. Because of that I had doubts about Blind's actual quality as a CB. He's removing those doubts this season.
Most would look suspect when putting under pressure though. It is more about nerve than the actual quality. If you are letting the other team getting the ball more often than they should, something might seem to happen.

Remember when people used to complain how we seemed to try to protect or drop our playing level after a goal lead even under SAF sometimes? Because we felt like we were not comfortable doing it even with the likes of vidic and rio. So it is nothing new.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Looks like he's been working out in the summer - he's fitter and faster than he was last season and that, on top of his brilliant reading of the game, makes him one hell of a player.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Said it in the podcast. van Gaal leaving and being outside of a comfortable situation for the first time in his career will be the making of him. I would love to see him continue as CB or move next to Pogba. Can't imagine a team without him in it now.

lysglimt

Scout
One thing is his defending - but his passes turn us from defense to attack - time and time again. MOTM naturally!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fantastic today. Arguably one of the biggest reasons we were able to maintain that pressure at the end. The second they cleared the ball, one of him or Bailly picked it up and would just ping it right into the wingers to go again. Gave hull no time at all to regroup. And that's precisely why Smalling will find it hard to get into the starting 11. Doesn't have that on the ball ability or composure like Blind and Bailly to move the ball around swiftly and keep the pressure on. Taking a touch on some passes just lets teams regroup and it's what we saw with LvG all the time, but different now. Blind probably assured his spot in the derby after the break with that, MotM in my book

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He's been terrific.Great professional. Has got his head down and worked with the new manager in his system and so far flourishing. Love him. Happy he wasn't sold.

Edit - My man of the match as well.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Like Blind but not as a defender but bloody hell he was superb today! Go on son.

3KDré

Incredibly solid, intelligent player. LVG really got this signing right.

JoaquinJoaquin

Started excellently this season. Going to be hard for Smalling to get back in this team, and who would of thought that in May.

Fingeredmouse

Fantastic again today. Let's see how he does against City, but he's been consistently excellent so far this season.

Bwuk

Absolute class yet again. Don't know why people want to to drop him for Smalling.

Bwuk

Coz we love pace and power.

oh and height.
I'd prefer players who can control and pass a ball. People who think Smalling is top notch are the same people who thought Jones was a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.