Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He is not good enough when marking a tall ST. Long gave him a hard time and Blind lost him couple of times to give him chance for header goals. On another day Long could have scored from that near post flick. Bailey and Smalling would be a better partnership against strong and bulky strikers.
He got two near post flicks all game, doesn't matter how tall or strong you are any defender will struggle to win those. Southampton had one shot on target, DDG didn't have to make any save of note.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We need this guy for the derby against the berties. His anticipation and intelligence is golden against a striker that moves like Künt Aguero.

madRedDevil07

He got two near post flicks all game, doesn't matter how tall or strong you are any defender will struggle to win those. Southampton had one shot on target, DDG didn't have to make any save of note.
Long did not hit the target with those near post flicks. Like i said on another day he would have scored. If Blind wants to start every game, then he has to improve his physicality and impose more on strikers. He was good with the passing and track the run of Long whenever ball was played over him. Decent game overall but smalling is a better defender against such opposition IMO.

The United

Long did not hit the target with those near post flicks. Like i said on another day he would have scored. If Blind wants to start every game, then he has to improve his physicality and impose more on strikers. He was good with the passing and track the run of Long whenever ball was played over him. Decent game overall but smalling is a better defender against such opposition IMO.
You do know that the flicks are usually nothing to do with the height? You can have 7 feet tall CB marking and the other guy might be able to flick past him. Sometimes, you have to give attackers credit instead of bashing on defenders.

madRedDevil07

You do know that the flicks are usually nothing to do with the height? You can have 7 feet tall CB marking and the other guy might be able to flick past him. Sometimes, you have to give attackers credit instead of bashing on defenders.
As a defender he could have imposed himself more on Long physically and made it more tougher to score from. I understand it's not about how tall you are but how good you are at marking your opponent from aerial crosses and how little room you give the striker to head the ball. He is a good CB but his little mistakes from set pieces / aerial crosses might cost us a game in future IMO.

The United

As a defender he could have imposed himself more on Long physically and made it more tougher to score from. I understand it's not about how tall you are but how good you are at marking your opponent from aerial crosses and how little room you give the striker to head the ball. He is a good CB but his little mistakes from set pieces / aerial crosses might cost us a game in future IMO.
tougher to score from? That's what he was doing all night.

Also if you are going to bring smalling into the equation about marking, you do know that he is one of the worst markers for CBs? Just watch when he has to defend set pieces. Shirt pulling may be a bad habbit. Also it shows that he does not have a good anticipation or lets say it a bad marking style. Smalling costs us as much as Blind's supposed costing us on Aerial crossings/set pieces last season. Not many defenders give away penalty for defending set pieces nowadays even with ridiculous shits going around . And remember who did last season?

ivaldo

They were barely even half chances. Physicality had nothing to do with it, they weren't physical challenges, they were essentially near post flicks, short of bundling through the attacker defenders are going to struggle to win those.

kumoli

Supports
Ajax
Physicality, physicality, physicality, pfffffffff.
Getting bored from this word. He and Smalling were the best defending duo last season in the PL. There where no physical players last year or what???
He is not short and skinny that he can't win battles and he has proved that for so many times. He is much better footballer than Smalling or Baily, period. Smalling can be swapt with Baily, Blind stays. He is not captain behind Roney for nothing. Mourinho has decided, not the players. Smalling is in real bad situation to be honest and definitely not a starter.

madRedDevil07

tougher to score from? That's what he was doing all night.

Also if you are going to bring smalling into the equation about marking, you do know that he is one of the worst markers for CBs? Just watch when he has to defend set pieces. Shirt pulling may be a bad habbit. Also it shows that he does not have a good anticipation or lets say it a bad marking style. Smalling costs us as much as Blind's supposed costing us on Aerial crossings/set pieces last season. Not many defenders give away penalty for defending set pieces. And remember who did?
I agree smalling gave away penalty against Newcastle and had couple of bad games last season but he was the stand out defender for us last season. He was better than blind if you take the whole last season into consideration. I am confident he must have made more tackles and won more aerial duels than blind. It would be better if we don't get into those who is a better defender currently discussion mode.

Lynty

Some people don't even watch football I swear. Just come in here with the same old crap every week.

Blinds mistakes come from his tendency to be drawn towards the ball or into gaps left by midfield. I've never seen a game where he has been physically dominated by the opposing striker. It's such a lazy criticism.

I agree that the arm band is clearly a sign of Jose approval.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Thought he was poor. Got pulled about the game. Would rather have Smalling back for the tougher games like today but Blind is still a valuable member of the squad.

Mike09

I think Jose likes him and it seems he's our third captain (assume Carrick as 2nd). With Fellaini and Pogba in starting eleven I don't think I'm going to complain about him not good in the air during set pieces. He will be my starter alongisde Smalling now as long as we have enough tall players to do defending during set pieces.

Welbeckham

I don't understand his critics. Fabulous footballer, who should just start every game.

VanGaalEra

Sorry Chris, you don't get into the team ahead of Daley or Bailly at the moment.

3KDré

I want him to start in a midfield three with Pogba and Fellaini. Smalling should be playing CB. That is not to say that Blind played badly today. He is a great player, it is just I would prefer us to have Smalling at the back.

Sylar

Think I said it before, but one of the most intelligent players ive seen play. Seen him play DM, LB and now CB. Hes just so calm and his reading of the game is really top notch.

MounchesterUtd

Two weeks ago, it was "Daley Blind will surely be sold"

Now he's just worn the captain's armband :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Some people don't even watch football I swear. Just come in here with the same old crap every week.

Blinds mistakes come from his tendency to be drawn towards the ball or into gaps left by midfield. I've never seen a game where he has been physically dominated by the opposing striker. It's such a lazy criticism.

I agree that the arm band is clearly a sign of Jose approval.
It has happened to be fair. I recall Pelle dominating him when we played Southampton last year off the top of my head.

I'm glad he's getting game-time though cause I like him as a utility player who can cover numerous roles, especially after the fears many had that he'd be sold.

Hellboy

His passing from the back is something else, there was that moment when he took the ball and passed it with with right taking off 3 players which was amazing.

Kant-ona

I was and I am a huge Blind fan since we signed him. And he is doing a very good job together with Bailly. However, two thoughts: (a) Bailly is a beast. In many situations he is looking that good that any second CB gets good reviews as well. (b) Smalling was one of the best players for the last two years. He and Bailly should be our CB partnership, specially because there are more dangerous opponents coming than Southhampton. And to think big: If we are back in the champions league one day, we want to win against the very big teams, right? Bailly and Smalling could be our new Rio/Vidic thing. The sooner the two beginn to play together the better.

So I like Blind a lot, but... the CB should be Bailly/Smalling.

ivaldo

It has happened to be fair. I recall Pelle dominating him when we played Southampton last year off the top of my head.

I'm glad he's getting game-time though cause I like him as a utility player who can cover numerous roles, especially after the fears many had that he'd be sold.
Unfortunately that's just it, no matter how few and far between his poor performances are as soon as he has one you get the same nonsense. There are far, far more examples of Blind dealing with strong and quick players than examples where he hasnt. When Smalling gets beaten in the air we don't hear that he's poor in the air, it's just qualified as a good header by the attacker.

There was even people here yesterday saying Longs near post flick ones were an example of Blinds weakness aerially, it doesn't matter how big or strong a centre back is they aren't going to win those types of headers.

lifted

I was and I am a huge Blind fan since we signed him. And he is doing a very good job together with Bailly. However, two thoughts: (a) Bailly is a beast. In many situations he is looking that good that any second CB gets good reviews as well. (b) Smalling was one of the best players for the last two years. He and Bailly should be our CB partnership, specially because there are more dangerous opponents coming than Southhampton. And to think big: If we are back in the champions league one day, we want to win against the very big teams, right? Bailly and Smalling could be our new Rio/Vidic thing. The sooner the two beginn to play together the better.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but could it not be that having Blind as a partner brings out the best of his fellow centre backs?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
was really nice touch for Rooney to give him the Captains arm band, it was well deserved and shows just how important he has become to us

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling is in real bad situation to be honest and definitely not a starter
2 games in you think an unfit Smalling who hasn't had a preseason is in a real bad situation? I predict Smalling gets back into the team once fit. Mourinho will not ignore his attributes and what he brings at the back. This is not saying Blind is not doing a good job because he is, but IMO Smalling will be back in the starting lineup. We shall see

Scarecrow

Having a week off
was really nice touch for Rooney to give him the Captains arm band, it was well deserved and shows just how important he has become to us
He got it last week, as well. Looks great on him. Hope he's officially surpassed Smalling in the captains' list. I love Mike but I'm more comfortable with Blind having it.

The United

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but could it not be that having Blind as a partner brings out the best of his fellow centre backs?
This is something people forget I guess.

Even jose said he brings out the best from Bailly. Also smalling suddenly improved a lot last season next to blind. Was he as good as that when he played with the likes of rojo, jones etc?

People are so into all these tall, strong, physical CBs playing together. But if neither are a leader type to make sure to organize the defense, you will have a shit one.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Have a feeling the Bailly/Smalling partnership would be too rash in making challenges and leave us exposed.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Almost aways the smartest player on the pitch, his reading of the game is really outstanding.
I actually thought he was sometimes a bit suspect in that regard last season. Intelligent player, but often played at centre-back as if he was a midfielder, and made the occasional rash error. He's really improved in that regard under Mourinho though and seems to be a lot more comfortable in his defensive role this season so far. Will be interesting to see how he fares in some of our bigger games.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Don't know why people keep mentioning the 4-3-3 formation. It's not going to happen, lads.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I was always one of the biggest naysayers about Blind. When he did well when loaned out to FC Groningen Ajax took him back and I was sure he wasn't good enough. And at first he really wasnt. He was sluggish, weak and indecicive. He slowly grew and became a solid player, but then I still thought Ajax was the best he could do. When United bought him I though LVG was crazy (he is I know) and assumed he only got playtime because LVG was his countryman, but now, he's simply put, an excellent player that's not at all misstanding at a reinvigorated United.

Hat's of to him really. And a good thing for our national team to. Maybe we can even qualify for a tournament this time..

Bwuk

I was always one of the biggest naysayers about Blind. When he did well when loaned out to FC Groningen Ajax took him back and I was sure he wasn't good enough. And at first he really wasnt. He was sluggish, weak and indecicive. He slowly grew and became a solid player, but then I still thought Ajax was the best he could do. When United bought him I though LVG was crazy (he is I know) and assumed he only got playtime because LVG was his countryman, but now, he's simply put, an excellent player that's not at all misstanding at a reinvigorated United.

Hat's of to him really. And a good thing for our national team to. Maybe we can even qualify for a tournament this time..
Van Dijk next to Blind at CB would be excellent.

HabeasC

Don't know why people keep mentioning the 4-3-3 formation. It's not going to happen, lads.
Probably because it makes so much sense. Gets the best out of Pogba and Martial. Also it means Rooney doesn't play, which I think is probably the key factor for a lot of people.

But in the past when we've played the formation everyone on here has been calling out for, it has never really worked. So whilst I'd love to see it happen, I'll trust Mourinho on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.