Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
Well, he had to use his brain right from the start in order to make up for his lack of pace and physicality in the LB position at Ajax. He also had to use his brain when he was moved from the LB to the DM role midway through his last season at Ajax and he was pivotal in turning what seemed to be at the time a bad season into a title winning one.

Fair play to the lad, i didn't think Mourinho would fancy a player with his skill set but he and Mata have shown great attitude. Their determination to fight for their places in the team is exactly what any fan likes to see from the players of the teams he supports on the pitch. I don't know if Blind's gonna be a regular starter once Smalling regains full fitness but i'm sure that he will get playing time. I also believe that Rooney giving him the armband when DDG, Valencia or even Zlatan were on the pitch is an indication that he is well respected in the dressing room.

As for his father, he was a very intelligent footballer indeed, not on Baresi's level but that's hardly a bad thing to say for any defender. He and Rijkaard were the leaders in the great side Ajax had in the mid 90's but on the pitch Blind was certainly the one who immediately caught your eye. The 35 year old captain and the not so pacey or athletic player in a team full of youth, speed and physicality. Great side that one...
Daley's father was a fair bit faster but less strong. They are really, really similar otherwise. Daley has a better passing range, both excellent vision and reading of the game. His dad was a bit better than Daley is currently. He was also captain of that Champions-league winning side.

His dad turned a tad faster, which seems rather important for a defender. Daley is still getting better rapidly however.

Ibi Dreams

Not put under any sort of pressure and looks half the player that Bailly is at centreback. How people have him as their MOM is beyond me.

First game where he gets put under pressure and has to win some aerial duels versus a strong tall striker, the tenure in this thread will be totally different.

I hope Jose signs another CB like Fonte and Blind and Smalling both end up on the bench.
People said the exact same thing about him but handling big and strong strikes last season and were proven wrong more often than not

Fingeredmouse

Not put under any sort of pressure and looks half the player that Bailly is at centreback. How people have him as their MOM is beyond me.

First game where he gets put under pressure and has to win some aerial duels versus a strong tall striker, the tenure in this thread will be totally different.

I hope Jose signs another CB like Fonte and Blind and Smalling both end up on the bench.
But it doesn't happen does it? He handles big strikers pretty well and even fast ones, and his pace is a bigger weakness than his strength. His reading of the game is, generally, superb. He occasionally makes positional errors, but he's making them less and less because he learns.

One year at centre half and he's getting better and better.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Clear WUM.

RedStarUnited

Started every game under Jose hasnt he?

Whats weird is every one is saying we want to sell him including Joses's mouthpiece Duncan Castles. Why would Jose invest so much time in playing him as a starter in all these games only to sell him?

Womp

idiot
Those passes he can pull off are immense, so strong, direct and accurate as feck. If Smalling does take his place next to Bailly, I would like to see him played in the holding role, would be immense there imo.

Quizierda

Did a great job yesterday together with Bailly at CB!

His anticipation and positional play clearly outweigh his lack in speed and physicality. Played good passes nearly every time and was calm whenever he got the ball or had to challenge an attacking opponent (despite the goal maybe).

He and Bailly are a great partnership and it will be very difficult for Chris to break through. I really do like Chris but at the moment I'd prefer not to break the Daley-Bailly partnership actually.

Classical Mechanic

I really like him as a centre back. I will always have massive respect for a player that can conquer massive physical disadvantages when coming up against a players like Lukaku using only intelligence.

Minimalist

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His consistency in CB is remarkable and I rate him very high as a footballer.

However, it seems people have already forgotten how good Smalling was last season. His form dropped in the second part of the season but his ceiling is sky high.

In my opinion, once Smalling gets into match rhythm he should take the CB spot beside Bailly, and Blind should be moved to midfield and play holding role in 4-3-3 behind Pogba and Herrera. His passing between the lines was top class today, and since I believe he improved massively this year, he's our best option there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think the big thing I got from yesterday was that it looked like he was bothered first and formost with actually defending, and all that passing fancy-dan shit came after that... his concentration levels yesterday were excellent.

podurban2

I still really want to see him as a CDM, that way we can fit all three of Blind, Smalling, and Bailly. Blind is a very clever footballer, and now that he is used to the PL I think he can take on that role without difficulties. I also believe he could be great at man marking #10s such as Coutinho in that role while still connecting the play between the defence and the midfield. If we could fit all three we would be rock solid at the back, and I am sure we will see it happen once we want to keep hold of a 1-0 lead.

Lynty

Another top performance. Not even surprised any more. Smalling will have to wait for someone to make a mistake before he gets his chance now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This guy seems like the perfect CB for Pep.
Was about to say this but you said many hours back. His precision passing from deep is excellent and also his reading of the game.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Smalling should have his work cut out getting back in with the way Blind and Bailly have performed so far.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I gave him my MOM on here. Tbh Bailley should have it, but I figured he'd get the majority of the votes and Blind would be overlooked. I said in pre-season that I could see Blind being sidelined, certainly as a CB this season. I think as pure CB's Smalling, Bailley and Jones "should" all be ahead of him. BUT... yesterday he once again put in a wonderful performance. He reads the game so well, and his timing when it comes to nicking the ball from strikers, even ones considerably faster/stronger than he is, is exceptional. Great credit for a great performance, will it be enough to see him continue to picked once Smaling is fit, who knows ??

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So did anyone say anything positive about Van Gaal for playing Blind as CB? His position change has worked superbly.

Keegs

Blind is a brilliant player would look world class at city or barca.

beergod

Judging by an admittedly small sample size, I think he will be tough to displace this season. The switch from LVG's man to man marking setup did the CBs no favors and probably hurt him more than it did Smalling because of Blind's inability to recover from being dragged into odd positions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So did anyone say anything positive about Van Gaal for playing Blind as CB? His position change has worked superbly.
Personally I only needed one game to not be skeptical about Blind as a CB, the game against Barcelona in preseason. After that game I was comfortable with him as a CB, now I'm fine with Rojo too, so...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Personally I only needed one game to not be skeptical about Blind as a CB, the game against Barcelona in preseason. After that game I was comfortable with him as a CB, now I'm fine with Rojo too, so...
You could have picked the league game vs Everton in April where he basically toyed with Lukaku.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His reading of the game is simply brilliant. He could play in 7 different positions and do a decent job.

Dutchjerry

He's a perfect twelfth man for a squad: he can player everywhere in defence (also RB) and he played one of his best matches at Ajax against Barca in the CL as a CDM.
The fact he became captain when Rooney got substituted says enough about the twist Mourinho's thoughts.

Ibi Dreams

He's a perfect twelfth man for a squad: he can player everywhere in defence (also RB) and he played one of his best matches at Ajax against Barca in the CL as a CDM.
The fact he became captain when Rooney got substituted says enough about the twist Mourinho's thoughts.
We don't know that Mourinho ever didn't like him - he played enough in preseason to suggest that Mourinho has liked him from the start. Think it's just journalists realising they were wrong and framing that as Mourinho having changed his mind

Mike09

Blind's weakness is his defending set pieces, tends to lose his men too easily and can't win header against a strong or tall players, I prefer him defending the far or near post not marking his men because without any of physical attribute and pace it won't be easy to mark your men one on one at set pieces. But this can be covered with Fellaini's physical attribute.

Another weakness is he tends to lose his man easily when the opposition players made cross to our box which cost us a few goals last season, again without any physical attribute and pace, it will be hard to follow your striker who has a good movement off the ball and I think he can fix this from what he learnt last season and Jose might give him some advice. Other than these two weakness he's a perfect centre back. I don't buy a centre back without pace is an issue because Terry and Vidic aren't pacey centre back either but they are intelligent. I'm happy that Jose rates him as a centre back. I think he's very underrated even I don't rate him that high but I think he deserves more.

Man Utd 2:0 Southampton

Minimalist

For all the goodness of Zlatan, Rooney, Mata, Pogba etc. Tonight Blind again is bossing it, even getting involved with moves in the final third in certain moments.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
For all the goodness of Zlatan, Rooney, Mata, Pogba etc. Tonight Blind again is bossing it, even getting involved with moves in final thirds in certain moments.
Amen to this. The most intelligent player in the league. Imagine what a team of Daley Blind's could do :drool:

Wishe

Extremely intelligent player, the way he handles bigger and quicker players is very very impressive!

madRedDevil07

Extremely intelligent player, the way he handles bigger and quicker players is very very impressive!
He is not good enough when marking a tall ST. Long gave him a hard time and Blind lost him couple of times to give him chance for header goals. On another day Long could have scored from that near post flick. Bailey and Smalling would be a better partnership against strong and bulky strikers.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Smalling will move in for him just because of his physical limitations. Which is a shame.

The United

He is not good enough when marking a tall ST. Long gave him a hard time and Blind lost him couple of times to give him chance for header goals. On another day Long could have scored from that near post flick. Bailey and Smalling would be a better partnership against strong and bulky strikers.
Yeah you are forgetting about when he won the headers.

But, nope and let's talk about how and when smalling and bailey messed up on the ground too.

Devil81

Gonna be a big call replacing Blind, he's a fantastic football and I actually think we will lose something by taking him out of our team.

Maybe Mourinho has more sense then to drop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.