Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he's been sold. It's just re-peddled Castles nonsense. Why would we sell Rojo and Blind? Not only does that leave us short at CB, it leaves no LB cover.

The United

I think he'd sell him, he doesn't really fit the Jose mould as defender or midfielder, and he is player we could sell for a decent fee, which if Jose wants a commanding CB then he's going to have to do.

I would be sad to see him go, but I could easily see it happening.
You or we don't really know shit about what kind of players Jose wants at United.

All the proofs so far has been saying it.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
I think we would be a mistake to sell Blind. He can cover a number of positions and is often available in a side that usually struggles with injuries.
Even if he's not a starting CB, I'm sure there will be plenty of games for him there, at LB, and maybe some at CM too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Really chuffed to see that José rates him as I was fearing he'd be up for sale. When Smalling comes back I'd like to see Blind move to midfield and play in a 3 with Pogba and Mkhi. I doubt we'll ever see it but I hope we test it out against some weaker opposition at Old Trafford.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jose will dump him when Smalling is fit, and Daley won't settle for a place just on the bench long term. Hopefully we find enough games to rotate and keep everyone happy, I'd love to have Blind in the long term for us.

Silas

Jose will dump him when Smalling is fit, and Daley won't settle for a place just on the bench long term. Hopefully we find enough games to rotate and keep everyone happy, I'd love to have Blind in the long term for us.
Naturally Carrick won't start every game though. With Schweinsteiger apparently out of the picture, Daley's probably our only other option in terms of skillset, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature quite frequently.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Naturally Carrick won't start every game though. With Schweinsteiger apparently out of the picture, Daley's probably our only other option in terms of skillset, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature quite frequently.
I hope so, but I see Schneiderlin holding the fort for Pogba in that 2 man pivot more so than Daley.

Silas

I hope so, but I see Schneiderlin holding the fort for Pogba in that 2 man pivot more so than Daley.
Yeah, I don't think Daley has the energy to cover Pogba when he attacks the final third, so I'd agree that Schneiderlin could potentially make a better partner in a double pivot. My thinking was based around the idea that we'd play a 4-3-3 with Blind/Carrick at the base and Pogba and Morgan ahead. We'll have to see how the Rooney situation pans out to have an idea of whether that ever has a chance of materialising.

ti vu

Apparently He isn't a mourinho CB eh? Yet he has played only at CB all pre season.
Rewatch Dortmund game. If that's CB then I don't know what CB even means.

Anyways, Blind may not be ideal, but at the moment, his organizing skill, intelligence would be more suited to partner Bailly. Smalling's weakness in leadership is the issue here.

BigBebe

I can't believe Jose would let him go. He is an intelligent, versatile footballer.

On Sunday, you could almost see the LVG shackles fall away from him as he started making positive forward passes out of defence.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wouldn't surprise me if he keeps Blind and Smalling as his main centreback pairing with Bailly covering for the first season.

prath92

Rewatch Dortmund game. If that's CB then I don't know what CB even means.

Anyways, Blind may not be ideal, but at the moment, his organizing skill, intelligence would be more suited to partner Bailly. Smalling's weakness in leadership is the issue here.
We also played other games where he was almost always at CB.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Blind will not be sold. He proved now that he can do a job at CB and could also play as a DM, especially if Carrick continues to be poor

ti vu

We also played other games where he was almost always at CB.
Not that your original post said. You used "only" and "all", not almost.

Blind with Bailly and Shaw have better balance in that Shaw's strong defensive game would cover for Blind's lack of physicality (we missed that for majority of our season since Shaw's injury). With Smalling, Blind was subjects to be closing down passing lanes. Bailly's ability on ball means that team wouldn't press our back as much and commit less man forward.

Last edited:

Ainu

I'd still like to see how Blind could do in midfield with our current squad. Blind as the defensive midfielder providing discipline and stability, Schneiderlin as the runner and Pogba as the most attacking midfielder works well on paper. Not sure if it'd work on the pitch but I'd love to find out. At first glance he lacks the physique but with beasts like Smalling, Bailly, Schneiderlin and Pogba around him surely that wouldn't be a problem.

Kag

Selling Blind would be spectacularly stupid. Reliable, consistent, versatile and almost always fit. He's played more minutes in pre season that everybody else, too.

If we intend to loan out Borthwick-Jackson then he's our go to deputy in the event Shaw gets injured.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's had a ton of minutes this preseason, he must be up near the very top of total minutes for all our players actually, so hopefully it bodes well that Mou will keep him.

Last edited:

settembrini

Really chuffed to see that José rates him as I was fearing he'd be up for sale. When Smalling comes back I'd like to see Blind move to midfield and play in a 3 with Pogba and Mkhi. I doubt we'll ever see it but I hope we test it out against some weaker opposition at Old Trafford.
Exactly this.

I thought for sure Blind would struggle for time under Mourinho but so far he's started every game. Obviously that might not continue but at least he's getting chances. And I'd love to see him playing at the base of a midfield with Pogba and Mkhitaryan, he was very good in a similar role in his first season.

m1y2

We play Fellaini nearly every game and errors don't get much bigger than his yesterday.

Carrick did the same in the last game.

It happens.
Fellaini shouldn't be starting for us that's a one thing and also it's different with defenders, the world class defenders hardly make any mistakes.. like Rio, same with goalkeepers - DDG

flappyjay

We got this guy for 16 million, one of Ed's best deals....I know Stones will improve but at the moment Blind makes the more important passes from the back whilst Stones likes playing around with it....this 5 posts thing is so limiting:(

marlowe78

It would be dumb to get rid of him, especially with our injury history and the fact that we have an aging player as one of our holding MF. He should absolutely be kept. Quite honestly, I would keep him and BFS because there's no telling if we'll need another body.

I'm staying optimistic since he's played well during the pre-season and Mourinho must see that.

Kant-ona

He was good against Leicester and he still is a very versatile player. I hope/think Mou doesn't even think about letting him go.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We got this guy for 16 million, one of Ed's best deals....I know Stones will improve but at the moment Blind makes the more important passes from the back whilst Stones likes playing around with it....this 5 posts thing is so limiting:(
Indeed.
Though I think LVG had something to do with this. He used the Dutch connection to persuade Blind to force the deal through.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was good against Leicester and he still is a very versatile player. I hope/think Mou doesn't even think about letting him go.
Can't see Mourinho getting rid of him, he's playing him over Jones so far. Obviously doesn't rate him that badly!.

ReDDHDevilS

I's very confident a week or so ago but now I'm not so much. Especially after the comment Jose made when he's asked about Bailly, saying something along the lines of it's a big ask for him to play without Smalling alongside him although he did mention Blind did help him, I'm a bit skeptical now.

It'd be a huge disappointment if Blind leaves club and I's not one of his admirers when we signed him. But in the last 3 years he's won me over. A class act on and off the pitch.

I'm now just hoping against hope that Jose might keep him in some capacity!

Last edited:

Mike09

He won't leave. Jones didn't even make a bench. And by the time Smalling is ready, Rojo will be dropped and Blind will replace Rojo from the bench spot. Even though I rated him as our 4th best player last season I still think I underrated him because Blind is better than what I thought as a centre back.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
No LVG didn't force the deal through, everyone in Holland thought Daley wasn't good enough for United. LVG likes smart players, who think instead of act on instinct. He's also good friends with his father, who used to be his captain in his Champions League winning side.

It is Daley's own accomplishment that he managed to overcomb scepticism so often. He has improved so many times and I think he's as good as he is ever going to be, but I'm weary of doubting him ever again.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Would be nice if he could take over from Carrick as our DM.

I remember him and Fellaini in midfield against City when we we're down to 10 men, they did a great job.

With Pogba as the partner his lack of physic and height wouldn't be much of a problem.

Bournemouth 1:3 Man Utd

Tiber

Proves me wrong every week atm, damn good premier league cb. I would still worry about him if we ever get back go the champions league and against big powerful strikers like Drogba, but Blind is a much better cb than I gave him credit for

ivaldo

He's been flawless again, baffles me how people don't rate him.

OneUnited24

He's been flawless again, baffles me how people don't rate him.
Ditto, what annoys me is people point to his lack of physicality/pace as reasons why he wont make it at CB but hes so clever in reading the game and getting to the ball first it doesnt matter.

I also like the passing he brings from the CB position

ivaldo

Ditto, what annoys me is people point to his lack of physicality/pace as reasons why he wont make it at CB but hes so clever in reading the game and getting to the ball first it doesnt matter.

I also like the passing he brings from the CB position
And his lack of physicality is wildly over exaggerated too, he rarely gets bullied by forwards, no more so than your standard EPL defender.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Blind has been excellent. Bailly got the MOTM but for me Blind was better.

Very very surprised too, because I was almost certain that Jose wouldn't have Blind at CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.