Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudo_canadian

But wait, the Caf said he wasn't a proper center back?

Class yet again today, silencing his doubters.

Such a smart, positionally aware player. Makes things look easy.

3KDré

To be honest I barely noticed him on the pitch, which I think is a good sign that he is consistently playing well in that position.

The United

If jose defensive structure is nothing like LVG in the sense that CBs have to follow their markers all over the place, it would suit more to Blind since he is smart enough to position himself to intercept more often instead of dueling and running all over the place.

Also, if Jose wants us to pass us quick to final 3rd and hold the ball there, he is good at playing that way. I don't think smalling has a place for sure in first team as much as some people here like to think.

Also, people saying smalling was the best CB last season. Well, Blind was very close if not as good as him over all plus some goal/assists contribution from the back. It is not as clear cut as it is.

ricky-romeo

he is a player that will never drop out of the 18 man squad.

i wasn't sure about him playing at CB at first this time last year but he was one of our better outfield players. it seems that jose also rates him as a CB which is nice for him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Amen to that. DB17 :drool:

AgentP

If jose defensive structure is nothing like LVG in the sense that CBs have to follow their markers all over the place, it would suit more to Blind since he is smart enough to position himself to intercept more often instead of dueling and running all over the place.

Also, if Jose wants us to pass us quick to final 3rd and hold the ball there, he is good at playing that way. I don't think smalling has a place for sure in first team as much as some people here like to think.

Also, people saying smalling was the best CB last season. Well, Blind was very close if not as good as him over all plus some goal/assists contribution from the back. It is not as clear cut as it is.
Still think Smalling will push Blind to the bench. His height and speed will help us play a more attacking setup since we won't have to worry about being hit on the counter. Jose has been known to prefer players with good physical attributes especially in defense.

Ixion

It was good of Jose when asked about how well Baily did to point to Blind's good performance alongside him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Gladly see him as our DMF instead of Carrick. The passes he makes are lethal.

Big fan of the guy. Will be incredibly disappointed if we sell him/don't utilise him efficiently this season.

The United

Still think Smalling will push Blind to the bench. His height and speed will help us play a more attacking setup since we won't have to worry about being hit on the counter. Jose has been known to prefer players with good physical attributes especially in defense.
You have one tall, fast and strong cb already with Blind. How on earth smalling who seems super awkward with any kind of passing will help us play a more attacking set up? If you open up a lot more and have no plan to stop the other team's counter, no amount of speedy CB will help. Preventing from counter attack should never relied solely on CBs.

Dobbs

Yeah very true. It's an occasion when myself and others have to admit to getting it wrong. He's done very well there.

Big fan of the guy. Will be incredibly disappointed if we sell him/don't utilise him efficiently this season.
Good point. Him being a DMF has almost been forgotten and seeing we're short in that department it makes sense.

AgentP

You have one tall, fast and strong cb already with Blind. How on earth smalling who seems super awkward with any kind of passing will help us play a more attacking set up? If you open up a lot more and have no plan to stop the other team's counter, no amount of speedy CB will help. Preventing from counter attack should never relied solely on CBs.
Our team is not going to depend on our defenders to launch our attacks. If this was a Guardiola team, then a player like Blind will be more valued than Smalling. Having two strong and fast CBs at the back will help in defending against crosses and set pieces where we are the weakest. Our midfielders will have more freedom to drive forward when we have two very quick CBs as they can quickly cover from behind. Smalling might not be the greatest passer but his positional sense is in no way inferior to Blind. And I'm not saying we should rely on our CBs alone to prevent counters but I know which CB I would want to have on the pitch when we are being counter attacked. Blind has been a great CB for us but Smalling is definitely better in my opinion.

Dr Pavel

I disagree. I remember him playing in midfield 2 seasons ago. He had the same problem Carrick does defensively. That is he can't stop a player running at him. He's too slow to follow the runner, so his only option is to go up to press. But he often commits way too early and players were just waltzing past him. It leaves us vulnerable during a counter when the DM is taken out of the game so early and the attacker gets to run straight at the defence.

What he has that Carrick doesn't is time. So perhaps he will be able to get better at this aspect of his game. We shall see. But I still think he serves us better playing in defence as we don't currently have anyone who's as good as he is at passing out from the back.

Minimalist

Two seasons ago Blind wasn't given a good run of games in that position, he was moved all over the place if my memory is correct and ended up at left back at the end - to suggest that tells us anything about his ability to play DM is just ridiculous. Especially when for any other player we insist on seeing on how they perform over 4-5 consecutive games first before drawing conclusions.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but we still haven't seen him played in Carrick's position for any appreciable amount of time. I'm convinced he would offer more than what we're currently getting from the latter.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
I disagree. I remember him playing in midfield 2 seasons ago. He had the same problem Carrick does defensively. That is he can't stop a player running at him. He's too slow to follow the runner, so his only option is to go up to press. But he often commits way too early and players were just waltzing past him. It leaves us vulnerable during a counter when the DM is taken out of the game so early and the attacker gets to run straight at the defence.

What he has that Carrick doesn't is time. So perhaps he will be able to get better at this aspect of his game. We shall see. But I still think he serves us better playing in defence as we don't currently have anyone who's as good as he is at passing out from the back.
This problem you describe has plagued him all his life. He's been solving it with his mind ever since, since his body can't do it. When he was left-back at Ajax, right wingers surged past him, leaving us exposed. He was loaned out, and when he came back, it didn't happen anymore. He wasn't any faster, but he seemed to focus on detecting where they were going really early.

As a team you can compensate for Blind's weakness to a surging dribble, or he might be able to solve it again by being highly mentally focussed, but I don't think he will ever be able to train his body so he's naturally able to do it. If he could, he would have long ago since he has a great work ethic.

Litch

It's amazing in football we talk about things people can't do but not what they can. All this talk about his lack of statue or pace which might be the case but how many times in a game does he get out jumped or out paced. He's clever and hides his weaknesses well in his positional play.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think we will see changes between Smalling, Blind and Baily depending on who we are playing. In a game where we expect bombardment into the box, could see Smalling and Baily start. For a game where you expect us to hold possession, Blind would start imo.
When Evans was cover for Rio and Vidic, he played loads of games as both had plenty of niggling injuries and rest periods.

Likewise as Bailly is still raw and naive wrt PL football, he'll be used strategically.

I like Blind alot, one of my favourite players in post SAF United. He can play anywhere across the back 4 and ad a holding midfield player.

Way too talented, valuable and likeable to be sold. I'd be very sad if Mourinho shopped him out.

Shark

@NotShark
I think he's actually quite a classy footballer. Probably LVG's best signing aside from Martial.

Dr Pavel

Two seasons ago Blind wasn't given a good run of games in that position, he was moved all over the place if my memory is correct and ended up at left back at the end - to suggest that tells us anything about his ability to play DM is just ridiculous. Especially when for any other player we insist on seeing on how they perform over 4-5 consecutive games first before drawing conclusions.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but we still haven't seen him played in Carrick's position for any appreciable amount of time. I'm convinced he would offer more than what we're currently getting from the latter.
I'm sure he would offer more as Carrick should be nowhere near the team atm. Doesn't mean he should be best deployed there.

I also don't agree that we have not seen enough of him there. But whatever. I've already said that he has time to improve.

This problem you describe has plagued him all his life. He's been solving it with his mind ever since, since his body can't do it. When he was left-back at Ajax, right wingers surged past him, leaving us exposed. He was loaned out, and when he came back, it didn't happen anymore. He wasn't any faster, but he seemed to focus on detecting where they were going really early.

As a team you can compensate for Blind's weakness to a surging dribble, or he might be able to solve it again by being highly mentally focussed, but I don't think he will ever be able to train his body so he's naturally able to do it. If he could, he would have long ago since he has a great work ethic.
Yes obviously he won't be able to run any faster. But he should choose when to commit more wisely. And make sure if he does commit that he gets the ball.

I think playing in defence is better for him because the ball is either passed for the striker to run into, or the striker is playing with his back to goal. Both of which is much easier to deal with then having someone runs at you. Something that a DM will have to deal with much more often.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bailly Blind seems a more natural pairing than Bailly Smalling somehow
We haven't even see the latter two play. He was good yesterday but again we were absolutely overloaded with set-pieces and throw-ins that we couldn't handle well at all. Smalling alongside Bailly will help with that a lot more.
Missed that. What did he say?
Mourinho said:
'I think Bailly is the perfect opponent for people like they have because he is as fast as they are. I know the player he is but you always have a little question mark when a player comes from a completely different level and plays his first match for Manchester United officially at Wembley with these responsibilities, without Smalling. The way he played I think he was really good but I have to say Daley also gave him the stability he needs.'
Sounds like Smalling will be the first choice partner (as expected) but Blind is doing a very good job in keeping in Mourinho's good books.

dichinero

If all of our players were half as intelligent as Blind, we would walk the league

RedCurry

Smalling will have to fight for a place in starting IX. Blind sort of perfectly compliments both Bailly and Smalling.

He starts so many of our attacks with those perfectly threaded balls. You can see how everyone in our defensive third is always looking to pass the ball to him, especially when we are being pressed. That to me is leadership.

Chip

Smalling will have to fight for a place in starting IX. Blind sort of perfectly compliments both Bailly and Smalling.

He starts so many of our attacks with those perfectly threaded balls. You can see how everyone in our defensive third is always looking to pass the ball to him, especially when we are being pressed. That to me is leadership.
I agree - I definitely think Blind deserves a spot in the starting XI.

Mourinho did say something along the lines of "Bailly did very well, even without Smalling's guidance" in one of the post game interviews yesterday, though. That makes it seem like Smalling-Bailly is his preferred pairing. It does make sense given Mourinho's fondness of physical players.

RedCurry

I agree - I definitely think Blind deserves a spot in the starting XI.

Mourinho did say something along the lines of "Bailly did very well, even without Smalling's guidance" in one of the post game interviews yesterday, though. That makes it seem like Smalling-Bailly is his preferred pairing. It does make sense given Mourinho's fondness of physical players.
Both Smalling and Bailly seem very similar type of players. They might work out but I still think they are both going to do better with a ball playing CB.

beergod

Did anyone else think that he forward passing was far more aggressive yesterday than during LvG's management? He has usually put in 1-2 of his passes where he neatly bypasses the midfield band of players but he did it quite a few times yesterday.

ShakeUnBake

Supports
Ajax
At Ajax when he was defensive mid (and best player in the league that year) he had a great driving pass forward, almost like a shot on goal, low and accurate. We haven't seen it much at United, but he has that in his toolkit.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Has Mourinho made any actual comments specifically about Blind, without people reading between the lines?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Genuinely think he was our best defender last season. Won almost all duels no matter the type of player. Fast, strong, tall... Daley knew how to play against them.

The United

Our team is not going to depend on our defenders to launch our attacks. If this was a Guardiola team, then a player like Blind will be more valued than Smalling. Having two strong and fast CBs at the back will help in defending against crosses and set pieces where we are the weakest. Our midfielders will have more freedom to drive forward when we have two very quick CBs as they can quickly cover from behind. Smalling might not be the greatest passer but his positional sense is in no way inferior to Blind. And I'm not saying we should rely on our CBs alone to prevent counters but I know which CB I would want to have on the pitch when we are being counter attacked. Blind has been a great CB for us but Smalling is definitely better in my opinion.
Well if you are a top team, you would want to have your players in all positions to be able to pass/cross ball pretty good. Because that's how you outplay the other teams and increase the chance of winning you know?

CB's distribution from the back is almost as important as Gk's imo. In fact it is quicker in tempo and transition plays. Otherwise, CBs have to find someone in their team to pass the ball up front first slowing everything down. And if that good passer is being marked, it gets even harder. Nothing wrong with how pep likes to play and it is how he win shits load. If anything, we should get some of it for ourselves.

gza the genius

Whether he's a starter or not selling him would be madness. He's shown he can be very good at both center back and left back while here and I'd be interested to see him given a shot in midfield again as well. He was very solid yesterday, wouldn't be disappointed at all if he were one of our starting center backs again this season.

caid

Rumours about him being sold continue - lazy journalism or do people think jose would dump him given the chance? (ie we pick up another cb or two)

ShakeUnBake

Supports
Ajax
Yes obviously he won't be able to run any faster. But he should choose when to commit more wisely. And make sure if he does commit that he gets the ball.

I think playing in defence is better for him because the ball is either passed for the striker to run into, or the striker is playing with his back to goal. Both of which is much easier to deal with then having someone runs at you. Something that a DM will have to deal with much more often.
I was actually agreeing with you. Your observations sync up with mine, and I've followed him at Ajax since his debut.

Donut

At Ajax when he was defensive mid (and best player in the league that year) he had a great driving pass forward, almost like a shot on goal, low and accurate. We haven't seen it much at United, but he has that in his toolkit.
He does show that a lot for us as well, even from CB. He's the only one besides Carrick that can pick these passes on a regular basis.

C'est Moi Cantona

Rumours about him being sold continue - lazy journalism or do people think jose would dump him given the chance? (ie we pick up another cb or two)
I think he'd sell him, he doesn't really fit the Jose mould as defender or midfielder, and he is player we could sell for a decent fee, which if Jose wants a commanding CB then he's going to have to do.

I would be sad to see him go, but I could easily see it happening.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He started 8 games in a row between September and November, and it was only in his final appearance in that run that he played centre back. In the second half of the season he was moved around a bit more primarily because Carrick established himself as the clearly superior midfielder in November and December, when we went on an an 11-game unbeaten run. Carrick has undoubtedly regressed in that time and Blind really flourished last season, but I'm not convinced the results would be all that different this time around. He looked far better at both left back and centre back than he did in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.