Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingshe7don

Like Sanchez?

We need to be building for the future with young and hungry players. This kid fits the bill and at £15m why not?
What is wrong with you? Not every impact player needs to be a Sanchez and not every player with potential needs to be James. I'm not in support of spending money on players who hasn't proven or shown signs of making it big. We have way too many attacking players who are very young at the moment. We should be looking for 24/25 year olds to maintain a balance. Carrasco and Pepe would be my considerations.

ArjenIsM3

we're talking about football not greyhound racing.
And working hard (which Martial has shown he is incapable of) is part of football too. Apart from his conversion rate Martial has been fairly shite for years now. There's the odd flash of brilliance but it's not enough. Why are you still defending him?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The same 'mickey mouse league' that produced the likes of Brooks and Neves and Jota .....so what?
Neves and Jota were a typical big fish small pond scenario. Buffon and Del Piero played in the Serie B. No one say he was Serie B material.

I've yet to understand the hype behind Brooks. He scored 7 goals this season, 6 of which against small clubs. Some speak about him as if he's Messi.

PS we're talking about the same league in which Sessegnon looked like a world beater in it.

RedDevilRoshi

Not really seen much of this young lad but hopefully he turns out to be a very good signing. Same bracket as a David Brooks, James Maddison. All young players bought from the Championship but don’t look out of place at all in the PL.

This is the sort of signings we used to make under Fergie. Good, young players with a lot of potential to develop.

Nick7

You conveniently ignore that I mentioned Greenwood and went and focused on Chong. If James is a player that Liverpool, Spurs and City wouldn't consider, I wouldn't go after him. Just because 15m is chump change in the current transfer market, does not mean we should be spending money foolishly on someone who hasn't displayed enough potential to succeed. I mean he hasn't really done well in the Championship. The PL is a different ball game.
Not that we're signing him, but how has he "not done well" in the Championship? Because he hasn't scored 50 goals?

Snafu17

It’s pennies to United, and he’ll probably be on less than half of the wages of the player he’ll replace.

Bringing in 7 new players and shipping loads out I’d argue is absolutely ideal. City have done it to great success and we need it now more than they ever did.
Yeah, bollocks it is, it wasn't ideal for City neither, but they made it work. If anything you want to gradually improve your squad, hitting the reset button is a gamble at the very least. The last time we did it was under LVG and half the players turned out to be flops.

gr3yham3

Think it will be a good signing - gives us more options if Ole wants to really go on the counter-attack. Good age and can only improve, quite sure Ole got a few references from Giggsy as well. If this goes through, will be one transfer out of my summer wishlist of Fernandes, De Ligt, Dybala, Meunier and Godfrey done.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You conveniently ignore that I mentioned Greenwood and went and focused on Chong. If James is a player that Liverpool, Spurs and City wouldn't consider, I wouldn't go after him. Just because 15m is chump change in the current transfer market, does not mean we should be spending money foolishly on someone who hasn't displayed enough potential to succeed. I mean he hasn't really done well in the Championship. The PL is a different ball game.
I didn't mention Greenwood because he's a striker. I mentioned Chong because he's a winger and not very good.

So we only should go after players after other teams are linked to them? Instead of using our scouting network? Sounds like a great plan - well done.

I very much doubt you have watched him more than our scouts to know his potential - moaning because you haven't got a clue who he is and he's not a flashy name.

He's not coming in to be our saviour next season at 15m from the championship. He's signed for his potential.

Toad

I am actually very happy with this potential signing. Good price, young and hopefully won’t earn enough to think he has made in and walk around the pitch like a fecking cnut.

devilish

And working hard (which Martial has shown he is incapable of) is part of football too. Apart from his conversion rate Martial has been fairly shite for years now. There's the odd flash of brilliance but it's not enough. Why are you still defending him?
Not flashes of brilliance, he's brilliant. Unfortunately he lacks commitment and I wouldn't mind if he leaves this year. However saying that this Championship boy who scored what? 5 goals in the Championship? Is an upgrade is silly.

OL29

Hardly a ridiculous point to say that he's better than a championship winger though is it? I know a lot of people don't like Martial on here but it's hardly ridiculous to say that he's ahead of James right now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I saw him score that goal when he ran the length of the pitch and left about 3 opponents in his wake and he caught my eye then. He’s Mbappé-level fast.

I’m not going to pretend I’ve seen much else since then other than clips, but I’ve always kept an eye out for his highlights since then. I think the fact that he’s rapid is being used against him in this thread. The fact that he can fly is making him a poor/limited footballer by default to many posters it seems.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Posters are hilarious. Throwing their toys out the pram over a kid who by all accounts has potential possibly coming in for a nominal fee. Based on nothing but the league he played in and a few stats. Maybe if some watched him play then formed an opinion of whether he's good or not.

Bojan11

£15m is worth the punt. Throw them Lingard too and it’s a good deal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hardly a ridiculous point to say that he's better than a championship winger though is it? I know a lot of people don't like Martial on here but it's hardly ridiculous to say that he's ahead of James right now.
Martial is ahead of James right now and he is ahead of most current attacking players in the PL too. What Martial isn't, is ahead of the best attacking players in the league and not consistent enough to catapult us at the top. People need to make a difference between not being good and not being the best.

starman

Two footed, rapid, works hard, British, lots of potential, relatively cheap....and people still find something to complain about.

He might not turn out to realise his potential, but if he does we would have signed a hell of player, thats what people should be focusing on

devilish

Amazed how childish your posts still are after all these years.

I remember when you knew better than Ferguson all those times... if only he'd listened to your advice maybe he'd have had some success at United :lol:

He said he was an upgrade on Martial. He clearly isn't

What's childish in quoting stats?

Ah but running is everything these days. Its a shame that Robbie Savage isn't still around. He'll drag us to a treble win I guess.

foolsgold

Actually I disagree... if we are looking for players that cheap and are looking for someone to warm the bench and come and make a difference from time to time, we already have Greenwood and Chong who can play in that role and you won't need to spend 15m. That 15m could end up being very useful.
This kid is miles ahead of Chong. Tahith Chong played 17 times for the U23s this season, scoring 6 with 1 assist.

I'd like everyone to remember how bad our U23s are, they finished bottom of the table the previous season and were relegated to PL2, so 1 assist for a right winger in lower league U23s and people think he's on the fast track to the first team ??

Yeah, bollocks it is, it wasn't ideal for City neither, but they made it work. If anything you want to gradually improve your squad, hitting the reset button is a gamble at the very least. The last time we did it was under LVG and half the players turned out to be flops.
It was ideal for City and just because LVG made a mess doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing it now.
We’ve so much dross at United that has the gotten used to losing, that shipping 7 players out from the squad and replacing them with 4 new guaranteed first team players and 3 new young hungry squad players could work wonders.

littlepeasoup

This would be the type of signing that possibly signals how we're changing our transfer policy. Get a good young talent in and let him grow with the club.

beingshe7don

Not that we're signing him, but how has he "not done well" in the Championship? Because he hasn't scored 50 goals?
4 goals and 7 assists in the Championship in 33 games is not setting the world alight. You've got to be daft to think that I expect players that only score some crazy number of goals to be successful in the PL. It's more than just that.

JJ12

Neves and Jota were a typical big fish small pond scenario. Buffon and Del Piero played in the Serie B. No one say he was Serie B material.

I've yet to understand the hype behind Brooks. He scored 7 goals this season, 6 of which against small clubs. Some speak about him as if he's Messi.

PS we're talking about the same league in which Sessegnon looked like a world beater in it.
Everything is about goals and assists with you rather than watching players and their potential. He played for Bournemouth and that's a good return from midfield in any case.

Watch the games instead of using the first stat you can get your hands on. Offer something useful.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can't go wrong with a signing like this for a paltry sum.

He gave Slovakia a torrid time when he played against them not long ago. He was the most impressive attacker in the Welsh team in that particular game ahead of Bale and Brookes. Scored the only goal of the game too.

AndyMUFC

He’s extremely quick. I remember being very impressed with him when Swansea played City.

It’s worth a punt for sure. Young, hungry and another option in a position we’re lacking.

Fletchageddon

Hopefully this is the antidote to the malaise at the club. Young and exciting player by the looks of things. Get rid of Pogba, Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez and replace them with players of this ilk. Players who are stoked to play for United.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
An exciting signing and exactly the approach you should be taking.

Rather than buying someone else's stars, let them become stars at your club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? That's quite hypocritical but I haven't seen enough of it to say it's from the same group of posters coming up with conflicting views.
Yep. It’s like all those posters who were called out regarding the OGS stuff.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Well worth a punt at that price. Even as a bench player, he will frighten defences late in games with his pace.

I reckon Giggsy has recommended him.

devilish

Everything is about goals and assists with you rather than watching players and their potential. He played for Bournemouth and that's a good return from midfield in any case.

Watch the games instead of using the first stat you can get your hands on. Offer something useful.
No, everything is about giving the right contest. Sure Brooks is doing well but lets not go overboard. We've been on the hype train for too much time which is one one of the reasons why we're in this silly situation in the first place.

OL29

Martial is ahead of James right now and he is ahead of most current attacking players in the PL too. What Martial isn't, is ahead of the best attacking players in the league and not consistent enough to catapult us at the top. People need to make a difference between not being good and not being the best.
Agree with everything you said.

JJ12

He said he was an upgrade on Martial. He clearly isn't

What's childish in quoting stats?

Ah but running is everything these days. Its a shame that Robbie Savage isn't still around. He'll drag us to a treble win I guess.
I thought you'd be one of the people who completely miss the point when it comes to our team working harder.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Of course we can. It doesn't impact the budget massively and we need to be taking chances.
We will see. I just don’t trust our competency. Again, hope I’m wrong.

Nick7

4 goals and 7 assists in the Championship in 33 games is not setting the world alight. You've got to be daft to think that I expect players that only score some crazy number of goals to be successful in the PL. It's more than just that.
So goals and assists are all that matter?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Highlights of his Wales debut. He's number 20.

Sure this is a Giggs recommendation if it's is true, having worked with him closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.