Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I bet the people in here moaning about us signing that guy are the same ones who fume over us not getting players like Robertson and Alli.
Probably. I hope he turns out to be great but can we afford a gamble at this point in time?

Minimalist

What's up with Sky? A few years back, a deal announced by Sky was as good as done. Now, even they are totally unreliable. Journalist standards have dropped a lot.
Don’t ever remember that. They’ve always been shite as a source. Just look at the people they use when declaring deals to be done (like Ballbag).

beingshe7don

Don't know anything about this guy but cheap enough that there isn't much risk to us signing him.
Actually I disagree... if we are looking for players that cheap and are looking for someone to warm the bench and come and make a difference from time to time, we already have Greenwood and Chong who can play in that role and you won't need to spend 15m. That 15m could end up being very useful.

Maybe we should sign players that can go in our first team too. Maybe we will after tying up this one. Maybe we won't.

Let's look to last year and see how we followed up a youth signing :wenger:
Last year was a mess, I’m very hopeful that we’ll do very good business this Summer as there are simply so many more ”available” options in the positions we need strengthening.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's not about price. It's about us not having a single RW whilst having 3 LW's.
He's not going to the first team straight. He'll most likely be seen as a squad member firstly. 15m for us is nothing.
This signing will not hinder us in signing other players.

Where has this deslike of British/English talents come from. Constantly reading views like 'just another overrated British Young player' or 'No one would care if he wasn't English' blah blah blah.
Its pretty damn annoying to read. British talent has come along way recently and I believe it will continue to get better.
Hopfully we get this James deal tied down.

Mainoldo

Mo Salah at 21 was a flop at Chelsea
Mane had just signed for Red Bull after a fairly average season at Metz

You cant really compare Dan James at 21 to Salah and Mane at 27-28
I’m not I’m saying why are we buying the Metz and not even Basel version of these player. Stop getting romantic.. it’s like when we wanted Justin Kliuvert. Let this guy develop properly.. if he’s good enough we buy him at the Brooks stage at Bournemouth. Right now especially at this point of time in our history. This is a crap signing.

I’m just glad it’s all bull and the club aren’t literally this dumb. But you never know.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Redcafe is fun.

“We need to start signing these types of players before other clubs sign them up and he’s worth double the price a couple of years later”

United make a bid...

“Why the feck are we going for these players and not the players that are now worth quadruple the price?!?”

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I reckon we might look to bring more than one player in. Crazy, I know.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he was only right winger we signed — which I don’t think would be enough. Not surprising that people scrutinise our every transfer considering our recent dealings.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Probably. I hope he turns out to be great but can we afford a gamble at this point in time?
We're losing Lukaku, Sanchez and probably Mata maybe Martial at a push. We need more than one attacking signing and signing James won't hinder us signing other players. Anyway, how many times have we gone for a player who was supposed to be a sure thing and they ended up not working out? clue: two of them are mentioned at the start of this post

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Can see him being loaned back. Doubt he'd even be a squad player initially.

-Supreme-

New signings will always involve certain level of risks and building a new team will play a big part of this without a doubt.

We need to start investing in young & British players as our core base, with mixture of highly technical oversea players

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I see no issue with this signing. We laughed at Liverpool because they 'Gambled' £8m on Andy Robertson (a different position I know) and because we are Manchester United, we were patting ourselves on the back because we thought we was getting Alex Sandro. Ability counts for nothing in football if the attitude and application isn't there. £15m is nothing and give me a decent young player willing to learn and improve over the latest wonderkid from Brazil or Argentina who will no doubt upset the dressing room and want to eff off to Madrid or Barca in two years.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Redcafe is fun.

“We need to start signing these types of players before other clubs sign them up and he’s worth double the price a couple of years later”

United make a bid...

“Why the feck are we going for these players and not the players that are now worth quadruple the price?!?”
It's laughable.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The post "I'd rather have Brooks" sums it up nicely here.
He had three goals in the previous Championship season and was signed by Bournemouth for a similar price and yet most people would be happy to spend 40-45m(including me) just after one season.
I would personally prefer Brooks because we've seen more of him but more importantly I've been banging on about him or ages.

I'm not one of the people against the James signing though - could turn out to be brilliant business and at 15m well worth it.

JJ12

Actually I disagree... if we are looking for players that cheap and are looking for someone to warm the bench and come and make a difference from time to time, we already have Greenwood and Chong who can play in that role and you won't need to spend 15m. That 15m could end up being very useful.
What if Chong isn't anywhere near as good as this guy?

Which he isn't. Anyone who expects anything from Chong is in for a rude awakening.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It wouldn’t surprise me if he was only right winger we signed — which I don’t think would be enough. Not surprising that people scrutinise our every transfer considering our recent dealings.
Let's wait and see before losing our shit.

Snafu17

Media has been saying there is more likely to be five signings.
Which should be a RW, RB, CB and two CM's tbh. And I'm not sure if gambling on the one RW (who's possibly more of a LW) is the greatest idea. Course if this is a bonus signing that's fine.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I would personally prefer Brooks because we've seen more of him but more importantly I've been banging on about him or ages.

I'm not one of the people against the James signing though - could turn out to be brilliant business and at 15m well worth it.
I'm just saying that signing James wouldn't hinder our plans to sign Brooks(if we are interested in him).

JJ12

Which should be a RW, RB, CB and two CM's tbh. And I'm not sure if gambling on the one RW (who's possibly more of a LW) is the greatest idea.
Why do we believe everything the media say? Could sign 6 or 7. Could sign 1 or 2. They know feck all.

yamo123x

Good news, signing hungry young players part of the new philosophy.Hope it goes through

Cloud7

He’s fast and plays on the right wing? I’m sold! I don’t really like watching YouTube compilations of players so players like these are always a mystery to make, and it’s very exciting to see them for the first time, whenever that may be.

Which should be a RW, RB, CB and two CM's tbh. And I'm not sure if gambling on the one RW (who's possibly more of a LW) is the greatest idea.
My lord man, that is no defined number of signings that Manchester United can make in one Summer ffs.
It might be 5 top players and 3 low risk cheap gambles, no-one, not even Ole or Woodward knows right now.

If an interesting player is available at the right price, United will buy him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm just saying that signing James wouldn't hinder our plans to sign Brooks(if we are interested in him).
James and Brooks would be quite exciting. Although our front line would sound like PES master league team.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Redcafe is fun.

United make a bid...

Yeah like there's 100s of people with differing views.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
One trick pony and not good enough. We can't afford to get this wrong again. We need immediate impact.
Like Sanchez?

We need to be building for the future with young and hungry players. This kid fits the bill and at £15m why not?

Snafu17

Why do we believe everything the media say? Could sign 6 or 7. Could sign 1 or 2. They know feck all.
Meh, the thing about the five signings has been briefed. And Ole has talked about how we're unlikely to make more than five, which makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.